The Toure de France!

Tikka Mezzala

3 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

I'm enjoying the save especially the detail. As an African it's always nice to see someone doing a save in Africa. I'm not South African but I do get the South African league on my cable, so I know a fair bit about Sundowns and Orlando pirates. So I'll be following their progress in the champions league.

Great stuff man.

Just curious, did you load many African leagues. It looks like you have a lot of detail on other African teams in other leagues.

Thanks very much. I'm absolutely loving managing in Africa. There's a lot of history I'm discovering that makes for a great story. I also really like being at the source of a lot of great young players. I'd like to see if I could snap up the next Sadio Mane or Mo Salah before they reach European shores. 

The Leagues I have currently loaded are: Ivory Coast, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Ghana, Cameroon, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Mali, Guinea, Nigeria, DR Congo and Senegal. All the leagues apart from the Ivory Coast are top division only. 

I'll be phasing out the North African leagues and replacing them with European ones soon, because I see that being a natural progression for Toure. Maybe France or England would be a realistic next step if all goes well in Africa. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Thanks very much. I'm absolutely loving managing in Africa. There's a lot of history I'm discovering that makes for a great story. I also really like being at the source of a lot of great young players. I'd like to see if I could snap up the next Sadio Mane or Mo Salah before they reach European shores. 

The Leagues I have currently loaded are: Ivory Coast, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Ghana, Cameroon, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Mali, Guinea, Nigeria, DR Congo and Senegal. All the leagues apart from the Ivory Coast are top division only. 

I'll be phasing out the North African leagues and replacing them with European ones soon, because I see that being a natural progression for Toure. Maybe France or England would be a realistic next step if all goes well in Africa. 

Have you read Feet of the Chameleon yet?  You'd love it.

Image result for club africainRelated image

Match-Day 3 Preview: Club Africain v ASEC Mimosas

Image result for rades tunisia

Welcome to Rades, a port-city in the Northern tip of Tunisia. Home of Club Africain, one of the country's most decorated football clubs. 

Not far from the sea, the 66,000 capacity National Stadium lies empty. A serene silence encapsulates it. 24 hours from now the seats will be filled and the noise will be deafening as Club Africain go in search of three important points against surprise Group C leaders, ASEC Mimosas. 

Image result for rades stadium

The Tunisian club are managed by Frenchman, Bertrand Marchand; a veteran of North African football. Marchand is in his second spell with Club Africain, having managed the Tunisian National Team, ES Sahel, and Moroccan giants Raja Casablanca before returning to Rades. A shrewd tactician, the Frenchman has always made his teams hard to beat and this season is no exception. Club Africain currently sit 2nd in the Tunisian Ligue Professional 1, having only shipped 7 goals in 12 games. Marchand's side have already put struggling Wydad Casablanca to the sword on match-day one, winning comfortably 3-0, so Toure's side will be well aware of what lies in store for them when they take to the field on Saturday evening. 

ASEC Mimosas head into the game with confidence having won both games in the group stage so far. On match-day one they seen off Congolese champions TP Mazembe, and a week later they came away with a famous win in Morocco to inflict further misery on Wydad Casablanca. These impressive results have left Bertrand Marchand wary of ASEC: 

"We do our homework, so we know what ASEC are all about. You can see from their results so far that they will be stern opposition. We have been in good form ourselves, but we'll have to find something extra to get past a solid team like ASEC. They don't concede many goals and they are good on the break. It will be tough, but we have enough confidence in ourselves."

With a full week of preparation behind them, Toure believes his side can pull off another upset. But he insists there must be no overreaction if the result goes against his team:

"I think we are always going to stand a chance. We don't fear anyone. But we have to lose at some point, and if it is to be tomorrow, then we have to dust ourselves down and go again. This is a high quality team we are facing and unlike Wydad, they are in a good place right now. We'll give it everything we've got, of course, and who knows what will happen on the night?"

Any sort of result would be remarkable for ASEC, and it would place them in an ideal position going into the second half of the group stages, with 2 of their last 3 games at home and both North African trips out of the way.

"We have three away games in a row. That is unusual in this competition. But if we can get something from each of them, we will stand a real chance of qualification. We've already gone to Morocco and won. Tomorrow and the trip to Congo will be really difficult, but the motivation is clear: get something and we have home games to try and seal qualification. 

Image result for african champions league

Club Africain Leave It Late To Fend Off Brave ASEC Mimosas

Kolo Toure suffered his first ever defeat in football management in the final game of 2019, as Tunisian giants Club Africain scored in injury time to steal all three points in their Champions League encounter. 

The Tunisian side dominated for large spells of the match and Saber Khalifa was guilty of passing up opportunity after opportunity. Mimosas goalkeeper, Dante, was producing heroics to keep his side in the match, but despite going in level at half-time, the resistance couldn't keep into the second half. 

Oussama Daragi opened the scoring on 54 minutes, with a well times finish at the back post. It was more than Club Africain deserved.

Mimosas changed formation midway through the half, as Toure looked to get his team further up the pitch and on the ball. The fullbacks made way for an extra midfield man, in a 3-5-2 formation, and on 80 minutes the tactical switch looked to have stolen an unlikely point. Ibrahima Gramboute played a long ball over the top of the Club Africain backline for Salif Bagate to run on to. The striker made no mistake as he poked the ball beyond Yassine El Houasli. It was a sucker punch that sent the few hundred Mimosas supporters into raptures. 

But their joy was to turn to despair in the dying embers of the match as Saber Khalifa volleyed home an excellent winner from the edge of the penalty area. The Tunisian veteran made up for many missed opportunities when it mattered most, leaving Dante in the Mimosas goal helpless. Toure's players were left strewn out across the turf at the end of the match, having given their all. But in the end, quality told as the Tunisian side merited the three points. 

Speaking to CAF's official website, Toure reflected on the game:

"We knew it would be very tough coming here. It was a game of intense suffering. We are not used to playing with our backs to the wall, but we did so with a great deal of pride in our work. The players stood up to the test and had it not been for two fine goals from the opponent, we'd have emerged with something from the match. I can't fault the players who really went above and beyond for me tonight. It's our first defeat all season, which tells you how consistent we have been. We have to simply dust ourselves down and move on."

093B128AA0E044DDDB2788ABAF2FD31E1FDC64A6 (1366×768)

The result moves Club Africain a point clear at the top of Group C. Elsewhere Wydad Casablanca got their season back on track with a 2-1 home win against TP Mazembe. The Congolese side host ASEC Mimosas in their Champions League tie and will have to win to stand any chance of adding to their 5 titles.

4F1DC9B85F664E14497919FFAFF1055FAD9B6A1C (1366×768)

Mamelodi Sundowns have won their third consecutive game in the competition, beating San Pedro 1-0 in the Cote D'Ivoire. In the other Group D game, Orlando Pirates leap frogged Raja Casablanca, despite being managerless. 

Zamalek got over their shock defeat against Coton Sport in round 2 by seeing off Algerian side ES Setif in Cairo. And in Group A, Salitas FC couldn't build on their hard earned point in the last round of fixtures as ES Sahel won in Ouagadougou. 

ABE58CA2DCB8FB03380743F7F3265EC0D034C585 (1366×768)

7B596521A5DF51DFE81B5830287977008E698AC1 (1366×768)

Some interesting, though probably inconsequential news. When I looked at my player search a new name appeared on the 'interested in transfer' and 'interested in loan' search: Yaya Toure. It would be incredible to have him end his career in the country and to play under Kolo. But the finances wouldn't be feasible at all. We have to cut our cloth very finely in this league, and we're making some small gains each month. So I can't see the deal being worked out. 

Never say never though...

Image result for african transfer window

It's that time of year again. Speculation has already gathered speed as the top clubs in Western Africa look to get their cheque books out and add that bit of quality that ensures they are celebrating come May. 

In Cote D'Ivoire, there is a fascinating season unfolding as clubs at both ends of the table fight for very different goals. Those near the bottom will be desperately hoping to avoid dropping down to Ligue 2, while those at the top fight it out to become national champions. 

At the moment, the latter race is being won by ASEC Mimosas. Unbeaten so far domestically, there seems to be little need for reinforcements in January. But manager Kolo Toure is expecting to trim the wage bill slightly, perhaps hinting at the decks being cleared for a new arrival. Speaking to the Abidjan Times ahead of the weekend's game against AS Tanda, Toure addressed the transfer window rumours:

"If you asked me to forgo this transfer period, I would. I don't think we're in any great need to spend. There are one or two players who might be leaving the club, either on loan or permanently, but other than that we've not been looking upon this window as crucial to our season."

