Matt's TTF Set

G`day Matt, I have been using your v2 tactics and have now upgraded to v3. At first i could not believe it, leading 3-0 after 12 mins with Barrow in the BSP then after around 30 mins it is like all my guys give up and the opposition totally controls the game. The AI did not change tactics, most of my guys had 'playing with confidence, motivated and the final score finished 3-2 with my side getting away with 3 points which should have been 1 or 0.

The next 3 games follow very similar patterns, go up early in the half then for some reason i crumble. I have tried changing tactics eg defensive, standard etc depending on the situation but nothing seems to combat the 2nd half flop.

My team talks are set to the correct ones as i check after the game with my assistant and 3-4 players have morale boost, motivated etc so i am stumped what to do!!

Do you have any recommendations or any tweaks that i should do ?

Thanks.

Could be a problem with team gelling maybe. Try Urlachers suggestion.

:D:D

hey matt great news on the attack for V3

i manage Man Utd

VS Chelsea won 2:0

Vs Chelsea drew 3:3

Vs Man City won 2:1

Vs Barcelona won 4:1

Vs Liverpool won 6:0!!!!

amazing results

but for the Man City match and chelsea's away Uefa CL match i didnt feel i would be the fav so i used the "control" tactic and found myself losing 2:1(Chelsea) and 1:0(City) at half times and had to change back to the "Att" tactic

but the Barce match and Liverpool match just absolutely blitz my opponent I will play a few more matches and keep u updated :thup::D

Good work.

I mentioned in one of my ealier posts that I drop the defensive line deep in the BSP as the long ball gets used a lot, so it may be worth trying that.

Good idea.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
V3 BETA is awsome, i have been following your guidlines of which tactic to use and its working well..... i was struggling in the early part of the season with Man City besides spending 60million on arshavin, zirkov, riquelme +some other upcoming players. i downloaded this tactic last night and i have played 10 league matches so far and not lost any yet.

I am not sure wether this is a good thing or a bad thing but...

I was away to Chelsea and i was huge underdogs, so i started the game with "shut up shop" I went 2-0 up by half time. and ended up winning 3-2. I have now won my last 6 league games and i am sitting 8th 4 pts off 4th with 15games played.

I will post my reults later when i get home from work.....

this is a fantastic tactic, My only flaw is the Control tactic, it doesnt score much for me, any ideas? I havent sold any players and have purchased the 3 big names above.

Cheers

conners

Not sure about Control, that has the most aggressive mentality/forward runs/defensive line/closing down/creative freedom of all the tactics. Lots of crosses too, give it time to gel.

Cheers Matt !!

Had tremendous success using the V1 tactics with my Maidenhead Utd team. Won promotion through the playoffs and am now currently 6th in BSP in January of my 1st season. Started of the new season really well, won 9 out of 10 but seem to have hit a rut and results are slipping so I'm gonna give the V3 beta a whirl and see what happens.

Certainly the best tactic set I've used on any of the latest incarnations of the FM Series.

I think you've pretty much cracked the V3 set Matt.

My record so far is W7 D5 L2 but performances deserve better than that. Especially at home, I've been fantastic.

I've also beat Derby County (the team I support in real life!) away 2-1 in the cup which was very satisfying, and then drew 1-1 away with Aston Villa (top 6 PL) away, but crumbled to lose 5-1 in extra time which was wierd.

Only problems I have is using the Def tactic away. I've noticed the midfielders just stand off, and a gap can form between the strikers and midfielders. Also allowing them to play, you know what FM is like, you tend to allow them long shots, and they score 1 every 3 or 4.

I don't think this is tactics related at all, but I'm constantly hitting the woodwork, especially from corners. The amount of times my CB has hit the bar from corners, I'm talking once every 2 games!

I'll report back later to see if my 2nd half of season crumbled like my first year.

Only problems I have is using the Def tactic away. I've noticed the midfielders just stand off, and a gap can form between the strikers and midfielders. Also allowing them to play, you know what FM is like, you tend to allow them long shots, and they score 1 every 3 or 4.

I don't think this is tactics related at all, but I'm constantly hitting the woodwork, especially from corners. The amount of times my CB has hit the bar from corners, I'm talking once every 2 games!

I had the same issue with the Defensive tactic. That's why I'm stuck on Attack, Shut up Shop and Control (only in Europe vs. much weaker sides).

As for the framework - check somewhere in the 3d Match engine post. It's a reported bug. I think I top the record there with 8 hits on the woodwork in a single match :D

Thanks for the specific feedback guys, keep playing with all the tactics and keep the specific feedback coming. In light of what has been said, i will look to slightly increase the closing down of defensive for the two central midfielder's.

Ah Matt I think I've just realised my problem, or helped me a little with the def tactics.

I tried it away at Sheff Wed and then Oldham, two tough games, but by playing my 2 fastest strikers, I was on the shoulders of the defenders. I must have had 3 or 4 one on ones during the game, and i'm pretty sure it forced back the oppositions defenders, which then allowed my midfield more posession.

I drew 0-0 away at Sheff Wed (hit post 3 times) and then won 1-0 away at Oldham, in which they rarely had many chances. Lovin these V3 tactics, I'm really starting to dominate my games now. Also helps me by playing a creative AM in RCM position, the amount of quality throughballs he's playing is remarkable.

Just wanted to post to say a thankyou, i was really struggling with tactics and decided to give this one a go (V2) and have been using mainly the standard and defensive setups with the info in the first post about which formation to use and i have started off the season in fine form, won all five games and not conceded a goal whilst scoring plenty. Thankyou Matt!!! I hope my season continues the way it has started!!

tableok4.th.jpg

lol the game after i posted this was at home to Preston who were 23rd and i was 1/6 so my first chance to use the Attack tactic! Well i conceded my first goal...and my second and my third and my fourth lol, i was 4-1 up at half time and it ended up 4-4, i suppose i should of switched to a more safe tactic at half time, i did switch to standard at 4-2 but that didn't help!

I have marginally increased closing down on the central midfielder's when using Defensive, and it seems to be working well.

Also, an important update on instructions for dealing with play makers.

Use OI's on them. Use tight marking, tackling hard and show onto weaker foot unless bravery is 15 or higher, and weak foot accuracy is strong/very strong. Do not use OI's to close them down, as players will get dragged out of position. This seems to work better than manually man marking them from within the tactics screen.

Matt, can I use this for lowerleague teams aswel for big teams?

Yes it worked wonders for me in League 1. With regard to the FCd, if you don't have a naturally strong, tall and creative player to fulfil this role then lower creative freedom. But this player needs to be a strong forward to hold up the ball.

I'm having de ja vu. 2nd until December, them implode. I'm again now outside the playoffs after a winless run of 7. It's taking the mickey now...

My 'prolific' strikers haven't scored once in those games.

Also just had a strange game, lost 1-0 at home to Rochdale. I had 14 shots, 5 clearcut chances, I kid you not, Rochdale had 0 shots and 0 corners haha. An own goal was the difference... strange! Had 3 consecutive 1-0 defeats despite dominating each game during the run.

Performances are still very good, I'm either extremely unlucky or FM just wants to annoy me.

Matt, can I use this for lowerleague teams aswel for big teams?
I'm having de ja vu. 2nd until December, them implode. I'm again now outside the playoffs after a winless run of 7. It's taking the mickey now...

My 'prolific' strikers haven't scored once in those games.

Also just had a strange game, lost 1-0 at home to Rochdale. I had 14 shots, 5 clearcut chances, I kid you not, Rochdale had 0 shots and 0 corners haha. An own goal was the difference... strange! Had 3 consecutive 1-0 defeats despite dominating each game during the run.

Performances are still very good, I'm either extremely unlucky or FM just wants to annoy me.

Do you have a lot of player aged 24 or younger in your first team? If you do its pretty common to go on win less/losing streaks, i am finding that currently. Either on a winning or a losing streak.

I find its also best to sympathise if you lose games but your players get decent ratings ie 6.5 and over. Try to keep morale up as best as possible.

Just started 3º Season with SLBenfica in Portugal , im using this tactic size the 1º game on this save...

Nice results and i go to change to the V3 on season 4º ...

1º Season..

1º on the League , 1º on the Portugal Cup , 1º on league cup , semi finals on UEFA cup .

2º Season..

1º on the League , 1º on the Portugal Cup , 1º on league cup , win SuperCup , Final on Champions League "lose 3-1 with real madrid " .

3º Season.. just in novembre :)

win SuperCup ..

4º Season - Go to put the V3 on test, if i dont like i go back for the 1s tactic hehe

PS: i use allways the Attack tactic , only use the defensive against very dificult teams and away...

Just started 3º Season with SLBenfica in Portugal , im using this tactic size the 1º game on this save...

Nice results and i go to change to the V3 on season 4º ...

1º Season..

1º on the League , 1º on the Portugal Cup , 1º on league cup , semi finals on UEFA cup .

2º Season..

1º on the League , 1º on the Portugal Cup , 1º on league cup , win SuperCup , Final on Champions League "lose 3-1 with real madrid " .

3º Season.. just in novembre :)

win SuperCup ..

4º Season - Go to put the V3 on test, if i dont like i go back for the 1s tactic hehe

PS: i use allways the Attack tactic , only use the defensive against very dificult teams and away...

Glad you are having so much success. :)

Matt how does the opponent scouting report affect your decision on which tactic to go with? For example I am a big underdog away for my next game however the pitch we are on is very short which typically wouldn't call for direct passing or a deep line as there is not much space behind the defenders.

Would you still employ the defensive tactic as is? Or should I go standard even though I am big underdog?

Matt how does the opponent scouting report affect your decision on which tactic to go with? For example I am a big underdog away for my next game however the pitch we are on is very short which typically wouldn't call for direct passing or a deep line as there is not much space behind the defenders.

Would you still employ the defensive tactic as is? Or should I go standard even though I am big underdog?

Good question, practice makes perfect for decisions like these. I would go with defensive, and be sure to nullify the threat from their play maker (if they use one). Tight mark him, close down always, tackle hard and show onto weaker foot, and use appropriate oi's on their danger man as reported by your scout.

how do you tell if they are suing a playmaker? Are you just assuming if they have a player with high attributes in CF, passing, and decisions that he will be their playmaker?

thanks for your help this is good stuff

I look at their last game or two and look for the defensive midfielder with the most passes/key passes, although this is not always correct so sometimes i will pause the game after 10 minutes and check then, if i am still unsure i will check every ten minutes until i find out who it is. If you are dominating possession its unlikely they are using one, but it seems most teams do.

Just wanted to say thanks Mat for the tactics, I am using the V2 Tactics at the moment for Wycombe Wanderers (GO the chairboys!) in L2 Coca-cola league.

I had tried myself to put together a tactics set from the info from TTF Pdf and WWfan's and co. info, but did not have much success. Since using your tactics I have not lost a game in just under 20 games (not all wins but I would say the majority). Sitting in 3rd place in L2 and looking sharp !

Thanks again and good job !

I mentioned in one of my ealier posts that I drop the defensive line deep in the BSP as the long ball gets used a lot, so it may be worth trying that.

Thanks mate, after3 games using this approach and mainly ONLY using 'attack' and 'standard' formations my team play much much better as a unit.

On a different note, i have made it through to the FA cup 3rd round and have been paired vs Man Utd at home! Maybe this could come true for the bluebirds after this weekends 2nd round game vs Brentford.

results havent been great but to me they are working

Sunderland v

Fulham (A) - Won 2-0 (used Defensive as was underdog)

Man U (A) - Lost 2-0 (used defensive and done well)

Northampton (H) - Won 3-0 (used attach first half standard second and was 3-0 at the break)

Chelsea (H) - Lost 1-0 (used Defensive had a couple of chances to equalise)

Liverpool (H) - Lose 2-0 (was out playing them using defensive but made the mistake of shifting to standard and then conceeded twice)

V3 to me seems to be working better then V2.

