[FM20] Stuniverse's FM20 Adventure

Stuniverse

9 February 2023

STUNIVERSE FACING INQUEST

HibsView: Hibernian manager Stuniverse has questions to answer after Hibs surprising  6-2 defeat and humiliation against the Premiership's bottom club Falkirk.

SP23_Falkirk_inquest.thumb.png.22c91289e90ccc81800c85a26d22e2e8.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday 10th February 2023

Pre-match v Livingston (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership (24)

Match Preview

SP24_Livingston_pre_media.thumb.png.ccc9cbce5318fc6b264b5b612ca6807c.png

HibsView: You were complaining about fatigue against Falkirk in midweek, is your squad in better shape for the visit to second-bottom Livingston?

Stuniverse: We've only had two days to prepare after the Falkirk debacle so, not really, and then we fly out to Switzerland next week for the Euro Cup II against FC Basel. Hopefully the players we rested against Falkirk are in better shape now but we'll just have to see. With Mitch Clark and Anthony Ralston both out, the experiment playing Ben Marshall at right-back didn't come off so that's one area we definitely need to look at. 

Livingston may be second-bottom but they won 1-0 at Easter Road last time we played them, and they'll be buoyed by the fact that bottom-club Falkirk have just thumped us. But we did win 4-1 at their place earlier in the season so we can take confidence from that as we head to the Tony Macaroni Arena.

SP24_Livingston_preview.thumb.png.bdffc621ac7126523a4b24076da8fbae.png

Unavailable:
Sam Field (ankle)
Anthony Ralston (ankle)
Lawrence Shankland (thigh)

Doubtful:
Ronan Darcy (knee-90)
Adam Jackson (knee-45)
James Husband (ribs-45)

Stuniverse (Hibernian manager):

SP24_Livingston_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.d75f8db5ad17fa8245e6f997cfa34959.png

Please LIKE if you enjoyed this update and FOLLOW the thread so you don't miss future updates.

Edited by Stuniverse

10 February 2023

HIBS ROCKED BY SHANKLAND INJURY

HibsView: As if Hibernian manager Stuniverse's problems aren't bad enough right now, Hibs have been rocked by the news that their top goal scorer, 27 year-old striker Lawrence Shankland has bruised a thigh in training and will miss the Livingston match and is a huge doubt for the FC Basel match on Thursday. Shankland has scored 32 goals in 38 appearances in all competitions this season and is the Premiership's top goal scorer with 16, four goals more than anybody else.

20230210_Shankland_inj.png

20230210_Shankland_inj2.png

20230210_Shankland_inj3.png

Edited by Stuniverse

I did not realise how immense Shankland has been this season. I don't recall you having a striker either at Falkirk or Derby being so prolific. Obviously the EPL is a harder league but I'm referring to just the numbers not ability.

Saturday 11th February 2023

Livingston v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership (24)

Team Selection

SP24_Livingston_selection.thumb.png.8373ea280de38a42a09f5b4cbdfe2fd0.png

HibsView: It must be a blow to lose the Premiershp's top goal scorer. How are the other walking wounded doing?

Stuniverse: Yeah, losing Lawrence Shankland yesterday to a bruised thigh was a blow but, hopefully, he won't be out too long. Sam Field and Anthony Ralston are both some way off returning from ankle injuries. Mitch Clark, Paul Hanlon, Ronan Darcy and Stevie Mallan were all rested against Falkirk and come back in for Ben Marshall, Stephen MacKay, Glenn Middleton and Bright Enobakhare. 

Post-match: Livingston (1) 1-4 (2) Hibernian 

SP24_Livingston_report.thumb.png.484b6edf134b896c27210876ce9e3ba7.png

HibsView: That was more like the Hibernian we've come to know and love under your management. Were you worried at all when Livingston equalised for 1-1 though?

Stuniverse: Thank you. Yes, I was a bit, as that's been our Achilles Heel of late, not being able to get a two-goal lead and then conceding. I knew if our energy levels were right we'd be ok, but after the Falkirk game I wasn't sure. Fortunately the players kept going and didn't run out of steam today. If anything, my players raised their performance levels after the equaliser.

We took the lead in the 13th minute when Connor Johnson headed home Stevie Mallan's free-kick. Just lately we've been struggling to hold a lead and stretch it to a two-goal lead and that proved the case again when Livingston equalised on 24 minutes. We regained the lead just before half-time, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy went on a brilliant dribble, Daryl Horgan crossed low into the penalty area, and Fraser Hornby slotted the ball into the net for 2-1. 

After the break, we were able to double our lead on 57 minutes when Fraser Hornby scored his second goal with a header, after great work down the right-wing by Mitch Clark and Daryl Horgan. We thought we'd made it 4-1 after 65 minutes when their goalkeeper parried Stevie Mallan's free-kick and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy scored from the rebound, only to see the assistant referee's flag go up. On 76 minutes, we did make it 4-1 when Connor Johnson scored his second goal, again heading in a Stevie Mallan free-kick.

HibsView: You seemed to play with a calmer, assurance after the break. Was that deliberate?

Stuniverse: Yes. We'd gone Attacking, as we usually do, in the first-half, but after the break we changed to Positive, and then later to Balanced. For the last quarter-of-an-hour or so, we brought Lee Buchanan on to sit just in front of the back-four to shore things up. I thought we controlled the second-half and kept Livingston quiet.

Stuniverse (Hibernian manager):

SP24_Livingston_post_stuniverse.thumb.png.573b676d3ecad720781585779c55513c.png

SP24_Livingston_lgTab.thumb.png.716eeba5520c08cc4d2ee9a757412514.png

HibsView: You're four points clear of Hamilton in 4th with a game-in-hand. How does that feel?

Stuniverse: After the Falkirk humiliation, I'm just pleased we were able to get a comfortable win and looked more like our normal selves. Our next game is in Switzerland in the Euro Cup II so I'm more focussed on how I get the players some rest and downtime than I'm worrying about the league table right now.

SP24_Livingston_stats.thumb.png.cce4c981bfcdbc49c519ecc4d336e2eb.png

SP24_Livingston_analysis.thumb.png.a13ed19d41c707f70e5275fbb014b702.png

Please LIKE if you enjoyed this update and FOLLOW the thread so you don't miss future updates.

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, kidthekid said:

I did not realise how immense Shankland has been this season. I don't recall you having a striker either at Falkirk or Derby being so prolific. Obviously the EPL is a harder league but I'm referring to just the numbers not ability.

Thanks, @kidthekid. You're right, at Derby on my FM19 Career Update save, I didn't have a prolific goal scorer, and in the first two seasons of this save at Falkirk I didn't either.

Last season, at Falkirk in the SPL, I took Adam Idah on loan from West Ham and he ended up being the SPL's top goal scorer with 27. I extended his loan at Falkirk until the end of this season, before I walked out, but Adam Idah is right at the top of my shortlist to try and sign for Hibernian in the summer. I've just checked, and I'm listed on his favoured personnel. Idah only has nine goals this season, so far.

I do like to play an attacking style of football which, I think, does help the strikers with decent finishing and heading stats score goals but I can't always play that way because the team has to be strong enough in other areas, particularly defensively, otherwise you can get blown away easily as you concede too many goals. I don't think I was ever able to play totally attacking, the way I like, in the Derby save... and even on this save, given our inconsistent form of late, I'm thinking of reigning things back a bit, especially away from home.

20230212_SPL_top_goal_scorer.thumb.png.ffac74bb1f276af213b1057bde7fcd06.png

Just checked and we are this seasons top goal scorers in the SPL with 61, six more than Celtic, but our 39 conceded is way too many really for a side chasing 3rd place and wanting to challenge Celtic and Rangers for the top two spots in the future...