3491224DD908A20593FFE0B1707B37606BD15D04 (1366×768)

C61A561A36D777D879908C033F38BE9983AB0EC8 (1366×768)

964E3B388732B62F2D0CFB4535F6438B3A9157A3 (1366×768)

Three players who have been linked with moves out of the Ivory Coast are Abdoul Tapsoba, Adama Barro and Richmond Opoku. Tapsoba is on the radar of several Egyptian clubs and with a new striker coming in to Mimosas in the form of Abou Diomande, the young Burkinabe forward could be about to leave West Africa. His compatriot, Adama Barro is also wanted by North African clubs, especially from Algeria. The winger has been in good form when asked to step in, but find himself behind N'Guessan and Agbegniandan in the pecking order. The Ghanaian defender Opoku will either leave this window or when his contract expires in the summer. With several promising centre backs waiting in the wings, Toure is keen to get them involved as soon as possible. That means Opoku being frozen out. A return to Ghana seems the most likely scenario. 

Despite Toure's insistence that his team are not hurrying to buy anyone, speculation has still surrounded the club. Here are four players that the Ivorian legend is said to be keen on:

91CADF6B49DC42F1F9D7B817FDC2EB2BA79762C5 (1366×768)

Marc Bamba has been the creative presence in Stella Club's midfield, providing plenty of support for new ASEC signing Diomande. Could the two reunite in the Ivorian capital?

6A7C5C004F2B252BCD08472653A95109D8F298CF (1366×768)

One of Toure's objectives at ASEC is to make them the dominant force in West Africa. That means finding the best talent across the border and bringing them to the Ivory Coast. Issiaka Samake is arguably the best defender in the Malian Ligue 1. With Mimosas on the look out for a right-back and with the defenders contract up in the summer, don't be surprised to see this deal happen within the next 6 months. 

7E819F3C62E8AB8ED8E79060F4E4D78438E2B2C3 (1366×768)

Jean N'Guessan is one of the hottest prospects in Ivorian football. Having made his debut at just 16, the young midfielder would fit the profile of ASEC Mimosas usual transfer targets. Toure is said to be sweet on the young man, so there's definitely legs in this story. 

8CC3CD4E090D5CEF53E21E07E5D4AC62792041CD (1366×768)

Another player who is out of contract in the summer is Inza Diabate. Arguably one of the best midfielders in Ligue 1, the 9 times capped Ivorian will be looking for a step up next season. Whether that is internally to another club in Ligue 1, or further afield remains to be seen. 

Elsewhere, Al-Masry of Egypt are said to be closing in on AFAD Djekanou winger Stephane Aziz. With a fee of £140k being suggested, AFAD would presumably be looking to reinvest the money to try and help them fend off relegation. 

554D6DFA1F0FC6EBC293AB7FAD789994486645C9 (1366×768)

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

Abou Diomande Officially Joins ASEC Mimosas

D9101E5FB3FB99B32D322AF10FE5747651139F6B (1366×768)

In a deal that was completed back in November, Abou Diomande officially joined up with his new team-mates this morning as the 26 year-old looks to pick up where he left off at Stella Club. Having bagged 17 goals in 21 games for the Ligue 2 outfit, Kolo Toure opted to spend the £6k figure required to prize him away from his club. 

Diomande scored against ASEC in the cup back in November in an impressive display against his future employers. He is currently nursing an injury sustained in his last match with Stella Club, so he won't be available for this weekend's tie against AS Tanda. 

Image result for ivorian ligue 1

ASEC Mimosas 1-1 AS Tanda

ASEC Mimosas started the new year in poor form with a lifeless draw against AS Tanda. 

Les Mimos seemed a little jaded after their travels, and it was an opportunistic display from Tanda who relied on counter-attacking against the weary Mimosas legs. Abdoul Tapsoba equalised for Toure's side after Stephen Baffour had given the away side a shock league. It was only the second league goal conceded from Mimosas this season. 

An uneventful second half spelled trouble for ASEC as they couldn't find a way to win the game. They will be hoping a few favours are done in the other games to keep their lead at the top of Ligue 1.  

8F9D03E52CF14D073E7AD2D919E3718941984A03 (1366×768)

ASEC Mimosas 2-0 Bouake FC

In a game that marked the beginning of the second half of the Ligue 1 season, ASEC Mimosas had Abdoul Tapsoba to thank for providing the inspiration needed to overcome a dogged Bouake side. The Burkinabe striker has been a revelation this season, and with speculation surrounding his future, Toure will be keen to keep the young forward at the club beyond the January window. 

Tapsoba's fellow Burkinabe, Ibrahima Bance made his Mimosas debut after returning from a loan spell at Helsingborg. The midfielder deputised for Sangone who was rested by Toure. Bance looked comfortable in the middle of the park and linked up well with midfield partner Gramboute. What part he'll play in the second half of the season remains to be seen. 

8CA1BBE0D3872F5B05052528912BD158C85F2605 (1366×768)

This is how the league looks with half the season behind us:

EA7A3A47F2DB948405EDB87EC1560A823F2D6DA7 (1366×768)

Image result for l'equipe

Kolo Toure Exclusive: The Next Great African Coach?

Image result for l'equipe Kolo Toure

The Ligue 1 season passed the half-way mark at the weekend. With ASEC Mimosas occupying top spot, Kolo Toure seems to have earned pass marks on his mid-term report card. With Les Mimos still battling bravely on four fronts, L'Equipe sits down with the Cote D'Ivoire legend to discuss life in African football, the pressures of football management, and his ambitions for the future. 

Image result for l'equipe Kolo Toure

The temperature is 26 degrees celsius in the Ivorian capital, Abidjan. Kolo Toure has just walked off the training field where his players are gathered round the club fitness coach as he explains the next exercise to them. Everything moves at a slow pace in this heat, but it's nothing that the Mimosas staff aren't used to. As he approaches the seating area at the side of training pitch, Toure grins from ear to ear. It's the look of a man who knows that things are going according to plan. I introduce myself and ask him about his involvement in the day to day training of his players.

"I like to be hands on with things. I don't want to feel as though there's something I'm missing when things aren't going according to plan. If I can see for myself everything that is happening then I have no excuses when mistakes get made. I trust the coaches here, of course, and I'm indebted to them for the work that they put in. It's just a personal preference; I like to be present and directing things when the players are on the training pitch."

E09CD675781E6D3EBA8B4D5C04DEE599D0569D09 (1366×768)

If results are anything to go by, whatever Toure is doing on the field during the training sessions seems to be working. His side have only tasted defeat once this season, away at Club Africain in the Champions League, and they have only shipped the two goals in Ligue 1 over fourteen games. It's a remarkable record for a rookie manager, but it should come as no surprise that a solid centre back with a wealth of experience in the highest levels of the game should know how to keep his defence well drilled. It's something Toure takes a lot of pride in.

"Obviously I could never have imagined that we'd have a record like we do at the moment. I was expecting a lot more issues to occur early on in my time here. But it's something we can't take for granted. We have done this well because of how hard we work. The moment we let up on our effort is the moment that things take a turn for the worst. I think it's always very pleasing for a manager to see his team defensively solid; it's something that relies on a lot of coaching and time on the training pitch. With good players in attack, if we can keep goals out we typically win games. So we have to keep aiming for defensive solidity."

Key to Mimosas' solid defence is the way Toure sets his team up. Just as in his early days with Arsenal, four-four-two is the preferred formation. 

30D4DD71E37CEE0C92547DEBFF8C64C08784CEBD (1366×768)

With two banks of four protecting the goal during opposition attacks, teams have found the going tough against ASEC this season. The midfield has been well drilled to support the back four, with both wingers tracking bag regularly in a bid to protect the flanks. 

5940A4F7773F78C96EB7AA3AE7EB802A74EF2E64 (1366×768)

Toure's side have also shown themselves to be very effective at winning the ball back. Given his side tend to drop deeper when out of possession, it is crucial that when the opponent ventures into the Mimosas third of the field, yellow shirts fight to get the ball back in a bid to launch a counter attack. With ninety percent of their tackles won, it's little wonder they have such a good defensive record. 

But that's not all Toure's side are known for. Of the twenty-six games under his belt so far in football management, his team have managed to score seventy-seven times. This includes a 10-1 victory in the Ivorian Cup. As the top scorers in Ligue 1, there's little doubt that Mimosas are effective at both ends of the field. With wingers who like to take on their man and a team that usually enjoys the lion's share of possession, there's a good foundation to attack in this ASEC team. 

096CDE72B1971244735032837C1DD4CA882895F2 (1366×768)933C3F28EBF4EB62C2BD16CC953A32F7AB3EDB14 (1366×768)

The likes of Poukou N'Guessan and Konan N'Dri have terrorised defences this season. But there has been a great variety to the attacking play of ASEC; keeping opponents guessing on how to stop them. 

