Transfers: Make none.

For the first time in an FM game, i'm going out of my way not to make any transfers, and only sell, and then replace with youngsters. I'm currently having my best ever season. No bedding in time for new players. thus no problems, Anyone else play like this?

I have never had any success with youth and regens.

It will come to a point where you will be forced to buy, because as your players get older and less physically able, your youth team may lower the standard of your overall team and your club will suffer.

It's your game though, do what you want.

You'll make a load of money though :cool:

Depends on the team you start at. If you are playing with a team with low(ish) training and youth facilities and you just put money into them could you move up the leagues this way? I may do an experiment type save to try this.

Depends on the team you start at. If you are playing with a team with low(ish) training and youth facilities and you just put money into them could you move up the leagues this way? I may do an experiment type save to try this.

Go for it, sounds an idea.

I'm CSKA Moscow, not sure it would work with a Manchester United or Real Madrid, but it's working OK for me with CSKA.

For the first time in an FM game, i'm going out of my way not to make any transfers, and only sell, and then replace with youngsters. I'm currently having my best ever season. No bedding in time for new players. thus no problems, Anyone else play like this?

I've been thinking about trying this with my 2018 Juve team, maybe not as extreme though. I'll buy some young players but no huge signings.

I've found that there is a huge abundance of quality regens in FM09. By 2014 I'm managing England and Newcastle, and both teams are about half-and-half already. A real selection headache, but a good one. Lampard didn't make the World Cup squad, but Gerrard is probably the competition's best player so far (in quarters). My right and left wingers (both England and Club) are better than any "real" English players I've found, as are a couple of right-backs (not left-backs for some reason). I suppose each game is different and it will depend what level you are playing at.

I try my best to do this anyway. That way the players get a really good understanding, and you never have to pay out for transfer fee's. I think this would only work with lower league teams though because it would be hard to replace players with youth players in the Premier League.

I think this would only work with lower league teams though because it would be hard to replace players with youth players in the Premier League.

It may work best with lower league teams that stay in their division, or only are promoted once every 5 years, or so.

For teams that rise through the divisions, as mine has, I would think it to be the opposite - I am in 2014/2015, in the Championship with Bishop's Stortford, and have been with them since the BSS. Not sure if it is down to the lower reputation of the club, or if the game is designed in a way that it cannot compensate for a more rapid rise through the divisions, but I have to bring in players, because my youth players cannot develop in time to support my competition level.

It seems like EPL clubs would have EPL and CCC level regens, at least as far as potential goes, and if they start out at League 1 caliber to begin with, within 3 seasons, give or take a few, they should become fringe players, and within 5 seasons, or so, they should be able to cut it in the 1st team.

I was thinking about this very same idea, as my signings are awful, just plain awful. Allthough I can still see me straying away trying to buy the next talent, who ends up turning out to be ace, and moving on, or they weren't as "Ace" as I first thought, this may, jsut may be a better way to play. Good shout.

Insert_Goal_Here - I've not gone to that extreme, but in my current Altrincham save, I have thus far refused to pay a fee of any sort for players and have signed everyone on free transfers. Obviously in my first season, I didn't have any transfer budget whatsoever to use anyway, but in my second season I have had some budget, though I've not used it.

I think it's fair to say that each season there's that many free agents or players out of contract, with no compensation required, that I could maintain this policy indefinately. At the moment I have my own personal salary cap that I will not exceed individually for players. This has actually helped squad harmony a great deal and I've not yet had players with problems because they feel they should be on the same terms as a higher paid player.

Archived