20230212_lgTab.thumb.png.4ca585beebf325a67ba4a98e7f7a6dfe.png

20230212_Idah1.png

20230212_Idah2.png

20230212_Idah3.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 15th February 2023

Pre-match v FC Basel (a) - Euro Cup II First Knockout Round

Match Preview

EC_Ko1_Basel_media.thumb.png.37309d0d2fdedbb59845463d3c4bc814.png

HibsView: You've done better than anyone anticipated by getting to this stage of the Euro Cup II. No second legs at this stage, it's all going to be decided at St-Jakob Park tomorrow night. Can you defeat FC Basel and get though to the next round?

Stuniverse: We hope so. We gave the players a couple of days off and we've trained hard since. In some ways, we have to treat it like an away tie in one of the domestic cup competitions, but with a lot more travelling.

EC_Ko1_Basel_preview.thumb.png.7182cceb96582d32437549a538981393.png

Unregistered: Ross Doohan, David Gray, Lee Buchanan, Liam Gordon, Jack Hendry, Luke Amos, Kyle Edwards, Jahmal Hector-Ingram. 

Unavailable:
Sam Field (ankle)
Lawrence Shankland (thigh)

Doubtful:
Ronan Darcy (knee-90)
James Husband (ribs-75)
Anthony Ralston (ankle-45)

Stuniverse (Hibernian manager):

EC_Ko1_Basel_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.4d70e4e5b2605303fd81dcefdb090df1.png

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

I do like to play an attacking style of football which, I think, does help the strikers with decent finishing and heading stats score goals but I can't always play that way because the team has to be strong enough in other areas, particularly defensively, otherwise you can get blown away easily as you concede too many goals. I don't think I was ever able to play totally attacking, the way I like, in the Derby save... and even on this save, given our inconsistent form of late, I'm thinking of reigning things back a bit, especially away from home.

I really like the look of your tactic, so much that I stole your 4-4-2 and used it in my Nantwich save to good results so far. Even when we win we concede loads of goals, but the tactic focuses so much on scoring that it makes up for it. It truly is a great example of pulling the blanket to one side and leave the other side exposed, but it is this attacking edge that makes the tactic work.

Thursday 16th February 2023

FC Basel v Hibernian - Euro Cup II First Knockout Round

Team Selection

EC_Ko1_Basel_selection.thumb.png.b3d305bb4693125efaee860d80ea17c8.png

HibsView: We weren't expecting to see Shankland on the bench.

Stuniverse: Lawrence has just about shaken off the effects of his bruised knee, but he's not trained all week. My medical team have cleared him to play so, if we need him, Lawrence is on the bench and can come on. The team that starts tonight is unchanged from the team that started against Livingston last time out.

Post-match: FC Basel (2) 2-2 (1) Hibernian
FC Basel 2-2 Hibernian after extra-time
Hibernian win 10-9 on penalties

EC_Ko1_Basel_report.thumb.png.72a0765c077f076f88640507748f9261.png

HibsView: Have you ever experienced a penalty shootout like that one before?

Stuniverse: I remember, as a fan, watching Derby win a really long one 14-13 against Carlisle United once, but this was the longest, and best, penalty shootout I've been involved in as a manager. 19 exemplary penalties, a textbook lesson on the craft of penalty taking, and then Basel missed one. Unbelievable. But nothing more than my players deserved. On a snow-covered pitch, I thought we should've won in 90 minutes, should've won in extra-time, and fortunately we did win the penalty shootout.

Talk about a sucker-punch, Daryl Horgan had a good opportunity to give us the lead in the first minute, but the goalkeeper saved it. Then Basel go down the other end and do score. We were all-square on 17 minutes though when Fraser Hornby headed in Stevie Mallan's corner. Basel caught us on the counter-attack on 24 minutes and we were 2-1 behind. On 40 minutes we thought we'd equalised, but Curtis Jones's effort was ruled out for offside. We had a scary moment right on the half-time whistle, when we thought Paul Hanlon had conceded a penalty but VAR ruled the infringement was just outside the area.

After the break, we lost Mitch Clark to injury which left us somewhat unbalanced down the right. On 80 minutes we equalised when Fraser Hornby, flicked on Daryl Horgan's cross, and Glenn Middleton volleyed in at the far post.

Into extra-time, and on 105 minutes, Fraser Hornby won the ball from their throw-in, squared the ball to Bright Enobakhare, who unleashed a shot from outside the penalty area that flew past their goalkeeper to put us ahead for the first time at 3-2. Unfortunately, within a minute, Stevie Mallan got caught in possession and they ran through to level at 3-3.

Stuniverse (Hibernian manager):

EC_Ko1_Basel_post_stuniverse.thumb.png.f0dd4b60b17167605d108552a071ed57.png

HibsView: Was that a masterclass in tactical genius as well? I lost count of how many times you changed formations.

Stuniverse: It wasn't by design. We just kept tweaking things in an attempt to give us the edge and get more of a cutting edge up front. To be honest, we created a lot more chances than them, it was only because Basel were a lot more ruthless in front of goal than we were that kept them in contention.

The injury to our right-back left us exposed on the right-flank so our tactics were a bit unorthodox after that. First changing to...

EC_Ko1_Basel_formation.thumb.png.c67c0ad8618926e39d516bb22e4b5b60.png

...then dropping Daryl Horgan back a bit and changing to...

EC_Ko1_Basel_formation2.thumb.png.bb21daaf0e28491464303a34d253139f.png

... then when Daryl Horgan finally had to give-in to the injury he'd picked up, we brought Adam Jackson on to play right-back and go to a more conventional 4-4-2 again.

My players were magnificent. They weren't going to be beaten tonight. And for the 1,400-odd Hibs fans who followed us to Switzerland to cheer us on, they made so much noise and were absolutely magnificent. I'm absolutely delighted we got this win for the Hibees.

EC_Ko1_Basel_stats.thumb.png.222797dade2a02d14b41ca0a4c5037eb.png

EC_Ko1_Basel_analysis.thumb.png.ff3dde0210ed039e39b8c9dd35b11b99.png

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, kingjericho said:

I really like the look of your tactic, so much that I stole your 4-4-2 and used it in my Nantwich save to good results so far. Even when we win we concede loads of goals, but the tactic focuses so much on scoring that it makes up for it. It truly is a great example of pulling the blanket to one side and leave the other side exposed, but it is this attacking edge that makes the tactic work.

Wow! Thank you, @kingjericho. That's an incredible compliment. I'm pleased the 4-4-2 tactic is working with Nantwich for you. It is an exciting way to play, I find! Glad you are enjoying it.

February 2023

EURO CUP II ROAD-TRIP HEADS FOR FRANCE

HibsView: Hibernian have been drawn against AS Saint-Etienne in the Euro Cup II Second Knockout Round (last 16) and will travel to France to play the cup-tie.

EC_Ko2_draw1.thumb.png.85acdf285bbb72c398b7cd3626a1e1da.png

EC_Ko2_draw2png.thumb.png.7730847fcb6b3a35ce667602b2b62e5e.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 18th February 2023

Pre-match v Kilmarnock (H) - Ladbrokes Premiership (25)

Match Preview

SP25_Kilmarnock_media.thumb.png.a063400e175828844fbe5c3baad12af7.png

HibsView: Although it was a sensational win in Basel, you played late into Thursday night, then had to travel back to Edinburgh, and tomorrow you entertain 6th placed Kilmarnock. How are the squad holding up?

Stuniverse: Daryl Horgan (ankle) and Mitch Clark (knee) both took knocks on the night and we have a lot of tired players right now. We'll have to see how everybody feels on Sunday morning and pick a team and subs bench from there.

