Realism?

I have just begun to wonder how this game can preech realism with this match engine.

Can anybody tell me why;

A defender and a striker are chasing a ball, the defender stops and runs the opposite direction to allow the striker a chance at goal?

Goalkeepers stand still when a striker has over run the ball?

Goalkeepers come charging out when their are 2/3 defenders on the attacker?

A corner is taken and you have a player on either post, as soon as anybody gets a head on it both of those players run into the centre of the goal leaving the posts unmarked?

Players who have been asked to restrict the number of long shots they take and have their long shot slider reduced to rarely continue to take 4/5/6/7 long shots per game when their is a clear passing oppurtunity on?

Why players pass to nobody, by this i mean just boot the ball up field straight to the opposition, even with their passing style set to short?

Why attacking players chase a cleared ball yet head it at a perfect right angle out of play for a goal kick?

Why when players have time they just boot the ball into touch?

Why goalkeepers run away from their goal?

Why goalkeepers parry shots straight forward and stand still making no attempt to move towards the ball?

Why players who are chasing a ball anywhere suddenly stop?

Why players dont close the opposition down?

When when a defender has clear does the closest attacker not close down the ball?

Just a few of the questions i would like answering regarding the "realism" of this game.... and before i have numerous people saying its your tactics, i played as tottenham, lost two games ALL season, one in the league which was 1 - 0 to stoke and one in the league cup to manchester united which was 2 - 0, i drew 6 games and won every single other game.

I ask these questions because in my first season i noticed a number of these "realistic" events happening against me, then i noticed a number of these "realistic" events happening by my team. in the second season, which by the way i am a 14 league games in and again have only lost one game which was 2 - 0 against chelsea drawn 4 and won every single other game.

This is not a rant just one of many simple observations about the realism of this game..... this game which proclaims its as realistic as it gets..... i cant recall seeing many of those questions i asked happening game after game in the premier league.... can you?

Name me a more realistic management game.

Operation Flashpoint/Arma2 isnt realistic when compared to actual warfare but the fact that they are the most realistic portrayals of warfare that Games have gotten lets them claim the whole "realistic" title.

Same goes for Racing sims, strategy games etc...

They all have non realistic flaws, but they should be measured against their peers and not the real thing at the end of the day.

oh come one...

it is still a game that comes as close to realism as it can. as others said, find a more realistic and better manager. none. i think people that (not you specifically) that spend their day chasing bugs, are the people that can't manage well and bugs is all they see

i think people that (not you specifically) that spend their day chasing bugs, are the people that can't manage well and bugs is all they see

So in other words noone that wins in the game would ever get frustrated or angered by the flaws and come here suggest/report them to be fixed ?

Otherwise the ME is far from perfect but looking at the bigger picture (final score, goalscorers, league tables etc) the game is pretty good at making realistic results.

i didn't say that. and i didn't refer to people that are frustrated by 1-2 infamous bugs that everyone knows and they do it once. i am talking about some people that constantly complain about millions of "bugs" this game has. i think we know what i am talking about:

"Why don't my strikers score easily?" would be an example

I have just begun to wonder how this game can preech realism with this match engine.

Can anybody tell me why;

A defender and a striker are chasing a ball, the defender stops and runs the opposite direction to allow the striker a chance at goal?

Goalkeepers stand still when a striker has over run the ball?

Goalkeepers come charging out when their are 2/3 defenders on the attacker?

A corner is taken and you have a player on either post, as soon as anybody gets a head on it both of those players run into the centre of the goal leaving the posts unmarked?

Players who have been asked to restrict the number of long shots they take and have their long shot slider reduced to rarely continue to take 4/5/6/7 long shots per game when their is a clear passing oppurtunity on?

Why players pass to nobody, by this i mean just boot the ball up field straight to the opposition, even with their passing style set to short?

Why attacking players chase a cleared ball yet head it at a perfect right angle out of play for a goal kick?

Why goalkeepers run away from their goal?

Why goalkeepers parry shots straight forward and stand still making no attempt to move towards the ball?

Why players who are chasing a ball anywhere suddenly stop?

Why players dont close the opposition down?

When when a defender has clear does the closest attacker not close down the ball?

Just a few of the questions i would like answering regarding the "realism" of this game.... and before i have numerous people saying its your tactics, i played as tottenham, lost two games ALL season, one in the league which was 1 - 0 to stoke and one in the league cup to manchester united which was 2 - 0, i drew 6 games and won every single other game.

I ask these questions because in my first season i noticed a number of these "realistic" events happening against me, then i noticed a number of these "realistic" events happening by my team. in the second season, which by the way i am a 14 league games in and again have only lost one game which was 2 - 0 against chelsea drawn 4 and won every single other game.

This is not a rant just one of many simple observations about the realism of this game..... this game which proclaims its as realistic as it gets..... i cant recall seeing many of those questions i asked happening game after game in the premier league.... can you?

I would say most of that is covered by "tactics" or the 3d graphics not quite being in sync with the ME.

I am thinking most of these are translation issues. Its more than likely the cause of all this idiotic looking ball watching. It's just that the programme finds it difficult to translate the course of events acurately with the ME. I'm pretty dissapointed myself to be honest with this version. There seems to be way to much catch up logic in play.

