Is there any way we can see the pool of player names for regens?

The reason I ask, is because every now and then you get a player with the same first name, and last name (Scott Scott is a popular one), and I've got a player in my youth team called "John Johnson" - So I'd just like to see the pool of names to see how likely it is this would happen.

Also, why are the more traditional names SO popular in the game.? In england, I get a lot of regens names "Smith / Adams / Clarke / White" - and its just not the case in real life football.

The reason I ask, is because every now and then you get a player with the same first name, and last name (Scott Scott is a popular one), and I've got a player in my youth team called "John Johnson" - So I'd just like to see the pool of names to see how likely it is this would happen.

Also, why are the more traditional names SO popular in the game.? In england, I get a lot of regens names "Smith / Adams / Clarke / White" - and its just not the case in real life football.

Don't really know the answer to your first question although it might be linked to the answer to your second question.

Obviously the only people who know for sure are the coders but I would hazard a guess that it is a probability distribution based on some set of real life data (probably census results for each country).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JontyBB8:

Yes, Scott Scott is very frequent. It always gets a laugh from me.

Regen names are, and always have been, generated from the names of players already existing in the database, country by country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure? I've seen "new" names about before. They MAY have already been in the DB, but I've never seen them in game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Also, why are the more traditional names SO popular in the game.? In england, I get a lot of regens names "Smith / Adams / Clarke / White" - and its just not the case in real life football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there are lots of Smith, Adams, Clarke and White surnamed people around IRL

What happens is that they compile all of the last names and first names of every player of that country in the database. Then, a regen of that same nationality will have a first name and a last name from the individual country database.

For instance, the first name "Scott", and the last name "Scott" may appear in the New Zealand database so it's possible a New Zealand regen can be called Scott Scott. I think that's also how they name the gray players. That's why gray players will occasionally have Brazilian names (because Brazilian nationals play for Azerbaijan for instance). Some countries use a "set" of names, sometimes incorrectly. That's why the Zambian gray players are all called stuff like Simon Jones when they should have African names. SI mistakenly applied the English name set to Zambia when they needed a South African name set.

I would actually be really interested in finding an accurate selection of names for each country to name the gray players/regens with. Hint Hint, SI.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, why are the more traditional names SO popular in the game.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one has always annoyed me. It's the same basic names over and over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by homerjnick:

You can download EDT files from the Editors Hideaway that add regen names, I have about 30 EDT files that someone wrote that has future regen names for loads of countries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif - Cheers.

And phnompenhandy, do nicknames count?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Also, why are the more traditional names SO popular in the game.? In england, I get a lot of regens names "Smith / Adams / Clarke / White" - and its just not the case in real life football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i doubt there's a pool of 'firstname + surname' otherwise that would be a massive folder.

more like they have a pool of firstnames, and a pool of surnames, and then take one from each and put them together.

so 'scott scott' should be no more likely than 'scott hibbert'

and more traditional names arelikely to be more popuylar in game because they are more common anyway.

probably the same thing that someone else mentioned on here where apple had to make their 'random play' feature not so random because people were thinking it wasn't random

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Profesor:

I doubt even there is such a pool. The game most likely simply pulls first and surnames from the database in keeping with the nationality of the regen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea. I've noticed a funny trend with the portuguese-speaking countries though;

The game not only puts together names from players/staff of the same country, but also of that speak the same language, and some countries seem to get the more obscure names rather than the popular ones. Therefore, Cape Verdian players normally get obscure first names + obscure second names from scattered Portuguese players - which is rather funny sometimes.

Slightly off topic, but I feel it's worthy of adding.

In my last save game as napoli, I hired an ass man, a GK coach and a scout, all of whom happened to be scottish (purely coincidental). What I then found however was that in subsequent years of regens, about 1/4 of them were scottish, and all of them had the scottish staff in their favoured personnel! After 4 years napoli had about 10 scottish regens in their reserves!!!

One of the reasons i quit that game, anyone else had this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nojabold:

Slightly off topic, but I feel it's worthy of adding.

In my last save game as napoli, I hired an ass man, a GK coach and a scout, all of whom happened to be scottish (purely coincidental). What I then found however was that in subsequent years of regens, about 1/4 of them were scottish, and all of them had the scottish staff in their favoured personnel! After 4 years napoli had about 10 scottish regens in their reserves!!!

One of the reasons i quit that game, anyone else had this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it decides in on your backroom staffs knowledge.

if you have a spnaish coach, it's probably safe to say that he has a high knowledge of spain.

so you will start to get more youth players promoted who are spanish.

the same goes for if you have affiliate clubs from france or whereever.

couldn't say whether it was too much or too few though.

Archived