B82409FC3B55025A41235EB91C2B009892414A9F (1366×768)

"I like the shape of four, four, two defensively" Toure admits; "It relies on solid teamwork and good positional play. As a defender it is something you are always thinking about. So it's quite natural that as a coach I'd be looking to this approach. It's one that I know from my days as a player, but I'm quite prepared to change things up when required. Against Club Africain we struggled to get a foothold in the game so we changed to three, five, two in the second half and things got better. Sometimes having an extra body in midfield is need to stem the flow of the opposition pressure. But ultimately, I think there's ways that you can achieve this while keeping with the four, four, two shape. So it's all context dependent."

Aside from the tactical intrigue that Toure has brought to Mimosas, his work off the field has suggested he is a man with a vision for the club, much like Arsene Wenger was at Arsenal. One of the key changes Toure has made since arriving in Abidjan is in the preparation and discipline of the team. With a sports scientist brought to the club for the first time, Mimosas appear to be catching up with the European emphasis on rigorous scientific planning. There's also a very strict code of conduct printed on the wall in the training complex, highlighting a no-nonsense approach. Toure laughs as I mention the commandments pinned to the wall.

"Yes, I like to be dramatic for effect. But I am deadly serious also. We can't have unprofessional behaviour at the club or else we'll achieve nothing. It's a privileged life these guys lead, and they should treat every moment of their careers as something to be savoured. Every training session is a moment they are not having to go to an office or sell fruit on the street. There are millions of people who would give anything to be in their position, so I want them to act as if they acknowledge that."

It's not only the players who have shown great discipline this season; financially ASEC have managed to grow considerably thanks to a tight wage structure and African Champions League money. But another factor in their financial success has been ticket sales. The arrival of Toure saw season ticket sales rocket up to sixty percent, while several of the bigger games in Ligue 1 and the Champions League have been sell-outs. It's something the Ivorian is keen to see continue in the coming seasons.

"I've spoken to the board about finances, and while I'm no business person, I can understand where the gains are being made. It's important for all clubs to live within their means, and we're no different. But to see the club grow and produce excellent figures at the last AGM was very pleasing. We want to build this club up stronger and the only way to do that is to invest sustainably."

2ED8CDE824D41D6A5344644B5E1621507EA57633 (1366×768)

With Mimosas expected to reach seven figures very soon, it makes for an exciting future at the club. But how long will Toure be a part of that future? His progress on the African continent hasn't gone unnoticed back in England and here in France. There are also clubs elsewhere in Africa looking on with interest. So will Mimosas manage to keep the club Icon long enough for him to build a legacy?

"I never speak about these matters because it only diverts attention from the present. I only joined ASEC this summer, so it would be very premature to talk about the next step. I'm happy with my work here and I'm in no rush to go chasing work elsewhere. It's nice to hear that people are paying attention to what is going on in the country. I think that's a positive for Ivorian football, for sure. But I've only been here a short time and everything could turn sour tomorrow. So let's just enjoy the moment while the sun is shining."

The sun most certainly is shining here in Abidjan and on ASEC Mimosas. With a huge second half of the season to come, there's hope that the title will be returning to Les Mimos. There's also an exciting African Champions League campaign to conclude. But one would imagine that success on any of these fronts will spark interest in the man behind it. For now, Toure heads back to the training field to converse with his staff as his team prepare for a tough fixture away at fourth-placed USC Bassam. 

USC Bassam 2-5 ASEC Mimosas

69A84E816E4AFA0A7F3C50AC87A9605530676AC7 (1366×768)

Both teams came into this game as the top sides when it comes to chance creation in Ligue 1. So it naturally followed that it would be an entertaining affair with lots of goals. 

The first of the seven goals came early from a corner kick. Despite being fairly solid at defending set-pieces, Mimosas would go on to concede twice from deadball situations. A backpost header was the first one to arrive in the opening ten minutes. 

Despite going behind, Mimosas readjusted and the subtle tweaks to their game helped them go 2-1 up in a matter of minutes. First, Bagate raced clear of the defence to slot home the equaliser. This was followed shortly after by Tapsoba who rounded off a lightning counter attack to put Mimosas in front for the first time. 

With the lead now theirs, Mimosas grew into the match and midfielder Claude Singone found himself on the end of a well delivered free kick to make it 3-1. USC Bassam were beginning to fall away in the game and it got even worse for the home side when Abdoul Tapsoba made it 4-1 with a sensational volley from eighteen yards. N'Dri would add a fifth with a fine strike of his own, before another corner kick was converted by USC Bassam to make it 5-2 before half-time. 

The second half was more stable and Mimosas had some good opportunities to add to their tally. The highlight of the second forty-five minutes was a cameo sub appearance from new signing Diomande. The striker isn't quite up to speed yet after his recent injury troubles, but Toure will have been delighted to get the new man onto the pitch for the first time. 

With Africa Sports being held AS Tanda, Mimosas have opened up a four point lead at the top of Ligue 1. 

F9192290B685716E07D56926DA72BBD6EC4F6E13 (1366×768)

Image result for l'intelligent d'abidjan

League Cup Quarter Final Preview: ASEC Mimosas v Stade D'Abidjan

The quarter finals of the Ivorian League Cup throws up a fascinating tie at the Stade Felix. The leaders of Ligue 1 go toe-to-toe with the leaders of Ligue 2, but that is not what makes this tie interesting. 

When the Ivorian Football League was established in the late 1950's, early 1960's, Stade D'Abidjan emerged as the major force in Ivorian football. The club managed to win half of the first ten league titles in the country, as well as conquering the continent in 1966. That famous achievement earned them much love and appreciation around the West African nation. In many ways, their CAF Champions League victory marked the arrival of Ivorian football onto the African scene. 

Image result for stade d'abidjan 1966

Speaking ahead of the League Cup tie, Kolo Toure paid homage to his side's opponents:

"Everyone of a certain age who loves football in Cote D'Ivoire supports Stade D'Abidjan. They were the team that made Ivorians everywhere proud in 1966. People identified with them. Football was new to the country in the 60's, and this amazing team emerged out of nowhere. It's great to see them doing well in Ligue 2, because the country needs a strong Stade D'Abidjan."

Cote D'Ivoire had to wait thirty-two years before another Ivorian side won the continent's top prize. In 1998, Kolo Toure's ASEC Mimosas emerged victorious against Dynamos Harare of Zimbabwe. It was a moment that ushered in a golden age of football in the country, as many of the Mimosas players went on to represent the national team, eventually winning the African Cup of Nations in 2015. But there is still a lot of nostalgia for those old enough to remember the Stade D'Abidjan side that burst onto the scene in the 60's. 

Ivorian sports journalist Abdou Cisse remembers the great Les Yeyes side. He was present at both legs in the 1966 Champions Cup final against Real Bamako of Mali:

"It was all new for us. The paper I worked for had only developed a department dedicated to football a few years earlier, and I was lucky enough to be assigned the task of covering the cup final against Bamako. I remember the first leg in Mali. Abidjan took the lead early in that game, but ended up losing 3-1. It was a poor performance, but you got the feeling that the tie wasn't over. In the second leg the same scoreline was repeated, only this time in Abidjan's favour. The game went to extra time and right at the death, moments before penalties, Joseph Bleziri fired home the winner. It was incredible. 40,000 supporters witnessed history before their eyes. It was the highlight of my career as a journalist."

Image result for stade felix houphouet boigny

The Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny was the scene of that famous triumph in the mid 60's. So it will be a very special occasion for Stade D'Abidjan as they return to the ground in a match that should provide plenty of entertainment. 

Both clubs are currently top of their respective leagues, with either side yet to taste defeat. In the case of Stade D'Abidjan, promotion back to Ligue 1 beckons. That's where the priority certainly lies for the club, but a cup tie against Mimosas is always going to be hotly anticipated. 

D1651B6AECA1F688D3394D55326977A9FC856F70 (1366×768)

Les Yeyes' manager, Lancine Traore is keen to see how his team do against the top side in the country, as they look to make this fixture a regular thing as of next season:

"There's a history to this fixture, so of course it is one we're looking forward to. From a managerial perspective, it gives me a good chance to see how far we have come and how far we've got to go in our attempts to return this great institution to the top of Ivorian football. Mimosas are the benchmark for the rest at the moment. Their performances at home and abroad have shown real improvement on the last few years. I expect a game full of passion and entertainment. Hopefully we will stand up to the test."

Key to Stade D'Abidjan's promotion hopes are their front pair, Eric Dizan Bi and Yves Kasso. The two forwards have twenty-seven goals between them this season in all competitions. So there's definitely hope for the Ligue 2 outfit, even though they are facing the most formidable defence on the continent at present. 