Must add that I have a very hard working (high tackling & work rate) midfielders, so I simply give instructions to tackle hard and close down every one in the opposition midfield. the only teams I'm having issues with are the ones using Playmakers. Thou actually reading what Matt wrote about the opposition playmaker helps incredibly.

The issues with V3 to me continue to be the Normal and Defensive formations, which gave away possession far too cheaply, leaving the opposition to do whatever it pleases.

On the other hand - Attack works flawlessly. Control is useful only vs. much weaker sides, but when it works - it annihilates the opposition. Shut up the Shop is very useful in the last 10 minutes of the game, as it just ... well - shuts down the shop :D

IMO, Matt's V3 is better then the previous. With V2 I was still winning, but it was a bit trickier. Defensive and Standart were working better there then with V3, but that's just me and my team I guess.

Yeah, but I've tried all the others before now and they've worked. Ah well V2 still kicks ass.

I have had also few problems with V3. I will switch back to V2, hopefully my players still remember that kind of settings and will not take another 10 games to understand them again.

@speedphlux

I believe V3 changed just defensive and standard. Attack and control are the same tactics as in V2 if i am not wrong.

Demonstration Match of the new look V3 Beta 2 defensive/Counter formation. Using radical new settings, standing off, waiting for the perfect chance before launching a deadly counter attack. Aggressive tackling and closing down of the opposition play maker only.

Download Link

http://rapidshare.com/files/168225759/Bristol_City_v_Bristol_Rovers.pkm

I started using V2 In january of my first season with United. I'd struggled badly up to that point and Arsenal, having been like a freight train, were out of sight in the league. Things picked up almost immediately and I went on a 10 game unbeaten run. Stuck with the tactic for the rest of the season and although it wasn't free-scoring, I was picking up plenty of wins. Finished the league in 3rd, lost on pens in the final of the CL to Barca and beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final.

One minor change I made was to make the FCd's FWD Runs to Rarely for the standard, attacking and control versions, to encourage him to drop deeper.

Stuck with it in pre-season and had some successful results including a very comfortable 2-0 away win at PSV. The season has started really well too and I am top of the league with 6 wins out of 6. What's more, I am scoring goals more freely. I don't know whether this is because the players have got used to the tactic or because I altered the strikers training schedule, upping the shooting training to maximum. Either way, I don't care, I'm scoring goals!

Nice tactic Matt.

I'm finding with the V3 tactics, especially Control and Attacking, the left hand side striker scores WAY more often than the right, is it crucial that the right side striker has the instruction that they carry, or can I just copy the left side instructions to the right side and laugh manically as the goals fly in?

I've been using the V3 tactics, mainly the Control and Defensive set-ups.

Theres no doubt there playing better with this tactic then my own, which was a shambles, but when I read through this thread, and see people winning 5 or 6 nil against some major clubs, I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Heres me team (Spurs)....

GK: Gomes

RB: Corluka

CB: King

CB: Woodgate

LB: Bale

RM: Bentley

CMd: Palombo (Perfect stats for this role, according to your guide)

CMa: L Gonzalez (Against, near perfect stats according to your guide for this position)

LM: M Fernandez

FCd: V G Hasselink (Again, according to your guideline for this role, a player who should fit right in)

FCa: Pavyluchenko

But against Premier League teams, even poorer ones like Hull, there seems to be a very thin line between winning and losing. And my strikers are getting awful ratings. The only two players who are really performing are Bale and Palombo, who has been a beast in midfield.

V3 Matts TTF Set Final (Hopefully :))

OK after taking on board some feedback, and gathering my own thoughts on things i decided to rebuild the set from relative scratch.

I have decided to put my 5 tactic sets into 5 category's. So its simple for people to see what they do, and what they don't do. And whilst i have my theory's on what you should use and when, this will allow you to decide, and for you to learn for yourselves which ones of these tactics is going to work best and in what situation.

