The amount of long shots my team takes is unbelievable

I have long shots set to Rarely on everyone, but it still seems they blast the ball over 50% of the time

I cant understand why they do this as there's always a man to pass to, is there anything else I can do?

Its all to do with passing and instructions.

Could be any/all of the following:

A) Passing too restrictive, extend the range or encourage riskier options (mentality & through balls).

B) Players don't have the vision or ability to pick the passes.

C) Playing too quick, slower play gives more time to spot the pass.

D) Opponents are marking your other players out of the game.

E) Your tactics are too attacking, lower mentality to encourage more sideways balls when a forward pass isn't available.

Use "work ball into box", for starters.

This, along with short passing, slow tempo, if nothing else works. I was encountering a similar problem, had to change my entire style of play. :thdn: Also check the PPM of individual players. I had Gourcuff as my team's playmaker, and he has the shoots from distance PPM, but isn't all that good at it. A quick change to van der Vaart has fixed a lot of those problems. (Who, strangely enough, also has shoots from distance.) :thup:

No cos as I stated, I have told them not to via the plyer instructions, therefore it is not me, its the game, unless all the players are disobedient b*******

You have told them to take them rarely, not to not take them. This means that if other flaws in your tactics force them to take them, they will have no choice but to.

You have told them to take them rarely, not to not take them. This means that if other flaws in your tactics force them to take them, they will have no choice but to.

No, there is always another option, like playing it back to the defense. I can understand the occassional snap-shot from far out if he was being circled around, but it happens far too much imo.

No, there is always another option, like playing it back to the defense. I can understand the occassional snap-shot from far out if he was being circled around, but it happens far too much imo.

So have you instructed them to pass back to the defence? I guess not :rolleyes:

Rather than whining about it why don't you accept there is a problem with your tactics and try to work out what it is.

So have you instructed them to pass back to the defence? I guess not :rolleyes:

Rather than whining about it why don't you accept there is a problem with your tactics and try to work out what it is.

as far as I'm aware, you cannot instruct them to pass back to the defence. :confused:

as far as I'm aware, you cannot instruct them to pass back to the defence. :confused:

Ok, then ask for advice.

The main areas to look at are "Tempo" in the team instructions & "Mentality" in the player instructions.

Fast attacking play results in early forward balls, slowing the tempo a little will give the players more time to make decisions.

Mentality is the main area to balance though. Attacking mentality sees a player play forward balls even when safer passes are on. Lowering his mentality will see him look sideways and backwards more for other options.

Ok, then ask for advice.

The main areas to look at are "Tempo" in the team instructions & "Mentality" in the player instructions.

Fast attacking play results in early forward balls, slowing the tempo a little will give the players more time to make decisions.

Mentality is the main area to balance though. Attacking mentality sees a player play forward balls even when safer passes are on. Lowering his mentality will see him look sideways and backwards more for other options.

Cheers for the advise, sorry for seeming as if I was whining, realy didnt think I was. I suppose everything can be dealt with somehow, even a little bit, although I admit I am pretty useless at FM, and I lack in tactical ability.

I find theres too many long shots in general in the game, its possible both I and the A.I (I know they only choose from limited options but theres still hundreds of thousands of variables) happen to have tactics that force long shots, I think not though.

You might see different options, but if your players don't have the mental attributes to see them or the instructions to make those choices, they won't use those options. Oypus's advice about "...this, along with short passing, slow tempo, if nothing else works" and Cougar2010's statement about tempo and mentality are both good to consider. You aren't the first coach to see things that his players don't see and get frustrated.

First thing I do when I start a match is to activate "work ball into box" and wait & see if my players are getting chances on goal. If we're not getting any chances and need to let the players get more aggressive and adventerous, I will do that then. However I find better chances with the "work ball into box" touchline shout.

What Cougar and Dankrzyz say is spot on.

Actually applying it to the game requires looking at what is happening and applying their principles to what you see. It's incredibly difficult to actually "fix" tactics in FM without playing and watching the specific match.

Archived