Laptop randomly shutting down when playing

my laptop has shut down completely whilst in middle of match three times in the last week.

Just five mins ago I was beating Barcelona 1-0 as Rangers in Champs second stage when it shut itself down completely.

It's a pretty new laptop, just nine months old, and this never ever happened with FM09.

anyone else had this issue?

• Administrators

Do you get a blue screen when your system crashes? Sounds like it could be an overheating issues to me - what are you system specs? Also how many leagues/countries are you running in game?

Had exactly the same problem and it is overheating that causes this problem. Where was your laptop when it packed up, because a lot of people put them on their beds or settee's and this blocks the ventilation slots and so overheating. If your fan does not kick in then it wont take long to start overheating.

When I use my laptop I put it on a piece of contiboard. As it cost me a new laptop I am looking after this one. If you look under your laptop....mines a SONY VAIO....you will see the ventilation slots and when you put this on a soft surface it sinks into the material and blocks up the vent slots. What happens is that air is sucked up into the vents under the machine and when you put your hand at the back or side of your laptop you have probably felt the warm air being blown out, but if the channel is blocked or the fan has stopped then you are in trouble, so get it serviced as it could also be blocked with fluff and dirt etc.

at a desk why do you think laptops are referd to as notebooks now cuz its proven that by having them on soft material or on your lap cuases them to overheat

They call them notebooks now because someone was wearing shorts and put a laptop on his lap and severely burnt his knees and thighs and sued the company concerned. So I think I am right in saying that they are not allowed to call them laptops now.

They call them notebooks now because someone was wearing shorts and put a laptop on his lap and severely burnt his knees and thighs and sued the company concerned. So I think I am right in saying that they are not allowed to call them laptops now.

Never knew that! Unbelievable world we live in isn't it?

It most certainly is dirtyscarab. A woman in USA used to show minature dogs at shows, came home late one day washed and shampooed the dog, it was still damp so she put it in a microwave for 30 sec's, dog died, she sued company and won millions of dollars because it did not say on the mircowave do not put animals in the microwave.

Always had a laptop running on my bed for hours without overheating issues, my new Vaio has a side vent though which means its not an issue. Plus that wouldn't account for it only starting to happen with FM10. Maybe a system conflict, I've had that but that was merely IE 7 freezing (so I upgraded which worked), was nothing like this.

Always had a laptop running on my bed for hours without overheating issues, my new Vaio has a side vent though which means its not an issue. Plus that wouldn't account for it only starting to happen with FM10. Maybe a system conflict, I've had that but that was merely IE 7 freezing (so I upgraded which worked), was nothing like this.

na its gota be a heat issuse as FM is processor hungry and will make the system hot a lot quicker a conflict wouldnt just shut the laptop down without a error message

That side vent is what the VAIO engineers call an 'exhaust vent' and does not suck air in. Air is drawn into the machine from the vents in the bottom, is then drawn over the boards and processor and out through the side vent. Thats why you have the little 'feet' on the bottom of laptops to allow air to be drawn into it.

how do you clean the fans and the grill safely? i don't want to cock up my laptop.

and why does my laptop only ever shut down when playing footie manager? or more specificially only on a matchday when playing a game. Can be after just 10 minutes after switching on but only when playing a game and never during fm 'week'

Also I can be typing, surfing net etc for four hours and it won't shut down but will after five mins playing fm

i have the dell xpsm1530. surely that can handle the graphics etc

Archived