But all that said, I will still try and remain as positive as I possibly can be. Quietly going about my business building a good set of tactics. And simply get on with it. And I refuse to use the corner bug. I used the challenge keeper in previous versions, but this one seems to ridiculous and would make it to easy. Good luck keep trying. And there are some awesome previous versions that you could dominate completely if you like.

Can anybody tell me why;

I have to admit - I see that fairly regularly also...

Ah yeah this happened to me while playing yesterday. Never seen it as obvious as that time. My DR was tracking a ST to the cornerflag...only for absolutely no reason starting to run away from the ST....and obviously they scored a goal! While I do enjoy the ME after 10.3 it has so many silly things left. I think it was FM07 where something like this occured where someone cleared the ball away from the opposition penalty area. My defender was close to the ball...only to run away to the corner flag presenting the striker (who had 10x lenght to reach the ball!) to go free on goal and score. It IS the best management simulation availible, but sometimes I just wish they would never have made the 2D/3D...at least then I wouldn't have to watch players being idiots. :D

Still I truly think the OI is the work of the devil at times. When I'm not using them, things like this rarely, or never, happen.

I would just like to say to the people who are proclaiming its MY tactics, as i previously stated, i won the league and fa cup in my first season, sitting second in my second season, through in 4 games in the champions league and i am still in all the cups, i have lost one game this season so far, having lost two games in total last season.

Please unless you have nothing of interest to add to the post dont post here. I am after answers to my questions if you dont mind.

Thank you.

EDIT

I would also like to say that i am not interested in naming other management games, i am asking how this game can proclaim realism when these things do not happen in real life 1/100000000000000 of the time as they do on this game. Please people, read before posting.

Thank you.

I would just like to say to the people who are proclaiming its MY tactics, as i previously stated, i won the league and fa cup in my first season, sitting second in my second season, through in 4 games in the champions league and i am still in all the cups, i have lost one game this season so far, having lost two games in total last season.

Please unless you have nothing of interest to add to the post dont post here. I am after answers to my questions if you dont mind.

Just because you are winning games doesn't mean that the above aren't caused by tactics. Those two "events" are mutually exclusive of each other.

I'll pick on this one as an example:

The player is nervous and feels under pressure. You possibly haven't helped him through teamtalks/press conferences either.

Tactically you have asked to him to play in a certain way but other players aren't available for a pass in the areas you've asked him to pass to. With a lack of options and a fairly defensive mentality he has played safe and booted the ball away.

Do people actually read or search other threads on this forum? Everyday its the same old whinging about the same old things with the same old excuse of "it must be a bug"

As has already been said the 3d graphics are just an interpretation of how the ME plays out, its not perfect but it does its job. As for the decisions players make, well that is down to tactics and pressure. I experience hardly any of these "issues" now after I spent time learning how to instruct players correctly and in the correct positions.

very contradictory comments here. Either the game isn't perfect or it's your tactics. Can't use both arguments.

The ME is much improved from 10.2 but it's not that much better than 10.0.

There was no dodgy defending in 10.0, just too many long shots and headers.

so people complained and SI made those harder so to balance had to make more through balls lead to goals. The only way they could figure out how to do that was make defenders useless at defending on the ground. Then there were too many goals from through balls so they made super gk.

People complained again so they removed the super keepers but had too many goals again so made long shots and headers even more difficult to score from without ever fixing the defending issue.

Si's MO seems to be that 2/3/4 wrongs might just end up making a right.

I don't recall 9.03 having so many glaring errors.

P.S if someone sayss they winning every game maybe people should realise he's saying the opponents players do this kind of thing as much if not more than his. Is it their tactics too?

Do people actually read or search other threads on this forum? Everyday its the same old whinging about the same old things with the same old excuse of "it must be a bug"

As has already been said the 3d graphics are just an interpretation of how the ME plays out, its not perfect but it does its job. As for the decisions players make, well that is down to tactics and pressure. I experience hardly any of these "issues" now after I spent time learning how to instruct players correctly and in the correct positions.

Lol, can you PLEASE quote where i have said "it must be a bug"?

I asked some simple questions, why do a number of you have to get onto the defensive?

I have played against every top side in england and a number of the top european teams and absolutely dominated those games, yet i see their players doing a number of things that i have stated above, i have also seen my side dominate lower league teams and mid table teams, and i have also seen them struggle against all these teams.

Can it really be that hard to program a defender to run after the ball?

Can it really be that hard to program a defender to chase down the ball when an opposition striker is chasing it?

Can it really be that hard to program two players to run after a ball and not stop and run in the opposite direction?

Please do not label my tactics as being bad when i have lost 3 games in 2 seasons lol, i adjust my tactics based on how the game is going, i rarely stick to my predefined tactic, my players know their roles.

My ass manager doesnt tell me that "player x" isnt playing short passes like we've asked hes playing more direct, my players are following their instructions and so are the oppositions so why the need to bring up the same old arguement?

Again if you have nothing of interest to add to this post then please do not post in it.

Archived