Premier League Playoff?

I have not seen one myself, but someone posted a relegation playoff in the Premier League if i remember correctly on FM09.

This nearly happened in the Championship in real life last season between Cardiff and Preston for the last playoff place.

I can't remember exactly now, but if Preston had won 1-0 and Cardiff lost 1-0 they would have had to play each other in playoff match just to get into the playoffs haha.

Cardiff lost 1-0 but Preston won 2-1, so it did not happen in the end, because Preston had scored 1 more goal than Cardiff.

Ultimately, you can have two teams be exactly equal (even on head to head), so the end result is always going to be a playoff; I think someone on FM09 had this happen and it was discussed. It's the right procedure, just a situation that almost never comes up.

It DID come up in World Cup qualification between Egypt and Algeria this year; that's why they had to play each other a third time. The two teams were equal on head, equal on goal difference, equal on head to head goal difference, and equal on points, so they ended up going to a play-in match.

Well I finished second to Belgium in Euro 2016 group based on alphabetical order am sure. We drew 2-2 with each other and ended up identical in every way, goals for, against etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10654866@N06/4294087266/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10654866@N06/4293344975/sizes/o/

Saying that tho, the Rules arent there now as not re-scheduled for 2020 yet so I might be missing something that I cant think of?

I think in real life that if the top teams are in so many poins of each other eg 3points or something

then there should be playoff, would it make it more fair.

How would that be fair ffs?

Imagine in the real season Man United score a late equaliser, which by the end of the season has put them 1 point ahead only for there to be a playoff.

It would just be stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived