Influence attribute

I have been thinking,not only for FM11 but generally.

Is influence the attribute that should drop when player moves club,because naturally he cant be as influential as he was at his previous club,and game can not recognize that at the moment. I can by important player from mediocre club where he was influential and he becomes better candidate for captain than some high profile player grown from high profile club.

I hope you understand what am i talking about.

cheers

Capitancy has much more to do with than Influence. The whole team has to find him influencial, the majority of them have to like him to a certain extent and he has to be a regular starter. A player can be influencial no matter where he goes, but whether he deserves to be captain is a different question.

Not to mention, if you buy someone with 20 influence as Arsenal, and you replace Fabregas' capitancy with that new player, watch the moral drop on your whole team :) It'll be like christmas, but a lot more red.

Influence is still important though. If you unjustly discipline a player, I believe that his influence affects how many other players become upset. More generally, the subject is a difficult one to capture with a single attribute because it has (at least) two components. To put it simply, there's club standing and world standing. An unknown player, mired in the lower leagues, toiling away for a relegation-bound nonentity, can still have great influence within that team. If he is suddenly and miraculously elevated to Arsenal, his influence will (and should) disappear, at least for a time. Conversely, an aging EPL superstar with modest influence at Chelsea will become a deity at Futility United immediately upon his arrival. FM does not properly reflect any of this. So, I think Goran has a good suggestion and SI should consider a modest revision to the Influence attribute.

To OP: Perceive the influence attribute as natural charisma. That sort of thing. It doesn't change where you are.

I don't have the manual (Steam download) - But Influence attribute plays a much bigger role than the captains influence. I can't find the thread, but there is one lurking about somewhere, that describes which attribute does what. I'm sure someone will be able to link it :D

That thread says influence has only one use and that's captaincy:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238231-Player-Attributes-Explained

It's still speculation though.

Just because a player changes clubs doesn't mean they are any less of an influential presence to other players, granted it's usually people that have been at a club for a while that are captains but doesn't mean a new guys skill at it drops, just means he's new to the team and the usual etiquette is that team icons get it.

Influence is a sign of leadership, being a captain is a position of leadership and respect. The only reason a leader new to a team doesn't get a captaincy is because A: they have a captain already B: they have to earn the respect portion first. But it's not totally unheard of for players new to a team, vets especially, to get a captaincy. Not just in football but any pro sport.

IMO (and that's all we're bantering about here, is opinions (unless/until SI chimes in)), Influence is that part of a player's personality which enables him to sway others to his point of view and/or change others' attitudes. It has nothing to do with how long a person has been in a given place. How convicing is he?

To OP: Perceive the influence attribute as natural charisma. That sort of thing. It doesn't change where you are.

That thread says influence has only one use and that's captaincy:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238231-Player-Attributes-Explained

It's still speculation though.

Interesting. I'm almost 100% certain the influence attribute has more impact than that. I've searched for ages to try and find the thread, but can't find it. Maybe, just maybe, I am wrong :D

I think it says somewhere on the SI manual that the captain's overall personality has a role to play in captaincy. Being a born leader or leader or model professional is what makes him a natural choice as captain.

About the original question. An established influential player arriving at a new club should be just as respected and influential at his new club too. But once again, the manual says (as far as I remember) that the player should have been at the club for a few seasons before being set as captain.

Say, if Zidane moves from Juventus to Real, he is still Zidane and therefore still influential. But Raul who has been at the club since he was a kid would still be chosen captain. But Zizou would not be any less influential.

Influence is still important though. If you unjustly discipline a player, I believe that his influence affects how many other players become upset. More generally, the subject is a difficult one to capture with a single attribute because it has (at least) two components. To put it simply, there's club standing and world standing. An unknown player, mired in the lower leagues, toiling away for a relegation-bound nonentity, can still have great influence within that team. If he is suddenly and miraculously elevated to Arsenal, his influence will (and should) disappear, at least for a time. Conversely, an aging EPL superstar with modest influence at Chelsea will become a deity at Futility United immediately upon his arrival. FM does not properly reflect any of this. So, I think Goran has a good suggestion and SI should consider a modest revision to the Influence attribute.

Influence has nothing to do with how many people get "unhappy" if you misstreat a player. The way that works is through Friendship.

I.e. If you **** off Fabregas, Rosicky will get unhappy, if Rosicky is unhappy, one of his friends in the squad has the potential to be unhappy. etc. Obviously its more complicated than that. It all depends on how liked the manager is at the squad etc, but overall this is how it should play out, and not being impacted by influence.

Also, it doesn't matter what level the player plays at. A player from a lower league could be more influencial just because of his personality, professionalism, despite him not being exactly more talented or well known.

I think the most important thing is the find out who the team itself finds influencial.

I remember in FM10 in my Atl. Madrid save, Lopez was the captain but the team was finding it hard to motivate to play under him, Forlan in that version had a fairly low influence so I was considering promoting Simao from vice to Captain, but first I went through the "Personal" section of every single player. The majority found Forlan an "Influencial Player", despite him being only the 4th highest Influence attribute in the squad and not being captain or vice captain. I promoted him and the whole squad was happy.

I tend to "ignore" influence nowadays unless it is lower than 12-13. At that point, they can't lead. Also I look at age, and professionalism in a player. I tend to prefer a more professional player over a more influencial player.

Interesting. I'm almost 100% certain the influence attribute has more impact than that. I've searched for ages to try and find the thread, but can't find it. Maybe, just maybe, I am wrong :D

There was a thread with a musing about influence being the likelihood of a player being passed to by either SFraser or lam, but there was little evidence to support it and testing by isuckatfm seemed to indicate that it didn't really play a role.

Post 15 says that PaulC has said that influence is just down to captaincy.

Archived