World Cup Preparation

Most of the aspects in FM10 is pretty good but the whole preparation before the world cup and every other international tournament is a joke but especially the whole world cup thing. I'm sorry SI but that is one major thing your going to have to change.

Instead of a 30-man provisional squad and like 3 warm up games SI have rather got a 26-man squad (and this is only if you have a friendly right before the world cup so really it is not a provisional squad) and 1 warm up game. No offence but that is one major thing you have to change the whole international managing side of the game is a joke everything else is good.

Does anyone agree with me?

Its worth pointing out that not all countries name 30 man squads (See Brazil this year for example) and that not all countries play lots of friendlies.

Having said that though the option of having more choice on squad size for "Training" (Perhaps even user driven) and the option of more friendlies especially before tournaments would be good.

To be honest, I think international management needs a massive overhaul generally.

yea its really not as immersive as club theres needs to be me more things to do i think, give you a reason to resign from the club job perhaps?

Agreed!

I also think there should be a news conference which lets you explain why you have picked that squad.

Well you sort of get that with leaving out stars and bringing young guys into the squad

"how do you think X will preform on his debut"

or something similar, but I do think training should be quite a major part in international management.

Well you sort of get that with leaving out stars and bringing young guys into the squad

"how do you think X will preform on his debut"

or something similar, but I do think training should be quite a major part in international management.

Yeah, but it could be alot better i think.

To be honest, I think internatioal management needs a massive overhaul generally.

Agrre because right about know the international management side of the game is poor and boring. It just needs a major revamp.

i did a few threads about the international part of FM and just looking at what happening in real life the last 2 seasons......

at the end of 2008-09 and this season ireland have held an end of season training camp where members from the 1st team, B team, U-23 team and U-21 team had a 7 day training camp and 2 practice games which resulted in a lot of young and fringe players getting picked in the matches against Paraguay and Algeria......

so maybe its time to put something like this in the game.......if you don't get into a major summer tournament you get a traning camp where you can call up as many players as you wish (not just 26 players) and still play 2 or 3 international friendly games.

currently if you don't get into WC or EC it really is barren. you play 1 game and thats it .......its not realistic ...

and if you qualified for WC or EC then instead of playing 1game and picking your 23man team 7 days before a your first game.

Why not have a training camp in another country and play 2 or 3 games where you get feed back on who might sneak into the final squad....just like in real life......i dont wont to end on a sour note but i dont know why this sort of thing isn't in the game yet....its like the international part FM2008 was the best ......but SI hasn't really improved it in 3 years now

+

have national finance..................

i did a few threads about the international part of FM and just looking at what happening in real life the last 2 seasons......

at the end of 2008-09 and this season ireland have held an end of season training camp where members from the 1st team, B team, U-23 team and U-21 team had a 7 day training camp and 2 practice games which resulted in a lot of young and fringe players getting picked in the matches against Paraguay and Algeria......

so maybe its time to put something like this in the game.......if you don't get into a major summer tournament you get a traning camp where you can call up as many players as you wish (not just 26 players) and still play 2 or 3 international friendly games.

currently if you don't get into WC or EC it really is barren. you play 1 game and thats it .......its not realistic ...

and if you qualified for WC or EC then instead of playing 1game and picking your 23man team 7 days before a your first game.

Why not have a training camp in another country and play 2 or 3 games where you get feed back on who might sneak into the final squad....just like in real life......i dont wont to end on a sour note but i dont know why this sort of thing isn't in the game yet....its like the international part FM2008 was the best ......but SI hasn't really improved it in 3 years now

+

have national finance..................

Well done. This has to be the best idea i have heard about the international side of FM. It will add alot of realism to the game if you can choose a training camp in a country of your choice and invite up to 30 - 35 players to join. Then your assistant manager and coaches give you a tip about who should be in the squad seeing from the training camp the cut the amount of players needed have 2 - 3 friendlies and travel 7 days before the world cup. This would add alot of realism to the game, alot and also make the international side of the game better.

The sad thing is games like Fifa Manager have these aspects but go to far into them. If only fifa manager was as tactical as fm and had the quality fm does. But even thought Football Manager is the better game ive got to hand it to Fifa Manager their international system and match engine is 10X better the Football managers no offence. You can even choose the hotel players stay in whiles in south africa (though it is needless)

You should have the option as 2 or 3 fixtures before NT tournaments, with at least one in the country the tournament is being played. Aswell as picking a provisional squad of 30 (although you can pick 23, so the 30 can be optional)

Another point I was managing New Zealand in the 2010 WC yesterday, and I picked my 23 man squad which I spent ages going through each individuals season, fitness and international form. Two days later I recieved another message to my inbox saying I'd picked my 23, with 9 players in there that I hadnt. So the game just changed my squad without giving me any notice which meant leaving Chris Wood who was injured but would be back in time for the finals, at home.

Whats gone on there?

Sure Portugal only named a 24 man provisional squad and 1 player was injured so they were fairly sure he wasn't going. Not all teams do it.

Yes but you should have the option. When the game asks for your provisional 30 man squad, you could only pick 23 if you want.

I think having the send-off games would be a great addition. Plus those game are usually against teams that did not make the World Cup (or Euro), so if you are managing a team not in the tournament, you can still have games to play.

The sad thing is games like Fifa Manager have these aspects but go to far into them. If only fifa manager was as tactical as fm and had the quality fm does. But even thought Football Manager is the better game ive got to hand it to Fifa Manager their international system and match engine is 10X better the Football managers no offence. You can even choose the hotel players stay in whiles in south africa (though it is needless)

I stopped reading at this point, you can't seriously believe that FifaMan's ME is anywhere near FMs never mind x10 better.

Liking the suggestions on this thread.

International management will never be all that immersive, because IRL international managers really don't have very much to do most of the time: they spend their time turning up at league matches, jsut so it seems that they're earning their salary, when really they could probably stay at home, watch the matches on TV, send their assistants out occasionally to watch anyone they need to see in-depth, and still get the job done.

I always find it silly watching Capello turn up at a Man Utd-Chelsea game, as if he's unaware of what Lampard and Rooney could bring to his side, and needs to check personally whether they're good enough.

That said, it's ridiculous how quick FM is to skate over the biennial moment when international managers actually do have something to do. A little more hype around world cups and continental championships would be nice.

Archived