How to prevent your hot players from being unhappy if they can't move to a new club?

This happens over and over. I find a promising kid, nurture him, he becomes a hot player, a star, and suddenly other teams want him and he is unhappy if I won't sell him.

What is the best way to prevent this? I get so tired of not being able to keep players that have become stars under my management. I'm playing with Blackburn, we won promotion to the Premiere League, about mid-table.

I normally renew contracts 1 or 2 years before they end..also i try to make the first contract as long as possible

If by chance the contract is not long enough..as long as he plays and stays happy, renew it every time u can ,in that way u will be able to extend it a bit every year

Other than that and maybe praising the player everytime they make good performances, in order to make them stay happy and maybe like the club

However none of those answers are 100% effective, the player may become sad and wanting a new challenge or moving to a bigger club and unfortunately there isnt much to do

Hope it helps!

this has worked for me on every player. it's basically playing hard to get, or playing not being interested in a girl, so she'll want you more :)

first you have to make sure you have more than one year left on the player's contract, so renew contracts often, but in case you get a scenario like this. a player has 2-4 years remaining on a contract do the following:

1. offer the player to clubs (this will transfer list and mark him "not needed") for an unreasonable fee, say $160-whatever million. Usually this will avoid clubs from even submitting an offer, if they submit, decline the offer, of course.

2. leave the player on transfer list and check every 3 months to offer a new contract.

3. once it says, player doesnt want to sign a new contract while his future at the club remains in the balance, remove the player from the transfer list, make him indispensable to the club by changing the squad status to show so

4. on the next day, offer the player a new contract, that he will gladly sign.

This will work on every scenario like, "i've been here too long", or "wants a new challenge"

now, i've had scenarios where i did this to a player and he signed a new contract, only next month to ask to be transferred again, then you have to play the same Spiel again.

but whatever you do, NEVER NEVER NEVER accept a transfer request, this will not allow you to do the steps above.

hope this helped.

Imho the biggest issue which makes FM too easy in the long run is that it is actually to EASY to keep those players.

Irl these players wouldn't spend a second seriously considering to renew their contracts with us at smaller clubs if they could get contracts at a top club. Nor would they be happy to renew prematurely without a substantial wage rise.

Maybe this is necessary for people to have fun as the frustrations of real life may not sell many games, but when you complain about the AI not building good squads then don't forget that we should not be able to build good squads that easily either.

Whenever a big club comes with an offer for one of your players just negotiate it but ask for ridiculous amounts, over 100 mil. The players won't be upset cause you didn't reject the offer, the other club will withdraw their bid and everything will be ok. You might get lucky and the other club will offer you an astronomical figure for your player. In time you will be able to renew your players contracts.

This happens over and over. I find a promising kid, nurture him, he becomes a hot player, a star, and suddenly other teams want him and he is unhappy if I won't sell him.

What is the best way to prevent this? I get so tired of not being able to keep players that have become stars under my management. I'm playing with Blackburn, we won promotion to the Premiere League, about mid-table.

Presumably you've signed him from a smaller club. A smaller club that nurtured him and turned him into a hot star there.

So I doubt you can have any complaints now that you are the small fish.

Sell him on for a tidy profit. Repeat the process.

Whenever a big club comes with an offer for one of your players just negotiate it but ask for ridiculous amounts, over 100 mil. The players won't be upset cause you didn't reject the offer, the other club will withdraw their bid and everything will be ok. You might get lucky and the other club will offer you an astronomical figure for your player. In time you will be able to renew your players contracts.

Not strictly true. I have upset a few players in my time where I have done just this and the other team doesn't make a 2nd offer. The player gets upset because you haven't allowed them the chance to speak to the other club. More often than not, what you say will work, just wanted to add that it's not always the case.

just set his tranfer fee to something silly like £40 000000 when you first get him, and that will stop any one making an offer

I second that. I'm playing with Ajax and have had no problem with unhappy players due to transfer offers in 10 years. In fact, I didn't have any transfer offers for players I didn't want to sell. The managers still declare interest (and your player's profile will be full of managers he likes) but the clubs almost never put in a bid. :thup:

Edit: Of course you need to set the transfer fee before a club comes in with an offer, otherwise the player might get unhappy.

The easiest way to prevent this is to set his asking price at something absurd (or something you'd be willing to live with). Ignore everything the press says about that player afterwards and offer him a contract OUTSIDE of the transfer window.

Be warned though, while I did this with a team for 9 seasons straight (keeping my best players that would've never stayed with me) their wages kept rising to absurdly high levels with each new renewal. By 2017 I was paying key players an average of 60k euro/week... in the Romanian League!

Grasu is right, don't answer to rumors in the press as your player might react badly to that. I forgot to write that in my post. As for the wages: I have player wages up to 3.5 mil a year (close to grasu's figure) but you will be able to afford them because you should easily enter the latter stages of the CL each year with these kind of players.

if he's got long enough left on his contract, you could try keep hold of him in the hope that in the intervening years you either win something like a cup that really up's his morale or that you improve the club as a whole to match his ambitions. Either risk that, and the chance he might leave on a free, or sell him and repeat the process of bringing through a replacement.

I always find that after a while i have a bit of a conveyor belt of youngsters available so if someone wants out then I'll take your x million quid and thanks a lot you're hard work blah blah blah you're dead to this club now

Imho the biggest issue which makes FM too easy in the long run is that it is actually to EASY to keep those players.

Irl these players wouldn't spend a second seriously considering to renew their contracts with us at smaller clubs if they could get contracts at a top club. Nor would they be happy to renew prematurely without a substantial wage rise.

Maybe this is necessary for people to have fun as the frustrations of real life may not sell many games, but when you complain about the AI not building good squads then don't forget that we should not be able to build good squads that easily either.

^this, this and this x1000

Archived