FM 2011- League Rep change= TV Money change?

Having read all about the new dynamic league feature I was wondering if the league reputation increase/decrease would affect TV money revenues? For example if I got the SPL to the same rep level as La Liga the would the teams in my league have access to increased TV Revenue to say £40m and be able to compete therefore with the bigger leagues on a long term basis?

I believe that the DLR should, if introduced realistically, make sure that the SPL never ever reaches the reputation of La Liga.

Factors such as population should limit development at some point.

I agree that TV money should be able to change if a league's reputation changes, but I cannot imagine the SPL to acquire as much money as suggested in the OP in such a small country.

Factors such as population should limit development at some point.

I would disagree. Look at Australia for example 20M population and good in every sport. China on the contrary 1.25B population and not so good.

I would disagree. Look at Australia for example 20M population and good in every sport. China on the contrary 1.25B population and not so good.

Thats cuz they don't try ;)

Once they do....

The 20M population limits Australia in terms of TV revenues for their national leagues. That's what I'm talking about. Generally the correlation between sporting success of a nation as a whole (not just in football) and its population and wealth are well-established scientifically. In Australia's example, their wealth makes up for much of their disadvantage in population whereas in China it's the other way around (look at the recent Olympic medal statistics, China are not exactly bad). This combination sets the expected level of potential. With the up and downs this may sometimes even be exceeded and sometimes not reached in terms of players produced.

In terms of TV money however you need a market to sell TV subscriptions. If that market is small for whatever reasons (Germany's market f.i. is small due to other reasons than population) then you cannot get beyond certain figures in revenue. Which is obviously an economic limiting factor which must be taken into account.

Can't TV money come from abroad then? E.g. here in Sweden English football has been very popular for as long as I can remember and I very much doubt that the TV stations over here can broadcast it for free...so what I'm trying to say is that if a league is popular (high league reputation) then the population of that country should not be a factor.

/JB

The 20M population limits Australia in terms of TV revenues for their national leagues. That's what I'm talking about. Generally the correlation between sporting success of a nation as a whole (not just in football) and its population and wealth are well-established scientifically. In Australia's example, their wealth makes up for much of their disadvantage in population whereas in China it's the other way around (look at the recent Olympic medal statistics, China are not exactly bad). This combination sets the expected level of potential. With the up and downs this may sometimes even be exceeded and sometimes not reached in terms of players produced.

In terms of TV money however you need a market to sell TV subscriptions. If that market is small for whatever reasons (Germany's market f.i. is small due to other reasons than population) then you cannot get beyond certain figures in revenue. Which is obviously an economic limiting factor which must be taken into account.

Theres also the factor that we are bloody good.... Population + wealth = sporting success. hmmm, uruquay, croatia, brazil (wheres the wealth?), argentina (ditto), macedonia :)

I agree that tv revenue drives leagues these days, but we are mistaking big leagues for sporting success, which isn't quite true.

Kinda makes me wonder if the MLS would be an interesting league to watch for this feature. Or is the low importance of the game within the USA (as noted in the editor) something of a hard cap in terms of how much revenue the league can hope to generate within the scope of the game?

Certainly a massive (and suitably wealthy) television audience for sports exists within the US, but unlike a lot of other places, their attention is focused elsewhere. Is FM capable of simulating the concept of football taking bites out of the popularity of other sports?

I think the point about a countries population affecting how much tv revenue there could be would be hard to implement in the game...there are too many factors to consider for each individual country.

Scotland for example only has a population of about 6m but, to take the current SPL tv deal as an example, the SPL is currently shown on Sky Sports and ESPN meaning potentially the whole 70m population of Britain could watch it. Which they would if the league got better and its reputation improved.

I can maybe see why SI have put off adding dynamic league reputations for so long as it does seem there is a lot to take into consideration. Still glad it's finally here though.

I think the point about a countries population affecting how much tv revenue there could be would be hard to implement in the game...there are too many factors to consider for each individual country.

Scotland for example only has a population of about 6m but, to take the current SPL tv deal as an example, the SPL is currently shown on Sky Sports and ESPN meaning potentially the whole 70m population of Britain could watch it. Which they would if the league got better and its reputation improved.

I can maybe see why SI have put off adding dynamic league reputations for so long as it does seem there is a lot to take into consideration. Still glad it's finally here though.

Good point, and maybe I can get the North QLD fury the favourite club of Asia, thats a pretty big audience....

Kinda makes me wonder if the MLS would be an interesting league to watch for this feature. Or is the low importance of the game within the USA (as noted in the editor) something of a hard cap in terms of how much revenue the league can hope to generate within the scope of the game?

Certainly a massive (and suitably wealthy) television audience for sports exists within the US, but unlike a lot of other places, their attention is focused elsewhere. Is FM capable of simulating the concept of football taking bites out of the popularity of other sports?

Dynamic prize money won't matter for MLS managers unless the game allows for an annual cap increase (they did in FM09, if I recall, but in 10 there was a fixed cap.) With the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, we know for a fact that the MLS salary cap was increased by 10% this year and will rise by 5% for each of the next four years. That's roughly $100,000 in cap space increased each year. Hopefully SI program some way of continuing the cap increases without seeing the cap balloon to a ridiculous size in the future...

• 6 months later...

Archived