7 EPL Subs, Your Observations

Don't worry, this isn't another "o.m.g, how come I can pick 7 subs" thread.

I was just curious to know, what people found the main benefit of playing with 7 subs in the premiership was? And if these where in line with the reasons the premier league gave for introducing the rule change from next year.

The two biggest reasons given where.

1) More tactical options on the bench.

2) Managers more likely to give spot on bench to developing youngsters, to give them a fighting chance at playing in the epl sooner etc etc.

So does this line up with people's experiences in the game so far?

Don't worry, this isn't another "o.m.g, how come I can pick 7 subs" thread.

I was just curious to know, what people found the main benefit of playing with 7 subs in the premiership was? And if these where in line with the reasons the premier league gave for introducing the rule change from next year.

The two biggest reasons given where.

2) Managers more likely to give spot on bench to developing youngsters, to give them a fighting chance at playing in the epl sooner etc etc.

So does this line up with people's experiences in the game so far?

i love it

i've been waiting for this for ages.

other leagues use 7, europe uses 7, prem used 5. angry!

i like to be able to dress a youngster and give him a run out of the match is in hand, or at least be able to fill possible positions in case of injuries during the match.

i hated getting my right back hurt when i only had a sub for a left back or central def.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dannyboy24:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree when I am using them. Not sure that the AI is considering the same though.

It works better in Scotland where it is combined with a rule about minimum number of U21 players in the match squad. Without that rule it is just a "big club" thing for clubs who have big squads where they have to leave out some important players every time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

It works better in Scotland where it is combined with a rule about minimum number of U21 players in the match squad. Without that rule it is just a "big club" thing for clubs who have big squads where they have to leave out some important players every time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd like to see a minimum number of english players, or at least min UK players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard boy:

Fantastic that you can have 7, i`ve been saying there should 7 for years, now if they could only it make where you can bring 4 or 5 players on, that would be great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 subs is worldwide, and shouldn't be changed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jase19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

It works better in Scotland where it is combined with a rule about minimum number of U21 players in the match squad. Without that rule it is just a "big club" thing for clubs who have big squads where they have to leave out some important players every time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd like to see a minimum number of english players, or at least min UK players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It won't happen for legal reasons. BEst you might get is "Minimum number of country trained", in which case Cesc would count, Hargreaves wouldn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It won't happen for legal reasons </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always makes me curious that...exactly what legal reasons would we be talking about?

Most other european leagues operate this kind of system, and are all part of the EU as is the UK (currently), so what legal reasons and human rights would they exactly use to stop it when other countries in the Eu operate said systems?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It won't happen for legal reasons </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always makes me curious that...exactly what legal reasons would we be talking about?

Most other european leagues operate this kind of system, and are all part of the EU as is the UK (currently), so what legal reasons and human rights would they exactly use to stop it when other countries in the Eu operate said systems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly discrimination based on nationality. Equal opportunities and all that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

Most other european leagues operate this kind of system, and are all part of the EU as is the UK (currently), so what legal reasons and human rights would they exactly use to stop it when other countries in the Eu operate said systems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly discrimination based on nationality. Equal opportunities and all that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There would be lawsuits from teams like arsenal who have spend loads upon loads of money buying foreign players that they can no longer dress to make room for other players.

it would have to be gradual. at least 4 english players dressed in the first year, then 6, etc.

doesn't sound like much, but for the big clubs, english players there aren't many of.

I don't think any of the leagues with a limit on foreigners are part of the EU (Ukraine and Turkey come to mind). Some EU countries have a limit on Non-EU players, but none to my knowledge have any restrictions on foreigners.

I was thinking about this myself the other day, but I haven't actually looked into it properly, so I could well be wrong.

Not sure how this thread moved into legal issue and racial discrimination, but as far as it's concerned EU players can still play anywhere within EU as it's EU's laws for labor. And this laws will probably stand above FIFA rule, if it will ever be implemented.

While football is going global, it's also unfair to prevent great players to play in the best leagues. The only way to protect domestic football is probably preventing clubs from signing under 18 players. Chelsea should't be allowed to sign 15 years old star from Reggina. That way Chelsea (for example) need to develop domestic players instead of looking elsewhere for potential stars but within England. U18 is actually young and FIFA might be able to compromise that with EU and clubs can still sign foreign players older than 18.

I'm not sure where I'm going now, this is going off FM discussion icon_biggrin.gif

Having 7 subs would be beneficial for everyone, more options are just simply better. What logic do you need to explain that?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macyst:

Having 7 subs would be beneficial for everyone, more options are just simply better. What logic do you need to explain that?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's how i see it, i'm using a small club and love 7 subs

Does saying you have to have 2 English players in the squad of 18 count as a restriction on foreigners? It doesn't restrict how many you can have in your squad and none of them individually are restricted from playing, etc, etc. All it is saying is you can have exactly the same number of foreigners as you could before, but now you can also have two extra English players...although that would only be technically the case if the rule was brought in together with the extra substitutes rule. If you bring it in after then it is a restriction I guess.

Does saying you have to have 2 English players in the squad of 18 count as a restriction on foreigners? It doesn't restrict how many you can have in your squad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it does - it means you can only have 16 foreigners obviously!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

seeing as the suits can stop us flying our flag , celebrating christmas and trying to keep ourjobs for the british im sure they could find a way to say trying to save the state of the english game is racist </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love when people say ridiculous stuff like this. I wish we lived in a dictatorship.......(Borat) NOT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

Possibly discrimination based on nationality. Equal opportunities and all that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont think so. i believe they would be able to do it on the same grounds that catholic schools are able to ban gay teachers from teaching. they would be able to proclaim themselves as a 'seperate entity' or something along those lines, even with equal opportunity laws.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eaglealan64:

Does saying you have to have 2 English players in the squad of 18 count as a restriction on foreigners? It doesn't restrict how many you can have in your squad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it does - it means you can only have 16 foreigners obviously!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, should have been more precise there. I meant restricting how many you can have in any given match squad doesn't restrict how many you can have in your club's full squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bring back the one sub on the bench rule, tough luck if your Gk gets injured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to do that. Well not in Scotland anyway as the league rules there say that of your permitted 7 subs one of them must be a goalie.

Archived