Break down "parking the bus"

My opponent park the bus in almost every game. 

Any tactical suggestions. 

I play 4 4 2.

My suggestion is

4 4 2

Positiv mentality

Play very wide direct passing

High tempo

Low crosses

GK Sweeper keepe A

Backs inv fullback S

Cen Def ballplaying D

CM APM and DLP both S

Inverted wingers S

2 DL strikers S

Edited by Lyngby

A lot of this doesn't make much sense. Yes, play wider to stretch the defence out but why have all of your wide players coming narrow? You have no-one exploiting the width. You have no-one on attack duty so no-one trying to penetrate the defence. Two playmakers in central midfield are just going to pass the ball back and forth for days. Two BPDs are probably going to hoof it long and give away possession. With two strikers dropping deep and no-one running from midfield there's no-one to get on the end of a cross or a long ball.

Against the parked bus, you need to create space for your attacks. You need a variety of threats, but the setup you describe has little or no threat at all.

In my view, to break down a parked bus you need a few key ingredients.

- Good width

In order to open up the channels in between the opposition defenders for your players to attack. If the defending team refuse to move out wide to engage the threat then that also works out as then your wide players will have a lot of time and space to pick out crosses.

Your tactic - There is no width in the team at all and everyone is seeking to move into the central areas making it easier for the opposition to defend against you as they don't have to cover the full width of the pitch.

- Good depth

An often overlooked aspect but a critical one. You need a player who will sit back behind the ball when it's in the final third and offer an outlet should an attack fail. It allows you to sustain pressure on an opponent. For e.g. you attack down the left flank but the opposition block that path to goal, without a player sitting deep you have no means of switching flank or moving the ball to an area of the pitch where your players have space. You also need at least one player that threatens to run in behind at all times.

Your tactic - You have no holding midfielder which means no consistent way of recycling possession in the final third and no depth, you also don't have any attack duties in your front 2.

- Good variety

Unpredictability is what real life defenders dislike the most. If your attacks are all one dimensional and the opposition defenders can anticipate what your players are going to do every time they can easily defend against you. It is the indecision which creates gaps and forces errors. Ideally, you want to create situations that whatever course of action a defender takes when confronted with a threat is wrong. For e.g. Say you are playing with a support duty IW infront of a attack duty FB. If the IW has the ball out wide and is dribbling towards the central areas the opposition fullback has a choice to make. He either tracks the IW or allows him to cut inside unchallenged. Where the overlapping fullback comes in is that whatever the opposition fullback decides to do is going to have consequences. If he tracks the IW that creates space for the fullback to run wide into, if he stays put then the IW is going to have space.

Your tactic - Very little variety, all your attacks are through the middle. Also, you are getting your players to play very direct all the time which is in contradiction with the some of the roles you have for your players (DLF).

- Good tempo

Being able to move the ball around quickly gives less time for the opposition players to recover defensively. A balance does need to be struck though. If your attacks progress too quickly there isn't ample opportunity for players to contribute, conversely, if your attacks progress too slowly then it gives the opposition far too much time to get fixed in their defensive positions.

Your tactic - You may be playing at too high a tempo.

There are also other strategies you can employ such as creating overloads, smart use of substitutions, setting pressing traps and effective man management.

Finally, I find it hard to believe that the majority of teams you face are all parking the bus. Setting up defensively, perhaps but parking the bus and sticking a load of men behind the ball (playing formations like a 5-3-2DM or 4-2-2-2DM) is somewhat different to that.

Hopefully, what I've written can help you think about what you need to do to consistently beat more defensive opposition.

I agree I am not a tactiacal genius 

Would this make sense

Play wide

Low crosses

Looking for overlab

Mentality Positiv

Focus pkay down right/left flank

Lookung for overlab

Tempo slightly higher

Passing standard

GK A

Left WB A

CD D

CD D

Right WB A

Left WM A

CM S

AP A

Right WM A

AF A

AF A

12 hours ago, Lyngby said:

Positiv mentality

direct passing

High tempo 

GK Sweeper keepe A

If your opponents park the bus, you are actually playing into their hands by using the combination of these 3 instructions - a high-risk mentality + direct pass + high tempo - plus a SK on attack duty.. They sit back defending deep and tight, and you are moving the ball quickly in the very area where they are most densely packed. So it's probably easy for them to deal with most of your attacks and clear the ball. 

12 hours ago, Lyngby said:

CM APM and DLP both S

Another mistake - two playmakers literally next to each other. Both are doing basically the same thing - trying to organize play, but for whom? Perhaps the only positive aspect of having 2 PMs in this particular tactic is that they might slightly slow down the play that has been needlessly rushed by the earlier mentioned instructions. 

13 hours ago, Lyngby said:

Inverted wingers S

2 DL strikers S

So there is not a single attack duty in your setup apart from the keeper (whose attack duty now makes even less sense). 

To summarize - you are rushing the play by your instructions (in tandem with the mentality), but have no attack duty among outfield players. Even both your strikers are in the same duty and even same role.

Last but not least, the setup is extremely one-dimensional - absolutely no variety both on the flanks and up front. 

3 hours ago, Lyngby said:

Would this make sense

Not really. You've simply done the opposite of what you had in your first approach, but you've just moved all the problems to different areas of the pitch. Whereas you had nobody on attack before, now almost everybody is attacking. Where everyone came narrow, now everyone stays wide.

To make things worse, this is all rather academic. We don't know what team you're managing, what league you're in, what type of players you have. You asked specifically about beating the parked bus, which suggests you do okay when the AI doesn't park the bus. So show us that tactic, and you'll get specific advice about changes to make. Otherwise we're just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Thank yuu for the advice  affter  a  little study I came to this solution

SWK A

FB A           BPD D BPD D      FB A

W S            CM SP   Mez  S      W S

AF A   AF A

Playing wiide max

Narrow defence

looking for overlab  

Slightly lower tempo

High pressure

Def line low

Matc prep Att movements Diffcult away mathes deff shape

Working perfect in premier league with Preston P 26 W 20 D 5 L1 goals 74-17 13 clean sheets possesion is in the low end

W S            CM SP   Mez  S      W S    straight line

AF A   AF A   straight line

Playing wide max

Narrow defence   - if you are truly moving a parked bus you shouldn't worry as much about defensive shape

looking for overlap  - wide players will hold up the ball and could slow down your moves, I wouldn't use that TI in this situation

Slightly lower tempo - wouldn't worry about it

High pressure  - defence again.  let them breathe a bit and come out of their shell.  It may help you find space

Def line low

Matc prep Att movements Diffcult away mathes deff shape

1 hour ago, Lyngby said:

Working perfect in premier league with Preston P 26 W 20 D 5 L1 goals 74-17 13 clean sheets possesion is in the low end

I raise my eyebrows.  Long may it last for you.  Let's see ;)

Edited by Robson 07
spelling

Don't look for overlap. The full backs will naturally overlap according to their role and duty if you make one WB(s) and the other Fb(a). But telling them to look for overlap makes them hold up the ball and the opposition gets time to be organised and ready for the cross.

But also, in a 442 you dont want them to overlap because you make yourself too weak defensively. You only want 1 to get forward. The other should stay deep.

Edited by permanentquandary