I've had a lot to say on the 4-0 already, but this'll be my last comment. It seemed to me (and a lot of people) that some of the senior players have pretty much downed tools and stopped playing for Arsene Wenger. If he's lost the dressing room in August, then I cannot for the life of me see him lasting the full season. Though I admire our penchant for stability, we now seem more stagnant than stable.

Even now that the hysteria has died down, I still feel that we're not a top-six side as things stand. The players aren't necessarily the problem. The problem is that we've got a manager who's convinced that it's still 2006, and that "we'll be ready to contendĀ for honours again in a few years". That's basically been his approach for the last decade since Chelsea started to dominate.

Giving Wenger a new two-year contract in the summer could be the worst piece of business the club has done in a long time, possibly even since I started supporting the Gunners 20 seasons ago.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, salkster2102 said:

Careful we are supposed to be the ones that go on about history...

I always considered Liverpool v Arsenal the We'll Come Good Next Season Derby.

Or the We Won A Domestic Cup So Now We Can Kick On Derby.

I remember when Liverpool were in poor form, but they won the League Cup final against Birmingham or something (or any time Arsenal won the F.A. Cup) then suddenly they were going to 'kick on' and go into incredible form. Like people forget a trophy is the result of previous, not something that affects future ability like it gives you +1000 EXP and a skill boost for the next 48 hours.

Guys regarding the FMS Awards if anyone wants to start a betting thread go for it. I know someone asked about it either last year or the year before. Obviously I will not be placing bets or influencing the voting. Unless I get paid stupid amount of money or paid in chicken wings, steak or ribs

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

Can't win if you don't vote.Ā ;)

As for my sister... no comment.

Can't win and can't vote if you dont read (well you could vote, but my allegiance is to the Republic, to DEMOCRASAY).

I'll just pretend I won.

4 hours ago, gavrenwick said:

I do not appreciate being an adult. This new job, new shop opening lark is tiring. Life has returned to normal now after finally stopping the travel to other stores for training.Ā :applause:

What you up to nowadays old friend?

Guys regarding the FMS Hall of Fame, I have finally found out when the legend that is Peacemaker7 was inducted. He was our first Hall of Fame Writer and was inducted in 2007. I have edited this into the Awards Archive and voting slip

Not sure Mikey, probably best place to ask is in the general discussions. I know that they said that on the game the game will do either a hard brexit or a soft one but I didnt really read into the full specs of it.

Anyway apart from that hows you

11 hours ago, Celtic_1967 said:

Guys, quick question.

Is this a mistake or genuinely the case

Untitled.png

Playing in Scotland but the Brexit rules seem to be tying themselves to the value of the transfer in relation to English Premier League!

Hmm interesting. Does look like a bug.

Get ready for thousands of angry unfair sacking threads for FM19. I assume they'll accurately recreate that now across the sport on any level you can be sacked or rewarded a new (meaningless) contract depending only on your last 4 or so games.

Always talk of why players don't stay in the game, particularly as managers, well what's the point if your job is this meaningless? Only thing you get out of it is money as compensation for all the long hours of work over the summer, and players have plenty of money for doing a leisure activity as a part-time job.

19 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Not sure Mikey, probably best place to ask is in the general discussions. I know that they said that on the game the game will do either a hard brexit or a soft one but I didnt really read into the full specs of it.

Anyway apart from that hows you

I'm not too bad pal. Trying not to be too busy.

I don't want to say too much at the moment but things looking considerably up at work - which is always nice. What are you doing with yourself these days? Hows the little one (or is it more than 1 now?)

1 hour ago, git2thachoppa said:

Get ready for thousands of angry unfair sacking threads for FM19. I assume they'll accurately recreate that now across the sport on any level you can be sacked or rewarded a new (meaningless) contract depending only on your last 4 or so games.

Always talk of why players don't stay in the game, particularly as managers, well what's the point if your job is this meaningless? Only thing you get out of it is money as compensation for all the long hours of work over the summer, and players have plenty of money for doing a leisure activity as a part-time job.

FM19? We've not even had FM18 yet!

SI should just replicate the real-life Championship, whereby your chairman can sack you whenever they like - even if you're in 7th place - and inexplicably replace you with Gianfranco Zola. On the plus side, they'll also give you a Ā£100million transfer budget, so that you can find out whether Goncalo Guedes or Marco Asensio can hack it on a wet Tuesday night in Preston.

In fact, I've thought of a new name for this new-look game. Championship Manager.

36 minutes ago, Celtic_1967 said:

I'm not too bad pal. Trying not to be too busy.

I don't want to say too much at the moment but things looking considerably up at work - which is always nice. What are you doing with yourself these days? Hows the little one (or is it more than 1 now?)

I'm all good mate, wish I could say my work is looking up. Getting fed up with it, but its a job and it pays bills . The little one is now two. Got two girls so outnumbered mate

2 hours ago, CFuller said:

FM19? We've not even had FM18 yet!

