Scripted match results

7 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

Agreed 100%. Do you think it's more a matter of SI intentionally keeping the AI "dumb" with regard to tactics, or is it just that the current level of AI development isn't enough for it to be able to compete?

Given that SI must have received tons of suggestions from their more tactical committed throughout the years, and given that some AI decisions have arguably regressed from older Releases -- I personally believe the "former". I wouldn't call the AI "Dumb" as such. Things it's decent at is generally match Management, making roughly decisions what Kind of result/footie to target; making Adjustments based ont he scoreline (balancing the Risk between scoring one more vs conceding another). What the AI is definitely not competitive much is at the Micro specifics. In other words, it oft may make sensible decisions with ten minutes from time, and still 0-1 behind. That's basically the broader stuff: Go more attacking when we don't want to lose. What it cannot do much is getting into the Details of HOW to do that at best against a specific Opposition. Remember that every improved AI is also a possibly improved tactical assistant Manager for any Player struggling.

It's already got an Edge over any Player still arguing "shots" though. And tbh, I have no idea where anybody gets the idea from not scoring off 30-40 would feel like "cheating". This is all over Football, in particular if those shots are mostly just garbage. (FM Players also tend to be flat out terrible when judging chances, but they are taught by pundits and commentary to be such every week). What I agree on though is having a big shot Advantage is too easy to come by and happens to regularly -- it's simply a byproduct of AI playing far too defensive Football purely focused on making it harder to score. A lot of that may go away though if the AI wouldn't Play this defensively so often; plus if the game wouldn't allow Players (or AI) to basically Play no proper defense whatsoever whilst at the same time choking the attacking space to the size of a tuna can like you never ever see it in football; but let that improved assistant Manager Point out in both cases: Hey boss……….. 

Edited by Svenc

On 09/05/2019 at 21:40, WorcesterLegend said:

Remember that FM in the end is a business, thats why japanese game makers lowers the difficulty of their games for the american/european releases, same thing happens with FM right now, most of the "elite" of this game is either hooked up with the game or bored and just plays a few seasons per new game to see whats new and if by chance is more difficult, they are looking for more sales, so they have to go looking for the casual player, if the game is too difficult (is overwhelming for new player to learn all the stuff anyway, my brother had a go to fm and tried to use the same tactic he uses in fifa/pes, a 4-1-2-3 with 2 amc and a mc...that didn't end well for him) they will not comeback for the next release

Well they could have levels of difficulty 

It's hard to think SI would purposefully script a game, but sometimes, just sometimes...well actually once too often - usually agsinst teams that you're expected to win with relative ease...

Playing as Lincoln. Had a great preseason - confidently stuffing a full strength Bolton 3-0 being the pinnacle, and generally being nicely prepared for the league to come. All the players are fit, well drilled, confident and nicely clued up on their tactics with morale being superb.

First game.  At home. Woking. Who - as I was about to find out - have THE GREATEST GOALKEEPER IN THE HISTORY PAST, PRESENT OR FUTURE OF ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL. And he's about to have the greatest game of his career.

Absolutely dominated posession - with said possession being constantly threatening. Opposition can't even get out of their own half, let alone hold on to the ball for more than a few seconds. Their legs are like Boxer's from Animal Farm as he's about to be driven to the knacker's yard due to all the chasing you've made them do. Unfortunately for poor old Lincoln, the goalkeeper has tapped into The Matrix and downloaded the skills and knowledge of every great goalkeeper you will ever know - not to mention also inheriting the reflexes of Agent f**king Smith as well as having his friend Gandalf casting a "You Shall Not Pass" spell on the goal line and also having f**king Safe Style UK installi an inch thick pane of glass on the goal line. 80 minutes in. 24 shots on goal, 18 on target which have all been saved in absolute miraculous  world class fashion whether or not the player has hit the ball from 1 metre or 21 metres not to mention you've also hit the woodwork three times. And the rating the goalie got for the greatest game a goalkeeper will ever play? Yup, 6.7.

And then the killer blow in injury time - your best, quickest defender you keep in cover on a sliightly deeper defensive line to nullify the Allardyce Special has just been caught out by the Allardyce Special by a 34 year old striker with pretty much zero pace or acceleration as well as below average finishing skill who happened to turn into Lionel Messi just long enough to put the only shot they've had the entire game away. Yeah, right.

Trty telling me my tactics are crap or I'm crap at the game. It's one thing losing a close game. Encourage your players and move on. Or maybe you got a draw as your strikers just didn't have their shooting boots on that match. Tell them they're unlucky and move on. The other team might have snatched the three points against the run of play. It happens. You've done it yourself against a team that was better then yours on the day. Move on.

But every now and then the game absolutely takes the f**king ****. Rant over :)

Edited by aDuck
bloody typos :(

20 hours ago, aDuck said:

I Unfortunately for poor old Lincoln, the goalkeeper has tapped into The Matrix and downloaded the skills and knowledge of every great goalkeeper you will ever know - not to mention also inheriting the reflexes of Agent f**king Smith as well as having his friend Gandalf casting a "You Shall Not Pass" spell on the goal line and also having f**king Safe Style UK installi an inch thick pane of glass on the goal line.

Safe Style UK :lol:

• 1 year later...

At the end of the league I'm playing against LASK, which is on the 9th place of the austrian league due to a bad form they have .I'm on the 2nd place. I re-played the game several times, because I was curious what is the outcome if I change tactic or approach. My players every time play like ****, (giving the ball to the opponent and jogging on the pitch), and I always loose the same way, the goals are scored from the same position, the same time by the same players. I know they are determined to win and my players are complacent, but then I assume these factors are calculated before the game, therefore it is scripted. I changed everything and there was no change on the outcome not even slightly. I start to feel the game waste of time. Before any comments, yes I'm a bad player, but some things are just obvious.

5 hours ago, zsolt86 said:

At the end of the league I'm playing against LASK, which is on the 9th place of the austrian league due to a bad form they have .I'm on the 2nd place. I re-played the game several times, because I was curious what is the outcome if I change tactic or approach. My players every time play like ****, (giving the ball to the opponent and jogging on the pitch), and I always loose the same way, the goals are scored from the same position, the same time by the same players. I know they are determined to win and my players are complacent, but then I assume these factors are calculated before the game, therefore it is scripted. I changed everything and there was no change on the outcome not even slightly. I start to feel the game waste of time. Before any comments, yes I'm a bad player, but some things are just obvious.

No, it's not.

I'll be as polite as possible, but next time read a thread from 2019 rather than bump it after two years. I haven't read this thread today, but I've been here near 20 years and I can recall maybe a couple of dozen of these threads. People make claims and those claims are debunked in the same way.

You can not draw conclusions about any sort of scriptiung - of which there is none - from replaying one game. There is a whole series of events that lead up to what determines the outcome of your match. If you save and reload before the match all those events are still decided.

I have replayed matches before - because of crashes etc - and I am always surprised at the variation in the outcome of the matches.

1. Don't judge whether the game is scripted over the replaying of one fixture,

2. Never assume a poor position means you will beat another club. Any number of factors could make them play out of their skin,

3. Don't sit an decide you are replaying a match over and over. You will convince yourself of factors that just aren't true. It's human nature,

4. Understand statistics and meaningful source size,

5. Don't bump two year old threads.

Enjoy FM.

The game is not scripted, SI have been very clear about this several times before. This is also an ancient thread that didn't need to be necro'ed. Closing the thread.

• XaW locked this topic