FM2010 was supposed to be the most bug-free FM to date. Instead, it's unplayable!

Don't get me wrong, I really like this year's version of FM as a game. HOWEVER, the amount of bugs (and more importantly: their nature) makes it really unplayable for me:

Don't get me started about the random crash-dumps and I just won a penalty-shootout, only to find out that I had lost is according to the media. So I check the match-report again and what has happened?! Apparantly some player managed to time travel to the past and to score his penalty this time...!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

And deleting shortlists still keeps the players in your 'subscriptions', which means you get many useless messages in your inbox etc.

The reason why this makes FM unplayable, is because FM is VERY time consuming. I spend a lot of time searching and buying new players, coaches, setting up tactics, training-regimes etc. etc. Then to see your game ruined by a penalty shoot-out loss, which was actually won is unacceptable. As are the dump crashes. Even if you save regularly, you sometimes have to replay games, which feels fake. FM lives on realism. Take that away and what's left?

I'm hopeful that you guys can fix this with a patch or two. I won't be touching FM anymore after at LEAST the next patch (and I'll probably wait till the third patch).

So congrats on a nice game, but now get it to function.

Thanks

Crash dumps are a problem with the user's machine, not with the game, otherwise it would happen in 99.99% of cases.

Not to be a stickler, but if you look in the Bug forums you'll find that even though it doesn't affect all users, there are some crash dumps that are due to a game issue, not just user machine.

I think it's been proven there is a memory leak in the code. For me, this means I have to save the game about every 8 weeks of game time or it will crash. It's annoying but not unplayable. The actual game play is probably the best ever for a first release of this game.

No, it hasnt.

For there to be a proven leak in the code the problem would affect everyone, and it simply doesnt.

In 99% of the cases people are doing one of three things

1) Playing with a 'huge' database retaining players from far too many leagues

2) Ignoring the recommended set up and running 20+ leagues more than the game recommended they can handle.

3) Trying to run the game on a 5 year old lap top that cant handle it.

Ive read so many of these threads and when you get down to it, thats always been the problem.

Erm.

I dont know where to start with that.

If I find out that you can carry 50 Kg and I then give you a bag that weights 100KG and ask you to run with it - whoes fault is it that you fall over and crash?

The game very helpfuly has a 'recommended' set up for the number of leagues you can run at the very very begining - I ALWAYS use it (Sure I swap a few leagues around, but roughly keep the numbers the same) and ive never had an issue.

No, it hasnt.

For there to be a proven leak in the code the problem would affect everyone, and it simply doesnt.

2) Ignoring the recommended set up and running 20+ leagues more than the game recommended they can handle.

Ive read so many of these threads and when you get down to it, thats always been the problem.

Well, have you read the memory leak thread in the 'technical issues' forum where Byron from SI has said he's been able to replicate the error at SI Towers and has spent most of the last week going through the code to find the leak?

It's definitely related to how many leagues you have running I agree but.....there IS a memory leak.

Well, I only run 6 countries (all divisions) on medium database, while the game reccomends that I can run many more (AMD 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.02 GHz, 4 GB RAM)

So that shouldn't be a problem.

And many games are much more bugged than FM, but the difference is that FM is a game that you spend hours and hours on, while many other games are played (can be played) much more casual. So that isn't really SI's fault, but still...

And the penalty thing is just awful. No excuses there. Seriously.

I hope patches will come out soon, because I like the game itself very much.

I genuinely don't see how FM10 is unplayable :confused:

I'm enjoying it mightily (when work/family allows me to get some matches!). I was suffering the crash problem a while ago but, upon investigating, it was a problem at my end that was causing the crashes.

Every year it's the same old thing. The game is unplayable, I can't play it until another 3 patches have come out, it's full of game ruining bugs, blah blah blah. The game isn't unplayable.

Depends on the individual playing it really. In literal terms the game game be 'played' but some issues experienced by users render the whole experience frustrating and a waste of time.

My defenders do not seem to be able to mark, close down or tackle properly despite my tactics/instructions. They also often simply stand still and let the striker run past them unchallenged or actually run away from the ball sometimes! That for me makes it unplayable, for others they may not care about this issue or are just easily pleased.

Other things like crashes, losing penalty shoot outs when you've won them (or the other way round) and keepers placing the ball on the centre circle after a goal then getting beaten whilst running back (http://www.facebook.com/#/video/vide...7576088&ref=nf) make me just not want to play the game.

