The Toure de France!

Tikka Mezzala

Image result for breaking news"

Kolo Toure Steps Down From ASEC Mimosas 

Big news broke out of Abidjan earlier this morning, with Kolo Toure confirming that he has stepped down as manager of ASEC Mimosas. 

The reasons for Toure's departure are as of yet unclear. A statement on the ASEC Mimosas website read:

'All of us here at ASEC Mimosas would like to sincerely thank Kolo Toure for his work in the last 12 months. The team enjoyed one of its finest ever seasons under Kolo's stewardship and it is with a heavy heart that we announce his resignation. 

We wish Kolo all the best for the future.'

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just caught up with your thread. Congratulations on the league win - total domination - but commiserations on the continental final loss. I thought that after the demolition of Zamalek you were odds on...but, next year.

Hmmm...just as I was writing the above you were posting the breaking news. My timing is impeccable...

Edited by anagain

Kolo Toure Exclusive

Kolo Toure sat down with our reporter Ibrahima Kouassi to give his side of the story after leaving ASEC Mimosas. 

Q: Kolo, you shocked African football by announcing your resignation last week. After such a successful first season with ASEC, why did you decide to leave your post?

A: First of all I'd like to reaffirm my fondness for ASEC Mimosas. I have no ill-feelings towards the club or the staff there. My twelve months in charge of Mimosas was one of the highlights of my professional life. I'll always be grateful for all of the hard work that the players and staff put in to help us make it a memorable season. 

To answer your question: circumstances put me into a very difficult position. During the final months of the season there were advanced talks between the club owner and a local businessman who was interested in buying the club. An embargo was put in place regarding transfers, lasting four weeks. This was inconsequential because of it being outside the transfer window. I asked for some funds to be set aside for contract negotiations with several key players, but my request was turned down. So we ended up losing a number of players on pre-contracts. The board then accepted offers for some of our key players in the summer, even though our finances were healthy. And as we looked to replace the players another embargo was placed on us because more talks were underway with a different consortium. I asked for clarity on the situation and how long it would take. But the owner couldn't guarantee anything. So we were in a position where we lost a good part of our squad and we were watching transfer targets go elsewhere while we had a self-imposed embargo. I decided to tell Robert Ouegnin that it was not something I was prepared to work with and he refused to rectify it, so I felt I had no choice but to resign. 

Q: So you left because of a dispute over transfers?

A: That's the heart of the matter, yes. As a professional I want to work in an environment where everyone strives to improve. To see the club owner jeopardise the team because of his desire to sell the club made it hard for me to work. We were heading into preseason with less than 18 first team players. To be told that there was no time frame for the embargo meant me and my staff couldn't plan for the coming campaign. It's important to get a group ready during the off season and that involves trying to get the right numbers in and up to speed before the action. The season could have started before we were able to add to the squad, so that was not acceptable in my eyes.

Q: What were Robert Ouegnin's words to you when you asked for clarity?

A: He simply said it would take as long as it takes. He was disappointed not to sell the club in April. So he was prepared to let the talks go on for as long as they had to. I understand that these are difficult things to handle, but my job is to prepare the team and if I feel I am being prevented from doing so, then I simply have to speak my mind. We weren't able to find common ground.

Q: Do you regret the way things have turned out?

A: Absolutely. I was looking forward to another season with the team. But it was not a situation I could work with. The core of the squad was being sold off and I was given no say in the process. After what we achieved I thought the board would be very supportive of me and my staff. But it feels like business was placed above sport and that's regrettable.

Q: So what next?

A: I haven't had time to think about it, really. I have always planned on managing in Europe and I think that is where I will be edging towards. I still have a home in England and it would be good to get away from the media attention here in Abidjan. There are no places that I can say I'm likely to find myself, but I am looking for a project that interests me. I feel I am ready to take on another role and apply what I've learned. It may take time, but we'll see. 

Q: Do you have a message for the ASEC Mimosas fans and the players you have worked with?

A: Yes. I'd like to thank every one of them. It was a special season and things would not have gone so well if it weren't for the support and the work that was put in to achieve what we did. I hope the fans enjoyed the successes of the team and will understand my decision to leave. I wish the club every success for the future and I hope that my players can continue to succeed whether in Cote D'Ivoire or elsewhere.

40 minutes ago, anagain said:

Just caught up with your thread. Congratulations on the league win - total domination - but commiserations on the continental final loss. I thought that after the demolition of Zamalek you were odds on...but, next year.

Hmmm...just as I was writing the above you were posting the breaking news. My timing is impeccable...

Mamelodi Sundowns were a cut above. They really taught us a lesson. 

The owner was risking our season with the embargo and the sale of key players. Had to leave before the ship took on water.

Yaya Toure: Kolo Could Stay in Africa

Image result for Yaya Toure interview

Kolo Toure's brother, Yaya, has told BT Sport in an exclusive interview that his brother Kolo is considering a return to African football if the "right club" makes him an offer. Yaya sat down with BT to discuss his own future, with his contract set to expire in December at Chinese club Qingdao Huanghai, but the subject of his brother's start to life in football management came up and Yaya had some interesting things to say for those following the sport in Africa.

"Kolo done brilliantly with Mimosas. I was not surprised he succeeded there. It's a big club for those in Cote D'Ivoire. A big club with many fans across the country. I followed the season closely and was heartbroken when they lost the (champions league) final. It was an amazing achievement to get there. I think Kolo will make a great manager. I'd like to try it myself and who knows, maybe I'll end up managing in Cote D'Ivoire too. 

(On Kolo remaining in Africa): Yes, it's possible. He's back in London at the moment, but he is looking for opportunities to return to management. I think he feels a great affinity with African football. There are some great clubs on the continent and I know Kolo would love to win the Champions League in Africa. So never say never. He could definitely return if the right club and the right opportunity came along. In fact, I think it's likely he will manage in Africa again one day. Whether that is soon or in the distant future, I don't know. He was very sad at leaving the ASEC project."

With Yaya insisting he is interested in following his brother into management, could both Toure brothers be involved in African football again soon? Only time will tell, but it bodes well for the sport on the continent to have figures like Yaya and Kolo Toure interested in being involved with things here. 

43182ADF38504B77F0D9BCBD9A034C046F30B7F0 (1366×768)

Kolo Toure's managerial curriculum vitae:

One club managed.

Forty-nine games played. 

Thirty-nine games won.

Two domestic cups won.

One league title won. 

One CAF Champions League Runners-Up medal.

This is the CV I'll be handing in to clubs around Africa. I've decided to stay on the continent and try to build something somewhere else. I am sad at how things ended with ASEC. We were in a great place and things quickly fell apart. But the opportunity to manage another of Africa's great clubs will hopefully present itself. Maybe in North Africa, South Africa or somewhere else in the West Coast. Plenty of leagues loaded. 

Image result for L'Equipe

Nice Manager Search Set To Conclude

L'Equipe understands that OGC Nice are close to appointing Patrick Vieira's successor. The former Arsenal and France midfielder was relieved of his duties after a disastrous start to the Ligue 1 season. Nice currently sit 17th in the French top division.

