Football Manager 2012 - Activation / Steam FAQ

Q. Why choose Steam?

A. We chose Steam as they offer us the best protection against pre-release date Piracy.

Q. Do I need an Internet Connection to play Football Manager 2012?

A. You only need to be connected to the Internet to ‘Activate’ the game on Steam. You can then simply choose to play in ‘Offline’ mode.

Unfortunately, if you don’t have access to the internet, then you won’t be able to authenticate or play Football Manager 2012. When the decision was made by SEGA to go down this route this year, it was in full knowledge of that fact. The last time we had activation as a copy protection method 3 years ago, the telephone activation numbers were less than 4%. Even then after looking at those figures, we were made aware that some of those people had internet connections but just chose to activate by phone. It’s a huge shame for all of us that some people will not be able to play the game this year because they don’t have access to the internet, but there are very few PC games nowadays that don’t require the net. It’s a sign of the times, and commercial reality, unfortunately.

Q. How do I play in Offline Mode?

A. Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

To ensure Offline Mode works correctly we advise to connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to play offline at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Using Offline Mode on a PC.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the ‘Remember my password’ box on the login window is checked.

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as ‘100% - Ready’ it is ready to be played in Offline Mode).

3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played.

4. Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the ‘Don't save account credentials on this computer’ option is not selected.

5. From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline.

6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode.

Using Offline Mode on a Mac.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your Mac:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the ‘Remember my password’ box on the login window is checked.

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as ‘100% - Ready’ it is ready to be played in Offline Mode).

3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played

4. Go to Steam > Preferences to ensure the ‘Don't save account credentials on this computer’ option is not selected.

5. From the main Steam window, go to the Account menu and select Go Offline.

6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to continue.

Q. What information is required to set up a Steam account?

A. To create a Steam account all you will need to provide is an email address, username and password.

Q. Do I have to provide my credit card/payment details to Steam if I purchased a boxed copy (Disc)?

A. No. If you purchased the boxed version, you will not need to enter any payment details.

Q. What resources (Memory/Disk/etc) does Steam consume on PC/MAC?

A. On PC Steam uses very little resources and it will not be noticeable, the same goes for the MAC version, whilst not as highly optimised as the PC version, it uses around the same resources as a typical webpage being open.

Q. Why am I being forced to download and install a 3rd Party App?

A. The client comes on the disc, no download required. As does Direct X, and a bunch of other third party software, which also needs to be installed to play the game which, in turn, needs a third party operating system to run. The Steam client, in that respect, is no different to any of the other software, drivers, OS’ that need to be installed to make a computer work and games work – and is already installed on tens of millions of PC & Mac gamers machines.

Q. Who do I contact in the event of a problem when attempting to run Football Manager?

A. You should always contact SEGA Customer Services in the event of any problem. We will then work out how best to assist you. You can also find information on the SI Games Forums. We can also assist in escalating any problems you have with your Steam experience to the correct people. The only thing we cannot assist on is problems directly related to your Steam Account.

Q. What should I do if I’m having issues related to my Steam Account?

A. As stated previously, this is the only thing we cannot assist on; you will need to contact Steam Support directly: (https://support.steampowered.com/)

Q. What languages does Steam support?

A. Steam supports the following languages:

• English

• Dutch

• French

• Italian

• Korean

• Spanish

• Chinese (simplified & traditional)

• Russian

• Thai

• Japanese

• Portuguese

• Polish

• Danish

• Dutch

• Finnish

• Norwegian

• Swedish

• Hungarian

• Czech

• Romanian

• Turkish

• Portuguese (Brazilian)

• Bulgarian

Steam are also working with the community to translate into every language in the world, you can check progress and even participate here: (http://translation.steampowered.com/)

Q. What information does Steam collect?

A. Steam might collect information about the way you play your games; you can see the data collected here: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey. If you are selected for the survey you will be asked beforehand if you wish to participate and will have the opportunity to opt out. Any data collected is completely anonymous.

Q. What happens if I’ve activated the game already and the Steam servers are currently down? Can I play Football Manager 2012?

A. If you have set your Steam client to run in Offline Mode and have checked the game works, then yes, whether the Steam servers are up or not is irrelevant, you will be able to play the game.

Q. Are there options in Steam to turn off automatic game updates?

A. Yes, Launch the Steam client, go to the game Library and select your game (FM12 in this instance), right click or CTRL+CLICK (Mac), select Properties and in the window, select the ‘Updates’ tab and then from the drop down select: “Do not automatically update this game”.

Q. Can I install Football Manager 2012 on multiple computers?

A. Yes. When activated once on your Steam account, all you have to do to play the game on a new computer is install Steam and re-download the game from your Steam games library. You can do this on as many computers as you like; the only limitation is that you can only log in to your Steam account on one computer at a time.

Q. Can I play more than 1 copy of Football Manager 2012 at a time?

A. As mentioned, you can have the game installed on more than one machine at a time, but you can only play on a single machine. If you were playing on your desktop and then moved to your laptop, you would need to log-in to Steam on your laptop, which would then sign you out of your desktop.

Q. Can I activate an imported version of Football Manager 2012 on my Steam account?

A. Yes. The Steam servers are not region locked, so you can activate the game from anywhere. However, you will not be able to buy through Steam in any countries where we don’t sell the game, and we don’t market or localise the game in any of these regions either.

Q. What happens if I lose or damage my disc?

A. The benefit of Steam is that you can download the complete game direct from Steam. Simply log-in to your Steam account, select the ‘Game Library’ and this will tell you if Football Manager 2012 is installed, if it is not, you can simply click and then select ‘install’. The game downloaded will automatically be the latest version, so there is no need to worry about patches etc, as in previous years.

Archived