SI should just replicate the real-life Championship, whereby your chairman can sack you whenever they like - even if you're in 7th place - and inexplicably replace you with Gianfranco Zola. On the plus side, they'll also give you a Ā£100million transfer budget, so that you can find out whether Goncalo Guedes or Marco Asensio can hack it on a wet Tuesday night in Preston.

In fact, I've thought of a new name for this new-look game. Championship Manager.

I figured they wouldn't have time to implement the new 4-game rule. So in FM18 the only things implemented are Watford and the league winners sacking their manager by the end of next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Wisla came up on the final voting round and stated the following:

Maybe the voting system is overly complex, and could be simplified in some way, to encourage more to join in? I don't know, I haven't really looked at it in any detail, just trying to offer some suggestions. If hardly anyone bothers to vote, there is probably an underlying reason for that somewhere, I should imagine.

Maybe it is the system itself that needs to be re-examined?Ā  Maybe not, and I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.Ā :)

I'm putting it out to you lot, In your opinions is the voting system too complicated, is their a way too improve it. If you have ideas to make it so more vote please feel free to discuss here and I'm sure me, tenthreeleader and Gavrenwick will be able to see if things need to be changed.Ā 

We only had 9 forum member that voted and we have probably more that are regulars on the board but didn't vote.

I know the only thing that wouldn't change of the way the Hall of Fame voting is done as this is pretty much set in stone.

FMS is clearly not asĀ popular as it used to be, but 9 votes? NINE? Thatā€™s obviously not good.

If you want to encourage more users to vote, maybe simplifying the process will help.

Our cousins at FMCU are voting on their awards as I write this and have already attracted more votes than FMS. Theyā€™ve got nine categories, and users are only allowed one vote per category.

Excluding the HOF, weā€™ve got 12 categories (wouldā€™ve been 13 had there been a Fantasy Story of the Year), with users permittedĀ two votes per category. Perhaps some of those categories could be eliminated.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think an award for the Most Missed FMSer isĀ unnecessary when so many great writers - PM7, flipsix, BobBev, Amaroq,Ā Donners, et al - have been absent for so long and (in all likelihood) arenā€™t coming back. Itā€™s probably unfair to vote on which one we miss the most.Ā Surely the Hall of Fame is the best way to honour the great FMSers of yesteryear.

Career Updates is a far more active forum. I get 200 views per post over there, over here it can be 10 or so. It's not clear what makes the two forums different. As far as I know it's just the ability to post pictures.

Having separate threads for different awards probably wasn't the best idea. It confused me a bit, not sure whether one or all of them was being talked about at times only following one thread.

Not sure why you have to vote to be able to win the story of the year award. I know the idea is to push people to vote so they don't lose out, but I guess that's not worked. Maybe rename it the 'Writers' Story of the Year award' anyway, because I don't know if you can really claim it to be the best of the best if something not involving the story affects the vote.

Maybe either not have a list of nominees for each award or, because the forum is relatively inactive, list every possible candidate. Like there are people on the list for a story of the year award but not best newcomer, so I'm not sure what the requirements are.

But ultimately I think it's just forum inactivity.

Just my 2 cents...

I haven't voted because, quite frankly, I haven't read anything on FMS for months. I'm sure it's excellent writing, but I haven't read it. Unfortunately that sort of precludes me from having a say about what the best anything is.

It might be time to trim the awards down to 4 or five more generic categories.

6 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Career Updates is a far more active forum. I get 200 views per post over there, over here it can be 10 or so. It's not clear what makes the two forums different. As far as I know it's just the ability to post pictures.

Ā 

Virtually every story post here would be out of place in Careers. There's no way I could post there and gain any sort of a following -- I'm way too wordy. And I'm fine with that. They do their thing, we do ours.Ā  I get about 40-45 views per post and Rat Pack in its heyday got about 60-70. There has been a dropoff but here's where my following is. That's cool.

Are we traditional? Sure, because the original rules of the forum go back to CM 1/2/01-02. Are we archaic? That's a different discussion. Terk wrote the original rules way back in the day and we've never thought about changing them. We certainly could.

Would that change what we are? Absolutely. But that's a decision we make as a group.

Its good too see everyone talking about it.Ā 

17 hours ago, Celtic_1967 said:

Just my 2 cents...

I haven't voted because, quite frankly, I haven't read anything on FMS for months. I'm sure it's excellent writing, but I haven't read it. Unfortunately that sort of precludes me from having a say about what the best anything is.

It might be time to trim the awards down to 4 or five more generic categories.

What categories would you like to see, obviously we would have Story of the Year, FMS'er of the Year and Writer of the Year, but what others would we have

18 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Having separate threads for different awards probably wasn't the best idea. It confused me a bit, not sure whether one or all of them was being talked about at times only following one thread.

Not sure why you have to vote to be able to win the story of the year award. I know the idea is to push people to vote so they don't lose out, but I guess that's not worked. Maybe rename it the 'Writers' Story of the Year award' anyway, because I don't know if you can really claim it to be the best of the best if something not involving the story affects the vote.

Maybe either not have a list of nominees for each award or, because the forum is relatively inactive, list every possible candidate. Like there are people on the list for a story of the year award but not best newcomer, so I'm not sure what the requirements are.