SP25_Kilmarnock_preview.thumb.png.f6ac2556d8844c8a4bdaa768d2b92db9.png

HibsView: At one point, Kilmarnock were your closest rivals this season but now they're 6th, 12 points behind you in 3rd. A win would mean you don't have to worry about them overtaking you this season. Can you do it?

Stuniverse: We hope so, but Thursday night's 120 minutes plus a very long, stressful penalty shootout has taken a lot out of us. If ever we needed our fans to give us a lift at Easter Road we need it tomorrow. 1,400 Hibees were magnificent at St. Jakob Park, Basel. We need almost 20,000 of them to be equally magnificent tomorrow.

Doubtful:
Ronan Darcy (knee-90)
Mitch Clark (knee-90 / fatigued)
Daryl Horgan (ankle-90 / fatigued)
James Husband (ribs-75)
Anthony Ralston (ankle-75)
Sam Field (ankle-60)
Stevie Mallan (fatigued)
Curtis Jones (fatigued)
Fraser Hornby (fatigued)

SP25_Kilmarnock_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.a94f910beb510b531e7769a27c0112eb.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Sunday 19th February 2023

Hibernian v Kilmarnock - Ladbrokes Premiership (25)

Team Selection

SP25_Kilmarnock_selection.thumb.png.d32361dc74d01e8283669a539659793d.png

HibsView: Have you been able to patch together a team?

Stuniverse: Patched together, is right. We've made seven changes from the side that started against Basel. Adam Jackson comes in at right-back for Mitch Clark (knee). Stephen MacKay starts at left-back for Paul Hanlon. Ben Marshall replaces Daryl Horgan (ankle) on the right-wing. Kyle Magennis and Bright Enobakhare will partner in central-midfield for Stevie Mallan and Ronan Darcy. Lewis Morgan plays on the left-wing for Curtis Jones. Lawrence Shankland replaces Fraser Hornby up front.

Post-match: Hibernian (1) 1-0 (0) Kilmarnock

SP25_Kilmarnock_report.thumb.png.7161dfc7f190e68c1215fed1bf834664.png

HibsView: Does that win, with a patched up team, show the strength in depth of your squad?

Stuniverse: I'd like to think so, yes. It's difficult to keep all the players happy, at times, because I have a squad of 25-ish players who I have complete trust in, but I can only start 11 of them in each game, with another seven on the bench, of which I can only use three. All professional players want to play football and, to be competitive in the upper echelons of the Premiership, in Europe, and across the domestic cup competitions, you need a squad of 20 plus quality players. I'm fortunate to have that here at Easter Road and I'm delighted that the players who haven't played as much as they'd like this season, put in a performance that they can be proud of today.

On 15th minutes, Bright Enobakhare went on a bursting run into the penalty area and was chopped down. Rushian Hepburn-Murphy stepped up and made it 1-0 from the penalty spot. We couldn't add to the lead again and Kilmarnock equalised with about five minutes of the half to go. We saw nothing wrong with it, to be honest, but the officials disallowed it for something that nobody in our dugout saw.

After the break, we controlled the game and would have added to our lead if it hadn't been for a string of fine saves by their goalkeeper. We did, I'll admit, have some hairy moments of our own nut good defending and goalkeeping meant we kept a cleansheet and on the game.

SP25_Kilmarnock_post-stuniverse.thumb.png.2a9064f188c994ecd65be7680bd523fa.png

Vinny Perth (Kilmarnock manager):

SP25_Kilmarnock_post-vinny_perth.thumb.png.c3b0afa6bce1d23eac1e7a312bb32d9d.png

SP25_Kilmarnock_lgTab.thumb.png.bab3aac3d493d0957fbd4d283ffc115b.png

HibsView: That win consolidates your position in 3rd place considerably.

Stuniverse: It does, but we still have another eight games before the split and then, assuming we make the Championship Group, another five very tough games. I'm not worried where we are after 25 games, its where we are after 38 that really counts.

SP25_Kilmarnock_stats.thumb.png.f614ddf0c7f498a0c1d0315e915d34ba.png

SP25_Kilmarnock_analysis.thumb.png.b13a97cb2acb8a946c875d5dc57c4f18.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Tuesday 21st February 2023

Pre-match v Ross County (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership (26)

Match Preview

SP26_RossCo_media.thumb.png.108e51227622d7178953219a48bbed17.png

HibsView: You're away to Ross County tomorrow, who are 10th in the Premiership and facing a relegation battle. Are you confident of getting a win at the Global Energy Stadium?

Stuniverse: We won 3-1 there much earlier in the season, and beat them 7-3 more recently in a freakish game at Easter Road, which gives us a lot of confidence. But we've had a tough, challenging couple of weeks, and our fitness levels aren't what we would like at the moment, so we're expecting a tough battle.

SP26_RossCo_preview.thumb.png.1885c1b33cf3ffba6757c9ac57146dcc.png

Doubtful:
Ronan Darcy (knee-90)

Mitch Clark (knee-90)
James Husband (ribs-75)
Anthony Ralston (ankle-75)
Sam Field (ankle-75)
Ryan Porteous (fatigued)

SP26_RossCo_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.6f471eee1215fa547e14d9156776a0a2.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 22nd February 2023

Ross County v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership (26)

Team Selection

SP26_RossCo_selection.thumb.png.7eedd4eb7c2c0d08ddc272a34abbc0e2.png

HibsView: Three changes today.

Stuniverse: Yes. Ryan Porteous has looked jaded so he misses out, with Mitch Clark coming in to play right-back, after recovering from his bruised knee, and Adam Jackson moves inside to centre-back. Daryl Horgan starts on the right-wing, instead of Ben Marshall. Up front, I've given the nod to Fraser Hornby over an unfortunate Rushian Hepburn-Murphy. 

Post-match: Ross County (0) 0-1 (0) Hibernian

SP26_RossCo_report.thumb.png.a1f843d06aecf6c1498dc203550f7482.png

HibsView: You had to be patient today before securing a win.

Stuniverse: Yes. And what a goal! It was well worth waiting for. Stevie Mallan won it for us after 90+1 minutes when he curled a sensational free-kick into the top corner. Overall, I thought we had the better of things, but we struggled to get enough attempts on target and didn't work our former goalkeeper Conor Hazard enough.

SP26_RossCo_lgTab.thumb.png.3e3a1ab8decca9e65584f0479496ac3c.png

HibsView: That win takes you nine points clear of Hamilton in 4th place.

Stuniverse: We're doing well but, as I'm sure you're sick of hearing me say, the league table means nothing at this stage of the season. We'll continue playing one game at a time and do our best to win as many points as we can. After 38 games, we'll know where we've finished.

SP26_RossCo_stats.thumb.png.a5181122bb7e51b76495a7a428197e05.png

SP26_RossCo_analysis.thumb.png.c71c084ad2933f95a1014e936c6b1afe.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 25th February 2023

Pre-match v Dundee United (H) - Ladbrokes Premiership (27)

STUNIVERSE REACHES 200 LANDMARK

HibsView: Hibernian manager, Stuniverse, will manage the 200th match of his career when his Hibs side host Dundee United on Easter Monday.

SP27_DundeeUtd_stuniverse200.thumb.png.018f17c1d8cf8615a7a398b4b46c2557.png

Match Preview

SP27_DundeeUtd_media.thumb.png.90a41f386d9fce384c6c39941032887c.png

HibsView: Dundee United may be 9th in the Premiership but you've yet to beat them in two Premiership attempts this season. Can you get the win at Easter Road on Easter Monday?

Stuniverse: We're in good form at home, having won our last six Premiership games at Easter Road, so we have a lot of confidence going into this one. But we also know we drew 2-2 with Dundee United at Easter Road earlier this season, and lost 4-2 when we went to Tannadice Park, so we know this game is going to be far from easy.

SP27_DundeeUtd_preview.thumb.png.fbc032eb34c94b1bd8a8ad09c1cfde39.png

Unavailable:
Mitch Clark (suspended)

Doubtful:
James Husband (ribs-75)
Sam Field (ankle-75)

SP27_DundeeUtd_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.88f5be563225e00b721b2d21c0a0f2e6.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Monday 27th February 2023

Hibernian v Dundee United - Ladbrokes Premiership (27)

Team Selection

SP27_DundeeUtd_selection.thumb.png.07580306aa60e3ee772f605119a671e3.png

HibsView: Two changes today.

Stuniverse: Yes. Adam Jackson moves to right-back for the suspended Mitch Clark and Paul Hanlon comes in at centre-back. Stevie Mallan starts in central midfield for Bright Enobakhare.

Post-match: Hibernian (3) 4-2 (0) Dundee United

SP27_DundeeUtd_report.thumb.png.c4d8be7691f1f8c2e70635fe04052769.png

HibsView: Congatulations on winning the 200th match of your managerial career. 

Stuniverse: Thank you. We took the lead after two minutes when Stevie Mallan fired home after being set-up by Daryl Horgan. We increased the lead to 2-0 on 19 minutes when Fraser Hornby tapped Daryl Horgan's cross into Lawrence Shankland's path and he made no mistake. Daryl Horgan was on fire for us and on 25 minutes we were 3-0 up when his cross was headed in by Fraser Hornby.

Three minutes after the restart it was 4-0 when Lawrence Shankland coolly converted a penalty. Dundee United clawed one back on 71 minutes. And then on 80 minutes we didn't stop their winger's run down our left and his cross was headed in at the far post.

We went more defensive after that and saw the game out quite comfortably.

Lee McCulloch (Dundee United caretaker manager):

SP27_DundeeUtd_post_mcculloch.thumb.png.55bc5376c400e15e5f58e2f86e409099.png

SP27_DundeeUtd_post_stuniverse.thumb.png.d2f6ce4de363ad3538840e48966b58d3.png

SP27_DundeeUtd_lgTab.thumb.png.38f229daa8613d2d6d180e79e689e829.png

HibsView: You're 3rd in the Premiership, four points behind Rangers in 2nd, 12 points ahead of Hamilton in 4th, 17 points ahead of Motherwell in 5th, and the win today guarantees Hibs a place in the Championship Group after the split. Things are looking very good, aren't they?

Stuniverse: They are. Yes. But we still have 11 games left to play, 33 points to play for, and a lot can happen over 11 games as we know. This is football, after all, expect the unexpected but, yes, we're very happy with how our season has gone so far and we need to make sure we work just as hard over the remaining games for the players to get the rewards they deserve at the end of the season.

SP27_DundeeUtd_stats.thumb.png.3fbf0c23f04c429243701dd28753fed5.png

SP27_DundeeUtd_analysis.thumb.png.eba91626821bc66fecaa3d0a8bb295d9.png

Edited by Stuniverse

28 February 2023

HIBERNIAN - MARCH FIXTURES

HibsView: Hibernian will start March with their Euro Cup II Second Knockout Round cup-tie away at AS Saint-Etienne, followed by the six remaining Premiership fixtures before the league splits into the Championship Group and the Relegation Group.

1_fixtures_Jun-Aug.thumb.png.449f210f32d59f7a83e9ad39e40af168.png

2_fixtures_Sep-Nov.thumb.png.4e5f89cbd1849a14d5f8b34c959f13c2.png

3_fixtures_Dec-Feb.png

20230229_fixtures_march.thumb.png.b3f2c72d4ad9faa79385852db1c3503a.png

Edited by Stuniverse

1 March 2023

STUNIVERSE WINS MANAGER OF THE MONTH

HibsView: Hibernian manager Stuniverse has been named Premiership Manager of the Month for February after his Hibs side won five of their six league maches.

20230301_SP_MotM_Award.thumb.png.d8b9935735b07cb1d924614f61a710a8.png

20230301_SP_MotM_Award_Mathie_comments.thumb.png.67c0b16d97d393f01430f1d253c2ce95.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 1st March 2023

Pre-match v AS Saint-Etienne (a) - Euro Cup II Second Knockout Round

Match Preview

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_media.thumb.png.587377dfb43afb6cbac0938cb2a34b8a.png

HibsView: How confident are you ahead of your trip to France to play Saint-Etienne?

Stuniverse: We're as confident as we can be ahead of our game tomorrow night. There's no doubt though that Saint-Etienne will be our toughest challenge so far in the Euro Cup II and being away from home at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard makes it an even more difficult challenge for us.

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_preview.thumb.png.09bee0498103dbd8d1d228262ee98353.png

Unregistered: Ross Doohan, David Gray, Lee Buchanan, Liam Gordon, Jack Hendry, Luke Amos, Kyle Edwards, Jahmal Hector-Ingram. 

Doubtful:
Mitch Clark (knee-90)
Sam Field (ankle-75)
Daryl Horgan (jaded)

Regis Beunardeau (AS Saint-Etienne manager):

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_pre_rene_beunardeau.thumb.png.8c8a6372ca007e364bc998bff341e502.png

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.bf0116e1885435731c6b9af4bc50e322.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Thursday 2nd March 2023

AS Saint-Etienne v Hibernian - Euro Cup II Second Knockout Round

Team Selection

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_selection.thumb.png.014efeb3a92fb275e54c0c7819603cf3.png

HibsView: Just the one change tonight.

Stuniverse: Yes. The lads played very well against Dundee United in our 4-2 win last time out and we were going to go with the same 11. Daryl Horgan was looking tired in training though, so Ben Marshall starts on the right-wing.

Post-match: AS Saint-Etienne (0) 0-1 (0) Hibernian

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_report.thumb.png.7cf8ce9d35825af13a7990faaeae26a1.png

HibsView: Congratulations, you're through to the Quarter-Finals of the Euro Cup II.

Stuniverse: Thank you. We produced an incredibly disciplined performance tonight. Every player knew their job and they performed their jobs magnificently tonight, every one of them stuck to their task. We worked so hard when they had the ball and when we broke, we did so with speed and precision. We didn't have many chances, but we tested the goalkeeper and made him work hard.

On 78 minutes, Lawrence Shankland scored the only goal of the game, from Lewis Morgan's free-kick, with a glancing header. After that we went five at the back, dropped back to very defensive, and defended for our lives. In the last quarter-of-an-hour or so, when you'd expect them to throw everything at us, our goalkeeper, Ofir Marciano, only had one save to make.

Regis Beunardeau (AS Saint-Etienne manager):

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_post_regis_beunardeau.thumb.png.100470673c565dd4df49070d7fa97ad2.png

HibsView: Saint-Etienne's manager Regis Beunardeau claims you were unbelievably lucky to win.

Stuniverse: To be fair, I might be saying the same thing if roles were reversed, but, by the final whistle, we'd scored one goal and his side hadn't scored any. I believe you make your own luck. We worked harder than them, we defended more solidly than them, and we scored the only goal of the game. My players were outstanding tonight and they earnt that victory. They deserved it. 

Over 1,400 Hibees fans travelled to France tonight and boy did they make themselves heard in a crowd of 42,000 at the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard. This one's for them and I wish them all a safe journey home.

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_stats.thumb.png.99001999578bddd651841ecb03425ec1.png

EC_Ko2_StEtienne_analysis.thumb.png.9f1bc147b4a193d3f6d0610f70715181.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 4th March 2023 

Pre-match v Heart of Midlothian (H) - Ladbrokes Premiership (28)

Match Preview

SP28_Hearts_media.thumb.png.d68d2c39544301efe712f57d8c91005c.png

HibsView: You've struggled for fitness as a squad quite a bit after Thursday night away games in Europe. How are you shaping up ahead of entertaining Hearts in the third Edinburgh derby of the season?

Stuniverse: Not too bad, thank you. To be fair, though, every one of my players wants to play in the Edinburgh derby in front of our own fans at Easter Road and you can see that in their attitude and desire in training. We've already beaten Hearts twice this season, 3-2 at Easter Road and 5-1 at Tynecastle Park, and we're confident of giving the Hibees the bragging rights for the third time this season.

SP28_Hearts_preview.thumb.png.c3043dc3de35e4124f90ba45f9bd7d9a.png

Doubtful:
Ross Doohan (calf-90)
Sam Field (ankle-75)

SP28_Hearts_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.e39c44a6a3eb61cce84e9bdc45c0a3ca.png

John Robertson (Hearts manager):

SP28_Hearts_pre_john_robertson.thumb.png.f7287a8c073524c50960e65b51a8ed19.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Sunday 5th March 2023

Hibernian v Heart of Midlothian - Ladbrokes Premiership (28)

Team Selection

SP28_Hearts_selection.thumb.png.d305f2666896bb66b89785976565ab08.png

HibsView: Three changes for the Edinburgh derby.

Stuniverse: Yes. Anthony Ralston has recovered from his ankle injury and returns at right-back with Adam Jackson dropping to the bench. Likewise, James Husband is over his fractured ribs and comes in at left-back for Stephen MacKay. Daryl Horgan is looking sharp again in training and returns to the right-wing, replacing Ben Marshall.

Post-match: Hibernian (2) 4-2 (1) Heart of Midlothian

SP28_Hearts_report.thumb.png.599d017baaa4722e7fe723e04d3d65f2.png

HibsView: A bit of a ding-dong battle, but you've won three out of three Edinburgh derbies this season.

Stuniverse: Yes. I'm delighted we've been able to give our fans, who were magnificent again this afternoon, the bragging rights three time out of three. We weren't at our best, today, I'll admit that, but we still did enough to get the job done.

We got off to another great early start when Lawrence Shankland gave us an 11th minute lead from the penalty spot. Unfortunately, we lost concentration and Hearts equalised three minutes later. Lawrence Shankland put us back ahead on 43 minutes, heading home Anthony Ralston's cross. On the hour mark, Hearts cut through the middle of our midfield and levelled things at 2-2. A minute later, great work by James Husband down the left, set-up Kyle Magennis to hit a long-range screamer into the top corner. After 67 minutes, Curtis Jones played Fraser Hornby clean through and he made it 4-2.

John Robertson (Hearts manager):

SP28_Hearts_post_john_robertson.thumb.png.dce4f861e79dbc46a94710ec71483978.png

SP28_Hearts_post_stuniverse.thumb.png.bf676ca8e9eb70348dbc43bb3015d1ea.png

SP28_Hearts_lgTab.thumb.png.02e56a5bc8db57f27b51211b4c88d7eb.png

HibsView: You're 15 points ahead of 4th placed Hamilton with five matches remaining before the split. You're as good as guaranteed a minimum of 3rd place going into the Championship Group.

Stuniverse: We would've taken that ahead of the season starting so I'm delighted to be so comfortably placed in 3rd. We're only four points behind Rangers, and play at Ibrox Stadium on Thursday night... you just never know.

SP28_Hearts_stats.thumb.png.8fba4f11e72f0079ef744708e56cb698.png

SP28_Hearts_analysis.thumb.png.acded7df93d57a3f372c5fb83ef2efc1.png

Edited by Stuniverse

6 March 2023

MALLAN SIGNS FOR FOUR MORE YEARS

HibsView: Hibernian's 26 year-old midfielder Stevie Mallan has put pen-to-paper on a new contract keeping him at Easter Rad until the summer of 2027.

20230306_Mallan1.thumb.png.f6991be536d687f073c3d35ccb8d571e.png

20230306_Mallan2.thumb.png.f9622ca60698864713ef45e67cfd553c.png

Edited by Stuniverse

32 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

What are Hornby's stats so far? Is he performing well in a supporting role?

Good question, @kingjericho. Fraser Hornby is having his best season of the save. 40(7) appearances, 22 goals, 11 assists with an average rating across all competitions of 7.44.

20230309_Hornby1.png

20230309_Hornby2.png

20230309_Hornby3.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 8th March 2023

Pre-match v Rangers (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership (29)

Match Preview

SP29_Rangers_media.thumb.png.75de21ffe92b06e2ebbf3ca3a85e81d9.png

HibsView: You play Rangers at Ibrox Stadium tomorrow night, and then Hamilton at the Fountain of Youth Stadium on Saturday, how do you prepare for two matches in three days?

Stuniverse: With great difficulty, to be honest. We may have to play a different team in each game. We'll focus on the Rangers game first and then worry about the Hamilton game afterwards.

SP29_Rangers_preview.thumb.png.e7d7b1c0342bd1e0ded889d98037410a.png

HibsView: You're four points behind Rangers. A win would close the gap between you and 2nd place to just one point. Can you do it?

Stuniverse: We beat Rangers 2-1 at Easter Road last time we played them, deservedly so as well, and that gives us confidence. Earlier in the season though, we lost 1-0 to Rangers at Ibrox Stadium and the game wasn't anywhere near as close as the scoreline suggests. No doubt, it's going to be a very difficult challenge for us but you have to go back eight games for the last time we lost and that also fills us with confidence. We'll give it our best shot and see how we get on.

Doubtful:
Ross Doohan (calf-90)

Edited by Stuniverse

Thursday 9th March 2023

Rangers v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership (29)

Team Selection

SP29_Rangers_selection.thumb.png.e2b4c3ce1a49f4a10f240bb476bcca6b.png

HibsView: Just the one change from the Edinburgh derby.

Stuniverse: Yes. Adam Jackson comes back into central defence instead of Connor Johnson.

Post-match: Rangers (0) 0-1 (1) Hibernian

SP29_Rangers_report.thumb.png.c10e896e4a76ab26936083992988a422.png

HibsView: Congratulations. That win puts you just one point behind Rangers.

Stuniverse: Thank you. It was a lot like the Saint-Etienne game if I'm honest. We had to soak up a lot of pressure, work hard, keep closing them down, defend manfully, and counter-attack when we could. Despite Rangers dominating possession, I don't think there was much in it chance-wise, and we got the only goal of the game.

We were under a lot of pressure and our goalkeeper, Ofir Marciano, made some fine saves. Then on 23 minutes we took the lead. Their goalkeeper couldn't hold Stevie Mallan's free-kick and our captain Paul Hanlon pounced to score from the rebound.

SP29_Rangers_5-4-1.thumb.png.daf624d6e97898bcb78ba85f9b33aa24.png

HibsView: You went more and more defensive in the second-half, but were you a little bit lucky with the disallowed goals?

Stuniverse: No. Both goals were rightly chalked off for offside. I don't like playing defensive but, sometimes, you have to do it to improve your chances in the game. We went 5-4-1, very defensive, and defended for our lives. We defended brilliantly and Rangers didn't really look like scoring in the last 20 minutes.

SP29_Rangers_lgTab.thumb.png.cd0b121d7c696036356f3e419fa4e490.png

HibsView: You've beaten Rangers twice, are just one point behind them, with four matches to go before the split. Can you finish second and qualify for the European Champions Cup?

Stuniverse: Qualifying for the European Champions Cup would be an incredible achievement in our first season here. We've put ourselves in a fantastic position but, with nine difficult games left to play, and still having to play catch-up, it won't be easy to get over the line.

SP29_Rangers_stats.thumb.png.45535e8a60d68720dab46dba536610c0.png

SP29_Rangers_analysis.thumb.png.444506a3d56a84712d6bae5b2b47793d.png

Edited by Stuniverse

10 March 2023

GENK IN THE QUARTER-FINAL

HibsView: The last remaining Scottish side in the Euro Cup II, Hibernian, have been drawn against Belgian Pro League A side K Racing Club Genk in the Quarter-Final of the Euro Cup II. Hibs will play the first leg in Belguim with the return leg at home at Easter Road.

20230310_ECII_QF_draw0.thumb.png.4b224fbed927f678f44148634a87ecc9.png

20230310_ECII_QF_draw1.thumb.png.4df1a0b744bc3c2cac60b25759e6d6e0.png

20230310_ECII_QF_draw2.thumb.png.14be27dd21764b192263c40db6dd2d3c.png

Friday 10th March 2023

Pre-match v Hamilton Academical (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership (30)

Match Preview

SP30_Hamilton_media.thumb.png.740abc592e4816cd48b74528574d18eb.png

HibsView: How do you prepare for this match away to Hamilton when you only played Rangers at Ibrox Stadium two days ago?

Stuniverse: Well it's a big ask and I can't believe the SPL scheduled us with two games in three days. We have at least half a dozen players who will be struggling to be fit enough to play Hamilton.

SP30_Hamilton_preview.thumb.png.e78643a43fa87da668ee82f86f2bdddd.png

Doubtful:
Ross Doohan (calf-90)
Anthony Ralston (jaded)
Daryl Horgan (jaded)
Kyle Magennis (jaded)
Lewis Morgan (jaded)
Fraser Hornby (jaded)

SP30_Hamilton_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.c0fa73bb9ff5a4396fbab1de8546d48a.png

Alex Neil (Hamilton Academical manager):

SP30_Hamilton_pre-neil.thumb.png.51174a8a7f985c1441d5e8f782a64a4f.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 11th March 2023

Hamilton Academical v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership (30)

Team Selection

SP30_Hamilton_selection.thumb.png.baddec92b126fb410b8ec717179d208d.png

HibsView: You've made five changes from the Rangers match on Thursday night.

Stuniverse: Yes. Mitch Clark (RB), Ben Marshall (RW), Sam Field (CM), Curtis Jones (LW) and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (SC) come in for Anthony Ralston, Daryl Horgan, Kyle Magennis, Lewis Morgan and Fraser Hornby, who were all tired after their super-human exploits at Ibrox Stadium. Possibly, I should've rested even more players, but I didn't want to completely disrupt the team chemistry.

Post-match: Hamilton Academical (0) 0-1 (0) Hibernian

SP30_Hamilton_report.thumb.png.096652ee1b225490c297428ab08a5067.png

HibsView: You had two tough away matches in three days and you've won them both. Does that speak volumes about your squad?

Stuniverse: Yes. I think it does. I think we've shown over these two games that we have a lot of quality and strength in depth in this squad. They are a fantastic group of players and a pleasure to work with. They work so hard, both collectively and individually, and they needed to in this game because the five changes disrupted the rhythm and understanding we'd built up through consistent team selection over recent weeks. We had to soak up quite a bit of pressure early on, but we defended well and grew into the game creatively and going forward as the game progressed. On 73 minutes, we took the lead when Rushian Hepburn-Murphy put Ben Marshall through to fire a shot into the roof of the net. 

SP30_Hamilton_post-stuniverse.thumb.png.cc004617cd7a08f7158352442a5be9a4.png

SP30_Hamilton_lgTab.thumb.png.7a5c82dab3b9c93331ae64c2e1e6b013.png

HibsView: With Rangers dropping points in a 1-1 draw at home to Kilmarnock, you've gone above them into 2nd place. Can you stay there?

Stuniverse: I don't know, but we're going to give it a damn good try. We've done unbelievably well this season and now we're second with eight games remaining. We'll look to take as many points as we can from Celtic away, Aberdeen at home, and Motherwell away, plus our five games in the Championship Group. We'll then see where we are at the end of 38 games.

SP30_Hamilton_stats.thumb.png.719d69d4df5f1005f7c8ee1a0cb10e9e.png

SP30_Hamilton_analysis.thumb.png.fceb8c322d6a0c4475e45e41c50f705b.png

Edited by Stuniverse

14 March 2023

NINE HIBS INTERNATIONALS

HibsView: Hibernian have nine players called up for International duty.

20230314_six_int.thumb.png.25f810927358e7e9bfb3a5a950dfa7ae.png

20230314_six_int2.thumb.png.5585dc485809fe3841d1e51d593086bc.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Tuesday 14th March 2023

Pre-match v Celtic (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership (31)

Match Preview

SP31_Celtic_media.thumb.png.07f7de44642ec86b89cfb23563b73a53.png

HibsView: You've now proved you can compete admirably with Rangers having beaten them in your last two meetings, including once at Ibrox Stadium, and having overtaken them in the league. Are you ready to compete with Celtic?

Stuniverse: We've played Celtic twice this season at Easter Road in the Premiership, beating them 2-0 in the most recent encounter and lead 3-2 on aggregate across the two fixtures having lost our first league meeting 2-1. So we've been close, scoreline wise, although I don't think the scoreline necessarily told the full story of the games. We have to be realistic though, Celtic are 11 points ahead of us and it's going to be a much tougher challenge at Celtic Park than it would be at Easter Road.

SP31_Celtic_preview.thumb.png.8113ae766fa35e596cc22333d0423d3d.png

HibsView: Rangers drew 1-1 at Livingston last night which must be great news for you in your quest to finish in the top two and qualify for the European Champions Cup.

Stuniverse: I'm surprised Rangers are dropping the points they are of late but we mustn't forget they are a very good side. It does give us an opportunity to capitalise but, remember, we're away at Celtic Park so it won't be easy and we're only above Rangers on goal difference by four goals.

Doubtful:
Ross Doohan (calf-90)

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 15th March 2023

Celtic v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership (31)

Team Selection

SP31_Celtic_selection.thumb.png.1379907f8e9220df0e79adc8fb1bc76c.png

HibsView: Four changes ahead of running out at Celtic Park.

Stuniverse: Yes, that's right. We've picked a team today that we think gives us the most realistic chance of getting something out of this game. Anthony Ralston comes in at right-back for Mitch Clark. Daryl Horgan returns on the right-wing for Ben Marshall and Lewis Morgan comes back on the left-wing for Curtis Jones. Fraser Hornby is back in up front for Rushian Hepburn-Murphy. In Anthony Ralston and Lewis Morgan we have two former Celtic players and we're hoping their experiences playing at Celtic Park will be good for the team and the squad overall.

Post-match: Celtic (2) 4-1 (1) Hibernian

SP31_Celtic_report.thumb.png.4f6d6c88afe04071f8bec5e203590e7b.png

HibsView: How do you react to a heavy loss like that?

Stuniverse: I think Celtic showed, what we already knew, that they're on a different level to everybody else in the Premiership. They were simply too good for us tonight. We set-up 4-4-2 cautious, tried to contain them first-half, and we managed that up to a point but still conceded two by half-time. Did we show Celtic too much respect? Well we went positive, and later attacking after the break, and still conceded another two goals without being able to add to our own goal tally. I think we saw tonight the size of the chasm we're trying to bridge which won't be easy when Celtic can spend £63M on new signings a season.

