Recent in-game advertising (12/04/09)

• SI Staff

Without wishing to whinge too much I'd like to ask who else's ad hoardings currently consist of only these two advertisements (Sega, and some Blu-Ray thing).

Not a monumental issue but I feel it looks a bit poor at the moment... I assume they'll change soon?

(Oh, and if anyone's interested I took that screenshot right before I scored a second goal :D )

Because I doubt anyone is going to waste their money to advertise in FM?

Don't see why not, its played by thousands of people. Why do people waste money advertising at BSN, BSS, BSP and L2 matches? More people see the match in FM games than go to those matches.

Hobgob.

• SI Staff

I remember before the release of FM09 there was a lot of 'controversy' about suggested in-game advertising, which was considered quite a big addition. Now it appears to fallen by the wayside. That said, it's not really something I care about so much as to really do anything about it.

This is one of the reasons I chose not to buy FM09. I hate ads, and sure as *poof* don't want to pay to watch them!

If they're out of FM2010 or it's possible to remove them, I may reconsider and buy the game (again).

tbh, this looks like a bad reason not to buy FM09. You can disable them anyway, as Peter has proved

Welcome to the world of football. When you go to a football match or watch one on tv, don't you get bombarded by adverts, from the sponsors on teams' shirts to dozens of ad-boards all arround the pitch? Do you want realism or not? Personaly I don't have any problem at all.

Welcome to the world of football. When you go to a football match or watch one on tv, don't you get bombarded by adverts, from the sponsors on teams' shirts to dozens of ad-boards all arround the pitch? Do you want realism or not? Personaly I don't have any problem at all.

I've got a bad aim and kept clicking them :o

This is one of the reasons I chose not to buy FM09. I hate ads, and sure as *poof* don't want to pay to watch them!

If they're out of FM2010 or it's possible to remove them, I may reconsider and buy the game (again).

So i take it you dont use carrier bags from shops then?

because said carrier bags have the companies logo branded on them so that while you walk home with them you are advertising the store.

Or i take it you dont buy fast food because of the McDonalds logos and Burger king logos on the side of the cups etc?

Or use a mobile phone because the network providers logo is displayed at startup and in the background most of the time?

Or buy your teams shirts etc... because they will have adverts on them?

Or do you just want to admit that that is possibly the single worst excuse for not buying a game anyone on earth has ever came out with?

So i take it you dont use carrier bags from shops then?

because said carrier bags have the companies logo branded on them so that while you walk home with them you are advertising the store.

Or i take it you dont buy fast food because of the McDonalds logos and Burger king logos on the side of the cups etc?

Or use a mobile phone because the network providers logo is displayed at startup and in the background most of the time?

Or buy your teams shirts etc... because they will have adverts on them?

Or do you just want to admit that that is possibly the single worst excuse for not buying a game anyone on earth has ever came out with?

The ones in bold are the company advertising themselves on there own product and not putting other advertisements. Totally different as you will take no notice of them.

To be fair:

1. Its the advertising hoardings off the pitch, at the side; my eye is rarely attracted to them as I'm following the action on the pitch. Your choice of 3-D camera may impact this.

2. I'm never "forced to watch them", they don't interrupt or delay game play.

3. You can disable "click through", its in your Preferences, so that clicking on an ad doesn't accidentally interrupt your game experience.

So, though I have a strong anti-advertising personal bias, I've found SI's approach to be tasteful and inoffensive .. and certainly not a deal-breaker for FM'09.

To be fair:

1. Its the advertising hoardings off the pitch, at the side; my eye is rarely attracted to them as I'm following the action on the pitch. Your choice of 3-D camera may impact this.

2. I'm never "forced to watch them", they don't interrupt or delay game play.

3. You can disable "click through", its in your Preferences, so that clicking on an ad doesn't accidentally interrupt your game experience.

So, though I have a strong anti-advertising personal bias, I've found SI's approach to be tasteful and inoffensive .. and certainly not a deal-breaker for FM'09.

My only issue with this is that I like the links in the news screen etc. Anyway, I deleted them and now find my 2D-Classic experience (now I have removed the timebar) back to how it was in FM08

Without wishing to whinge too much I'd like to ask who else's ad hoardings currently consist of only these two advertisements (Sega, and some Blu-Ray thing).

Not a monumental issue but I feel it looks a bit poor at the moment... I assume they'll change soon?

(Oh, and if anyone's interested I took that screenshot right before I scored a second goal :D )

If you dont like them then change the 2 images and the xml format for your team

Guess you don't watch football in real life either then

• SI Staff

I actually like the adverts if they add realism, but if there's just two different adboards it just doesn't look right. Suppose I could download an adboard pack, but as I'm playing in the BSN ads for huge multinationals may look a bit ridiculous!

I actually like the adverts if they add realism, but if there's just two different adboards it just doesn't look right. Suppose I could download an adboard pack, but as I'm playing in the BSN ads for huge multinationals may look a bit ridiculous!

LOL, I know what you mean. Arround the pitch of my local amateur football club (imagine something 2 or 3 levels below BSN/S), there's a wall were a local butcher's shop, an internet cafe' and a local bar are adverdised. And these are painted ads, lol! But, tbh, I've watched all levels of football in 4 different countries and yet to see a football pitch without some kind of advertisment arround. It's simple - football and ads go hand in hand, so yes, they add to the realism of the game.

Archived