63CD605D849273CE33F497C4483CEF358C07FB00 (1366×768)32F70CA6CE0B28ED9A549750A001DE264CC5A3DB (1366×768)

Neither side has won the League Cup to date, with the competition only starting in the 2013/14 season. Stade D'Abidjan have actually gone the furthest out of the two, having reached the final in 2017, losing to ASI d'Abengourou. So there's history to be made as well as appreciated in this tie. 

Can ASEC Mimosas continue to push for domestic perfection, or will an old power rise up and send out a strong message to the rest of Ivorian football?

Coupe de la Ligue Quarter Final: ASEC Mimosas 2-0 Stade D'Abidjan

CBF8A147CC69847C618EC1E8DC8FE4E8FF5BB080 (1366×768)

An early penalty miss proved crucial in the quarter final clash between two of Abidjan's historic clubs. Eric Dizan Bi wasn't able to convert from the spot in the opening ten minutes, allowing ASEC to settle down and work themselves into the game. 

The plan was clear for the Ligue 2 side: flood the midfield with bodies and keep the ball away from the ASEC players. For large spells of the game, the plan worked. But when ASEC did get possession they made it count, with two goals in the first half enough to see them into the semi finals. 

Ibrahima Gramboute sent a delicious ball over to left-back Samake who set himself and then volleyed home from twenty-five yards. It was a great goal from the fullback who has been returning to form in recent weeks. 

Shortly after the opening goal a second arrived. This time is was new signing Diomande who got it. Agbegniandan found the striker unmarked around the penalty spot and the former Stella Club man made no mistake with his turn and finish. Toure will be hoping it is a sign of things to come with young striker Abdoul Tapsoba sidelined for over a month. The Burkinabe striker suffered a training injury a day after signing a new deal to keep him at the club until 2023. 

Stade D'Abidjan's game plan would have to change at 2-0, because Mimosas were happy to let them have the ball all day in harmless areas. Eventually they switched from 4-1-3-1-1 to 4-3-1-2, but it was too little too late as ASEC seen out the match with relative comfort. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

Image result for Coupe de Cote d'Ivoire

Coupe de Cote D'Ivoire Quarter Final: ASEC Mimosas v AFAD Djekanou

Having already successfully negotiated one quarter final, ASEC Mimosas turned their attention to the second of their big cup ties against AFAD Djekanou at the Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny. 

With several key players missing due to injury, the Mimosas squad was thin on numbers. But the team pulled through, just, thanks to a penalty shoot-out win.

AFAD Djekanou twice took the lead in this encounter; both times against the tide of the match. First it was a lightening quick counter attack straight from an ASEC corner. But they would be pegged back immediately thanks to Diomande, who has two in two starts for his new club. Djekanou took the lead a second time in extra time when a free kick whipped in at the backpost was met by Salifu Moro. Moro looked to have sent Djekanou through to the semis, but right at the death Yessoh headed in a dramatic equaliser to send the game to penalty kicks. 

Mimosas converted every penalty in the shootout, while their opponents were to send one straight at ASEC keeper Dante to give Toure's side the victory. It was a thrilling game for the neutrals and in the end the better team prevailed. 

EB2F0CAF43D072673355BAC7D4CA596AF297FE8E (1366×768)

San Pedro Down and Out As Mimosas Run Riot

870AA4F9B683A6E834807CFEE93BB9B6A8F0259F (1366×768)

At the beginning of the season, San Pedro were the bookmakers' favourites to win Ligue 1. Fast forward to the beginning of February and the club find themselves sixteen points off the pace in seventh place. 

Mimosas on the other hand continue to march on in their quest for title success. Despite having their defence breached more often, the subtle changes that Kolo Toure has made since the New Year look to have brought back the mojo in this ASEC side. 

New signing Diomande bagged a hat-trick in this one as Konan N'Dri scored the quickest goal of the season. Brahima Ouattara was also on target, as Mimosas ran riot over their opponents. Speaking after the game Toure said his team have grown stronger since the turn of the year:

"We started to wane a little towards January, but we looked at things and assessed where we were going wrong, and after making some alterations to the system, I think we're seeing the best of us again. It's important that we are in good shape going into the final months of the season. There's so much still to play for and some very difficult games to come. Today, we overcame one of the most difficult opponents in the league. I am delighted with the way the players handled this game. It showed fearlessness and a true collective self-belief."

TP Mazembe 1-1 ASEC Mimosas

76C652486E1A70B2B54E0175EAFB19D65A0F4994 (1366×768)

ASEC Mimosas kept themselves in the qualification places with a hard-earned point in DR Congo. Despite conceding an early goal from a corner kick, Mimosas stayed head strong and persevered through the early test to emerge with an important point. 

The result leaves TP Mazembe on the brink of elimination. The Congolese club would require a miracle to progress having failed to win in their first four matches. 

Mimosas on the other hand could potentially seal a quarter final place with a win over Wydad Casablanca in round five. The Moroccan side managed to win for the second consecutive Champions League game, beating Club Africain in the Moroccan city. The showdown against ASEC in Abidjan a week from today could be the decisive match in a group that has opened up nicely. 

Yessoh was the man to earn ASEC the point, scoring the equaliser midway through the first half. But the striker probably should have won the game as he spurned a one on one chance late on. 

Kolo Toure saluted his side's efforts, however, claiming it was a monumental result against one of the top teams in Africa:

"We gained a huge point today. I'm so pleased. If you had offered me the point before the game I'd probably have taken it, all things considered. Mazembe have such a talented squad and they really needed to win tonight. But once again my players have stood tall in testing circumstances. Going behind here is tough, but we kept our heads and calmly got back into the game. We probably should have stolen it late on, but I'm not going to be critical of the boys. They deserve all the praise in the world."

Group C looks finely poised with two games to go. Both North African teams will make the trip south to Abidjan in the final two games of the group stage. A result against Wydad at home would seal a place in quarter finals for ASEC Mimosas. 

843B960663F451ACA076B8F3218ED878B90F1F99 (1366×768)

Elsewhere, Mamelodi Sundowns sealed their place in the last eight with a point against fellow South Africans Orlando Pirates. Al Ahly showed Salitas FC their class in Ouagadougou. Coton Sport continue to defy the odds as they remained in the qualification places ahead of Zamalek with a 1-0 win over Algerians ES Setif. And Ivorian side San Pedro put their miserable domestic form behind them and claimed an unlikely point in Casablanca against Raja.  

8D20FC61A1CC2755367D09B6B21371911EC44C5E (1366×768)

1459F6BFF5BA86E41EDB5CE3A437DFFB3A6BA0B8 (1366×768)

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

ASEC Mimosas 3-1 ASI d'Abengourou

4A3FC4AF9A26F14FD68FE35D2ECE2466A4E05B27 (1366×768)

Abou Diomande kept up the scoring start to his Mimosas career, as the striker netted twice to end ASI's eleven match unbeaten run. 

The away side hadn't lost in the league since Mimosas beat them in the reverse fixture back in September. But they couldn't hold out as ASEC went about the business of trying to keep their four point advantage at the top of Ligue 1 in a determined fashion. 

Wilfried Yessoh netted the first for ASEC before Diomande equalised after a mistake from Sako in the Mimosas defence. But Diomande was on hand to win the points as the former Stella Club striker proved what a bargain he is at only £6k. It was the perfect preparation for the huge tie against Wydad Casablanca this weekend and puts the pressure on Africa Sports ahead of their game in hand. 

ASEC Mimosas Qualify For Quarter Finals

1A07B7EB00C89C40F61C3CB12DDF9F986707D160 (1366×768)

In a tense stand off between two sides hopeful of a place in the quarter finals of the CAF Champions League, it was the underdogs that emerged victorious. Neither side wanted to lose this one, so for most of the game there was a chess-like feel to things, with pieces being moved about to prod and test the defence of the opponent. 

At only £6k, striker Abou Diomande is proving to be the bargain of the season. The striker scored another important goal for Mimosas, giving them the lead in the second half and sending them on their way to the quarter finals. 

Despite a nervy finish, summer signing Brahima Ouattara came off the bench to seal the victory after Ibrahima Gramboute, another summer arrival, found him with a killer pass from deep inside the Mimosas half. The false-nine made no mistake, slipping the ball through the goalkeeper's legs and sparking wild scenes of celebration among the 45,000 Mimosas fans. 

Toure's reaction:

"We've defied the odds to qualify and the team deserve enormous credit for it. I don't think anyone gave us a chance at the start of the group stages. Just getting to this stage was an achievement in itself, but this team has a hunger and desire that allows it to exceed expectations at every turn. We still have a difficult tie against Club Africain to go, but with qualification sealed we'll play without fear and try to win the group."

Elsewhere, Club Africain and TP Mazembe played out an entertaining 3-3 draw in Tunisia. The result sees the Congolese side eliminated from the tournament, but it leaves the Tunisian side needing to win to ensure qualification ahead of Wydad Casablanca. 