L'Equipe has managed to obtain information from a source close to the club that reveals the search for a new manager is set to conclude later this week, with the club having decided on their preferred candidate. While a name has not been passed along, there have been sightings of club President Jean-Marc Coste in London, where he is said to have spoken with Vieira's former Arsenal team-mate Kolo Toure. Toure stepped down from his role as head-coach of ASEC Mimosas in his native Cote D'Ivoire in the summer, having led the club to a domestic treble and the final of the CAF Champions League. With OGC Nice having strong ties to the country due to their affiliation with Racing Club de Abidjan, it would make sense for the club to have been made aware of Toure's impressive performance with Les Mimos. 

There has been no official comment as of yet, but a new manager is set to be in place for the weekend's match away at high-flying Montpellier. 

36D3C6CBE04C018524477B92355A7D57AC15E855 (1366×768)

Olympique Gymnaste Club Nice have appointed Kolo Toure as the new manager at Allianz Riviera. Toure replaces his former Arsenal team-mate Patrick Vieira who was dismissed following a poor start to the season. 

The former Ivory Coast international took on his first managerial role last season with ASEC Mimosas in his homeland. In a very successful maiden season, Toure guided Mimosas to three domestic trophies and the African Champions League final. His African exploits caught the attention of Nice President Jean-Marc Coste who flew to London earlier this week to finalise the deal. 

Toure's first match in charge of Le Gym will be away to 6th placed Montpellier this weekend in Ligue 1. 

Image result for Kolo Toure Press conference

The Official Presentation

Below are the highlighted questions from Kolo Toure's presentation as new manager of OGC Nice. Also present at the press conference was club President Jean-Marc Coste.

Q: Welcome to France, Kolo. Can you share with us your feelings having joined Nice?

Kolo: Thank you very much. I am delighted to be sitting here today. It is truly a great honour to be involved with such an ambitious club in one of the world's top leagues. I've always followed French football from a young age and I had hoped to play here before moving to England. To finally make this step feels very satisfying. I've kept a keen eye on how Patrick was doing in management and so I am familiar with the club's performance over the last couple of seasons. 

Q: Are there any awkward feelings having stepped in to replace your former team-mate who was dismissed a short-time ago?

Kolo: None. I have been involved in football long enough to know that such things happen. Patrick is a very good manager and a good friend. He did well in his time here and for whatever reason things didn't quite go according to plan this season. But he has left behind a strong team and I believe that the club are grateful for his contribution. I'll certainly speak with him at some point to ask his opinion on certain matters. 

Q: What can we expect to see from the team tactically under your guidance, Kolo?

Kolo: I'll speak to the players and staff here before deciding what to do in the short-term. I think it's important that we change something because things haven't been working of late. But I am wary of trying to implement something entirely new while the season is underway. Some continuity would be beneficial. Especially considering the way the team performed last season. All we need to do is find the errors and correct them.

Q: Jean, what was the reasoning behind the appointment of Kolo Toure?

Coste: The primary factor was his impressive campaign in Africa last season. That certainly caught our attention. But Kolo, like Patrick, has enjoyed a career at the very top of the sport. He has worked under some great coaches and built up an understanding of what top clubs do and how they are successful. His personality is well suited to leadership positions and we believe that he has the relevant qualities to lead our team. 

Q: Kolo, you're obviously here because certain expectations were not being met so far this season. What do you think has to change in order for the club to get back on track?

Kolo: That is hard to say without having an in-depth understanding of what has been happening behind the scenes. There are many reasons why a team can experience a drop in form. But we have to pull together and commit to improving. The results will come if we build a happy dressing room that are working hard and doing the basics well.

Montpellier Continue Fantastic Start With Victory Against Nice

4BA2BCEBE074AE717F4DB320A8F01AEA4B4FEA17 (1366×768)

Montpellier have continued their impressive start to the Ligue 1 season by beating a struggling Nice side 2-1. Teji Savanier struck twice from outside the area to hand his side all three points, despite Montpellier falling behind to an early Maxwel Cornet goal. 

It looked to be the perfect start for new Nice manager Kolo Toure when Cornet fired in the first goal of his new regime, but there was little else to shout about as Montpellier dominated the match and deservedly turned things around. Teji Savanier was given too much time and space at the edge of the box as he fired in two identical goals at either end of both halves. The winner game in the 85th minute, leaving Toure to contemplate defeat in his first match in charge. 

Speaking to France24, Toure insisted there was a lot of work ahead of his players in order to escape the trouble they find themselves in:

"Today I have seen the evidence of our struggles. We played like a team that expected to get beaten. No one wanted to take responsibility for the team and our opponent took advantage of our poor mental state. It will take time to repair the damage that has been caused by our poor start, but we must begin immediately. A lot of the basics have to be done much, much better and I expect the leaders of the team to step up and show their value to the group. We can't afford to shy away from this challenge."

The defeat sees Nice slip into the relegation places, while Montpellier keep up their push for European football. 

2857D645C540EB8DA7341B1F13F2EFA64F4139DE (1366×768)

image.png.383eedf445cfa54266f42b7094cfade5.png

Hoffenheim 2-0 OGC Nice

8B709CC5AB0D69D105169A5EC2BA6FC5184AB2FE (1366×768)

Hoffenheim put themselves in a strong position to progress from Group D by beating French strugglers Nice by two goals to nil. Julian Baumgartlinger fired a long range effort in just before half time to give Hoffenheim the lead. The Germans had to wait until late on to seal the victory, when Andrej Kramaric slotted home in the 85th minute. 

Nice offered little in the way of an attacking threat and will be glad the score wasn't greater in favour of their opponents.

106CCB0DD5F32D5099F7FA046752F29C9D31F2F1 (1366×768)

image.png.d8618efa0fed7e99b9bf2964d142e8f6.png

4CF56E7EA6952FBEA2C17C67E4B4D124DEFD2EB9 (1366×768)

Kolo Toure enjoyed his first win as OGC Nice manager with a 2-1 home win over fellow strugglers FC Nantes. New signing Benjamin Viennet scored a debut winner, while Kasper Dolberg netted for the first time in six games, despite mid-week reports of a bust-up between the Dane and his new manager. 

All the headlines surrounding Nice have been negative of late, so the win against Nantes will provide some mild relief for the south coast club. On Friday, reports emerged stating that Kasper Dolberg had been involved in an altercation with Toure over the signing of Benjamin Viennet. A few days prior to this, Malang Sarr told L'Equipe that he wanted out of Nice for a bigger club. It seems as though Toure has a storm to weather if he is to turn around his side's fortunes, but all he can do is try to win football matches and that is exactly what happened this evening against Nantes. 

Kasper Dolberg headed in the opening goal of the match on 8 minutes. Ten minutes later new signing Benjamin Viennet headed home the second. Viennet joined from Sochaux for £1m thanks to the transfer window still being open for French clubs to buy players from other French sides. The striker looks the part and it seems like good business from Kolo Toure who was desperate to get in another attacking player. 

52CDD92657EF72428A7B42C488644EBBD0515DCF (1366×768)

It looked as though the Nice defence would hold for the first time this season, but Robert Snodgrass hammered home a consolation goal late on for Nantes, who slip below Nice in the league after this defeat. 

Toure Reaction:

"It's a relief to get the first win. We did much better today in terms of doing the basics right. I was hoping to see more in terms of our attacking play, but we have a team low on confidence, so it will take time before we start to see them play with a bit more panache. I thought we looked quite solid, which is pleasing. We gave away a lazy goal at the end, but if we defend like we did for the first 85 minutes, then we should be able to get more points on the board."