Attack

High Mentality

Med/High Creative Freedom

High Defensive Line

High Closing Down

Minimal Marking

Slow Tempo

Width

Short Passing

Low Time wasting

Stengths

Aggressive and attacking play should allow you to effectively dominate play, as much as the opposition will allow you. Attacks will be built slowly, and will generally come down the wings. If you are a favourite, then this will probably see your side playing to its potential.

Weakness

With a high defensive line slow defenders could be caught out, particularly if the cpu is playing counter attack, use target man run onto ball.

Sides that park the bus and dominate possession. Why? Because these sides typically use a deep play maker who simple passes the ball between the back four until he can play a through ball or a rushed clearance. Typically he will wait for a space to appear before launching a pass. Even with the high defensive line and closing down settings, attack can struggle against a side playing this way.

Control

Very High Mentality

High Creative Freedom

Very High Defensive Line

Very High Closing Down

Minimal Marking

Slowest Tempo

Widest Width

Shortest Passing

Lowest Time wasting

Strengths

A beefier attack, effective against sides that park the bus from the outset, and will have no intention of attacking the whole game or until they change formation/2nd half arrives/they go 2-0 down. Effective in the final minutes when you need everyone pushing forward.

Weakness

Counter attack, losing possession pretty much anywhere on the pitch.

Standard

Mid/High Mentality

Med Creative Freedom

Normal Defensive Line

Normal/High Closing Down

Defenders Man Mark - Midfield Tight Mark

Normal Tempo

Normal Width

Normal Passing

Normal Time wasting

Stengths

Offering decent protection and decent options in attack. This tactic can defend and attack in equal moderation. Counter attacks can happen but are rare. Still possible to dominate teams with this tactic when used correctly.

Weakness

IF wrongly used will see you fail to attack or defend well.

Can be owned by a play maker if the user does not take the appropriate action.

Defensive

Low/Mid Mentality

Low/Selective Creative Freedom

Deepish Defensive Line

Low Closing down

Man and Tight Marking (Excluding Forwards)

Quick Tempo

Narrow Width

Normal/Direct Passing

High Tme wasting

Stengths

When used correctly is deadly, so effective when the you are the underdog. Draw them onto you, and only close down when the perfect opportunity arrives. Beautiful to watch. Tight defensively. Soaks up pressure.

Weakness

You invite pressure, so there will be times when counter attack does not work. Because of the invited pressure, you need to accept that the opposition will have chances, but if you let their play maker play, you will pay for it. Because the midfield tight mark already, just close down, tackle hard and show onto weaker foot for the play maker.

Shut Up Shop

Low Mentality

Low Creative Freedom

Deep Defensive Line

Lowest Closing down

Man and Tight Marking

Slowest Tempo

Narrow Width

Direct Passing

Highest Tme wasting

Stengths

Take some of that you stupid gay unrealistic piece of crap cpu ai i win button. :) Can lead to counter attack and seal the game goals. Seconds can turn into minutes as clock ticks down.

Weakness

Inviting pressure, saying to the cpu, we are not interested in attacking, we are happy to defend out right. Sometimes, the cpu gets lucky and scores.

FAQ's

I am playing Attack/Any other tactic and the cpu is having all the possession.

More than likely they are using a play maker or you are using a tactic that is too aggressive for the quality of opponent you are facing, remember match odds go up and down based on a current sides form. To effectively deal with a play maker you must first accept that some play makers are players that you just cannot keep out of a game, if they have technique good first touch etc then they will find a way to keep playing. However, you can stem their output somewhat by using opposition instructions to close them down, tackle hard and show onto weaker foot. If using the attack or control tactics you may also wish to tight mark.

I am not sure what to pick and when?

Use this as a rough guide, once you become familiar use you own knowledge to decide what to use and when, i don't know how good your decision of team talks and player abilities are.

Playing against a side 3 or 4 leagues below you Control

Clear Favourites Attack

Very Close Odds Standard

Underdog Defensive

Extreme Underdog Shut Up Shop

I have played a few games but its not working

You have to give it time to gel. Do you have players still blending into the squad? I would say a bare minimum of 15-20 games for a tactics to gel, even more with certain unsettled sides like Spurs.