4814FB92F3B67A9E1E670844E7D97FCAE0EE6A1B (1366×768)

Elsewhere, San Pedro have kept their slim hopes of qualification alive by gaining their third point of the tournament against Orlando Pirates. The Ivorian side have surpassed expectations, despite a poor domestic campaign thus far. Mamelodi Sundowns continued their impressive form by seeing off Raja Casablanca, sparking a three way tussle in Group D on the final matchday. 

Zamalek head through at the expense of Coton Sport after an impressive 3-0 win in Cairo. ES Tunis ended the Algerian side ES Setif's hopes, beating the Alger based club 2-1 in the Algerian capital. 

The other Algerian side, USM Alger go into the final matchday with hope as they beat Salitas FC 3-1. They will await the result of tomorrows monumental tussle between Al Ahly and ES Sahel to see what the situation is going into the final matchday. 

276DED6550EE9603DFBC6EC2B2173992B440B68E (1366×768)08274B8E9D6B9AF2E0356768BBF9B7EF4CA67EE3 (1366×768)

The season is reaching what is commonly called "the business end" of things. With a Champions League quarter final place ensured, two semi finals to come in the domestic cups, and 10 league games to settle the destiny of the title, the first chapter of Kolo Toure's career looks to have a Hollywood finish lined up. 

Hope everyone is enjoying the save!

ASEC Mimosas 1-0 AFAD Djekanou

F1E06D0719A52544EB8DF75625EBCC1474D69AFA (1366×768)

For the second consecutive meeting between these sides, AFAD Djekanou pushed ASEC Mimosas all the way. In a closely fought game, a penalty from Abou Diomande was all that separated the sides. 

AFAD lined up in a 4-5-1, looking to keep things tight and play on the break. But a red card soon forced them to abandon their plan, allowing ASEC to match them up in terms of numbers in the midfield. Soon after the red card, Wilfried Yessoh was fouled by Junior Avo, allowing Diomande to fire home the penalty. The former Stella Club striker has been in terrific form for his new side and has scored a number of important goals since arriving. 

Towards the end of the game, Mimosas were reduced to ten men themselves as Diarrassouba flew into a challenge with two feet near the corner flag. It was a crazy and needless challenge from the young midfielder, but his dismissal wasn't costly as Mimosas seen out the game. 

These two will meet again in a fortnight for the Coupe de la Ligue semi final. If the last two encounters are anything to go by, it will be a hard one to call. 

WAC Hold On For Crucial Point in Relegation Fight

WAC will be celebrating a point this evening, as they held ASEC Mimosas to a goalless draw despite playing the majority of the second half with ten men. Mimosas were totally toothless throughout the match, allowing WAC to keep the ball and defend comfortably. Manager Kolo Toure insisted his side were needing a wake up call after seeing them struggle to put teams away in their recent games, but his team were not panicking as they head into the title run in period. 

Abdoul Tapsoba missed the game's best chance, striking the post despite an open goal presenting itself to him. Since injury, the young Burkinabe striker has found the going tough with the goals drying up. 

Mimosas turn their attention to their final CAF Champions League group game as Club Africain come to Abidjan desperate for a win. 

FC92CC6F3423887223AE04094B5789FA1C04F115 (1366×768)

Mimosas Stun Tunisians to Win Group C

After a dismal performance away at struggling WAC, ASEC Mimosas found their form again as they ended their group stage campaign with their best performance yet. Club Africain came into the match needing to win to ensure their place in the next round, but thanks to TP Mazembe's win against Wydad Casablanca, the Tunisian side were able to celebrate progression despite the humbling defeat.

The star of the show was Abou Diomande, the £6k signing from Stella Club, as he bagged a hat-trick in a stellar performance. 

Club Africain will be concerned at how little they threatened their opponents, though it must be said the absence of Saber Khalifa was a blow to the Tunisians. 

AD67FE3945EFAA38A753E85328F589DFF357E85B (1366×768)

Elsewhere, Mamelodi Sundowns ended their group stage campaign with a thumping of Raja Casablanca in Morocco. Orlando Pirates secured qualification with a narrow win over San Pedro. 

In Group A, ES Sahel stole the final qualification place after USM Alger were held by Al Ahly. 

Two high scoring draws in Group B seen ES Sahel finish above Zamalek. 

C15E864B93F94ACBF792121B7065FF57D1A74792 (1366×768)

3AB3C094501C630B3DAABD7D7B5050B0BA72539F (1366×768)

Quarter Final Draw: Orlando Pirates v ASEC Mimosas

06242938F0BE512F9A5848EA504CE47C8441A3A0 (1366×768)

The CAF Champions League quarter final has pitted Orlando Pirates against ASEC Mimosas. The first-leg will take place on April 4th in South Africa. 

Pirates finished second in Group D, ahead of Mimosas league rivals San Pedro. Mimosas, on the other hand, surprised everyone by topping Group C ahead of Club Africain, TP Mazembe and Wydad Casablanca. 

Elsewhere in the draw, two huge rivalries will be renewed as Zamalek go head-to-head with Al Ahly and ES Sahel face ES Tunis. Club Africain will go up against current tournament favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns. 

5BC1EEC6174C13810D34A3C3C64749C8323AE0D3 (1366×768)

SC Gagnoa 0-2 ASEC Mimosas

Mimosas got their title charge back under way as they put SC Gagnoa to the sword in a very accomplished performance. Both central midfield players were on target for Toure's side as they eased to a comfortable victory. 

On the back of a big win against Club Africain, confidence was high in the Mimosas ranks. Les Mimos moved the ball around confidently and counter attacked with great efficiency, with only the Gagnoa goalkeeper standing between them and a more comprehensive scoreline. 

Ibrahima Gramboute would win plaudits for his display in the heart of midfield, as well as his well taken goal before half time. The young midfielder is proving to be a revelation in Ligue 1 this season.

Toure reaction:

"Much better today than last week. I'd be happy to see these levels maintained until the end of the season. We played with a lot more purpose and killer instinct today. It was very pleasing to see."

2F356CD07188AF1F1070A6E617C00851C1CFF444 (1366×768)

Coupe de la Ligue: Mimosas Set Up Final With Africa Sports

In one of the most uneventful games of the season, AFAD Djekanou were narrowly beaten by ASEC Mimosas as Toure's side set up a League Cup final showdown against rivals Africa Sports. 

A free-kick from right-back Yves Ablakor was enough to see Mimosas through in a game that lacked clear cut chances from either side. 

Mimosas changed to a 4-2-3-1 to deal with the 4-5-1 employed by Djekanou, and as far as the battle for possession went, they succeeded in keeping the ball from their opponents. But the chances didn't arrive in a game that lacked the intensity you'd expect of a cup semi-final. 

After the match Toure said his side were delighted to reach the first final of the season: "You can never take these things for granted. There are players who will go their whole careers without playing in a cup final. It's something to cherish; a privilege afforded to the best. We deserve to be in the final, but we must be much better than we were today. Djekanou have given us some tough matches this season, so to beat them here today is pleasing. The final is going to be an exciting occasion, but we'll think about it when the time comes."

FDFF02D3472319CCEF72A0AE07B2E659D80E5571 (1366×768)

CA766272ACE0F3E9217BB4E49B2CAFAB2350F5CE (1366×768)

With fifteen points still to play for in Ligue 1, ASEC Mimosas moved twelve points clear of Africa Sports after a comfortable win over relegation battlers Sol FC. 

Two goals from centre back Oumar Sako sealed the points for Les Mimos, but they created a host of chances and really should have won more convincingly. 

The win means that Mimosas could potentially clinch the league title at the home of their fierce rivals Africa Sports. With the Ivorian Cup semi final and the Quarter Finals of the Champions League to come first, the next few weeks are going to be season defining for Kolo Toure's side. 

Coupe de Cote D'Ivoire: RC Abidjan 0-3 ASEC Mimosas

ASEC Mimosas kept their domestic treble dream alive by beating RC Abidjan in the semi-final of the Ivorian National Cup. Goals from Yessoh, Dion and N'Guessan seen off the threat of Racing Club on another comfortable afternoon Les Mimos.

Toure reaction:

"To reach both domestic cup finals shows how hungry this team are to succeed. When I came here I was asked to help the team be more competitive. To have two cup finals to look forward to as well as the opportunity to clinch the league title shows that we are competing at the very top. It's not easy to maintain consistency across all competitions, but so far we've managed to do that. I'm so proud to lead this team into two finals. The occasions will be very special and I know that the players will be looking forward to them."

