Critique This 4-3-1-2

I started of with the 'Wolf' formation that's solid defensively and I've tried to make it more offensive.  So rather than having two PF I have one CF with two Trequartista's sitting behind.  This means only one central midfielder but the IWB and wide defensive midfielders (set to sit narrower) shouldn't mean I'm overrun.

4-3-2-1.thumb.JPG.ce2f0b0426a2f8995a53aedd9e357613.JPG

I played a full season in the SPFL and that starts were:

- Most goals scored with 97

- Best Heading Completion 68%

- Best average possession 62%

- Best Passing accuracy 84%

- Best Cross completion 28%

- Second in goals conceded with 21 (Celtic were top with 23)

However, I didn't even register when it came to 'best tackling completion'?

TacklesWon.thumb.JPG.3572800e77e5ce674e1abb7613a05ae4.JPG

The results were pretty good.  I was dominated by PSG away but held them at home.  I wish I could've made the final but it wasn't to be.

Results.thumb.JPG.5439442aa6622e798b681c151797ddae.JPG

Anyway, the main issue with this tactic is the CF isn't scoring enough goals.  Most of the goals are coming from one of my Trequartista's and my right-sided DW-su who has chipped in with an amazing 23 goals:

Goals.thumb.JPG.e7e793a881d413c44cfce8da82980610.JPG

Questions I would ask:

How to better utilise my lone striker?  He's a good striker but just isn't scoring enough goals.

How do I win more tackles?  This shape is pretty solid defensively and my players big and powerful so I should be winning the ball back very often.

Is there any tweaks you guys would make to this formation in order to improve it?  

23 hours ago, PigeonStrangler said:

How to better utilise my lone striker?  He's a good striker but just isn't scoring enough goals.

Well you've got him on a role and duty that tells him to drop and roam around away from goal scoring positions.  That's fine if hes linking and others are making runs past him.  Currently all three attackers can roam around which can be unpredictable but can also end up with no presence/option in an area.

If you want him to have more of a focus on scoring then give him a role and duty that tells him to do that.  A forward doesn't have to be on attack duty to score goals, they can find space and get into the box later with less focus on running in behind, still needs the right role and others around him need to leave the space for the ST.

How do I win more tackles?  This shape is pretty solid defensively and my players big and powerful so I should be winning the ball back very often.

That comes down to ability to get close, then be aggressive to try to tackle then it just comes down to tackle ability va opponents ability to avoid it.

Is there any tweaks you guys would make to this formation in order to improve it?  

I'd not have two Treqs.  They are in same area and both want the ball given to them then want to create something. I'd prefer the other AM to be more focused on making runs to give the TQ a runner to look for.

If your right DW is the one getting some goals I'd probably look at changing the AMCL to give a threat on that side.

AM-At or SS-At are the two options for that position, depends if you keep your ST as is or change him to.  The other option could be to move him to ST to make higher earlier runs which keeping a support forward to create space and help link/create.  Might leave CM a bit more open but TQs aren't expected to do much and as rangers it probably wont matter except in old firm derby.

Best tackling completion seems like a pretty irrelevant stat to change a whole formation for? Anyway, if That's what you're concerned about then your best bet is to get rid of the treqs. They're hard coded to ease off tackles so they're not going to be doing you any help in the tackling stats. 

“If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.” - Paolo Maldini.
I wouldn't worry about tackles  Personally I focus more on the interception stats, although if the football is as I intend it to be, why worry?

For example, when I win fairly easily, my defensive minded cm tends to get fairly low ratings. He completes 90% of his passes, makes one or two interceptions, and his kit is clean as he's had no tackle to make .