Aging player 'available now' as coach... How does it work?

So, I recently had a chat with 34yo John Terry about him becoming an excellent coach when he'll retire, and he told me "I could make myself available now, if you like", so I said it would have been fantastic, thank you, bye, chat over...

The thing is, there's no follow-up whatsoever... If I negotiate a contract he just keeps on demanding a playing role... No Coach, not even Player/Coach...

How do I turn a very positive (and profitable) scenario into something more than empty words?

^WHS

My 36 year old captain's attributes were plummeting fast, so I tipped him to be a coach. He said the same thing and immediately his coach attributes showed up. They were phenomenal. I offered him a coaching contract - he'd have been by far my best coach. He accepted. The board intervened and said I didn't need another coach so he left for Telford. Now the gits are having a go at me for letting a club legend go. Grrrrrrrr

^WHS

My 36 year old captain's attributes were plummeting fast, so I tipped him to be a coach. He said the same thing and immediately his coach attributes showed up. They were phenomenal. I offered him a coaching contract - he'd have been by far my best coach. He accepted. The board intervened and said I didn't need another coach so he left for Telford. Now the gits are having a go at me for letting a club legend go. Grrrrrrrr

I would of quickly got rid of a coach with poorer attributes if possible then offered him another contract or did Telford snatch him straight away?

I had a similar issue with Jamie Carragher. I had the same conversation with him as RBKalle had and managed to offer him a player\coach contract. The problem I had was when he eventually retired as a player. He would only accept a coaching role if he got the same wages he did as a player. Obviously there is no way I was going to pay a coach 90k+ a week. I couldnt find a way to get him to accept a more sensible wage so had to let him go.

I always wait for players to retire from playing before offering them a coaching role.

Acker mate, you're still around! Brilliant!

I'm my case, the 36-year old captain, already the highest-paid player, was into his last 6 months and wanted a new contract on more money. His attributes were dropping so rapidly that he was already a liability and hindering a sharp kid's progress. I couldn't afford to keep him on as back-up, and I couldn't afford to pay compensation to release a coach. He signed a pre-release with Telford, so I really had no control over the matter. He's seeing out his time until Jan 1st in the reserves and I've already transferred the captaincy to his 18 year-old replacement (in retrospect maybe unwisely; he's starting too many matches complacent!)

Worst thing is if you do ask them to become a coach while they are still players, there season statistics reset to zero!

Great testing there by SI!!!

It occured quite a lot with my ac milan saves in 11.2.1 but haven't seen one in 11.3

Worst thing is if you do ask them to become a coach while they are still players, there season statistics reset to zero!

Great testing there by SI!!!

Didn't happen to me either in 11.3. If it is a bug in the newest patch it must be a freak occurrence :p

Archived