[FM20] The story of Chad Brown - From America's worst college team* to the American Hall of Fame

Makoto Nakamura

*may not actually be the worst team but they're definitely up there. 

VMI Keydets logo.svg

The VMI Keydets men's soccer team is an intercollegiate varsity sports team of the Virginia Military Institute. The team is a member of the Southern Conference of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Historically, VMI has been one of the weakest NCAA Division I men's soccer programs. In their 60-year existence, the Keydets have only had two seasons with a winning record (1990 and 2004), and three seasons with a conference winning record (1976, 1977, and 1982). The program went for an NCAA record 67-match losing streak from 2014 until 2018, where they won against an NCAA Division III opponent. Prior to the varsity program, VMI had a club team which competed from the late 1870s until 1959. The club team has been retroactively deemed national champions by the American Soccer History Archives for the 1885 and 1889 college soccer seasons.

The program's best performance in the regular season came in 1977 where they finished as Southern Conference runners-up.

GIXMVWLTSHLAEHC.20080605154000.jpg

Managerial History

abe6d44401ee027abc26366e8427be76.png

2019 Statistics

252129e58ce4002bd72cff19216ed9a7.png

Top 10 College Teams of 2019

c309ab347c0f330753d8a383a585d63d.png

Bottom 10 College Teams of 2019

f429771a2cf49fa66191d9e374219dc9.png

The aim of this save is to start out by making Virginia Military Keydets a decent NCAA side before working my way up the American leagues to the point where I become the best American manager of all time.

3b3b29cb2155dfaf27026fc6d5a55a11.png

97e42ba938c9f58077137d8464bfc54e.png

Edited by Makoto Nakamura

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Jon Freeman got 19 games? :lol:

61f524331761779f6f50b8f7b40f6a28.png

And the board were happy with how he did! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Do clubs at this level do a draft, or is it a normal intake? 

I notice that there is no highlighted areas for promotion/relegation on the league table. What gives? 

I don't think we get an intake because we can't play players under 19 or over 23.

There is no promotion or relegation in America, the aim is for us to do well enough in our group for us to qualify for the end of season College Cup. 

I don't understand how it works but we'll find out as the season continues. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Am I the only person who absolutely hates American "Soccer"? :lol:

Probably not, it's just confusing. :lol:

1 minute ago, Rikulec said:

I'm confused, but I'll be happy as long as you keep winning. :D

I echo that statement!

Chad Brown: the name is made of winning :D

The USA expansion file made by Uncle Sam is a thing of beauty. USLC (second tier) is my favorite as unlike MLS you can recruit a team of 15 years old wonderkids from the myriads of U.S. minor academies - for free! - and it's still a decent league without the (default) bugs of MLS. Starting from NCAA and making your way through the USA pyramid should be a great challenge. I was always tempted to try a career with FC Bascome (USL league 2) whose academy produces Bermudian regens - good potential for a club and country challenge :D - though the club doesn't have much room for further growth.

Edited by kandersson

9 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

Cheers mate. Good luck in the collegiate system. I only really know it from following the NFL, and even there it seems confusing.

Thanks Mr_Demus! I only really follow the USL through them streaming league matches for free on YouTube. 

7 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Chad Brown: the name is made of winning :D

The USA expansion file made by Uncle Sam is a thing of beauty. USLC (second tier) is my favorite as unlike MLS you can recruit a team of 15 years old wonderkids from the myriads of U.S. minor academies - for free! - and it's still a decent league without the (default) bugs of MLS. Starting from NCAA and making your way through the USA pyramid should be a great challenge. I was always tempted to try a career with FC Bascome (USL league 2) whose academy produces Bermudian regens - good potential for a club and country challenge :D - though the club doesn't have much room for further growth.

I tried to think of the most American name I could. :lol:

It's a consistently amazing database year after year. I'm really looking forward to the journey and seeing where we end up down the line!

I take it Bascome are an expansion team because they're not in the league in season 1, but that's another team to add on the list of teams that produce regens from a different country! :D 

1 minute ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Thanks Mr_Demus! I only really follow the USL through them streaming league matches for free on YouTube. 

I tried to think of the most American name I could. :lol:

It's a consistently amazing database year after year. I'm really looking forward to the journey and seeing where we end up down the line!

I take it Bascome are an expansion team because they're not in the league in season 1, but that's another team to add on the list of teams that produce regens from a different country! :D 

Chad Brown was definitely the quarterback and captain of the football team in high school :D

Yeah I think Bascome start play in 2020 in League 2, though maybe their academy is already active from the beginning. The level of detail of this database is nuts and gets better every year.

Good luck in the NCAA!

1 minute ago, kandersson said:

Chad Brown was definitely the quarterback and captain of the football team in high school :D

Yeah I think Bascome start play in 2020 in League 2, though maybe their academy is already active from the beginning. The level of detail of this database is nuts and gets better every year.

Good luck in the NCAA!

Chad was definitely...a Chad back in high school. :lol:

2177fca33d35563e725e8da1d4862a2c.png

Bascome have only played a friendly against a non-league Canadian side (I also have the Canadian Premier League loaded) this season.

Thanks!

My beloved American soccer is just...... a mess.  A group of non-affiliated leagues that don't really play nicely with one another.  Honestly, it's as American as can be.

College sports are just a whole other animal, due to amateurism(which is facing severe challenges at the government level - college athletes will likely be able to profit off of their likeness within 5-10 years time).

Anyways, looking forward to seeing you rise through the ranks and win the 4,387 cups on offer.

23 minutes ago, ranks39 said:

My beloved American soccer is just...... a mess.  A group of non-affiliated leagues that don't really play nicely with one another.  Honestly, it's as American as can be.

College sports are just a whole other animal, due to amateurism(which is facing severe challenges at the government level - college athletes will likely be able to profit off of their likeness within 5-10 years time).

Anyways, looking forward to seeing you rise through the ranks and win the 4,387 cups on offer.

IT's definitely a big old mess, I have no clue how many competitions I'm going to end up having managed in! :lol:

41 minutes ago, ranks39 said:

There's one particular cup Chad Brown won't be able to win: it's the famous NPSL members cup that becomes inactive after first season. Won it with New York Cosmos before they joined NISA in 2020 :D

2019 End of Season Review

af50c9c7fd2dd0a2f248216132adeee6.png

Double winners! I think that's all there is to win at college level?

a184be4bf19158e31fc7ca28849a4a4e.png05658107dce4ba4268aa478267274e5e.png

f16f90b619bf18a3c1b03608652e379e.png

2019 Best XI

2d404990ea754cb5356c30788525b7c0.png

Paul Mendoza

Chris Pollock - Tim Feldmeier - Xavier Paredes - Mike Thibault

Tony Nzie

Andrei Nuzzi - Ricardo Loera

Jonathan Sepulveda                               Cameron Calvano

Ryan Renfro

5f1b5d4f7b12f75c76e2c75419fff5fe.png

2020 End of Season Review

There were no more fixtures after our Quarter Final defeat.

bd31f83fcd4fa000f719f3eb764bbeb6.png8b95756c02ee54fd4daa68a4d52397fc.png

9a4ea1b0c66f6d561cd56c073b8d7a84.png

Overall Best XI

48c9fd55e31293df89d88c3597efbedc.png

2020 Best XI

3b32aab79c9ec8d19c4ae6eddc750c31.png

Zodji Abatcha

Chris Pollock - Tony Nzie - Xavier Paredes - Carl Thorpe

Tomas Valadez

Andrei Nuzzi - Chris Wilson

Russell Rosario                               Cameron Calvano

Zac Hunt