After half-an-hour we fell behind when Jordan Ross headed in Stuart McJanet's cross at the near post. Then three minutes later, provider turned scorer and we were 2-0 down. Fraser Hornby pulled one back for us in the 35th minute, heading in Lewis Morgan's corner. Two minutes after the restart, Adam Jackson could only partially clear a cross and Celtic went 3-1 up. In added-on time, Mitch Clark and Lewis Morgan got themselves in a right mix-up down our left and Celtic went on to make it 4-1. 

SP31_Celtic_lgTab.thumb.png.9a06351d9a8f49d2e84aa7226fcfbd0f.png

HibsView: Do you want some good news?

Stuniverse: Yes please...

HibsView: You're still 2nd and you only need two more points, by my calculations, from seven matches to guarantee a 3rd place finish minimum for Hibernian.

Stuniverse: That is good news. Hibs finished 5th last season, under Jack Ross, and our aim this season was to finish 3rd and be the best of the rest behind Celtic and Rangers. I don't want to tempt fate, but it looks like we'll achieve that aim, so we now have seven games to see if we can out-pace Rangers and grab 2nd place.

SP31_Celtic_stats.thumb.png.ff1edf2cdb748252851bafecfa0f0e2d.png

SP31_Celtic_analysis.thumb.png.31a17638c03ffcae43dbc806aeef628f.png

Edited by Stuniverse

17 March 2023

HIBS QUALIFY FOR EURO CUP II

HibsView: Following Motherwell's 3-0 defeat at Celtic Park, mathematically the lowest Hibernian can finish this season is 4th, meaning Hibs are guaranteed a place in next season's Euro Cup II.

20230317_ECIIQ1.thumb.png.59a6af0aeaaf0881b6a4969b05952685.png

20230317_ECIIQ2.thumb.png.00e4fe8a5c3906d125d70d2dc9308f39.png

Friday 17th March 2023

Pre-match v Aberdeen (H) - Ladbrokes Premiership (32)

Match Preview

SP32_Aberdeen_media.thumb.png.031e9408bc2f13fc02f609b575507305.png

HibsView: Congratulations on securing a place in next season's Euro Cup II.

Stuniverse: Thank you, but that's a minimum now. We still have a shot at qualifying for the European Champions Cup and we want to win as many points between now and the end of the season as we can in an attempt to seize that massive prize. Besides, we're still in this season's Euro Cup II with a Quarter-Final against Genk to play yet.

SP32_Aberdeen_preview.thumb.png.bc924dfc9f1864864debbde40c9120cb.png

HibsView: Last time out, Aberdeen beat you 3-2 at Pittodrie Stadium. Are you looking to gain revenge?

Stuniverse: Revenge is the wrong word, particularly as they have a new manager in David Moyes. We want to win every game we play and tomorrow's clash at home to Aberdeen is no exception. We want to win because we always want to win football games, no matter who we're playing.

Doubtful:
Ross Doohan (calf-90)
Anthony Ralston (jaded)
Paul Hanlon (jaded)
Daryl Horgan (jaded)
Stevie Mallan (jaded)
Fraser Hornby (jaded)

SP32_Aberdeen_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.d43784d2d5d9bfe6a94dd058cb0ab166.png

David Moyes (Aberdeen manager):

SP32_Aberdeen_pre-moyes.thumb.png.968197e771df1e2a83270ca296b9a404.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 18th March 2023

Hibernian v Aberdeen - Ladbrokes Premiership (32)

Team Selection

SP32_Aberdeen_selection.thumb.png.89ea87a7951a02802eab24ba5b522f04.png

HibsView: Five changes today.

Stuniverse: That's right, yes. We have a few tired payers after the midweek game at Celtic Park so Anthony Ralston, Paul Hanlon, Daryl Horgan, Stevie Mallan and Fraser Hornby all miss out with Mitch Clark, Ryan Porteous, Ben Marshall, Ronan Darcy and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy all start.

Post-match: Hibernian (0) 1-2 (1) Aberdeen 

SP32_Aberdeen_report.thumb.png.0b69455b974f97a3d9ba94ecfca412a9.png

HibsView: A disappointing defeat. How did you see it?

Stuniverse: I think it was one of those games you get sometimes towards the end of a long, hard season. We created plenty of chances, but didn't test the goalkeeper anywhere enough. We looked leggy, lethargic, and tired out there and that happens sometimes. I think the international break has probably come at a good time for us.

We survived an almighty goalmouth scramble in the sixth minute but James Husband conceded a penalty in the 14th minute and Aberdeen took the lead. In the 65th minute we thought we should have had a penalty ourselves but, in the ensuing scramble, Aberdeen somehow put the ball in their own net when a clearance richocheted back off their own player. Very unfortunate for Aberdeen, but we were happy to accept the gift. On 85 minutes, after we'd grazed the crossbar a few minutes earlier, Aberdeen went back in front.

SP32_Aberdeen_3-2W-2-2-1.thumb.png.77bab7c89790dbd46e2f2cc6aabfa634.png

HibsView: You seemed to focus your attacks more down the wings today. Was that by design?

Stuniverse: No. We didn't really know what to expect from Aberdeen under newly appointed David Moyes. They set-up with a lot of players in the middle of the park and for the first 15-20 minutes they were dominating that area. We didn't want to pack out our own midfield so we decided to focus down the wings and try and exploit the gaps out there. It didn't work, though, unfortunately but we did perform better after we'd made that change. I just think my players ran out of steam today and it'll be good to give those players not away with their Nations some time off before reporting back for training again.

SP32_Aberdeen_post-stuniverse.thumb.png.d94d33cb5952eb668245d75df2c74c7e.png

David Moyes (Aberdeen manager):

SP32_Aberdeen_post-moyes.thumb.png.67e9b522cbe5531c538cfec30e69fdc3.png

SP32_Aberdeen_lgTab.thumb.png.d65648f8c91b316f8905dbba15cb1bc9.png

HibsView: The defeat leaves the door open for Rangers to take advantage at Ross County tomorrow.

Stuniverse: It is what it is. There's nothing we can do about that now.

SP32_Aberdeen_stats.thumb.png.c03dd1b12679bbbf8885283dc10e244e.png

SP32_Aberdeen_analysis.thumb.png.2b39d5b184d3bec652df34eb5d8e0ff6.png

Edited by Stuniverse

19 March 2023

HIBS YOUTH CANDIDATES

HibsView: Hiberbnian's Head of Youth Development Eddie May has announced this season's Youth Candidates. This will be a new experience for Hibs manager Stuniverse, given that his former club Falkirk had no Youth Academy, no Youth Recruitment and no Youth Intake Day.

2023_youth1.png

2023_youth3.png

2023_youth2.png

2023_youth4.png

2023_youth5.png

2023_youth6.png

2023_youth7.png

Edited by Stuniverse

19 March 2023

HIBS DROP TO THIRD

HibsView: Rangers took advantage of Hibernian's home defeat to Aberdeen by winning 2-1 at Ross County to move back to 2nd place, three points ahead of Hibs.

20230319_lgTab.thumb.png.c967addaf55cbf49f4edc3209f0d8fe6.png

7 minutes ago, SRL88 said:

Nice little battle you have going on with Rangers there. Celtic miles ahead.

Yes, indeed, @SRL88. A pleasant surprise too. Based on last season, Celtic and Rangers both 30-odd points clear of 3rd, I expected both Celtic and Rangers to be miles ahead and my aim was to be the best of the rest!