2EE14496827AABD9736505F17B504DE5A4345655 (1366×768)

image.png.79d0839927f81432373a244b5edac6e1.pngimage.png.e79be88bcf40cf24ac09ccbadb891c61.png

CAF Champions League Preview: Orlando Pirates v ASEC Mimosas

Orlando Pirates have already ventured north-west to the Cote D'Ivoire during their Champions League campaign: on the 22nd of February they scored a last-minute equaliser to deny San Pedro FC a famous victory. A 2-1 win in the reverse fixture in Johannesburg sent the South Africans through to the quarter finals where they will make the long journey north again to face Ivorian league leaders ASEC Mimosas.

The Ivorian side were the shock winners of group C having beaten TP Mazambe, Wydad Casablanca and Club Africain on their way to the quarter finals. With an unbeaten domestic season on-going, Mimosas are now being considered the dark horses of the tournament. 

The first leg of the tie will take place in Johannesburg's Orlando Stadium.

Image result for orlando pirates stadium"

Thoughts from the dugout:

Augusto Palacios: "We've started to find our best form of the season lately. I think it's a good time to have this tie. I've been asked to coach the team until the end of the season and I asked the players to give me everything until then. So far they've been brilliant. They're ready for this one. It will be tough, though. We know that ASEC have been hard to beat this season and they'll fight until the end of this tie. But we've got the quality in our ranks, all we need to do is find the right formula."

Kolo Toure: "Orlando Pirates are one of the big names in African football. They will be a formidable opponent. But when you get to this stage of the tournament, there are nothing but big clubs. You have to be willing to show courage. For us, we know that teams are looking and saying 'they won't be easy to beat'. That is something we've really shown over the course of the season at home and abroad. But winning games is another thing. We won't be going to Johannesburg to draw. That isn't what we know. We only know how to go out and aim for victory."

The Experts' View:

Ivorian Football Expert: "Toure has done such a wonderful job in his first season back in the country. We're all quite surprised at the level of progress. Even though it is generally acknowledged that Orlando Pirates are favourites, anyone who has been paying attention to what's been happening here in the Ivory Coast will not discount ASEC. I expect the tie to be decided by slim margins."

South African Expert: "Orlando Pirates have had a poor season domestically. They really look like a team who want to get to the end of the season and sort things out over the summer. That being said, the one saving grace for them this year has been the Champions League. They came through Group D with a reasonable record and they should have enough to make the semis. If not, there will be a lot of blowback in the Johannesburg press. It hasn't been pretty here over the past 8 months. But defeat against ASEC would spell serious trouble for these players."

CAF Champions League: Orlando Pirates 0-4 ASEC Mimosas

338C6A52E0BF32F59C8B8A9CF084946A81240795 (1366×768)

The 40,000 capacity Orlando stadium prepared itself for a season-defining game as Orlando Pirates set about trying to save themselves from a year of failure with progression in the Champions League. Before the match, much was said about the solidity of ASEC Mimosas and how difficult it would be to break them down. Less was made of the attacking qualities that the Ivorians possess, but Les Mimos decided to remind everyone why they are the looking at a possible quadruple by firing four goals past Orlando Pirates unanswered. 

There were early warnings in the game as both Konan N'Dri and Abou Diomande spurned glorious opportunities. But it didn't take too long before the former was slipped in by Ibrahima Gramboute to slot home the opening goal of the match. The second was also set up by the Mimosas midfield wizard as he played an angled through ball over the top of the Pirates defence, allowing Abou Diomande to finish from close range. 

ASEC would have been pinching themselves at half-time: 2-0 up in Johannesburg and playing some excellent counter-attacking football. Everything was going according to plan. If the manager's words at half-time were 'more of the same, please', then his message was adhered to, because that's exactly what happened. Yessoh scored a well-timed header early in the half, before Konan N'Dri dribbled from the half-way line to smash one home from the edge of the Pirates penalty area. 4-0 and cruising, the Mimosas players looked like a side chasing four titles. 

After the match, Kolo Toure warned his side against complacency in the second leg, but admitted that his team produced the result of the season in Johannesburg:

"I don't want to say the tie is over. It's very much alive. We have to acknowledge that Orlando Pirates are capable of producing some amazing performances and they could do that in the next leg if we're not on our game. But we've taken a huge step towards the semis. The performance tonight has to be considered our best to date. Looking around the competition, I'd say we have a case for the most impressive result of the tournament so far. You don't get too many of these, so when they come along you have to enjoy it."

46D0B6AED6B0378630A010A29A8E50B6DAD7B8EF (1366×768)

Elsewhere in the tournament, favourites Mamelodi Sundowns took a huge step towards the semi finals with a 1-0 win in Tunisia. 

Historic rivals ES Sahel and ES Tunis played out a classic in the Tunisian capital. The game remains finely balanced ahead of the second leg, as the tie of the round looks like going all the way to the wire.

Zamalek stunned their fierce Cairo rivals Al-Ahly with a 3-0 first-leg win. The record Champions League winners will be up against it in the second leg as they look to perform a minor miracle to progress.

ASEC Mimosas 6-1 Issia Wazi

ADFC74F636C662EB16A348D39964E2452F9434A9 (1366×768)

ASEC Mimosas took a huge step towards the Ligue 1 title thanks to a comprehensive win over relegation battling Issia Wazi. 

Goals from Claude Singone, Gramboute, N'Dri, Ablakor and Diomande (x2) moved Les Mimos to within a point of the league crown. The result means that Toure's side can win the title at the home of their bitter rivals Africa Sports next week. 

Issia Wazi on the other hand are embroiled in a three way relegation tussle with Sol FC and WAC. With two teams relegated from Ligue 1, each side is desperate to pick up as many points as possible with twelve remaining to play for. 

Toure response:

"I thought we looked determined today. We know how close we are to the title and the players look like they really want to get things done. It will be very tough to do it at Africa Sports, but you couldn't pick a more appropriate occasion. We have to keep our focus and make sure that we don't pass up the huge opportunity."

ASEC Mimosas 1-0 (agg: 5-0) Orlando Pirates

E5E5D2D30843E651307BB507B2E3EF9C8C32BAEF (1366×768)

Any fears that a miracle was about to occur in Abidjan were quickly dispelled as Konan N'Dri struck early to put the quarter final tie between ASEC Mimosas and Orlando Pirates well beyond doubt. The winger struck a well timed volley from twelve-yards out to send his side through to the semi finals where Zamalek await. 

Orlando Pirates once again dominated the ball as Mimosas looked to frustrate them and hit them on the break. It was a masterplan from Toure who seen his side register the best chances of the match. The aggregate score of 5-0 is sure to shock African football, but this is a Mimosas team that look well drilled and dangerous on the counter attack. The Egyptian giants Zamalek, who await ASEC in the semi finals, will be scratching their head over how best to stop Toure's side. 

Elsewhere in the competition, Zamalek narrowly survived their second leg against rivals Al Ahly. Mamelodi Sundowns done enough to see off a valiant effort from Club Africain at overturning their first leg defeat. ES Tunis eliminated their bitter rivals by a single goal.

The semi final draw:

Zamalek v ASEC Mimosas

ES Tunis v Mamelodi Sundowns

9F8BAA790B9947E6963EAFAB93F4D3A8596FC848 (1366×768)

Mimosas Win Ligue 1!

ECFCC29E011E3831D446FEF3351E6ADA286C800B (1366×768)

Africa Sports head coach Jean-Christophe Gratecap insisted his side had conceded the title before Les Classique, but he didn't want celebrations taking place on their account. Unfortunately for Gratecap and his players, Mimosas were more determined to win the title at the home of their bitter rivals than Africa Sports were to prevent it. In an inspiring performance, Mimosas demonstrated why they are the new champions of Cote D'Ivoire; blowing away the team closest to them in Ligue 1. 

A hat-trick from Abou Diomande proved crucial, as the January signing highlighted once again the amazing value in his transfer, having moved from Stella Club for a mere £6k. Konan N'Dri and Oumar Sako provided the other goals as Mimosas ran out 5-2 winners.

Managers' reactions:

Gratecap:

"We have to congratulate ASEC. They have been the best team across the season and that is reflected in the standings. We hoped they wouldn't come here and celebrate, but we were poor. I am sorry for the supporters who must have suffered a lot today. We can only hold our hands up and hope to get it right next time."

Toure:

"What a day. It really is something to savour. It has been tough at times and we've certainly not had everything our own way. Africa Sports put up a great battle until the last month or so when they've fallen away a little. But we know how difficult it is to maintain high levels. We've managed it because we are a special team. The motivation is to keep going and not let up. I believe these players can go very far and I intend to keep pushing them. The titles will arrive when the hard work has been done. Today is the first, and hopefully not the last. We have so much still to play for."

1 hour ago, john1 said:

Been lurking in this story, and really enjoying the updates you have done so far! Brilliant progress with the club. Hopefully you get past Zamalek!

Much appreciated!

