IDEA!!:Widget Chat!!

Ok.... for the first time ever i decided to hook up with mates on fmlive to play a fm09 netowrk game....all is well but the manager chat is SO AWKWARD!!

Back and forth numerous times... and with an average connection it takes a while....so i came up with this genious idea of instead of just going back and forth have a WIDGET CHATBOX!! where you can move it around anywhere you want on the screen so it won't get in the way....

I can't think of any down sides to this idea....it is practical and saves time!!

thanks

aidan parry

You can't have hooked up a netwrok game on FMLive.

FMlive is a subscription game.

I think that it is a good idea.

Plus, the chatting in FMLive is very good.

He was talking about playing his FM Live mates in an FM09 network game I think Rob.

I like the idea :thup:

You can't have hooked up a netwrok game on FMLive.

FMlive is a subscription game.

I think that it is a good idea.

Plus, the chatting in FMLive is very good.

No you don't get me....some friends on fmlive decided to make a network game on FM09 seperatley.....

meanwhile we were in network game we all came to the conclusion the chat has a little lag and is awkward to get to and forth from pages....so make a widget chat box!!!

We need to do this!!! Cumon Spread the Thread Around!

Why bump your own thread after 6 minutes? Chill your boots a little mate

FWIW, I don't ever play online, but I can see that this may well be useful to people that do, if it is possible to implement that is

Why bump your own thread after 6 minutes? Chill your boots a little mate

FWIW, I don't ever play online, but I can see that this may well be useful to people that do, if it is possible to implement that is

Sorry i just thought it was a stroke of genious that happens once every 6 months almost exactly and was excited xD

Sorry i just thought it was a stroke of genious that happens once every 6 months almost exactly and was excited xD

I'm with you mate, i think it's a great idea. Me and my friend are playing in italy and we are both milan teams, i'm inter and dominating and when in the derbies i always ended up sending him messages for him to read at full time, but it'd be great for him to see them during the game. It shouldn't be too hard to impliment i hope.

I understand now!

Yeah, good idea but isn't a netwrok game basically just FM09 with two managers in differnet places on different computers, instead of hot-seat play.

So, if they did do this, then they would have to have it on the original FM, as well which would render it useless when in single-player mode.

Other than that, it would be good for network pla, during matches.

I understand now!

Yeah, good idea but isn't a netwrok game basically just FM09 with two managers in differnet places on different computers, instead of hot-seat play.

So, if they did do this, then they would have to have it on the original FM, as well which would render it useless when in single-player mode.

Other than that, it would be good for network pla, during matches.

well not really as the messenger option only appears during network play. so they could just do the same thing.

Can't you just put a news item in their news box.

That's how I communicate on network games.

You click the speach bubble icon, and type you message in then send it.

It comes up in their news.

Personally I dont see the point in the widget thing, but it wouldn't bother me i guess.

Can't you just put a news item in their news box.

That's how I communicate on network games.

You click the speach bubble icon, and type you message in then send it.

It comes up in their news.

Personally I dont see the point in the widget thing, but it wouldn't bother me i guess.

That's not really chatting. It's more like sending mail, not instant messaging.

Actually, it IS a very good idea. :)

A couple of you seem confused, as a network game on FM09 is not a separate piece of software to the regular FM09 game. And obviously he isn't talking about FM Live. In FM09, the Manager Chat option only comes up when you have multiple players, and frankly it's rubbish. It's not even the lag that annoys me, it's the fact you have to keep moving between screens and as soon as you go to another screen you leave the chat room. Nobody knows what the heck is going on half the time, and you end up resorting to sending messages - which is both irritating and time consuming.

FM09 already has widgets in the new match engine, so adding a few to the main UI as well shouldn't be that difficult. Sure, more people play solo than network, but if the feature's there and is going to be used by more than a few users... it should be made to be the best experience possible. Something this simple would be a time-saver and would definitely improve the game.

As for using MSN and other such chat software... yes, that's what people usually resort to. But how is the potential use of other software in any way related to what would improve the Football Manager game? What if someone who is playing doesn't have an MSN account or whatever is used instead? Are they supposed to sign up a new account and install other software just for FM? Build it into the game in a friendly way, and the job's done. :D

As for using MSN and other such chat software... yes, that's what people usually resort to. But how is the potential use of other software in any way related to what would improve the Football Manager game? What if someone who is playing doesn't have an MSN account or whatever is used instead? Are they supposed to sign up a new account and install other software just for FM? Build it into the game in a friendly way, and the job's done. :D

Why re-invent the wheel? MSN is a dedicated piece of software for a specific purpose - instant messaging. To improve the network chat in FM to make it even half as good as the likes of MSN, ICQ, Google Talk, etc is a bigger job than it sounds.

I agree that it is a good idea in theory however for the percentage of users that would make use of it, I feel the time would be better spent improving or adding features that the majority of users would make use of rather than the minority.

I've played several network games and never once even attempted to use the manager chat thing. The fact is that you probably know the people you are playing with and have arranged to set up the game and everything using some other method of communication that was most likely designed for the purpose of communicating. So there is really no need for there to be any chat within fm itself.

I agree. There's absolutely no need to improve this because people can always install other software (that they may not want) that can potentially create other conflicts with their machine or even be down and not working when they want to play the game. These people should also be forced to play in windowed mode - even if their computer can't support it - so that they can actually use that program at the same time. Oh, wait. SI mustn't actually agree with that because they already implemented manager chat in the game!

As for those saying forget it because it only affects other people (whether because you don't play FM online or because you use another chat program)... that's the most selfish attitude I ever heard. The bottom line is that I didn't ever use FM online myself prior to this week, so I wouldn't have ever thought that it would be useful either... yet I'd never tell other people to go and use other software or say I preferred SI to spend their time doing other things because I personally didn't use it. One man's poison is another man's nectar.

If you seriously think that SI would add this at the expense of another feature, you're being paranoid and kidding yourself. All we're saying is... it's already in the game. SI have now implemented both widget and chat technologies (they've obviously spent time on them), so please make it work properly and make it useful.

i think its a great idea and something that could be implemented if its not to hard to add to the UI as i play FM09 online nearly everyday and use MSN or hamachi to chat to the others but if you could do it in game it would be easier becaus not everyone can run FM windowed so they have to keep ALT+TAB out of game to MSN/Hamachi just to chat and on some systems that causes there pc/laptop to lag which then slows the network game down because the other players have to wait for there pc/laptop to stop lagging and let them back in game

You could even just use steam-friends overlay shortcut to chat and then you wouldn't even have to alt tab if you are not playing in windowed mode. Although I suspect the kind of person who would whine at using the plethora of established communications system would hate the notion of steam.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about using the "plethora" of available systems, but Steam is absolutely rubbish. For everything. I tried it at great length but ultimately gave up, and no... I don't have problems with anything else and am well aware of what is going on with my machine. Steam just tries to take over too much. And other than that, all other chat programs (which I am aware of) won't work very well in FM full-screen mode. You really shouldn't be touting the use of other software merely as a replacement for a feature idea, to be honest. It's lazy and doesn't improve FM in any way - just gives everybody an excuse to not think of improvements and to pile up your computer with other software (which we all know can cause tons of issues). Next you'll be saying SI should remove the match engine completely and we can all go and play FIFA when we want to play the actual fixture!

It's a feature suggestion to improve FM in one particular way (for the online/network component). Not one person has yet come up with an actual reason why this shouldn't be implemented. All those who don't like it either don't play FM online or have another functional way to do it. If there is no real reason to not add it, then it obviously should be added, and I doubt it would be very hard to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived