Too many bookings and sending-offs?

Picture1-2.png

Discuss? I have only played 11 league games and look how many bookings and sending offs I get. Anyone else experiencing unusual bookings and sending offs all the time?

Hahaha! Not you again?..... Well guess what? I agree with you again! Far too many bookings, sending offs and fouls in my opinion.

Hahaha! Not you again?..... Well guess what? I agree with you again! Far too many bookings, sending offs and fouls in my opinion.

Only trying to make the game better. I hold my hands up say im not always right - unfortunately some people on here jump the band waggon and have a go at people and also fail to hold their hands up and admit they are wrong sometimes.

Although I feel I am correct with this one.

your team does seem to be doing worse than the AI, is scott brown your captain? I did find when playing with Aberdeen i got more bookings with Zander as captain, he would tend to lose discipline when things were going wrong or if a team mate had been crocked, then he would get booked followed by a few others.

your team does seem to be doing worse than the AI, is scott brown your captain? I did find when playing with Aberdeen i got more bookings with Zander as captain, he would tend to lose discipline when things were going wrong or if a team mate had been crocked, then he would get booked followed by a few others.

I sold Scott Brown. Mt captain is switched around so that theory is out of the pan ;)

The AI still seems to be getting a lot of bookings and sending off's considering we are barely in double figures for game splayed.

Picture1-2.png

Discuss? I have only played 11 league games and look how many bookings and sending offs I get. Anyone else experiencing unusual bookings and sending offs all the time?

I'm happy to discuss - It really does depend on your tactics, your players and how you talk to them.

First off lets look at some RL figures from the SPL:

2010/11 - Red Cards - Aberdeen & Hibernian top the list with 4 each while the rest of the clubs are evenly spread between 3, 2 & 1 each.

2009/10 - Red Cards - 50 red cards shown in the full season with Aberdeen the worst offenders with 10 (average of 4 per team).

2010/11 - Yellow Cards - 384 shown so far with St Mirren the highest on 39, Rangers the lowest with 26 (Average of 32 per team approx halfway through the season).

2009/10 - Yellow Cards - 750 shown last season with Hearts the worst with 79 & Motherwell the best with 36 (Average of 62.5 per team over the season).

From what I can see from your screenshot you have 9 red & 31 yellow and you are maybe a third of the way through the season which is certainly higher than RL figures, especially the reds.

However you can't say this is a problem/bug unless others have the same issue and you have tried things to alter your discipline problem.

Personally I've played one season on FM11 in the Indonesian league (where two yellows = a one match ban & a red = a three match ban). Over the season I had two red cards (one two footed tackle & one professional foul) + a number of yellows but over the season I had less than 10 players suspended in total (I'll look for the actual figs when I load the game later).

However that said in FM10 I had a problem with De Rossi whilst at Roma, first season he had four red cards, second season three red cards + all the yellows. I constantly fined him, complained at him but it didn't seem to do any good. Other players playing his role didn't have the same discipline problems so I knew it wasn't my tactics it was him. I was on the verge of selling him in the third season and then he suddenly calmed down. I can't explain how or why but suddenly his level of cards fell to a more expected level.

In terms of advice I would say warn & fine players who get reds, especially for violent/dangerous tackles. Look at why your players get cards, it might not be aggression, for instance it could be late tackles because his decisions or anticipation or tackling is low. Tactic wise its not just hard tackling that causes cards, look at your closing down and how tired players are getting.

Looks like a lot of the cards are coming in cup games, are you kicking them off the park in Europe?

No, the players that got sent off were not set to hard tackling apart from McCourt who chopped a player down when he was clean through. Don't know why they kept getting send off in Europe, ironically when someone got sent off I usually got a player injured straight after so had to play some games with 9 men.

The AI still seems to be getting a lot of bookings and sending off's considering we are barely in double figures for game splayed.

For the league it looks like a total of 13 cards after 11 games, compared to the real life tally of 24 red cards after 18 games. Looks about right, perhaps a little low if anything.

I sold Scott Brown. Mt captain is switched around so that theory is out of the pan ;)

not really Caly are getting approx 1.5 bookings a game, hearts around the same with Black recieving the most, very realistic he is a knob anyway. St Mirren are only getting 1 a game, i wouldnt say that was too unrealistic. The 13 red cards in approx 13 weeks is maybe a bit too much, depends how many were second bookings and how many were straight reds.

I'm happy to discuss - It really does depend on your tactics, your players and how you talk to them.

First off lets look at some RL figures from the SPL:

2010/11 - Red Cards - Aberdeen & Hibernian top the list with 4 each while the rest of the clubs are evenly spread between 3, 2 & 1 each.

2009/10 - Red Cards - 50 red cards shown in the full season with Aberdeen the worst offenders with 10 (average of 4 per team).

2010/11 - Yellow Cards - 384 shown so far with St Mirren the highest on 39, Rangers the lowest with 26 (Average of 32 per team approx halfway through the season).