Zamalek will be tough. They beat the all time record holders in the African Champions League, Al Ahly. Egyptian football seems to be the English Premier League of the continent. A lot of strong teams with more financial muscle. But we've been solid so we stand a chance. 

Changing of the Guard: Old Champions 1-2 New Champions

ASEC Mimosas put previous champions OS Armee to the sword ahead of their clash with Zamalek this weekend. Goals from Abdoul Tapsoba and left-back Samake sealed the three points for Les Mimos.

OS Armee are vying for a place in next season's confederations cup, having fallen away in the title race well over a month ago. But their hopes suffered a blow as new champions ASEC Mimosas comfortably disposed of them in Yamoussoukro. 

Toure's side made several changes with Tapsoba and Brahima Ouattara coming in for Diomande and Yessoh. The former scored from the penalty spot to bring his goal total for the season to eighteen. The young Burkinabe striker has had a terrific breakthrough season and will be knocking on the door ahead of two cup finals next month. 

Toure's reaction:

"We made some changes, but we wanted to keep the positive momentum going by getting the win. The players that have come into the team have done tremendously well, showing the strength in depth we have here. OS Armee are no easy opponent."

724B448F5113A470C85A91F8348003538E2C6E43 (1366×768)

CAF Champions League: Zamalek 2-0 ASEC Mimosas

F5A7354E1557FFBB80AF619B42B7AAF9742B9474 (1366×768)

Egyptian giants Zamalek have taken a huge step towards the Champions League final with a comfortable 2-0 home win over ASEC Mimosas in the first leg of their semi final.

With such a dominant display, the Egyptian side will be confident of seeing the job through in Abidjan next week. Having already seen off their bitter rivals Al Ahly, Zamalek looked like a team on a mission and their Ivorian opponents had no answer to their waves of attack. 

Toure reaction:

"We simply did not compete today. Zamalek swamped us and forced us to defend deep. We just couldn't get near them. That's the difference at this level. We need to simply save face in the second leg and try not to put in such a poor performance. Qualification for the final is probably beyond us now. But a good performance is the least we can aim for."

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

ASEC Mimosas 3-0 RC Abidjan

Les Mimos put their disappointing Cairo performance behind them and resumed their fantastic domestic season with a comfortable home win over RC Abidjan. With numerous key players rested ahead of the second leg with Zamalek, it was on the squad players to show their worth to the team and keep ASEC's unbeaten league campaign going.

Oumar Sako, Salif Bagate and Sede Dion were on target in a routine win for Toure's side. The Mimosas manager declared himself pleased and insisted his team would "fight until the end" in the coming game against Zamalek:

"I am delighted once again to see the players who haven't been featuring every week come into the team and provide a thoroughly professional performance. We have striven for certain standards to be met here and everyone has joined the effort. As a manager, it is very pleasing. We have a big game midweek and we will fight until the end to progress, but it is so important that we are able to trust the full squad to we can rest players and give ourselves the best chance of fighting on all fronts."

BD7CF90E6253C04B1AC1D20DA281F00A07CBEE72 (1366×768)

The Miracle of Abidjan!

2BE4A8CED98D04326F4745ACDB13C397E2C2A712 (1366×768)

It may well go down as one of the great CAF Champions League performances: ASEC Mimosas were able to overturn a two goal first-leg deficit and progress to the final of the Champions League after a 5-0 win over Egyptian giants Zamalek. 

Before the match Kolo Toure played down his side's chances of progressing, insisting a good performance would be enough to leave him content with his team's continental campaign. But the ASEC players were not prepared to exit the stage and turned in one of the great team performances in CAF competition. 

Abou Diomande bagged himself yet another hat-trick (that's what £6k will get you), while defenders Sako and Ablakor added goals of their own to give the Abidjan based side a famous victory. Mimosas played with much more assurance than in the first-leg, with Zamalek looking shell shocked right from the start. 

Speaking after the game, Kolo Toure poured praise on his players:

"I don't have the words to describe this team. They have once again defied even my expectations. It's very special. You can say what you like about our first leg display, but tonight we have shown our true selves. It's up there with anything I've done in my career. I never in my wildest dreams thought we could come this far and turn in performances like this against the biggest teams on the continent. But we have punched so far above our weight and are on the verge of history."

7ED6E4F377B14225834F1E56B14254D8DAB7045C (1366×768)

ASEC Mimosas have managed to complete a domestic double, winning the Coupe de Cote D'Ivoire after beating Ligue 2's LYS FC 4-1. 

Another big game hat trick from Abou Diomande secured the trophy for Mimosas, as they added to their victory over Zamalek with another huge achievement. LYS FC tried to flood the middle of the field and keep things tight, but the wide men of ASEC were in fine form, forcing their opponents to stretch in an attempt to stop the dangerous crosses. Pokou N'Guessan was crucial with three assists, providing forward Diomande with plenty of service. 

The win gives Les Mimos two out of four possible titles this season. The CAF Champions League final and the Coupe de la Ligue cup final have still to come, with Mamelodi Sundowns and Africa Sports awaiting the quadruple chasing side in either final. Before those matches, AS Tanda will entertain Mimosas on the final day of the Ligue 1 season as Toure's side look to go the entire league season unbeaten. Mirroring Toure's first season with Arsenal, Mimosas will be hoping to earn the label 'invincibles' by avoiding defeat in the final match. 

Toure reaction:

"It was important to keep focused after the Zamalek game. We wanted to win this competition and in order to do so we had to respect our opponent. It was a comfortable game for us and our preparation paid off. LYS FC have done fantastic to get here, but they were unfortunate to come up against us in this sort of form. We have three very difficult games still to come with three different objectives on the line. With this team's mentality, I have confidence that we can add to today's success."

33 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Best of luck in the second leg.

We did it! I can't believe it. Zamalek were so dominant in the first leg and their tactics seemed to overwhelm my 4-4-2 system. But we persevered. Tweaked a few things and the team were just so much better. Mamelodi Sundowns in the final. One off match. Taking place in South Africa. Gonna be tough but we can definitely consider ourselves in with a chance.

AS Tanda 2-1 ASEC Mimosas

FD4418F98FC6E35481C364BBE5984C88A74FCA01 (1366×768)

It was inevitable: with one league game to go, ASEC Mimosas lost for the first time this season. Two goals from Andres Kossounou stunned the champions who gave up the chance to become invincibles.

Manager Kolo Toure shrugged the defeat off, though he did warn his players that such a performance would not do in either final to come:

"Today is an irrelevancy. I don't want it to deflect away from our incredible league campaign. It would have been nice to be unbeaten, but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. We have two very important games to come, so it was important to rest players today. I think we have to be much better in the next two games, of course. If we play like today, we will have won our last title already this season. That would be disappointing."

image.png.a62cf9197b28aef31aa2862db9f0e0e9.pngimage.png.1572d45f488e4bb2c4798a478d490600.png

CAF Champions League Final Preview

The FNB Stadium in Soweto will host the 2020 CAF Champions League final between Mamelodi Sundowns of South Africa and ASEC Mimosas of Cote D'Ivoire. The 87,600 capacity venue will be a fitting stage for the two best sides on the continent this season. 

Image result for fnb stadium"

With Mamelodi Sundowns playing in their native land, they will have a major advantage over their opponents who have to travel eight hours by air to reach the South African township. 

How Did Both Teams Get Here?

928B6D84FB60EB8A1B298CA4286D95F85BBA6E50 (1366×768)4450724C47E7C2ED86F3A97A319880D08A383333 (1366×768)

Both sides topped their respective groups, with Mamelodi Sundowns winning five of their six group games, drawing once. ASEC came through a difficult group as winners having beaten Wydad Casablanca home and away, as well as stunning TP Mazembe and Club Africain in Abidjan. 

The South African side have only experienced one defeat all tournament; a first leg defeat in their semi final against ES Tunis. Mimosas also had to overturn a first-leg deficit in their semi final clash, having lost 2-0 to Zamalek in Cairo. 

Both sides have already beaten opposition from their opponent's country, with Sundowns beating San Pedro FC home and away and ASEC doing likewise against Orlando Pirates.

Domestic Form

F791E2312E4D26E5253AB8460AE55082BBDE2455 (1366×768)EBD2103A2B53A3CCA4B7508F3F325549D42B2E31 (1366×768)

Mamelodi Sundowns are still fighting for the league title in South Africa, though they trail rivals Kaizer Chiefs by three points with three games to go. 

ASEC Mimosas have already wrapped up their league campaign, finishing head and shoulders above Africa Sports as champions. The Ivorians missed out on the chance to finish the season unbeaten on the final day of the season. 