No, it hasnt.

Out of interrest (Ive seen that thread, so yea, its there, but ill explain) - how many leagues are you running - and what does the game RECOMMEND that you should run?

Hey, I'm not having a go here. I agreed with you that the memory leak is to do with running too many leagues. I think it should still release the memory at the end of each game though, not keep increasing it incrementally until your comp runs out of memory. So there is a problem, all be it one that we can avoid (at least for a V long time) if we don't run too many leagues. However, a lot of people love the game BECAUSE they can run so many leagues and the realism it provides. Look all I was trying to point out was that there is a problem with the code (rather than it being on peoples machines). I said earlier the game is great, the best on release that I can remember.

To answer your question, I don't know how many leagues the game recommends I can run, I never looked.

To be fair, It is unplayable for those who get crash dumps. On my save i can't get past July in the 3rd season. Even if i go on holiday past July as soon as i return from holiday and click a couple of buttons, It comes up with a crash dump.

I ran with less than the recomended set-up it advised. Just England League 2 - Premier League and Spanish Liga BBVA only. With no players loaded from any nation, I had 4 stars for game performance and game speed when i loaded it up. My computer is less than 1 year old and meets all the minimum specs, Drivers/diectX are all upto date.

I ran with more leagues and players loaded up from about 9 nations on FM09 and played up 2020 and never had one crash of anysort.

But also to be fair, SI have sent me a PM saying they are looking into it.

Seen as its only happening to a few of us, And they are trying to fix it for us. Im willing to wait. :)

Just loaded up my old FM09 save in the meantime, Can't get used to having no fans in the ground though & the 3D looks very basic now after playing FM10. ;)

Hey, I'm not having a go here. Look all I was trying to point out was that there is a problem with the code (rather than it being on peoples machines). I said earlier the game is great, the best on release that I can remember.

To answer your question, I don't know how many leagues the game recommends I can run, I never looked.

Fair enough I wasnt trying to 'attack' you - but you did appear to be complaining that the game was crashing all the time (every 8 weeks you said).

Maybe the issue isnt peoples computers, I phrased that badly - its how people are using the game which is causing the crash. People have loaded this up like it was last years game, shoved all their face packs on it, retained players from every league on the planet and have entirely overlooked that its NOT the same game as last year and has moved on a bit and their PC is no longer up to this.

Maybe SI will find a fix for it, and I hope they do - but I do think that all of these problems would have been solved before they started if people took their time with setting up their game and checking that things hadnt changed (running the 'recommended league set up for a start!) rather than assuming that everything was identical to last year.

Fair enough I wasnt trying to 'attack' you - but you did appear to be complaining that the game was crashing all the time (every 8 weeks you said).

Maybe the issue isnt peoples computers, I phrased that badly - its how people are using the game which is causing the crash. People have loaded this up like it was last years game, shoved all their face packs on it, retained players from every league on the planet and have entirely overlooked that its NOT the same game as last year and has moved on a bit and their PC is no longer up to this.

Maybe SI will find a fix for it, and I hope they do - but I do think that all of these problems would have been solved before they started if people took their time with setting up their game and checking that things hadnt changed (running the 'recommended league set up for a start!) rather than assuming that everything was identical to last year.

Just checked, the game recommends I run 16 leagues for a 4 star speed game. I'm running twice that so I'll hold my hands up there but the only problem that should cause is the speed the game runs at. It should still release memory resource when it's finished using it.

Anyway, I've never complained or ranted about this. My game would crash (as I said earlier) about every 8 weeks of game time but it never does because I keep my eye on the memory usage in task manager and save and re-start before it gets to a critical level. It's annoying, not unplayable, which is exactly what I said at the beginning.

I did make a similar reply to someone in another thread a couple of weeks back, unfortunately when a game is released bugs are going to be present. Alot of the time developers have to rely on users feedback to find these bugs, there is only so much testing they can do. If you buy a game on release day its something you have to accept. Reason why i went for FM09 after 9.3 patch was released.

Crash dumps are a problem with the user's machine, not with the game, otherwise it would happen in 99.99% of cases.

The ones quite a few people experience this time has been acknowledged by SI that it is a problem.

They're trying to fix it, but it doesn't seem like it is the easiest task for them.

Archived