Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Any fix for my problem?

You receive the ‘Error: Application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection.

Fix:

1) Open IE and go to: https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com

2) Here if you are using IE7 it will prompt you – “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

3) Next, Click – “Continue to this website (not recommended)”. However – this is okay, it is safe.

4) Look up top at your IE address bar – you will see “Certificate Error”. Click this box, then click “View Certificates”.

5) Press, “Install Certificate…”

6) Select the “Place all certificates in the following store”.

7) Press “Browse”

8) Select “Trusted Root Certificate Authorities”. Not this will install the Go Daddy (a reputable) certificate into your trusted root certificate authorities if it is not there.

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com/.

Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

1) Reopen your FM2009 game

2) Enter your key into the Activation Dialog

3) Select the “Online” activation

4) Press Next

You game should activate immediately.

If you are install the certificate incorrectly, the error message will still be visible – for more help on installing correctly, please visit:

http://www.thebitguru.com/articles/13-Importing%2520a%2520Trusted%2520Root%2520Certification%2520Authority%2520in%2520Windows%2520Vista/188-Installing%2520the%2520Certificate

Please note: You will require your system clock to be set correctly, failure to do so will cause an error with HTTPS. Please therefore ensure your system time and date are set correctly.

Ok, if this is in the technical forum I'll leave it to those guys.

Could you give some status?

Do those guys working on this problem or at least acknowledge it.

I only saw people are complaining about the problem but no SI people reply to confirm.

You receive the ‘Error: Application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection.

Fix:

2) Here if you are using IE7 it will prompt you – “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

3) Next, Click – “Continue to this website (not recommended)”. However – this is okay, it is safe.

4) Look up top at your IE address bar – you will see “Certificate Error”. Click this box, then click “View Certificates”.

7) Press “Browse”

8) Select “Trusted Root Certificate Authorities”. Not this will install the Go Daddy (a reputable) certificate into your trusted root certificate authorities if it is not there.

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com/.

Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

4) Press Next

If you are install the certificate incorrectly, the error message will still be visible – for more help on installing correctly, please visit:

http://www.thebitguru.com/articles/13-Importing%2520a%2520Trusted%2520Root%2520Certification%2520Authority%2520in%2520Windows%2520Vista/188-Installing%2520the%2520Certificate

Please note: You will require your system clock to be set correctly, failure to do so will cause an error with HTTPS. Please therefore ensure your system time and date are set correctly.

is that the new url?

• SI Staff
Could you give some status?

Do those guys working on this problem or at least acknowledge it.

I only saw people are complaining about the problem but no SI people reply to confirm.

Can you give me a URL in there?

Hi, Ive installed a boxed version of fm 09 on my vista laptop, it installed fine, but when i try and open editor a message comes up, which is....

c:\users\christopher\appdata\local\microsoft\windo ws\gameexplorer\{BE416EA4-4...\rundataeditor.lnk

The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

I then installed the patch and this message still comes up.

As marc has said, as of yet he doesnt have a solution for this problem, is it worth me just uninstalling the game, and then reinstaling?

Guys i've figured out what the problem is when the game keeps coming up....

the game loads perfectly and everything is fine until it comes to my first match, and as soon as i try to make a substitution the game crashes and a message comes up saying that a file has been created in the fm09 folder. this folder is a crash dumps folder and the files that are in there all read "FM 2009 v9.1.0.26064". after that comes up, the game automatically shut it's self down.

I'm willing to bet that everyone that is suffering this problem did exactly what i did and put the "graphics" folder into the C\sports interactive\fm...etc instead of into the my documents sports interactive file like they are supposed to. I was about to uninstall when i noticed this mistake, corrected it and now everything is working perfectly.

Just want to say sorry to the si programmers who i've been harrassing about this. it was my mistake, my fault. great work on a good game guys!!!!!

Hi Marc,

Apologies if this isn't the way to do it (i've set up an account on here just yesterday so havent made any posts yet).

I'm having numerous problems. if i install 'offline', i get fm.exe has encountered problems, and if i install through steam and then the update gets to 100% then i press 'play game', absolutely nothing happens.

to solve the first problem, i've tried to download the windows 2.0 framework or whatever thing which hasnt worked, and i have no idea how to olve the issue via steam.

literally nothing happens (yet curiously, my mate is also on steam, and it says 'liam is now playing football manager 2009' on his computer when clearly im not.

by the way, a lot of people on here seem to be being unreasonable, i think its commendable you are trying to help everyone.

thanks

Liam

• SI Staff
Hi, Ive installed a boxed version of fm 09 on my vista laptop, it installed fine, but when i try and open editor a message comes up, which is....

c:\users\christopher\appdata\local\microsoft\windo ws\gameexplorer\{BE416EA4-4...\rundataeditor.lnk

The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

As marc has said, as of yet he doesnt have a solution for this problem, is it worth me just uninstalling the game, and then reinstaling?

