Anyone else feeling dizzy while looking on the pitch on FM 12?

It's simulation sickness although I'm very surprised that you can experience it in a game like this where the perception of depth is deliberately limited. It surprisingly affects quite a lot of the population, however. I'm one of those - I can't play FPSs (except Counter-Strike for some weird reason) because I get sick after a short amount of time. I even get sick playing Minecraft...

i think i found out why...

i think the camera shakes too much this year, its not steady enough

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true... For example, in Minecraft, users who experience simulation sickness are recommended to turn "bobbing" off (i.e. when you walk in Minecraft, your head bobs up and down and so does the camera) and adjust the field-of-view to a wider angle.
In the preferences for Display - do you have "depth of field" selected?

This causes some things to go in and out of focus. Perhaps turn this feature off?

Give this one a try. Depth of field might help a little but it's really field of view that needs to be adjusted, however.
Absolutely. It's like the grass brightness has been turned up to 11. It's SO bright.

This actually contributes to simulation sickness as it tires your eyes out by forcing them to work harder, and when you do this you end up focussing more, which makes simulation sickness even worse.

I really hope SI are looking at this as a lot of people don't actually know simulation sickness even exists, and you can bet people are not posting about this as there is no reason to tie it to a video game without this knowledge. Games that make people physically sick are not enjoyable games.

There are remedies and medicines such as ginger pills that supposedly work, but I am not a doctor and you should consult the appropriate medical people if you want to try this.

It's simulation sickness although I'm very surprised that you can experience it in a game like this where the perception of depth is deliberately limited. It surprisingly affects quite a lot of the population, however. I'm one of those - I can't play FPSs (except Counter-Strike for some weird reason) because I get sick after a short amount of time. I even get sick playing Minecraft...

I know it well. :(

I use the dark skin within the game. I find it helps with the eye strain. I work at a computer about 90% of the day and then play FM too. It's quite a strain. When you're looking at a screen you don't blink as often which is bad for your eyes.

Take regular breaks, about 5 minutes every hour. And take the time to look at something in the distance for about 5 minutes.

Might help to adjust the brightness and contrast on the screen.

And as an aside - it could be vertigo contributing to simulation sickness, as the camera is located so high above the ground. Plus you not only see the pitch - in modern incarnations, you see a lot of the stadium, too, so it doesn't look like things running around on a sheet of paper, but a rather tall view of a very in-depth area with camera movement.

And as an aside - it could be vertigo contributing to simulation sickness, as the camera is located so high above the ground. Plus you not only see the pitch - in modern incarnations, you see a lot of the stadium, too, so it doesn't look like things running around on a sheet of paper, but a rather tall view of a very in-depth area with camera movement.

Vertigo isn't about height.

"Not to be confused with Acrophobia.

This article is about the medical condition. For other uses, see Vertigo (disambiguation).

Vertigo

Horizontal optokinetic nystagmus, a symptom which can accompany vertigo.

Vertigo /ˈvɜrtɨɡoʊ/ (from the Latin vertō "a whirling or spinning movement"[1]) is a type of dizziness, where there is a feeling of motion when one is stationary.[2] The symptoms are due to a dysfunction of the vestibular system in the inner ear.[2] It is often associated with nausea and vomiting as well as difficulties standing or walking."

It actually feels like an extreme version of motion sickness.

• 5 months later...

just googled to find this....think this is happening me and has for 3 months!

Been keeping a food diary and am on meds thinking it was a food thing....but now think it might be motion sickness from FM, its the only thing that stacks up....cut it out for a week and feel better!

Now trying to start up again with an elevated camera angle....anyone else have any other suggestions on how to minimise this effect?

Archived