A noob to the game both RL and FM10

Okay so I am a total noob to this game, as well as not that well versed in "soccer" being a Yank, but I want to be. I figure that this game being the premiere simulation of football would be the game to learn about the sport. Problem is that the learning curve is huge. So I ask are there panels/skins/etc that would assist me in learning what is needed by certain positions, tactics to favor based on team makeup that sort of thing that anyone would recommend?

Also what would all of you that have had the game forever recommend as far as add on's are concerned? I would also like to get extended databases for the game as I like to have the biggest experience possible, is there one out there that basically has pretty much all the players in the world/all the leagues in the world included?

Also if I was your buddy and I knew next two nothing what resources would you recommend for me to pick up to learn the game better. Thanks!

Best thing to do, would be to watch real football. Try the tactics forum for interesting discussion on the tactics and styles of teams, and they will also be able to help you on the certain attributes for each position, too.

Welcome to the forums, and indeed football. It's the greatest sport on earth :p

Welcome to the forum. Don't let being a Yank slow you down -- I'm one too and I picked up the game (of course, having played, coached and watched it for over thirty years, some of it SHOULD have rubbed off by now).

As for how to play this game, surf the Tactics forum. Learn from the people there. You will find the databases included with the game are pretty good as far as learning league structures and rivalries, which I find fascinating.

As for real football, Nep is right. Immerse yourself. Get FSC and its premium channel, and watch as much as you can.

Welcome to the forum. Like the guys above have said the best thing to do to learn about real football is to watch as much as possible, even reading match analysis' online and finding people to talk about it with will help.

As well as looking about the tactics forum I would say another tip when you are beginning is to start with an easy team i.e an established one with a good squad to help you learn your way around before you take on challenges.

Other than that I would say that alot of the fun is learning from your mistakes.

Good luck with the game.

I wouldn't worry too much. When I started playing FM07 I knew barely anything about the game at all, as I am from Australia and it obviously doesn't take huge priority over here. However, I've picked up the entire game through the FM series alone, gradually learning new things all the time. I still don't know a lot of players but I like to think I'm getting there. ;)

How about any add ons for the game that you all would recommend. I do appreciate all that has been said but I am a pretty avid computer gamer, and sports sims in particular and I know that while the stock games are good they never shine completely until you get all the good add ons. So are there any that you would recommend?

I learned the game/sport back on FM 08. The earlier suggestion is correct, get FSC and watch it. Alot. Just dive into the game and don't worry about winning and losing. Just play to learn the sport. As a fellow American, I have to say once you really delve into the sport it's depth, drama and it's history will not let up. Truly the worlds greatest sport.

How about any add ons for the game that you all would recommend. I do appreciate all that has been said but I am a pretty avid computer gamer, and sports sims in particular and I know that while the stock games are good they never shine completely until you get all the good add ons. So are there any that you would recommend?

Most "add ons" if you can call them that, will be in the Graphics & Skinning Forum, or the Editors Hideaway. Some things in the EH will be third party programs, and are generally frowned upon in the FM Community, (like scouts to see hidden attributes) - But you are welcome to use them, if it's how you like to play. You can also play around with the skins yourself, made much simpler in FM10 too, I might add (No more coding from me for Selection Views \o/) - But that's about as far as it goes for add-ons. The game really is a 'what you see is what you get' kind of game. It's not like EA Games, where you can buy extra things form the Playstation Store, and what not.

Welcome to the forum. Don't let being a Yank slow you down -- I'm one too and I picked up the game (of course, having played, coached and watched it for over thirty years, some of it SHOULD have rubbed off by now).

As for how to play this game, surf the Tactics forum. Learn from the people there. You will find the databases included with the game are pretty good as far as learning league structures and rivalries, which I find fascinating.

As for real football, Nep is right. Immerse yourself. Get FSC and its premium channel, and watch as much as you can.

Yes, tenthree's right. He's become so immersed in all of this that sometimes we even forget that he's an American ! :)

Okay so I am a total noob to this game, as well as not that well versed in "soccer" being a Yank, but I want to be. I figure that this game being the premiere simulation of football would be the game to learn about the sport. Problem is that the learning curve is huge. So I ask are there panels/skins/etc that would assist me in learning what is needed by certain positions, tactics to favor based on team makeup that sort of thing that anyone would recommend?

Also what would all of you that have had the game forever recommend as far as add on's are concerned? I would also like to get extended databases for the game as I like to have the biggest experience possible, is there one out there that basically has pretty much all the players in the world/all the leagues in the world included?

Also if I was your buddy and I knew next two nothing what resources would you recommend for me to pick up to learn the game better. Thanks!

Long time lurker eh? :p

Like the others have said, watch some real football. Do you support any MLS clubs? Because that's where I had to start. I'm still new to football compared to others, and started watching when my city got an expansion franchise (TFC). There's the Editors Forum and Tactics Forum to get you started. In FM10, there's a Tactics Creator that can help you create the style of play that you want. FM Britain has a Tactics Theorem PDF that you should read (although it can be a bit too much for a new football fan, but read a bit everyday and you will get the hang of it).

Oh, and drop by in CSE (Challenges, Sign-ups, and Experiments) Forum once you get the hang of the game :p

as a fellow yank who picked up FM/CM with little to no knowledge of the world game many years ago, don't be overwhelmed. It's a fun game and don't be afraid to screw up and try again.

Always nice to see more Americans getting into the game, FM and in the real world. Have fun!

In terms of learning about the game overal (football, rather than Football Manager), if you're keen, here's a couple of excellent books that I'd thoroughly recommend (and I'm sure most other people on here would too).

Inverting the Pyramid - the history of football tactics

The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football - literally that, and details just how the world's game ties in with the world's history (and I've even linked to it's Americanised version...!)

Archived