What's the point of the reserves?

I am sure this has been mentioned in passing in some other threads, but I've done a search and can't seem to find any....

So, what's the point of the reserves, and how do i sign a player for the future who is happy to be in the reserves?

I'm playing as Liverpool, so in the first season signed two or three big name signings and had a successful year. So in the second close-season I decide to strengthen my reserves/build for the future so I have a number of players coming through who in three seasons will qualify as home grown.

Having shipped out he dead wood in the reserves I start signing players of 18-19. Players like Adam Barton, Nathan Redmond, Connor Wickham, and quite a few youngsters (some regens some not) from around Europe. To a man they are all signed on contracts as either 'youngster' or 'hot prospect'.

As with previous versions of the game any new player seems to default to the first team squad. However, as I've discovered to my annoyance, not a single one of them will accept being moved to another squad. The first one I simply moved without thinking, only to find in my news thread that the players in a hissy with me. I have a chat and say "if you do well you'll be moved to the first team squad" (or words to that effect). H?e chucks his dummy and demands a transfer.

OK I think, lets approach this differently. I go to my next new signing and have a chat, saying "I'm going to move you to the reserves for a bit to aid your development" (or words to that effect). Same result - the player spits their dummy and demands to move. So far I've got two players demanding a transfer on the day they've signed.

So with the rest I've simply left them in the main squad with 'can play for reserves' selected. I'm half way through the season, not one of them has made a single appearance for my first team in any competition, they've all played consistently for the reserves, and they're all perfectly happy with this.

So, what the heck's the point of the reserve squad? You can't sign youngsters and move them there, but can effectively run a virtual reserve squad by having 30+ players in your first team, half with 'play for reserves' selected. The only player s in my reserve squad are Stephen Darby and Milan Jovanovic who I'm trying to sell. Oddly neither of them seem upset about being in the reserve squad.

My reserve squad has about 30 players in it

I think it's to do with reputation though

Test: signed Verratti and moved him there (whinge)

reload: signed Kallstrom, Cairney and others, then moved Verratti there (no whinge by Verratti)

Hmmmm, interesting, will have to experiment more. reputation is fast becoming the bane of my FM2011 experience....

I moved Norveldt to the Reserves & he had a paddy, I tried the same talk & he had a bigger paddy & has had very low morale ever since. Luckily he's on Loan :D

I just mark the first teamers who need match fitness as available for the reserves, no problem there

I moved Norveldt to the Reserves & he had a paddy, I tried the same talk & he had a bigger paddy & has had very low morale ever since. Luckily he's on Loan :D

I just mark the first teamers who need match fitness as available for the reserves, no problem there

Yeah, that's what I've ended up doing, but it seem daft, and sort of makes actually having a separate reserve squad totally redundant. Plus my first team squad screen is now clogged up with loads of players I have no intention of playing most games....

There has always been a game pop-up hint that says something about using the reserves to bring players fitness up etc

But for me the reserves have always been a death trap ... it happens to me far to often that putting a player into reserves is almost a guarantee they will get injured.

I think players with Squad Rotation status and below should accept being moved to reserves.

I would understand if First Team or Indispensable got upset with a move to reserve squad but those below this status should move freely without being upset.

Now whether they’re happy to have Squad Rotation status and below in the first place, that’s another story, and should be different from which squad they are placed with.

I promote youth players to my reserves, but senior players I will only 'make available for reserve squad', if they are not getting games/returning from injury etc. This does not make them unhappy.

Tell that to Robin Van Persie, who requested a transfer for being made available for a reserve match...

I think most players who believe they are in the First Team will whine if moved permanently to Reserves (which s what you do), but many will accept having to play a reserves game sometimes. But I also think that players in the new game react totally unrealistaclly. I mean you sign an 18-year old Hot Prospect and say I'll put you in the reserves for year or two ... he then hands in a request transfer .. thats just stupid.

Hopefully SI will get some balance into these character interactions in the next few patches.

I have to say it is smething which has gone downhill this year. I bought 2 young players from Newcastle & Swansea as both 17yo. I put them both in the reserves, both were raging as they were not it 1st team. Had to loan them both out.

This seems like a bug to me , and quite an important one if you want to snap up young talent.

just curious to know what squad status you are signing them at? maybe its defaulting to 'first team' or above and thats why the players arent happy at bein dumped in the reserves.

Well if you are replying to the OP, then he states this in his post:

Having shipped out he dead wood in the reserves I start signing players of 18-19. Players like Adam Barton, Nathan Redmond, Connor Wickham, and quite a few youngsters (some regens some not) from around Europe. To a man they are all signed on contracts as either 'youngster' or 'hot prospect'.

... and of course these should not whine when put in the reserves squad

I also regularly find that I'll sign 17-19 year old players as "hot prospects", put them in the reserve squad as soon as I sign them, and they instantly start moaning about being put in the reserves.

It does seem a bit daft that I'll sign players with a status that gives no indication that they will be first team players (by signing them as "hot prospects" surely that is what that's saying to them, they're not being signed as "rotation" or "back up" players) yet the instant they join, they somehow expect to be first team players.

To be fair most do back down after a bit of player interaction saying "prove yourself in the reserves and I'll play you in the first team", but some don't and are then forever unhappy. Because of this I no longer risk doing it, which seems crazy.

I also regularly find that I'll sign 17-19 year old players as "hot prospects", put them in the reserve squad as soon as I sign them, and they instantly start moaning about being put in the reserves.

It does seem a bit daft that I'll sign players with a status that gives no indication that they will be first team players (by signing them as "hot prospects" surely that is what that's saying to them, they're not being signed as "rotation" or "back up" players) yet the instant they join, they somehow expect to be first team players.

To be fair most do back down after a bit of player interaction saying "prove yourself in the reserves and I'll play you in the first team", but some don't and are then forever unhappy. Because of this I no longer risk doing it, which seems crazy.

I think you're finding out the hard way about the players' personality (hidden) attributes. Maybe ambition is too high and professionalism too low. Pay closer attention to your scout/coach report when he hints at the personality-type.

I don't even use the reserve squad, to be honest. I always keep all my backup - and prospective - players in the main squad, even if they're only going to get a couple of runs in the whole season. They get selected for reserve matches to keep up their fitness, they'll be played in the first team when I need them, or when I think I can afford to give them a run. Everyone's happy.

I think you're finding out the hard way about the players' personality (hidden) attributes. Maybe ambition is too high and professionalism too low. Pay closer attention to your scout/coach report when he hints at the personality-type.

I think you're right - this does certainly appear to be linked to things like their Ambition in particular.

Having checked in game 1 of the players that I had the most problems with and had to sell has an "Ambition" attribute of 19. (I dont mind checking this stuff on players I've sold and will never sign again. :D)

And to be fair although lots of players initially complained about being put in the reserves, it's pretty rare that I can't talk them round and repair the relationship.

I'll admit I've never paid that much attention to that aspect of the scout reports, I guess I need to take more notice in future!

Reserves:

-Transition from under 18 to reserves then to 1st team

-Injured first team players who need match fitness

-Back-up players who play both 1st and reserve team

-sometimes used for old players who wants to become coach for the team, so managers move them to reserves to tutor younger players

-Transfer/loan listed players

Archived