4508ADD59863783B3F461A371BCDABC58176B613 (1366×768)

0FE75B03F6888758426439D7E4DD7B51F434F989 (1366×768)

OGC Nice have managed to win back to back games for the first time this season, overcoming RC Lens 3-1 in Ligue 1 this evening. 

Italian defender Andrea Ranocchia headed in the opening goal from a free-kick delivered by Claude-Maurice. It was the centre back's first goal for Nice. 

Lens equalised against the run of play when Maiga fired in a bullet from 25 yards out. The midfielder was given space to control the ball and shape himself for the shot before scoring. 

Shortly before half-time, Kasper Dolberg met Atal's cross with his head to score his second in as many games, giving Nice the lead once more. 

It was an impressive performance from the away side, by far their best this season, and it got even better when Wylan Cyprien pinged a fantastic through ball behind the Lens backline for Viennet to score his second goal for Nice having only been at the club nine days. 

The win puts some distance between Nice and the relegation places, with the club surely ready to start looking up the way. 

D8EBDA664FA9D280EBE6F63C2D5210C9AA4B681C (1366×768)

Julien Laurens: Toure Facing Mammoth OGC Nice Task

Image result for julien laurens

BT Sports' French football expert, Julien Laurens, has spoken of the "mammoth" task facing Kolo Toure at his new club OGC Nice. Laurens, who covers all things Ligue 1 for BT Sport as well as their European football coverage generally, was speaking ahead of this week's Europa League fixtures. 

"What do I think of Kolo Toure at Nice? I think it will be very tough for him to do well there. It's not that I think he is not good enough as a manager; Patrick Vieira certainly was. I just think the club is in such a difficult state at the moment that it might take a while before things get better. Looking at the squad, there's a lack of quality. There are also questions about the mentality of the players. One thing Patrick Vieira spoke about before he was fired was the lack of professionalism and work ethic from certain players. It is clear that there are problems in the camp and I don't think someone like Kolo Toure is best positioned to resolve it. On top of all this there are a lack of funds available to bring the team up to scratch. With key players looking to leave and an unhappy dressing room, I fear Toure will be faced with a mammoth task."

Laurens was referring to the problems that arose in Patrick Vieira's final weeks at the club. Malang Sarr and Kasper Dolberg were said to be unhappy and effectively downed tools, while several other players in the squad "lacked commitment" according to Vieira. 

Toure has managed to put together back-to-back wins recently, but there are still questions hovering over the future of several players and with no substantial transfer budget, there could be a difficult situation approaching when January comes. 

Nice will face Hoffenheim on Thursday as they look to salvage their Europa League campaign. Having lost 2-0 in Germany in the first fixture between the sides, there's little room for error as the French club look to fight their way back into contention for the knockout stages. 

Kolo Toure says he is happy with the response from his players since the defeat to Hoffenheim a fortnight ago, but he is aware that they will have to step it up a level if they are to get anything out of their game on Thursday evening: "We lost in Germany and the players were in a very dark place. We knew that it was going to require us to go into the depths of our character and pull ourselves together for the Nantes game on the Sunday. We managed to pick ourselves up and beat Nantes, and we followed it up with a good win away at Lens on Saturday. That is the response that we were looking for. Obviously Hoffenheim are a different proposition than our previous two opponents, but I'd like to think with the undoubted quality we have here that we can give them a game."

With two important matches to come against Guingamp and Bordeaux, it will be interesting to see where Toure's priorities lie. Some players look as though they could do with a rest, but defeat against Hoffenheim would place Nice in a difficult position in Group D. One thing is for sure, though, more wins will help the new manager get his team back where they ought to be: the top half of Ligue 1 fighting for European football next season. Whether Julien Lauren's words come to haunt Toure or not remains to be seen. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

3B3F185214AD3F4E081BED4ED3A37EAABB388593 (1366×768)

OGC Nice claimed the ultimate smash and grab victory against Hoffenheim in the Europa League Group D clash.

The Germans dominated the ball and carved out some half-decent opportunities, particularly in the first half. But Nice stood the pressure and managed to score twice on the break to claim an important three points. 

Goals from Wylan Cyprien and Danny Blum won it for the French side who have put together three consecutive wins across all competitions, as they look to turn their season around under new manager Kolo Toure. It was an impressive defensive display that will be sure to please the former Ivorian central defender. 

Toure reaction:

"Hoffenheim have such an aggressive approach, so they are always likely to have more of the ball. But it is what you do with the ball that counts. I said to the team 'you will be under pressure for large spells, the test is how well you can handle it'. They passed the test with flying colours. I am delighted for them. It hasn't been easy of late. We're just grinding by at the moment, but each win helps us get to where we want to be mentally."

Elsewhere, FC Porto smashed Steau Bucharest to go clear at the top of Group D. The Portuguese giants won 5-0 at the Estadio do Dragao. 

3A4B365AD206F506A7BF507404AD656084B42C20 (1366×768)

18 hours ago, john1 said:

Good move to Nice :thup: Mixed start with them, hopefully you can turn it around!

The squad is in a desperate state. I'm still trying to win the dressing room. But the green shoots of recovery are beginning to show. If we can get some more wins behind us the players will surely start to fall into line. January will be important. Not got much to spend, but maybe selling players will allow me to begin to reshape the team.

C50E806032D04844129893B3E60022B151300F7A (1366×768)

Bottom of the table Guingamp caused an early scare when they were given the lead through Samuel Grandsir's header, but a second half recovery from Kolo Toure's men gave Nice a fourth straight victory, with three of those wins coming in Ligue 1.

Alexis Claude-Maurice showed his importance to this Nice side with the first and fourth goals of the match, while Benjamin Viennet netted his third in three games and Alvaro Barreal scored for the first time since joining from Velez in the summer. The win moves Nice above St Etienne, managed by Toure's old team-mate Thierry Henry. 

Toure reaction:

"It was not a great first half display. It's difficult to play Thursday/Sunday games and keep the levels high. But the players have enough about them to persevere in tough circumstances and they managed to win thanks to their quality shining through. We can look forward to the international break now, knowing that we are heading in the right direction."

97939271D809F957C7D82F41050E4D97F6F858BE (1366×768)

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

DDF5CFEA8EF61AB9A73804917446F6ED734377CC (1366×768)

Nice's revival under Kolo Toure continued with a hard-fought victory against Girondins de Bordeaux in Ligue 1. It was a backs to the wall performance at times for Toure's men as they survived heavy pressure to escape with all three points. Goals from Viennet and Dolberg won the day for Nice, as they overturned an early deficit to clinch their fifth straight win in all competitions. 

Bordeaux's South Korean forward Hwang Ui-Jo gave them the lead in the 34th minute after he was left unmarked at the back post. But a second half revival from the away side turned the game around, starting with Benjamin Viennet's fine volley on 55 minutes. Substitute Kasper Dolberg seized on a loose ball and ran clear of the Bordeaux defence to win the game with 10 minutes to go. It was a fine smash and grab victory for Nice who look to be regaining some of the form that helped them clinch a place in the top 4 last season. 

Toure reaction:

"We had to be head-strong today. Just like against Hoffenheim, we needed to show that we can withstand pressure and that we even relish the opportunity to defend our goal. Bordeaux have some great wingbacks who provide excellent service to the front men, so we came under a bit of an aerial bombardment. But the players did magnificently to stand up to everything that was thrown at us. Going behind here isn't easy. We remained composed and in the second half the chances fell our way and we took them. You can see the confidence beginning to return slowly but surely. On another week, we'd have passed up the opportunities. But today, we didn't need many. We were clinical and solid in our defensive duties. We deserved to win for our efforts."