2009/10 - Yellow Cards - 750 shown last season with Hearts the worst with 79 & Motherwell the best with 36 (Average of 62.5 per team over the season).

From what I can see from your screenshot you have 9 red & 31 yellow and you are maybe a third of the way through the season which is certainly higher than RL figures, especially the reds.

However you can't say this is a problem/bug unless others have the same issue and you have tried things to alter your discipline problem.

Personally I've played one season on FM11 in the Indonesian league (where two yellows = a one match ban & a red = a three match ban). Over the season I had two red cards (one two footed tackle & one professional foul) + a number of yellows but over the season I had less than 10 players suspended in total (I'll look for the actual figs when I load the game later).

However that said in FM10 I had a problem with De Rossi whilst at Roma, first season he had four red cards, second season three red cards + all the yellows. I constantly fined him, complained at him but it didn't seem to do any good. Other players playing his role didn't have the same discipline problems so I knew it wasn't my tactics it was him. I was on the verge of selling him in the third season and then he suddenly calmed down. I can't explain how or why but suddenly his level of cards fell to a more expected level.

In terms of advice I would say warn & fine players who get reds, especially for violent/dangerous tackles. Look at why your players get cards, it might not be aggression, for instance it could be late tackles because his decisions or anticipation or tackling is low. Tactic wise its not just hard tackling that causes cards, look at your closing down and how tired players are getting.

I'm not even quarter way through my season mate. I discipline my players if they get sent off. Can't understand why Cooper keeps getting so many bookings - most of his sending offs are due to two yellow cards. I tell them in most games I expect them to win and I get angry if they are loosing or not winning at half time - especially true against pap teams we are playing.

No, the players that got sent off were not set to hard tackling apart from McCourt who chopped a player down when he was clean through. Don't know why they kept getting send off in Europe, ironically when someone got sent off I usually got a player injured straight after so had to play some games with 9 men.

Does it tend to happen in games when you are playing teams who are better than you? I had the same problem with Sabadell in La Liga, in our first season my defenders couldn't cope with the strikers and just kept hacking them out.

Does it tend to happen in games when you are playing teams who are better than you? I had the same problem with Sabadell in La Liga, in our first season my defenders couldn't cope with the strikers and just kept hacking them out.

Well a lot of sending offs in Europe - better teams, most of them yes but not all and I still get a player sent off. In the SPL I am better than most teams (obvious I know) and still get players sent off and receive a lot of bookings.

Well a lot of sending offs in Europe - better teams, most of them yes but not all and I still get a player sent off. In the SPL I am better than most teams (obvious I know) and still get players sent off and receive a lot of bookings.

What does this screen look like for you, are you miles ahead of all the other teams?

If so, there is a probably a combination of tactics/team talks/player attributes etc. that could be causing this.

perhaps with your team talks you are getting the players too wound up, if you are using the harsh team talks too often your team could be flying into unneeded challenges because they are desperate to avoid your post match wrath!!

That's a good suggestion mate, I'll give that a try with my save and see if it works.

Dafuge has brought up a good point with European competition and I can confidently say the number of fouls/cards do vary from country to country so if your used to playing in Scotland/England then your more likely to pick up cards in European competition.

I also wanted to add how much note do you take of the pre match stuff and how much of your games do you watch.

Pre Match do you take note of the referees? how many cards they have given out? Do you alter your tactics if the referee is particularly harsh or lenient?

In the match do you use the widgets? do you take note of players that suffer from indiscipline? look like they are going to get booked? do you change their orders/instructions?

That's a good suggestion mate, I'll give that a try with my save and see if it works.

i know with the big teams its easy to think you should be a lot more harsh and demanding and at times you do, you expect bigger and better things, rightly so, i did struggle a bit starting a game with AC, i usualy play with the dons or small teams, but i found myself demanding wins before and at half time, but i kept getting a lot of cards, so i eased the pressure a bit and now my team seems to flow better and the cards have come down, i also changed captain to someone less aggressive, hence why i asked about Scott Brown, this seem to help a bit as well. I now also fine anyone who gets sent off, be it for two bookings or not, even if players complain i can usualy calm them down instantly although this probably hasnt helped as much as id like to think, Rino has lost about 3 months wages in two seasons!!!

Remember to check Opposition Instructions, they override any Player or Team. If you're automatically setting your Ass Man's advice he's most likely to have one or two of the opposition to be tackled Hard

I don't have that problem Johnny, I never use 'Oppo Instructions' at all so it shouldn't be an issue. I like Milnerpoint's idea of toning down the team talks though and I'll definitely give that a go.

Dafuge has brought up a good point with European competition and I can confidently say the number of fouls/cards do vary from country to country so if your used to playing in Scotland/England then your more likely to pick up cards in European competition.

I also wanted to add how much note do you take of the pre match stuff and how much of your games do you watch.

Pre Match do you take note of the referees? how many cards they have given out? Do you alter your tactics if the referee is particularly harsh or lenient?