But ultimately I think it's just forum inactivity.

Career Updates is as you said alot more active and I think this is due to people being able to tell their story via pictures, however as we are a story forum here that would never change and that is why we have the rule regarding pictures in storiesĀ 

The reason I put the story threads up in each award category was we would you get users saying they couldn't vote on a certain award because they weren't sure which story qualified for which award. Also it helps with the memory as if someone finishes their story soon after the previous awards it could get lost missed by some of the newer members. I know once the awards have finished this year I will start cataloging stories for the next year awards.

The rule regarding you must vote to have the chance to win an award has been here as long as I and some of the longer serving forum members have been here and in the past it has proved a good rule too have. Whether we keep it in the future is one to be discussed, for me it would be one we keep

12 hours ago, tenthreeleader said:

Virtually every story post here would be out of place in Careers. There's no way I could post there and gain any sort of a following -- I'm way too wordy. And I'm fine with that. They do their thing, we do ours.Ā  I get about 40-45 views per post and Rat Pack in its heyday got about 60-70. There has been a dropoff but here's where my following is. That's cool.

Are we traditional? Sure, because the original rules of the forum go back to CM 1/2/01-02. Are we archaic? That's a different discussion. Terk wrote the original rules way back in the day and we've never thought about changing them. We certainly could.

Would that change what we are? Absolutely. But that's a decision we make as a group.

My stories aren't as wordy as yours sir and I doubt I could ever write a story like any of the other forum members here. In truth my stories (Match reports) would probably be more suited to the Career Updates forum but I enjoy the fact I can do the report without the aid of pictures. Would my stories progress and probably be easier to understand with pictures yes, but it's something I wouldn't and couldn't do.

I don't think we could ever change the rules that we have set in the past for this part of the forum as they are what make us unique. Maybe the awards process could change alittle. Maybe we could do as the FMCU side do and you have one vote per award or look at other things to help getting more members to vote

Ā 

Just to verify guys this is about looking at the FMS Awards voting system not to do with House Rules

Talking of the awards, remember they are being held Sunday 8th October 20:00 (BST). No doubt the bar (Sorry I mean thread) will be open early. So make sure you have got your wallets out ready to buy your three Mods a drink. (This is one rule we will enforceĀ ;)).Ā 

Just remember @salkster2102Ā you have been warned about your previous drunken antics. You would never see me doing anything too badĀ :D

My invitation for Sunday evening has been received, and I'll be ready to provide any musical entertainment before the ceremony begins.

Gio Bambini's still locked up after his disgraceful shenanigans last year - or was it myĀ disgraceful shenanigans? I forget. Anyway, I'm still looking for my plus-one for this year, as Natalie Sawyer won't return my calls, and Jo Wilson's blocked me on Twitter (which is quite something, as I don't have a Twitter account).Ā :(

33 minutes ago, tenthreeleader said:

What the heck time is that in the US Central time zone? Are you folks still on Double Summer Time or whatever you call it?

We Yanks get confused over GMT.Ā  Well, at least I do.

We are still using BST (for now). We're six hours ahead, so 8:00pm BST will be 2:00pm CDT.

2 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Talking of the awards, remember they are being held Sunday 8th October 20:00 (BST). No doubt the bar (Sorry I mean thread) will be open early. So make sure you have got your wallets out ready to buy your three Mods a drink. (This is one rule we will enforceĀ ;)).Ā 

Just remember @salkster2102Ā you have been warned about your previous drunken antics. You would never see me doing anything too badĀ :D

I -hic- don't -hic- know -hic what -hic- you -hic- mean :D

19 hours ago, tenthreeleader said:

What the heck time is that in the US Central time zone? Are you folks still on Double Summer Time or whatever you call it?

We Yanks get confused over GMT.Ā  Well, at least I do.

Sir I get confused over it and I live in this damn place. God knows why we do it, knackers up my body clock having to work nights

On ā€Ž10ā€Ž/ā€Ž5ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 11:36, CFuller said:

My invitation for Sunday evening has been received, and I'll be ready to provide any musical entertainment before the ceremony begins.

Gio Bambini's still locked up after his disgraceful shenanigans last year - or was it myĀ disgraceful shenanigans? I forget. Anyway, I'm still looking for my plus-one for this year, as Natalie Sawyer won't return my calls, and Jo Wilson's blocked me on Twitter (which is quite something, as I don't have a Twitter account).Ā :(

We are still using BST (for now). We're six hours ahead, so 8:00pm BST will be 2:00pm CDT.

I do love a prepared writer. Which, at the moment, isn't me. Thank you, Mr. Fuller!

2 minutes ago, tenthreeleader said:

I do love a prepared writer. Which, at the moment, isn't me. Thank you, Mr. Fuller!

Youā€™re welcome, Mr Leader.Ā :p

Itā€™d be fair to say thatĀ Iā€™ve got some things in mind for tomorrow evening. All I need now is a plus-one...

To be fair pictures and videos have been allowed in the past so I cant see why this should be a problem. Obviously within a reasonable contentĀ :D which is why I will not be offering any pictures I have

Archived