2021-22_lgTab.thumb.png.4858eb24af644d100e07b0c36709e6f2.png

Edited by Stuniverse

20 March 2023

HIBERNIAN - APRIL FIXTURES

HibsView: With the international break, Hibernian don't play again until April, when they will reach the Premiership split with an away game at Motherwell, before the two-leg Euro Cup II Quarter-Final against Genk.

Hibs have already guaranteed they will play in the Championship Group after the split.

1_fixtures_Jun-Aug.png

2_fixtures_Sep-Nov.png

3_fixtures_Dec-Feb.png

20230320_fixtures_Mar-Apr.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Friday 31st March 2023

Pre-match v Motherwell (a) - Ladbrokes Premiership (33)

Match Preview

SP33_Motherwell_media.thumb.png.b942545566f4880034f81c65e0f91f06.png

HibsView: Having lost your last two Premiership matches, can you get back to winning ways at Fir Park against a Motherwell side who are 20 points behind you in the Premiership table?

Stuniverse: I'd like to think so, yes, as the home defeat to Aberdeen was a particularly galling one. But last time we played Motherwell at Fir Park, they beat us 1-0 so we're taking nothing for granted.

SP33_Motherwell_preview.thumb.png.99c2f627504c6029e762d1fdd8cbbfc6.png

Unavailable:
Adam Jackson (sudspended), Jack Hendry (thigh)

SP33_Motherwell_pre-stuniverse.thumb.png.f09c88906e97c4a7d7a4a8eb8e048ecd.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Saturday 1st April 2023

Motherwell v Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership (33)

Team Selection

SP33_Motherwell_selection.thumb.png.ba063a698c7c5c601e90367187462d8c.png

HibsView: I make that six changes from the side that lost to Aberdeen.

Stuniverse: Yes. Indeed. After that debacle, we thought we needed to shake things up again. One change is forced, though, Adam Jackson is suspended, allowing our captain Paul Hanlon to return at centre-back. Anthony Ralston comes in at right-back for Mitch Clark. Stephen MacKay starts at left-back in place of James Husband. Daryl Horgan starts on the right-wing instead of Ben Marshall. Stevie Mallan is back in central midfield for Ronan Darcy. Fraser Hornby plays up front with Rushian Hepburn-Murphy sitting on the bench.

Post-match: Motherwell (1) 1-1 (0) Hibernian

SP33_Motherwell_report.thumb.png.88cb6ab4c69c9964336d6bd6a98697e2.png

HibsView: You ended your losing streak, but were you fortunate to get a draw?

Stuniverse: I don't think we were fortunate, no, but we weren't at our best. The game was very even I thought. We could've won it. Motherwell could've won it. A draw was probably a fair result over 90 minutes. The first-half was end-to-end. We had chances, they had chances, but Motherwell struck first, heading in from a 22nd minute corner. It was more of the same after the break. On 54 minutes we equalised when Paul Hanlon headed home Stevie Mallan's free-kick.

SP33_Motherwell_lgTab.thumb.png.963434c0554ca760423ffea7502bca30.png

HibsView: Rangers beat Dundee United 3-0 and are now five points ahead of you. 

Stuniverse: It's going to be challenging to catch Rangers now but we'll keep on fighting for 2nd place whilst it's mathematically possible. Our form is poor of late, one point from our last three games, but not so long ago Rangers 's form wasn't great either and they turned it around. We have to do the same.

SP33_Motherwell_stats.thumb.png.0945b16f7ec182119df5359692667195.png

SP33_Motherwell_analysis.thumb.png.1e342e87b8a8770d08356dfd2db29b47.png

Edited by Stuniverse

2 April 2023

PREMIERSHIP SPLITS IN TWO

HibsView: Hibernian are 3rd in the Premiership after 33 matches and will play their final five fixtures in the Premiership Championship Group.

SPL_split_fixtures1.thumb.png.f75c35e7b8654c4282d5f539cfa13eba.png

SPL_split_fixtures2.thumb.png.f0fcd5e3f4af78f7bea90f6598b6d8a6.png

SP33_Motherwell_lgTab.thumb.png.d03f5f66f04c841c61245ea0850c13b8.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 5th April 2023

Pre-match v K Racing Club Genk (a) - Euro Cup II Quarter-Final, 1st Leg

Match Preview

ECII_QF_1L_media.thumb.png.8610744928ac1a51732e8df68c7991b7.png

HibsView: You played Genk earlier this season in the Group Stage losing 1-0 at the Luminus Arena and drawing 1-1 at Easter Road. It promises to be a tight affair so is it an advantage to be playing the first-leg away, knowing the second-leg will be at home?

Stuniverse: That depends on the result tomorrow night. Playing the second-leg at Easter Road is only an advantage if we're still alive in the tie after 90 minutes in Belgium.

ECII_QF_1L_preview.thumb.png.5e149f7bfb7cd6507623a6cea83de95b.png

Doubtful:
Lawrence Shankland (jaded)
Fraser Hornby (jaded)

ECII_QF_1L_pre_stuniverse.thumb.png.84b1cd73309ffc2c1c143c279597e4f4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Thursday 6th April 2023

K Racing Club Genk v Hibernian - Euro Cup II Quarter-Final, 1st Leg

Team Selection

ECII_QF_1L_selection.thumb.png.fc073c3b06bd932919466b7cce4645f4.png

HibsView: You've made five changes and, surprisingly, Shankland and Hornby are both on the bench. What's your thinking there?

Stuniverse: Yes. Our medical team have been saying for a couple of weeks that Lawrence Shankland and Fraser Hornby need a rest and, reluctantly, I've decided to rest them both tonight. Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Curtis Jones come in for them. Adam Jackson returns to central defence instead of Ryan Porteous. James Husband comes in at left-back for Stephen MacKay. Ben Marshall replaces Daryl Horgan on the right-wing.

Post-match: K Racing Club Genk (1) 2-1 (1) Hibernian

ECII_QF_1L_report.thumb.png.dd590993cfb3fb3fa176165a204ed221.png

HibsView: A goal up, but you ended up losing.

Stuniverse: Yes. We worked hard tonight but we lacked that clinical, quality in the key moments. After defending superbly in the first-half, we took a 43rd minute lead when Ben Marshall scored after Stevie Mallan's free-kick deflected into his path. Sadly, we were unable to hold onto that lead and Genk were level with a header before the break. And after 65 minutes, Genk took the lead with another header that went in off the underside of the bar.

ECII_QF_1L_post-stuniverse.thumb.png.b10d65212692398d7ccd5867f4c1e98b.png

HibsView: You only lost by a single goal and you have an away goal to boot. You're very much still in it going into the second-leg at Easter Road.

Stuniverse: Yeah. Yes, we are. It's very much up to us now to get the job done at Easter Road.

ECII_QF_1L_stats.thumb.png.0d8188a7353a1d2e991d1ce2e4f2811f.png

ECII_QF_1L_analysis.thumb.png.35dd3012f627ca4a3761839f9a2e7aee.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 12th April 2023

Pre-match v K Racing Club Genk (H) - Euro Cup II Quarter-Final, Second Leg

Match Preview

ECII_QF_2L_media.thumb.png.3d97b379364786ffc159938f69810e2f.png

HibsView: You're 2-1 down from the first-leg, but with a vital away goal. Can you get through to the semi-final?

Stuniverse: We gave the players a few days off after the first-leg in Belguim and training's been very good since they reported back. We'll need the Hibees fans to get right behind us at Easter Road and we'll give it our best.

ECII_QF_2L_preview.thumb.png.9ed0c0dc2830fc68a7566b9d9d6686ff.png

Doubtful:
Fraser Hornby (jaded)

ECII_QF_2L_goal_rcord1.thumb.png.b6c722491f074133ed3c5f7f2e7e39b0.png

Edited by Stuniverse