2680283BCF0AACD89EEFB6383EE0CBBA6327C560 (1366×768)

4706DF23E339DD8083DB3538029C1AFFC823602D (1366×768)

Nice remain in the driving seat for qualification to the first knockout round of the Europa League after a comfortable 2-0 in the Romanian capital Bucharest. Goals from Argentine winger Alvaro Barreal and Danish forward Kasper Dolberg helped the French side to three important points, but they'll have to beat FC Porto in their final game to qualify after Hoffenheim kept their hopes alive by beating the Portuguese side 1-0 in Porto. 

Toure reaction:

"It's a pity that other results didn't go our way tonight, but we did our job perfectly. Obviously it would have been nice to seal qualification today instead of having to win our final match, but the group is one that was always likely to go to the wire. We have the mentality and the quality to handle the pressure games and I am sure the players can deliver on matchday six to help us qualify."

ECB9612E38681BAE5158FEB32D91AF476F4EC098 (1366×768)

Image result for L'Equipe

Toure: Mission Impossible in Paris

Kolo Toure has insisted that his side face a virtually impossible task in Paris, as they look to dent the champion's eight game winning run in Ligue 1. Toure's Nice side face PSG on Sunday as they look to overcome the odds and build on an impressive run of form that has seen them come out of the relegation places and into mid-table. But the Ivorian is aware of just how big an effort is required to avoid a drubbing at the hands of Thomas Tuchel's side. 

"What can you say, it's one of the games that is considered a throwaway by most sides in the league. PSG on paper are far too strong for most clubs in France, and elsewhere if we're being honest. You need them to have an off-day. You also have to do everything perfectly. If these things come together you have a slim chance. We're talking about a side that spent £234 million in the summer. That's on top of a squad that has dominated the league for several years. We have to be realistic and acknowledge the scale of our task."

Toure is right to be fearful of PSG, who have managed to put together an impressive winning run of late. With Mbappe, Neymar and Paul Pogba all in scintillating form recently, the chances of Nice emerging victorious from the capital are slim. But the south coast club have managed to put six wins together across all competitions and have found a system that brings the best out of key players. Whether or not Toure's tactical plan will be enough to stop PSG remains to be seen, but regardless of what happens at the Parc de France on Sunday, the signs are looking positive for OGC Nice as they settle into life with Kolo Toure in the dugout. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

F33F67044217B1B979290058E4C242E7DDA9BAA0 (1366×768)

PSG continued their rich vein of form with a comfortable 4-1 home win over OGC Nice. The champions were simply too much for their opponents as Neymar and Paul Pogba stole the show. 

Thiago Silva nodded home PSG's first goal of the evening from a corner kick. Pablo Maffeo added a second on 28 minutes after finding himself in behind Malang Sarr on PSG's right hand side. Just before half-time, Maxwell Cornet stunned the home support by rifling home from 18 yards as Nice hit PSG on the break. But in the second half PSG made sure no Nice comeback was on the way with goals from Neymar and a late penalty from the terrific Paul Pogba. 

Toure reaction:

"Obviously it's never nice to lose, especially by three goals. But I said before the game that this wasn't something we were going to get hung up on. We simply cannot compete with a team like PSG on their day. They've shown up today and several of their key players have played remarkably well. You have to hold your hands up and accept the situation. We maybe could have defended the goals better, but I'm going to give the players a free pass today. We haven't trained since Thursday because of the travel between Bucharest, Nice and here, so it was always going to be hard for them. If one day we get the sort of investment that PSG have had, then maybe we can start to expect results coming to Paris. But until then, I think we have to just do what we can and compete against the sides that don't have billionaire owners."

3F7001997621BDBF3825D8E066E5263286577E2B (1366×768)

1 minute ago, john1 said:

Never easy against PSG :(  Surprised to see Marseille, sitting 11th :eek:

It's one of those games you are just wishing for the clock to run fast and for the between highlights screen to keep going. They were absolutely all over us. We managed to keep Mbappe quiet, but Neymar and Pogba stepped up. I was forced to rejig the defence because of the Thursday/Sunday fixtures, and on reflection I don't think there is any possible way I could have avoided defeat. 

Marseille are a textbook case of inconsistency: 5 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats. I hope their poor form keeps up because I am facing them and Lyon before the winter break. 

3A8596E2BD96099ABDDEF8607F725B78A915F956 (1366×768)

OGC Nice got back on track with a scrappy home win against Nimes Olympique. A great team move finished by Claude-Maurice gave Le Gym the lead mid-way through the first half. Nimes went down to ten men shortly after going behind and the sending off finished the game as a contest. 

With little to worry about defensively, Nice will have been disappointed not to add to the scoreline and help increase their negative goal difference. But in a hectic winter schedule, every point earned is welcome. 

Toure reaction:

"We're in the midst of a very congested period of games, so we have had to dig deep today. On the back of the defeat in Paris, all I could ask of the players was to get the three points. I am sure the time will come when we can enjoy our football again, but right now it is just about building up our points tally and trying to get to the winter break in as good a place as possible."

44C688EE5546BE287373AA27B4A000602D31C9F8 (1366×768)

F7850DEB38398038D9B18923CFC0E4D0BEAC8976 (1366×768)

The build up to AS Saint-Etienne v OGC Nice was dominated by the two men in the respective dugouts. Thierry Henry and Kolo Toure used to be team-mates at Arsenal FC in the hey day of Arsene Wenger's reign at the club. Both cite the Frenchman as a major influence. But this evening they were adversaries as both looked to help their struggling teams gain a vital three points. 

Image result for Kolo Toure Thierry Henry

Henry has come under severe criticism from some sectors of the French media for Saint-Etienne's results so far this season. The legendary front man has tried to implement a high-pressing offensive 4-2-3-1, but with the lack of an out and out goalscorer there's been little joy in making it work. With PSG, Lyon and Marseille to come in their next 5 league games, it will be tough for Henry to turn things around. It certainly didn't help his cause when Kolo Toure's Nice side rolled into town and taught them a footballing lesson. 

Goals from Jean Victor Makengo and Benjamin Viennet (x2) gave Nice a comfortable 3-0 win and moved them into the top half for the first time this season, albeit with Marseille still to play this weekend. 

Speaking after the game, Thierry Henry insisted he doesn't fear for his job and believes his side will come good eventually:

"What I know is that this team can do better. I know that we are playing within ourselves and that's something we have to correct. But the quality is in this team. I don't listen to the talk in the press and I make sure my players don't either. We know we are letting ourselves down with some of our performances, but I think we just need to have a bit of luck come our way and things will turn around. I don't fear for my future. We will get ourselves up the table because we are good enough."

Kolo Toure offered his former team-mate words of encouragement, but couldn't hide his delight as his team arguably put in their best display of his reign so far:

"I am delighted to come here, to this difficult venue and win so convincingly. I think we deserved the win and the scoreline reflected the game well. To see that level of performance amidst a hectic schedule is very pleasing. There have been some questions over the fitness of the team and we've hopefully shown that we have enough to persevere. 

Thierry deserves to be given the proper time to get things right at Saint-Etienne. I think it's difficult when you have a big reputation in the country, as Thierry does, and the media expect miracles from you. I won't say that his team are performing great at the moment, because he'd tell you they aren't. But he is trying to change the culture of the team and that takes time. If he is given more time and backed in January, I think we'll see a different team in the New Year. It's great to have Thierry involved in French football and I hope that he can continue to work with the club going forward."