In the match do you use the widgets? do you take note of players that suffer from indiscipline? look like they are going to get booked? do you change their orders/instructions?

All thats too much effort for me :D

I want to enjoy the game not analyse it to my death bed ;)

Never take note of referees as I expect the same in every game regardless of who is refereeing. Whats a widget? pardon my dumbness here.

All thats too much effort for me :D

I want to enjoy the game not analyse it to my death bed ;)

Well the more you put into the game the more you get out of it.

If you want to rush through and not do anything then perhaps FM isn't the game for you.

11 red cards and only half-way through the season seems a lot for me when i dominate most games.

hmm maybe yes, how many were second yellows? Not sure if thats an easy stat to find to be honest.

Also i take it your still in all the cups and stuff? Perhaps players could be getting tired in the second half and thus making silly mistakes or challenges, maybe not the player booked but one around him who could have put your team in an akward position and someone had to bail him out. Do you use OI's? Out of interest who are you playing as captain? I know you said you rotated but one must be your "official" captain.

hmm maybe yes, how many were second yellows? Not sure if thats an easy stat to find to be honest.

Also i take it your still in all the cups and stuff? Perhaps players could be getting tired in the second half and thus making silly mistakes or challenges, maybe not the player booked but one around him who could have put your team in an akward position and someone had to bail him out. Do you use OI's? Out of interest who are you playing as captain? I know you said you rotated but one must be your "official" captain.

It seems its 50/50 between 2 yellows and straight red but I don't take too much notice of that statistic to be honest but it seems 2 yellows are taking over. If my players are getting tired early on then the game engine needs a kick because they should not be getting that tired when they are strolling in games and red cards and even happening in the first half. Captain is Majstarovic.

Try pressing less. It makes a difference, and try defending deeper. What's almost certainly happening is that your players are getting caught ouf position, and making poor challenges out of desperation.

I like to play up the field so I'm not changing my tactic because the game engine cant get my players to think rationally. Some of these sending offs are not in desperation and not out of position either.

I like to play up the field so I'm not changing my tactic because the game engine cant get my players to think rationally. Some of these sending offs are not in desperation and not out of position either.

I suspected that was the case, and if this is so you need to accept the consequences of the trade-off :)

In my first game of FM2011 I was also getting many more yellow and red cards than opposing teams, and it was for a similar reason. Since changing my tactics to a more balanced approach, I've been only getting one or two yelllow cards a game on average. You don't have to change, but if you don't you need to accept that there is a price.

2009/10 stats:

Reds...

Aberdeen 10

Dundee Utd 9

Hearts 9

St Mirren 5

Rangers 5

Hibernian 4

Celtic 4

Kilmarnock 1

Motherwell 1

St Johnstone 1

Hamilton 1

Yellows...

Aberdeen 75

Celtic 52

Dundee Utd 64

Falkirk 66

Hamilton 60

Hearts 79

Hibernian 68

Kilmarnock 63

Motherwell 36

Rangers 58

St Johnstone 71

St Mirren 58

Here are my stats in FM....

Picture2-4.png

Picture1-3.png

Sorry but thats not acceptable.

Its not the ME's fault that you won't adapt and help yourself. This is a management game, you select the players and give instructions. If you want to play a style that attracts cards thats fine but you can't then complain when you receive them.

EDIT

I did also post the RL stats way back in post 14.

Sorry but thats not acceptable.

Its not the ME's fault that you won't adapt and help yourself. This is a management game, you select the players and give instructions. If you want to play a style that attracts cards thats fine but you can't then complain when you receive them.

EDIT

I did also post the RL stats way back in post 14.

Look at the stats above mate I've posted. I'm not the only team struggling to not get bookings and sending offs. In FM10 there weren't as nearly many bookings or sending offs as this.

Look at the stats above mate I've posted. I'm not the only team struggling to not get bookings and sending offs. In FM10 there weren't as nearly many bookings or sending offs as this.

Urm, yes lets look at those.

RL 2009/10 - 50 red cards - 750 yellow cards

JP 2010/11 - 46 red cards - 476 yellow cards

Most red cards - RL 10 (Aberdeen)

Most red cards - JP 7 (Celtic/St Johnstone)

Least red cards - RL 1 (Kilmarnock/Motherwell/St Johnstone/Hamilton)

Least red cards - JP 1 (Inverness CT/Motherwell)

Most yellow cards - RL 79 (Hearts)

Most yellow cards - JP 50 (Dundee Utd/Hibernian)

Least yellow cards - RL 36 (Motherwell)

Least yellow cards - JP 28 (Rangers

Where is your problem?

If anything the number of yellow cards needs increasing!

Those last few screenshots and real life stats tell a very different story. In terms of yellow cards you are average for the league you are in, but compared to the real life stats it would be the second lowest amount. Even for red cards (which you have the most) it would put you 4th against the real life stats. This looks like good evidence for there not being enough cards in the SPL.

Archived