4A57F5D6B01A3E118BE42F0D7E35CCB4BAE3D165 (1366×768)

Sundowns manager Pitso Mosimane favours a 4-1-4-1 possession orientated system. The tactician will look to control the ball for the majority of the game, with inside forwards looking to breach the ASEC backline. With technically proficient midfield players at his disposal, the battle for supremacy in the middle of the park will be an interesting one. 

Kolo Toure has generally opted for a 4-4-2 this season, with two strikers working together to disrupt opponent defences. They are a threat from wide areas with Konan N'Dri and Poukou N'Guessan providing goals and assists. 

Both sides have won the competition once before, so both have the chance to double their tally. Sundowns managed to win the African crown in 2016, while ASEC were victorious in 1998. 

DA7FA5E934C160C1E22F79FB4071CB764A4C56F5 (1366×768)

It was always going to be difficult for Mimosas, coming up against a side with vastly superior resources. But they gave it everything and in the end Mamelodi Sundowns proved too much. 

It was a special tournament for ASEC who were merely expected to make the group stages. Some memorable performances got them this far and unfortunately for Toure and his players, there was to be no repeat of the sort of displays that saw them put Zamalek and Orlando Pirates to the sword. 

Sundowns have been head and shoulders above the rest in this year's tournament and deserve the title. It has been quite a campaign for the Pretoria based club. Their final performance was typical of them in the CAF Champions League throughout. 

Toure reaction:

"Devastated, of course. We might not get to another final like this. So to come so close and fall at the last hurdle is hard to take. We didn't deserve to win the game today. Despite missing a few good chances, it would have been unfair on Sundowns for any other result. We couldn't match their quality."

Coupe de la Ligue Final: ASEC Mimosas 4-0 Africa Sports

3C5CDD99F404AB01B3181F9417F5AB3E88418156 (1366×768)

ASEC Mimosas headed into the League Cup final on the back of two defeats. One of those defeats was the heartbreak in Soweto last weekend as Mamelodi Sundowns ran riot in the CAF Champions League final. It would have been quite the task for Toure to pick his players up and have them ready to do battle with Africa Sports for the chance at a domestic treble. But that is exactly what Toure managed to do. His side were clearly desperate to end the season on a high as they put in one of their best displays of the season.

Goals from Diomande, N'Dri, Singone and Samake put their bitter rivals Africa Sports to the sword, as Jean-Christophe Gratecap's side ended the season trophyless. 

Toure reaction:

"I wanted to see the players respond to last week's defeat. We've worked so hard this season and it would have been devastating to lose both finals. To win the domestic treble is no easy thing. We deserve a lot of credit for achieving this. Today, you saw what we are capable of. We have to go from here and build on our success. We want to come back stronger next year, ready for more challenges. I think we are in a very good place to go on and achieve more. I am very proud today to be the ASEC Mimosas manager."

Image result for world soccer"

Kolo Toure's First Season in Management

Image result for kolo toure interview"

Last summer there were scenes of jubilation at the international airport in the Ivorian capital Abidjan, as Kolo Toure arrived to take the manager's position at ASEC Mimosas. Scores of fans lined the arrivals hall and greeted the former Arsenal defender like he was a rock star. The excitement was palpable. But not even the most optimistic supporter present that day could have envisaged how the first twelve months of Toure's reign would turn out. A domestic treble and an appearance in the CAF Champions League final followed Kolo Toure's appointment. It was a year of dizzying heights for the famous club and with a new season approaching on the horizon, we decided to take a look back at the events of the 2019/20 campaign, as well as previewing the coming season.

Home is Where the Heart is

The first task that Toure faced was trying to get ASEC Mimosas back to the top of Ivorian football. Ligue 1 has been very competitive in the last decade and Mimosas haven't had the kind of success that previous decades have brought them. OS Armee were the champions heading into the season, and with healthy investment along the coast in San Pedro, the city's football club San Pedro FC were dubbed the bookies' favourites for the 2019/20 campaign. There was a lot of intrigue over Toure's appointment and whether he had the managerial ability to push Mimosas forward. In light of his inexperience, local journalists remained cautious about predicting how his first season would go, with only a small number backing Mimosas in the title race. But as soon as things got under way, it became clear that the former Ivorian international was in his element as a manager. 

ASEC Mimosas' Ligue 1 campaign was nothing short of spectacular. With plenty of goals and a solid defence, they managed to go all the way until the last game of the season undefeated. In the end, they won the league fairly comfortably ahead of historic rivals Africa Sports; though, for a long time the title race was looking very close as OS Armee and Africa Sports pushed Mimosas until around April. It was during the title run in that Mimosas preseason fitness work looked to have been key, as they kept their levels high and pushed on for three domestic titles. 

7E79AA38FBD81C5B7F424E3402FB4773A2A66F13 (1366×768)

International Prestige

As if the domestic dominance wasn't enough, Toure's side showed how far they'd come with an impressive CAF Champions League campaign. 

Along the way to the final, where they lost to Mamelodi Sundowns, Mimosas brushed aside TP Mazembe, Wydad Casablanca, Club Africain, Orlando Pirates and Zamalek. It was an incredible run that ended in bitter disappointment. But the Champions League performance will no doubt have put Toure's name in high regard across Europe, where he hopes to manage one day. 

A Summer of Change?

Despite their incredible success, ASEC Mimosas are set to see their squad transformed this summer as no less than twelve first team stars are set to leave after their contracts expire. With Mimosas trying to keep on top of the financial side of things, squad overhauls are common place, but the players who come in to replace those who have helped ASEC achieve so much will have big shoes to fill. 

Key players such as Ibrahima Gramboute and Abdoul Tapsoba are wanted by clubs in Europe, so it could be a long hard transfer window ahead for Toure who will have to find a way to emerge from the window stronger. 

677C32C8140F8F8EB70A5BFBA67956F2D27F5270 (1366×768)

(As many as five players from the best XI could be headed for the exit)

With attention squarely focused on whether Mimosas can repeat their heroics, the pressure will be ramped up for the coming season. Can ASEC continue to dominate at home and compete abroad? Only once the transfer business has been concluded will we be in any position to say.

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

16 minutes ago, tyler16 said:

Oof, tough result in the CAF CL Final. Was the match as one sided as the scoreline suggests?

We missed two great chances at 0-1. But yeah, Mamelodi Sundowns were a level above. They looked dangerous throughout and I was scrambling to contain them. It was frustrating to see the team totally dominated in the biggest game of the season, but I can't be too downhearted with the season overall. It was way beyond what I expected. 

That being said, I will have to come up with a couple of tactical alternatives for the new season as our 4-4-2 was clearly figured out by the Sundowns coach. 

2020 Summer Rebuild For Mimosas

1011346209_tactical-board.com(2).thumb.png.e61fed629127e845c766e57c45f45bd1.png

Above is the strongest XI from the 2019/20 season. Those eleven players helped ASEC Mimosas achieve unprecedented success at home and abroad. Unfortunately, as with so many successful teams outside of the moneyed leagues, a good season usually means a summer fire-sale, as bigger and more financially powerful clubs lurk around for a bargain. 

Mimosas manager Kolo Toure has admitted that the summer will see a revamp of the squad. Speaking to the Abidjan times, Toure stated that several players had declined a contract renewal in the hope of moving to a better league. The club also saw several key youth players poached by other clubs, leaving them short of depth for the coming season. So how will this XI look without the players who have been either linked with a move away or confirmed as leaving?

328420525_tactical-board.com(3).thumb.png.f065c0a461e195e27e158aa8caad4853.png

Samake, Sangone, Graboute, N'Guessan and Yessoh are edging towards the exit. Yessoh is out of contract this summer and has been linked with a move to North Africa. The other four are expected to make the jump to Europe, but nothing has been confirmed as of yet. What we do know is Sangone is in talks with FC Lorient, and Toulouse have been sniffing around Gramboute and N'Guessan. Samake is a target of Paris FC. With French interest in key players, Toure will be sweating over the shape of his squad going into preseason. 

8A9B1B13AAE70EBB033A6F1CFA5475802B18D0A2 (1366×768)

With eleven exits confirmed already, the Mimosas squad is looking thin. Abou Martial, Salif Bagate, Mohamed Diabate and Kipari Ouattara will be particular losses, as Toure is thought to have valued each. One player making the move to ASEC is Stella Club midfielder Marc Bamba. After the success of Abou Diomande, Bamba will be hoping to make an equally big impact upon his move to the champions. 

E1C5DA068D89C38BD1A266B6201741ED65B73828 (1366×768)

Toure is also thought to be chasing another striker and it is understood that a formal approach has been made for Ivorian youth international Mohamed Sylla.

FB7526BD88EB2E53710D7DDF895BD66DAFD4BC06 (1366×768)

With several key positions likely needing to be filled and the squad bulked out a little, the next few weeks and months could be vital if ASEC Mimosas are to have any chance of repeating their heroics from the 2019/20 season.