The result moves Nice four points above Saint-Etienne, and into the top half. Marseille will have the chance to go above them, however, when they host struggling RC Lens tomorrow. Toure's side are facing a difficult end to 2020 with FC Porto to come midweek in a crucial Europa League game, before Olympique Lyonnais visit the south coast next Sunday. The final game of the year for Nice will be against their southern rivals Marseille at the Velodrome.

9CF8637C15F658C78414843007B8FF98E18B05C1 (1366×768)

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Just catching up on this. Loving the writing style mate 👍🏻 Takes time but worth it! Great reading and excellent work 

Thanks, man!

I plan on making things more detailed for France, but I just wanted to get into things in the new job first. Get a feel for it. 

Image result for four four two arsenal invincibles

Every season the history of football expands to include contemporary achievements. Every league winner, Champions League winner, Ballon D'or winner enters into footballing lore. The history books will show a written record of their achievements. But only some of history's victors become immortalised in the minds of all who witnessed them. In English Premier League lore, Arsenal FC can claim a place in the Pantheon of English football. The 2003/04 season produced one of the greatest sides to grace Premier League grounds up and down the country. With the likes of Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires in the team, Arsene Wenger was able to oversee footballing perfection in a season where no foe was able to stop them. In homage to this great Arsenal team, we take a look at those still involved in the sport in our latest edition of Where Are They Now?

Image result for arsenal invincibles team

In the invincible season of 03/04 Arsenal's preferred formation was 4-4-2, though it morphed into 4-2-3-1 when in possession. The combined genius of front pair Henry and Bergkamp made Arsenal a deadly offensive force, with the Dutchman often dropping off into space to provide quality service to the French assassin in front of him. On the flanks, Robert Pires and Fredrik Ljungberg pushed high and provided assists and goals to compliment the strikers. Patrick Vieira was the more advanced of the central midfield pair, with Gilberto Silva screening the defence. Fullbacks Lauren and Ashley Cole were able to support attacks when needed, with Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure providing a formidable partnership in defence. German giant Jens Lehmann was between the sticks in a side that oozed class.

Image result for arsenal invincibles team

8b6ea7f3a5ae83cbffc34853391eed3b.656x480x50.gif

Where Are They Now?

DFEAFDEA0C2A04B63AB86D2F1269F9EE5A5FADD5 (1366×768)

German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann's first job outside of playing football was with his former club Arsenal. His time as a coach with the Gunners didn't last very long, however, and he soon moved on to FC Augsburg in his native Germany as assistant manager. His stint in the Bundesliga was even shorter than in London, with Olympique Lyonnais convincing him to cross the border into France to work as a first team coach. How long the big German will last with Lyon is anyone's guess, but it is understood that he is keen on trying his hand in management one day. Watch this space. 

8D11F0CDA30AE1E2DAD1C7F30D549233986926A6 (1366×768)44CFAF79AEDA1B255E12BC8241F062B31BDD6EBD (1366×768)

Sol Campbell is in his third managerial role with his former club Portsmouth FC. Having struggled to make an impact at Macclesfield and Southend, the former England international defender is finding the going tough in the Championship with his Portsmouth side sitting second-bottom, three points from safety. At this rate, Campbell will struggle to come close to achieving the kind of success he enjoyed as a player in management. 

50E0BF6197157998134AA64D5A5F6665B70BFE27 (1366×768)14FAF2777FA5B977410EDBBB016568D94EA266F1 (1366×768)

Kolo Toure's first non-playing role was with Celtic FC as part of Brendan Rodgers' backroom team. The Ivorian enjoyed success in Scotland before following the Northern-Irishman to Leicester City. Toure didn't stick around at the Foxes, however, as he took on his first managerial role in his native Cote D'Ivoire with ASEC Mimosas. Toure's stint in Africa was highly successful with a domestic treble and an appearance in the CAF Champions League final crowning a terrific first season in the dugout. After a disagreement with the Mimosas board, Toure resigned in the summer before agreeing to replace former Arsenal teammate Patrick Vieira at OGC Nice in October. His arrival in the Cote d'Azur has seen a turn around in Nice's fortunes, with seven wins in his first nine games in charge of Le Gym. Toure's start to life in management has been promising. Will he be a future Arsenal manager? Time will tell...

DB075EE2A50929C7F2070F5DF1F3C78A2D88F1C7 (1366×768)F9F2E5AC1EAB8A787EF045365E98212E8075B60C (1366×768)

Ashley Cole ended his playing career in the English Championship with Derby County. The following year he took on his first non-playing role with Cardiff City's U-23 team. Cole's early progress with the young Blue Birds team has been highly promising. His side sit second in the Professional Development League South, chasing Crystal Palace for the title. The former left back prefers to play a 4-4-2. A hark back to 03/04? 

C07EF3377BE4BF7542BE820687DDFABFB5DB2197 (1366×768)

Patrick Vieira started life outside of football with Manchester City. Between 2013 and 2015, he was in charge of City's development side. When the City Group helped set-up MLS franchise NYCFC, Vieira was given the chance to head state-side to lead the team in their early years. An impressive start to life in the US saw Vieira courted by OGC Nice. The Frenchman returned to the South of France where he enjoyed two fruitful seasons, helping the team to qualify for the Champions League Playoff round in the 2019/20 campaign. Despite a promising start to life in Nice, Vieira was relieved of his duties in October this year with the team sitting in the relegation places in Ligue 1. He was replaced by former Arsenal teammate Kolo Toure. His dismissal shouldn't dampen his reputation too much, however. So expect to see Patrick back in football very soon. England or another role in France seems the most likely destination.

941BE13979528AA6D7F3D32650FFE950FB3F064D (1366×768)

Freddie Ljungberg has spent time in Germany with VFL Wolfsburg between roles with Arsenal. Originally a youth coach, then the manager of the U-23 squad, the Swede has stepped up to be Unai Emery's right hand man. It's unclear what Ljungberg's future plans are regarding a possible move into management, but for the time being he is providing highly useful insight into the culture at Arsenal for his boss Emery. 

155BBB5A8E29EDE62EC441094D7756BA41D552B5 (1366×768)14FAF2777FA5B977410EDBBB016568D94EA266F1 (1366×768)

Thierry Henry was a surprise appointment at Monaco back in 2018. The Frenchman was involved in media work prior to his move to the principality, and his lack of managerial experience showed in a short but disastrous spell with the club. Henry would spend a short time with Montreal Impact in the MLS before being lured back to France by one of the historic clubs, Saint-Etienne. While far from disastrous, Saint-Etienne's below par performances have put the former World Cup winning striker under pressure, with some sectors of the French media claiming he isn't management material. For a man who has spent his career silencing crowds and wowing pundits, it really is time he started doing the same as a manager. A dismissal from another top-flight job will be hard to come back from one would think. 

341B7CDA323DE5670F7DD7844A0C24223B1EFDD6 (1366×768)5ECBAA10393B82A5D16B13F2E505AACD7F92D556 (1366×768)

Henry's striking partner Dennis Bergkamp spent a long time helping his former club Ajax rediscover their identity. In an eight year spell as a coach in Amsterdam, Bergkamp, along with other legendary figures such as Marc Overmars and Frank De Boer, took Ajax back to the top of Dutch football and helped bring youth development to the fore once again. After leaving the Amsterdam Arena, the Dutch genius managed the U-23 side at Almere City for a short spell. He is now managing the B-team at Lille, where he is overseeing a remarkable run of twelve straight league wins. The football being played by LOSC 2 has everyone talking. The only question is when will Bergkamp decide to step up to first-team management. It has to happen.