I'd just bypass the editor for the next couple of days till the dust settleson the activation issues.

• SI Staff
Mark, I av tried dat agen and Im beign asked for a password and stuff, wats going on?

That page is only to check if you have a certificate error. If you don't see any error you should be good to go.

• SI Staff
Hi Marc,

Apologies if this isn't the way to do it (i've set up an account on here just yesterday so havent made any posts yet).

I'm having numerous problems. if i install 'offline', i get fm.exe has encountered problems, and if i install through steam and then the update gets to 100% then i press 'play game', absolutely nothing happens.

to solve the first problem, i've tried to download the windows 2.0 framework or whatever thing which hasnt worked, and i have no idea how to olve the issue via steam.

literally nothing happens (yet curiously, my mate is also on steam, and it says 'liam is now playing football manager 2009' on his computer when clearly im not.

by the way, a lot of people on here seem to be being unreasonable, i think its commendable you are trying to help everyone.

thanks

Liam

Liam, some new issues on me here. Have you thought about uninstalling and not going the Steam route?

• SI Staff
hey im still getting the 'cannot connect' problem. ive dun it all thru steam. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=62568 the solutions suggested here dont hrlp because i clicked on the link and on the soft anchor website it asked for a username and password ? Do you have an idea or a solution so that i can play? :( lol, kind reagrds.

Yes, visiting that page is just to get an idea if you see a certificate error.

That page is only to check if you have a certificate error. If you don't see any error you should be good to go.

mark, I keep typing in my product code but stil i keep getting, it could not be activated because it could not connect to internet. what do i do?

c:\users\christopher\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\gameexplorer\{BE416EA4-4...\rundataeditor.lnk

As marc has said , he currently has no solution for this problem as of yet, so is it worth me just uninstalling then reinstalling, and hoping it works.

hey all, stressed to the max here!! have been trying to install this damn game all day!

getting the Error: [-821] message but can't find any certificates in the places mentioned. Installed copy through Steam and running on Vista.

also tried closing the applications on task manager and have totally reinstalled whole thing several times but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

bought my copy in glasgow this morning... please help

Have you tried playing in windowed mode, and seeing if that sorts it for you?

I've been trying for over six hours to sort this problem, my windowed option in greyed out so i cant select or de-select it, i have followed the advice given by marc still no joy, this is a joke. The game keeps freezing do you know how to sort it, yes or no?

• SI Staff
As marc has said , he currently has no solution for this problem as of yet, so is it worth me just uninstalling then reinstalling, and hoping it works.

You could do, but I doubt it will work.

• SI Staff
marc, any word on the new address yet for authenication problems yet?

I posted the amended steps above but I dont think this is having any effect. Do you get any certificate errors on that website?

I've installed FM2009 on to my laptop and when I go to launch it I get the following message :

fm.exe - unable to locate component

this application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I've re-installed it several times but it still doesn't work. I've downloaded the patch but that doesn't help either.

I've loaded it on to my old base unit pc and it works ok, so any ideas why it won't work on my more up to date laptop ?

Fix:

7) Press “Browse”

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com. Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

4) Press Next

This still doesn't work Marc, it activated first time on my main PC but no luck after about 400 trys on laptop. Why on earth have we been asked to go through this crazy process? All we want to do is install the game and play. Its such a shame that a brilliant game has lost all credibility, it saddens me.

Hey guys

I've got onto the game, and it looks really good. I'm just having a few problems. Well one main one really.

For no apparent reason, while playing, at random intervals, the game decides to minimise itself, and my laptop goes into 'hibernation' mode.

My spec is above the required needed, and it doesn't happen at any other time, only when playing the game. It is also quite random. However, when it does happen, and I try to make my laptop return to the normal state to return to the game, it gets back to the main screen, and then returns straight to the 'hibernation' mode. Again, its never happened before, and it only happens while I'm on the game. Its very frustrating and I don't know if there actually is anyway to fix it?!

Also, I bought the game physically, not downloading it. But I don't have to have the CD in the drive to play the game... is this normal?