Which type of forward goes where?

Creative and strong left striker, fast and finisher right striker.

I am using Standard/Defensive but the opposition just seem to be playing through/around me?

Use your initiative, pause the game, look at the oppositions player stats? Are they using a midfield play maker, does he has 50 passes attempted, 45 complete, 8 key passes? That is why, take action.

You chose the wrong team talk, you chose the wrong tactic. Try using Attack to close down more over the pitch (not advisable if the opposition is superior.

My Strikers are not scoring enough goals?

Either you strikers are not good enough, or you are not motivating/training them properly. I have two Strikers who are rated as Good championship players in the top 10 goal scorers for the championship using this set.

My question is not answered here

Post here or pm me.

Download Links

http://rapidshare.com/files/168268485/Matts_Tacs_V3_Final_Build.rar

More links provided upon request (this is so i can monitor how much this set is downloaded as i have a rapidshare premium account, and dont worry you won't have to wait to download these

Previous Version Links

V1

http://rapidshare.com/files/164362968/MattsTacs.rar

V2

http://rapidshare.com/files/166951515/Matts_Tacs_V2.rar

Mattbuck: Does the player instructions follow with? Or do i have to change them myself?

Player instructions are already setup within the tactics, no need to change them.

Mattbuck what is the last link you posted? it is some file .pkm? ;\

and which tactic would you recommend for manchester city ?

there are lots of versions and stuff you posted >.< i am confused and lazy to try them all

Try the set i posted above V3 Final Build, and the Pkm file was a preview match of my defensive tactic in action.

I've been using the V3 tactics, mainly the Control and Defensive set-ups.

Theres no doubt there playing better with this tactic then my own, which was a shambles, but when I read through this thread, and see people winning 5 or 6 nil against some major clubs, I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Heres me team (Spurs)....

GK: Gomes

RB: Corluka

CB: King

CB: Woodgate

LB: Bale

RM: Bentley

CMd: Palombo (Perfect stats for this role, according to your guide)

CMa: L Gonzalez (Against, near perfect stats according to your guide for this position)

LM: M Fernandez

FCd: V G Hasselink (Again, according to your guideline for this role, a player who should fit right in)

FCa: Pavyluchenko

But against Premier League teams, even poorer ones like Hull, there seems to be a very thin line between winning and losing. And my strikers are getting awful ratings. The only two players who are really performing are Bale and Palombo, who has been a beast in midfield.

Try the V3 Final Build Set posted above.

Here is another example of how a Counter Attacking strategy should be employed within the football manager engine. Standing off, drawing the opposition onto you, and then, and only then, attack.

Look at my shots at around 70 minutes, compared to my goals scored (2nd match). You will see what i mean, Clinical.

1st Match against a much better side

http://rapidshare.com/files/168225759/Bristol_City_v_Bristol_Rovers.pkm

2nd Match against a much better side

http://rapidshare.com/files/168290084/Leeds_v_Bristol_Rovers.pkm

I started using V2 In january of my first season with United. I'd struggled badly up to that point and Arsenal, having been like a freight train, were out of sight in the league. Things picked up almost immediately and I went on a 10 game unbeaten run. Stuck with the tactic for the rest of the season and although it wasn't free-scoring, I was picking up plenty of wins. Finished the league in 3rd, lost on pens in the final of the CL to Barca and beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final.

One minor change I made was to make the FCd's FWD Runs to Rarely for the standard, attacking and control versions, to encourage him to drop deeper.

Stuck with it in pre-season and had some successful results including a very comfortable 2-0 away win at PSV. The season has started really well too and I am top of the league with 6 wins out of 6. What's more, I am scoring goals more freely. I don't know whether this is because the players have got used to the tactic or because I altered the strikers training schedule, upping the shooting training to maximum. Either way, I don't care, I'm scoring goals!

Nice tactic Matt.

Which United is that then... didn't realiuse there was just one :p

Archived