D29251A4F99E3869F848A3D69ADB034AC808362B (1366×768)34F501E8C9C82F550C141435B2AC885D93D8D8C8 (1366×768)

Pascal Cygan may not have been an integral part of the Invincibles side, but he is one of the squad members to still be involved in the sport after retirement. The former defender is impressing with Cercle Brugge's U-21 side, having previously coached at Roselare and served as director of football with French fourth-tier side Wasquehal. He may not be one of the names that springs to mind when people talk about the Invincibles of 03/04, but Cygan's decent start to life with Cercle Brugge could see him earn a role with a decent sized club in the future. 

4A2D32EEA600C274F2AEFAC192E4FCCA28276DAC (1366×768)681CBE7674ACDEA328F73505105F86A3A7F97A68 (1366×768)

Gael Clichy is the only player featured in our Where Are They Now? Invincibles edition to be still playing football. The left wing-back is playing for English Championship side Sheffield Wednesday. At 35, and with The Owls languishing in 16th place, we're unlikely to see Clichy return to the Premier League. What lies beyond his playing career is currently unknown. If he decides to stay involved in the sport, he'll be in good company, as many of his former Arsenal teammates are making positive starts to life away from the football pitch. 

That's it from our Where Are They Now? Arsenal Invincibles edition. We've seen the where the likes of Henry and Bergkamp have ended up, and we've been impressed by the steady progress of Pascal Cygan and unimpressed by Sol Campbell. Clearly a playing career does not translate easily into management. But one question we'd like to consider is who is most likely to return to Arsenal as manager one day? We've pondered this question throughout the writing process and our answer is Patrick Vieira. With a decent resume to date and top-flight experience in France, Vieira will surely be considered the next time Arsenal are on the lookout for a new manager. It's likely the big Frenchman will get the nod of approval from Arsene Wenger, and it is always going to be spoken about until it actually happens. If only Roy Keane could resurrect his managerial career, we'd have an exciting Keane v Vieira battle to enjoy in English football once again. It has to happen, just for the nostalgia. 

B6B7203C9570A7FDF8AB4745E20C32DE62D5DBF2 (1366×768)

Nice headed into their final Group D clash against FC Porto knowing only a win would ensure safe passage to the knockout rounds of the UEFA Europa League. Having overcome Hoffenheim and Steau Bucharest in their last two games on the continent, the French side had fate in their own hands. Unfortunately, they were to hand Hoffenheim the chance to qualify at their expense, and the Germans duly obliged with a comfortable win against Steau Bucharest. 

FC Porto taught the French side a footballing lesson on the Riviera, with an exceptional team performance. Romario Baro, Ze Luis and Renzo Saravia scored the goals as the Portuguese side breezed through at the top of Group D. 

Toure reaction:

"I wasn't anticipating such a poor display from us tonight. It's clear that Porto have come here full of confidence and they looked the much better side. They handled the occasion far better than we did and you could see the difference. I think it's a lesson for us tonight: you can't show up to these games with anything less than one hundred percent. If you do, these sides will make a fool of you. I have no complaints about the result. I just hope we are better when Sunday comes around, because Lyon can do this to you as well."

2FD4769640672C1CD09A0D2B68E7F25E935E3952 (1366×768)

3AE2744410C8F287943725E8B3568F1BB91F5F10 (1366×768)

A superb free-kick from Benjamin Viennet gave OGC Nice the three points against Olympique Lyonnais in Ligue 1 this evening. The striker has proven to be a remarkable piece of business from Le Gym having arrived for a mere £1m from Sochaux in October, marking Toure's first foray into the transfer market. 

Lyon have struggled for goals since star striker Moussa Dembele got injured last month, and their form has taken a dip in recent weeks. Nice, on the other hand, have seen a revival under Kolo Toure, as they continue to climb the table in a bid to fight their way back into contention for European football. 

Kolo Toure reaction:

"I am happy to see the players respond to Thursday's disappointment. What happened on Thursday is done, and we could only pick ourselves up and react to it. We've done that with an important win today. In some ways, not having Thursday matches will help us. The players have struggled to cope with the tightly packed schedule recently, so a bit of space between today and Marseille next week is welcome."

Ahead of next-week's showdown at the Velodrome, Nice and Marseille have went level on points and on goal difference. Strasbourg join them on the same points and goals in ninth place, as the race for European football begins to hot up. The match between Marseille and Nice next weekend will mark the halfway point of the season.

9337AA23048C0CAD34A40C9FB9C6382CE6D8A33A (1366×768)

Image result for l'equipe

France's Mediterranean Clubs Prepare To Battle For Europe

9337AA23048C0CAD34A40C9FB9C6382CE6D8A33A (1366×768)

All in, there are six European places available through Ligue 1 this season. The top two will qualify for the UEFA Champions League group stage, while the third-placed team will try to join them via the play-off round. Teams that finish in positions four and five will enter the Europa League at the group stage, depending on the French Cup winners. The team that finishes in sixth place will enter into UEFA's new competition EURO Cup II. So there's a lot of play for as we approach the second half of the season, even if PSG look likely to run away with the title once more. 

Four teams who will be desperate to secure a place in Europe next season belong to France's Mediterranean coastline: Monaco, Nice, Marseille and Montpellier. Only six points separate Monaco in the last of the European places in sixth and Marseille in eleventh. With Nice and Montpellier pushing for Europe too, the battle of the Mediterranean looks set to commence in the second half of the Ligue 1 season. 

Currently leading the Southern pack are Monaco. The principality club undoubtedly have the most talented squad at their disposal, but Leonardo Jardim has been unable to find consistency this term, with the Portuguese manager coming under criticism from the Monaco press.

261D310474BF4A689767B19312F09DDA4998263F (1366×768)

Key to Monaco's hopes are the midfield trio of Oscar, David Silva and Golovin. It's an experienced midfield with plenty of creativity, and it is supported by marauding wing-backs Jorge and Gelson Martins. With all three of the midfielders suspended for the weekend's game against Metz, it will be interesting to see how Monaco cope against the relegation battling side.

Sitting just behind Monaco in the league are Montpellier. Michel Der Zakarian's side have punched above their weight this season and look a good outside bet for the EURO Cup II position. 

2498B0390305BFDB21F1E17CC86FEEB29D1D5D15 (1366×768)

Lining up in the same shape as Monaco, the Armenian head coach has been able to get the best out of his limited squad thanks to the form of Laborde and Mollet. With a huge game against surprise package Troyes at the weekend, Montpellier's European credentials will be put to the test.

OGC Nice were sitting in the relegation places until new manager Kolo Toure arrived. Now they are creeping up on the chasing pack for European football after a terrific run since October. Victory against Lyon last weekend helped move them into the top half and they will be desperate to overcome rivals Marseille in the big clash of the weekend at the Velodrome. 

509093B5DBAAF7788E62CFB831BFAEA1C4771E5E (1366×768)

Kolo Toure has earned a reputation for playing 4-4-2 so far in his career, and it seems to be paying off in France. With his defence set to be torn apart in the transfer window, it will be a huge January for Nice who won't want to see their recent progress derailed. Coly at leftback has already agreed a move to Sassuolo, while Malang Sarr is looking to leave the club. With Dante retiring at the end of the season, a defensive rebuild will be needed with limited funds. Over to you Kolo.