Any help would be most appreciated. I'm not very good with computers, all I know is that it must be something to do with the game, because as I said, its only occured since I started playing the game. And only occurs when I'm on it.

Thanks a lot, I hope you can help!

Rob

• SI Staff
This still doesn't work Marc, it activated first time on my main PC but no luck after about 400 trys on laptop. Why on earth have we been asked to go through this crazy process? All we want to do is install the game and play. Its such a shame that a brilliant game has lost all credibility, it saddens me.

It saddens me too that your laptop is not working. I can assure you I've raised this with the relevant people.

Hi Marc, I have had the same problem as a few others, I installed the DVD and registered via uniloc. However when I try to run it I get a "fm.exe has encountered a problem and has to close " message.

I re-installed the .Net framework thing like you mentioned elsewhere. I have updated the DXSDK thing. I have downloaded the patch, but my computer says it doesn't know what programme to use to open the patch. I thought it should talk me through how to install it?

You seem to be doing a grand job, keep it up.

• SI Staff
Hey guys

I've got onto the game, and it looks really good. I'm just having a few problems. Well one main one really.

For no apparent reason, while playing, at random intervals, the game decides to minimise itself, and my laptop goes into 'hibernation' mode.

My spec is above the required needed, and it doesn't happen at any other time, only when playing the game. It is also quite random. However, when it does happen, and I try to make my laptop return to the normal state to return to the game, it gets back to the main screen, and then returns straight to the 'hibernation' mode. Again, its never happened before, and it only happens while I'm on the game. Its very frustrating and I don't know if there actually is anyway to fix it?!

Also, I bought the game physically, not downloading it. But I don't have to have the CD in the drive to play the game... is this normal?

Any help would be most appreciated. I'm not very good with computers, all I know is that it must be something to do with the game, because as I said, its only occured since I started playing the game. And only occurs when I'm on it.

Thanks a lot, I hope you can help!

Rob

best to post this in the technical forum. http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=114

• SI Staff
Hi Marc, I have had the same problem as a few others, I installed the DVD and registered via uniloc. However when I try to run it I get a "fm.exe has encountered a problem and has to close " message.

I re-installed the .Net framework thing like you mentioned elsewhere. I have updated the DXSDK thing. I have downloaded the patch, but my computer says it doesn't know what programme to use to open the patch. I thought it should talk me through how to install it?

You seem to be doing a grand job, keep it up.

The patch should be a .exe which means it should open with a swift double click.

Liam, some new issues on me here. Have you thought about uninstalling and not going the Steam route?

Hi Marc,

Firstly, thank you for replying, im genuinely impressed (altho i;d rather my game was working! haha).

I have tried not going the steam route but as i probably poorly explained before, when i go to launch it (at this point everything seems fine), it comes up with an error message that 'fm.exe has encoutered a problem and must close' (im paraphrasing to be fair). i read the suggested FIX on here earlier but when i go to download the thing from the microsoft link you have posted before, it won't let me install it on my machine.

i am surprised that no one yet has said that nothing happens upon launch in steam tho.

'Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en'

that is the thing i tried but have failed to get working.

any other suggestions?

do you think its likely that the game will be re-released with all the info just packed onto a cd/dvd as in previous times?

Thanks again

Liam

hey all, stressed to the max here!! have been trying to install this damn game all day!

getting the Error: [-821] message but can't find any certificates in the places mentioned. Installed copy through Steam and running on Vista.

also tried closing the applications on task manager and have totally reinstalled whole thing several times but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

bought my copy in glasgow this morning... please help

Hey guys.. any thoughts??

• SI Staff

I'm offline now guys. Miles and Neil should be able to look after you for the rest of the evening. Mails are flying around concerning the issues you are facing and we hope to have good news soon

Fix: This happens because the original key entered was incorrect and the phone line cannot validate the request. Please recheck the original 26 character key entered, you should validate your key (if possible) via the following URL: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Marc, this happens to all of us and we are putting in the correct code after checking it via the 'check site'. So many problems, Why? Its always on the 3rd code.

I've been trying for over six hours to sort this problem, my windowed option in greyed out so i cant select or de-select it, i have followed the advice given by marc still no joy, this is a joke. The game keeps freezing do you know how to sort it, yes or no?

Earlier on I posted a similar issue - I've got it running in windowed mode and okay for two weeks game time no freezes - to get windowed mode

1 - right click FM2009 exe start up icon and then properties

2 - in the target field add a space and "-windowed -small_screen"

3 - click apply/ok

thanks to the guy on the PC/Mac discussion section who posted this

Archived