Closest last day of the season?

Went into the last day and could finish anything from 2nd to 8th depending on how results went. Got a 2-2 away at the Emirates and finished 7th. A win would have given me 3rd... Gutted!! Resisted the temptation to, ahem, reload the game!!

Anyone had that many Clubs still vying for the top spots like that on the last day?

Final Table

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg265/SussexHammer/?action=view&current=FINALTABLE.jpg

I had this one:

Final League Table

League Positions Graph - FC United and Charlton

League Positions Graph - Bristol City and Crewe

League Positions Graph - Barnsley and Doncaster

Six teams chasing the title which was decided on the last day with Barnsley coming from no where.

I lost to Crewe in the playoffs :(

How did the Hammers get 10 points deducted ?

When I was in League 1 I had a final game where I started at 8th (6th is needed to get to the play-offs), and I needed the following results:

Farsley (8th) vs Stockport (10th) -> Farsley to win

Crewe (4th) vs Bristol Rovers (7th) -> Crewe to win or draw

Tranmere (6th) vs Doncaster (5th) -> Doncaster to win

And this is what happened:

5 mins - Farsley 1 - Stockport 0

6 mins - Tranmere 1 - Doncaster 0

17 mins - Crewe 1 - Bristol Rovers 0

22 mins - Farsley 2 - Stockport 0

28 mins - Farsley 2 - Stockport 1

43 mins - Crewe 1 - Bristol Rovers 1

55 mins - Tranmere 2 - Doncaster 0

60 mins - Crewe 1 - Bristol Rovers 2

73 mins - Tranmere 2 - Doncaster 1

78 mins - Tranmere 2 - Doncaster 2

84 mins - Crewe 2 - Bristol Rovers 2

88 mins - Tranmere 2 - Doncaster 3

Absolutely epic, those final 15 minutes.

Unfortunately although we qualified for the play-offs and made it to the final, we lost on penalties. Still though, a cracking effort for a team who were bottom a few weeks before Christmas.

Also a few seasons later when I was in the Prem, with 3 games to go, any team from 1st to 8th could've won the league.

I've just finished my latest season with Liverpool, and was looking to win my 4th title in 4 years. My final league game away to Reading had been postponed due to my Champions League final against Barcelona. As a result, Arsenal won their last game at Wolves to go two points ahead of me, with all their games played. Basically, I had to win that Reading game, and the Royals had nothing to play for, having secured a safe mid-table finish with no chance of Europe. It took two goals in the 88th and 90th minutes to get the win I needed a pinch the title by a point. Ironically, I'd already decided to sell the opening goalscorer before the match started.

Had one season with something like that on 09. However top 2 were decided but there was still 7 other teams fighting it out for the last 2 CL places and the other UEFA spots. I did have a crazy season well into a save long ago on CM 01/02, where 6 teams had a chance to win the Premiership title on the very last day. I think that was a record low for points needed to win ever in any game/save I've played in the series.

I was in charge of Plymouth and sitting 4th with Blackburn up next, they needed a win to stay up, if i won i'd finish 4th and qualify for the CL, Man Utd were fifth and were 2 points behind me, i lost 2-1 and Man U won, meaning i finished 5th, i was 1-0 up as well!!!

I was Newport County in BSN and was going for the title. Lewes were on 78, then I was on 77 with a better GD meaning if I got a better result than them then we were champions. In my game everything went smoothly, as I cruised to an easy 3-0 victory and at 86 minutes, Lewes were 2-1 down meaning unless they produced a miracle, we were going up!

And guess what, they produced a miracle, scoring in the 88th and 92nd minutes meaning incredibly they had beaten me to the title in the dying seconds of the season, was pretty devastated as I hardly ever win leagues in FM. Lost in the playoffs as well, couldn't believe it :(

Archived