Marseille have sank well below expectations this season, and their manager Andre Villas Boas will know that those who underachieve at Marseille don't last long. A recent upsurge in their form has put them back in contention for European football, but they can't afford too many slip-ups from here in. The game against Nice at the weekend could be a big one in the Portuguese manager's Marseille career. 

34E56210EAD65E962BDD718A40D7D4099C0F1C0B (1366×768)

Villas Boas has always liked to play a 4-1-4-1, with inside forwards and marauding wing-backs. At Marseille it is no different. Florian Thauvin and Maxime Lopez are the key men for the French giants, while start striker Dario Benedetto faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines. It's a young team with a lot of raw talent, but it will have to start producing more consistently if Villas Boas is to have a future at the club. 

319AF00166F3C414EE5C2D8BCF7C5DCFDD7E158C (1366×768)

OGC Nice managed to withstand heavy pressure from Marseille to emerge victorious at the Orange-Velodrome. Despite OM's best efforts, the Nice backline stood strong and persevered under intense scrutiny. With Toure's side looking to play on the break, Marseille simply weren't clever enough as they were caught out on two occasions, allowing Wylan Cyprien and Benjamin Viennet to score for the away side. Despite having several opportunities, it was Nice who came closest to adding to the scoreline as Viennet passed up two glorious chances at 2-0 to put the game out of sight. A late consolation from Kostas Mitroglu wasn't enough to save face for OM, as they succumbed to another disappointing result at home. 

We learned after the full time whistle that Andre Villas Boas was relieved of his duties. More reaction will follow once we know the details. 

Toure reaction:

"It's another huge win for us against a very good side. We knew that Marseille would throw everything at us and put us under pressure, but you have to ride the storm and be willing to suffer for such victories. We could have won it 3 or 4 nil, but we were wasteful. At 2-0, Marseille are always looking for that next goal and thankfully it came too late for them. We come here again in a fortnight in the French Cup, and I expect a similarly difficult match, but we've shown what we're made of tonight. We look forward to the next meeting."

This is how the Ligue 1 table stands at the halfway point of the season. There will be a short winter break before the league matches resume.

D98E02B29BB4F8306742BE1C245815851041873C (1366×768)

Olympique Gymnaste Club Nice

image.png.af6618008e3422b0e2f1ba391d77444f.png

Now that I have reached the winter break and the hectic schedule has subsided for the time being, I thought it would be a good idea to set the scene at Toure's current club OGC Nice. I'll introduce you to the first-team and some of the brightest prospects. Then we'll have a look at the finances and the facilities. Finally, I'll say a bit about what Toure is thinking regarding squad building.

The Players

Goalkeepers:

6C8E2685FA2F9D4B62062D8F2C4DE7AB7C3DBBFA (1366×768)BB9FF5FB527DB7E3D5804E5AF2B5A7B323618B89 (1366×768)

The Defence:

ECB0C6470BD846025E5444925F5F1D35066848C3 (1366×768)66F3068DE3E138C6886912B54A2CEE58AB1DCE1C (1366×768)D9CB56A911329761297E30E6B4C166864F29F1F7 (1366×768)6C4DEC8FB7C6D8C3174D1EA7C336E9364ED0B0BE (1366×768)85F62AC30CC17C38D1C8480A1B31EE254A179B05 (1366×768)53EF10887C6DCC8FE5CD3B1CDB00A7282E8526A4 (1366×768)54EF55A91CD373729D5ECEC73B5B22CF4B7A8B7D (1366×768)B659505A6AC75A78F137BBE873B5688D1AAC842D (1366×768)

The Midfield:

6CDDCFE8187724C611519FEDD56473DA659C1215 (1366×768)F79BF8023351E78637870162CCE21215E8885F5A (1366×768)41DBC242424010FC1E063D1F562E4832E4556460 (1366×768)533FA15F4D952F5E299D2E008685F60C17426B27 (1366×768)84FB2E62EBE6CFF260D8DC39DF8EBEB330032685 (1366×768)13FC7DE4BAD6092861D01B070851C8297F6785C1 (1366×768)CEFE4AB031F669FD9BCA6FA094A3BC2C4B12EDBC (1366×768)D474909B29E65C7A33DC91CCF0B4CC76D35AE07E (1366×768)43583FAAA03567611DD831DA816905BF3FEB5F5C (1366×768)3B3509C6D832EE184C28878A22E30036519D3538 (1366×768)5F062291A832B13171E590AA2F27F76A56F40125 (1366×768)

The Attack:

508BD4C8EA87E2997C97347653C33A389219FFBE (1366×768)C85C79000B816054E59427ACDFD5D0D20F9C18DA (1366×768)B47CC3F18A2BB49B3B09F33D6634D24840701140 (1366×768)

The Hot Prospects:

ABA288AE6CD034437DEF3EEEE852689BF1537115 (1366×768)29EDC9C7CB10008C2113D38D531C27ACC3B1BBF2 (1366×768)C692BD586253D7DE1C673A8DD1DBC9F20201CCBE (1366×768)7E86756C0676351CFD7BF65EB3CB81184EE4052C (1366×768)B556D5B00351095A5FBBA32DE155E1D830E06F13 (1366×768)EAA8161F101DB4516FB8E6808BE1D9BF1B0BF3E5 (1366×768)85FFB2464425B7A839DEB3F43FE483BEF736EDB2 (1366×768)

The Facilities:

Image result for ogc nice stadium

D53D0B36694A21240003B14C02F1FFD826961EC1 (1366×768)

Finances:

234252AC8B8C65E92C97EC064CD9760EECB597CC (1366×768)

The plan is to try and get the finances back on the upward curve. When I arrived we were already well over the wage budget. Our squad is bloated with central midfield players and wingers who can't get in the team. My plan is to shift as many of them as possible over the next two transfer windows and rebuild the backline. The midfield players that I definitely want to keep are Wylan Cyprien, Makengo, Claude-Maurice, Barreal and Lees-Melou. 

Malang Sarr has expressed his desire to leave in January. With Lyon and Napoli hovering, we are likely to lose our best defender. Our (only) left back has agreed a pre-contract with Sassuolo, so we are desperately trying to get someone in to replace him before the Marseille game on the 2nd of January. Dante is retiring at the end of the season. So we will be well short in defence when the summer comes around. 

The prospects in the youth team are very exciting. To let any of these guys go to waste would be a crime. I plan on trying to develop them and phase them into the squad, should I be around when they come of age. We have some feeder clubs that will help with this, as well as a B-team that plays in the fourth tier of French football. It's an exciting U-19 team, that's for sure. 

9 minutes ago, john1 said:

Gutted you went out in Europa League :( Superb win over Marseille :cool: Hopefully you can sell deadwood players to shore up the finances into good shape :thup: 

It was men against boys in the Porto game. I'm actually happy that there will be no more Thursday/Sunday games. For some reason my players can't handle it physically. I am having to give rests to several at a time. Vieira did not work them hard enough in the summer I reckon. That'll change once Kolo has a preseason with them.

The Marseille game was backs to the wall at times. But I trust the system to withstand pressure. It could have been 3 or 4 nil to be honest. We missed a couple of sitters at 2-0. 

We need to clear the squad of deadwood. I have 5 or 6 players on decent money who haven't got near the team. It's unsustainable. Maybe at PSG you can get away with it. But we're suffering. I will be looking to the loan market to see me through until the summer. 

Image result for france football magazine

Kolo Toure only joined OGC Nice in October, replacing his former captain at Arsenal FC, Patrick Vieira. But the Ivorian has been very vocal about his plans to shake things up at the Allianz Riviera. Nice have been in much better form since Toure took the reins, winning eight out of ten Ligue 1 fixtures. But off the field there have been rumours about dressing room discontent. Home-grown star of the side, Malang Sarr, has reportedly told Toure that he wants a move away from Le Gym in the January window. Such a departure would leave a gaping hole in the heart of the Nice defence. To add to the concern, veteran defender Dante is planning to retire upon season's end and left back Racine Coly has already agreed a move to Sassuolo. A defensive restructuring is risky during the middle of a campaign, and it is no doubt something Toure would rather avoid. Nice-based journalist Henry Lavelle spoke to France Football about the issues facing the new Nice manager in the second half of the season, and the possible signings Toure could make in a bid to turn around Le Gym's season. 

What have the local press had to say about Kolo Toure so far?

There was a great deal of scepticism when he arrived at the club. The feeling was very much that Nice needed experience in the dugout. Someone who understood French football and could immediately improve results. Obviously with the restrictions here in France the club could not approach a manager from another French club until the transfer window. So it would have to be someone without a club or from outside France. No one thought of Toure. When he was announced as the new coach I think a lot of the local journalists sighed deeply and prepared themselves for a rough season. But he has come in and done a very decent job so far. I think he has slowly turned a few of us. The wins against Lyon and Marseille were unthinkable a couple of months ago. So there's a cautious optimism in the city now. We don't expect miracles in the next half of the season, but Europe is not out of the question. 

Patrick Vieira and Toure used to play together under Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. Have you noticed any similarities in their approach?

None. I would say they are very different coaches. Vieira was all about trying to implement a possession game with a team of midfielders. Toure likes to play with two strikers and isn't focused on keeping the ball. I'd say there's a bit of Diego Simeone in Toure's approach. 

There have been reports about dressing room unrest at Nice. Is this a spillover from Vieira's reign or has Toure ruffled a few feathers himself?

It's hard to know for sure what goes on in a football dressing room. As a journalist you only hear what they want you to hear. That is, there may be rebel factions in the dressing room who leak things. Or maybe the higher ups leak things in order to force some kind of change. What the reality is, only those on the inside know. But the rumours were certainly started during the previous manager's time. Vieira, as you know, is capable of confrontation. He doesn't really tolerate questioning of his authority. To have the sort of command over a dressing room that a good manager needs, you can't show weakness in the face of adversity. I think Toure will have come into the club knowing about the problems, assuming there are any, and he'd make it clear to everyone that he isn't going to stand for it. I think the transfer window will tell us a lot about this. There are players who haven't featured under Toure. Maybe he just doesn't think they fit the system. Or maybe they have fallen on the wrong side of him. Who knows?

The January transfer window is always a crucial point in the European football season. What can we expect from Nice in the window?

This will be an active window from Nice, there's no doubting it. They stand to lose some players they'd rather keep. But I think Toure is also looking to offload a few of the midfielders who can't get into the team. The club has maxed out their salary budget and they can't really do too much until they take some of the weight off of it. If they can get some players out, then they will have to look at players to help out the backline. January is a much harder time to do business. No one wants to part with good players halfway through a season. If Malang Sarr goes for a decent price, I'd expect to see immediate reinvestment. 

Marca are reporting interest in Barcelona defenders Marc Cucurella and Jorge Cuenca, the latter being a loan target. Have you any insight into this?

It would make sense. But there's nothing coming out of the club to confirm it. I think loans will be the most probable form of business. The club doesn't have too much to spend right now and that might force them to go to the loan market instead. 

Finally, Henry, how do you see the second half of the season panning out for Nice?

Hopefully the progress remains steady and they push for Europe. Everything depends on the transfer activity, but if they somehow managed to keep Malang and brought in another left-back, that would be a very good window and I reckon they could finish in the top six with the squad they have. 

Image result for marc cucurella

OGC Nice have confirmed the signing of Marc Cucurella from FC Barcelona for a fee of £3.5m. The 22 year-old left fullback will join up with his new teammates upon the opening of the French transfer window on January 1st. 

Speaking ahead of the move the former Spain U-21 international declared himself delighted to be joining Le Gym: "It's a very proud day for me and my family. I am delighted to be joining an ambitious club in the French league. I have spoken to the manager and been shown around the facilities here, and I am very excited about joining this project. I've been part of FC Barcelona for most of my life and spent a couple of seasons out on loan. But the time is right for me to look for new opportunities and to be part of something different."

OGC Nice manager Kolo Toure was equally pleased to get the deal done in good time as his side prepare to take on Olympique Marseille in the Coupe de France this weekend: "We needed a quality left-sided defender and we have got one. It's very pleasing to see the club conduct business swiftly and to be proactive in the transfer window. January is a hard time to do business and finding a player like Marc is extremely pleasing. I am sure he will be able to fit in seamlessly to our squad and contribute right away."

Image result for coupe de france

357E1DF9F3D1A63DDAF9EEF36EAF354616ED182C (1366×768)

Olympique de Marseille gained revenge over Southern rivals OGC Nice in the French Cup with a 4-2 victory. 

New Marseille boss Paulo Sousa inspired his players to victory having only arrived at the club a fortnight ago. Florian Thauvin and Maxime Lopez looked rejuvenated and were instrumental in OM's win. 

Toure reaction:

"Our offensive play was actually better today than in our win here two weeks ago. But defensively we were so poor. Marseille didn't have to work for their goals, they were gifted to them. That's the difference between our win and our defeat here in Marseille. Defensive mistakes. It can happen, so I won't be too hard on the players. But we can't afford to let it be something that regularly occurs."

74E87123E2692072204BDEAB7478D2247BDCFAA8 (1366×768)

Kolo Toure told the press after the draw against Strasbourg that his side were "not good enough for Europe". Toure's comments came after Victor Moses scored an injury time equaliser to deny Nice a fifth straight Ligue 1 victory. 

Kamil Grosicki scored on his return to the Nice first-team, but it wasn't enough to seal all three points on a day where Le Gym lost ground on the teams above them in the race for Europe. 

Toure reaction:

"We're not good enough to make Europe. That is clear to me now. Today we had to show mental strength. But we threw it away. All we can do now is see who deserves to be here next season. Everyone is playing for their future at this club. I came here to raise the standards at the club and it seems I may have to do that by replacing the personnel."

E7D8A0A6BDAC963B7E9A7F259AA6EEAFAF6B6475 (1366×768)

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

Is it bad forum etiquette to be happy for AI Porto? :onmehead:

Europe's a little far but not unreachable for next year if you get a good run of form going.

The players are making my job impossible. Every week another problem arises. Someone isn't happy with something. Because of Vieira, the wage budget is 26k over and with no money in the transfer budget, I can't adjust things. When players come and demand a new contract, I can't give them it, so it causes unhappiness. Most of the squad are unhappy about something. We won't be getting near Europe with this sort of dressing room. 

My only hope is I don't get sacked. We've gotten some decent results so far, but I am only a couple of defeats from disaster.