• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies for my ignorance 10-3.

And I thought Alicia was just singing about how beautiful she is, which would, in fact, be fair enough.

At least I'm being paid to watch this, being on a night shift as I am.

I always wondered why singers tend to always put so much into singing the American national anthem, it has always come across as so cheesy to me. I love how passionate and patriotic a lot of Americans are, but there has to be a line surely? :p

Apologies for my ignorance 10-3.

And I thought Alicia was just singing about how beautiful she is, which would, in fact, be fair enough.

At least I'm being paid to watch this, being on a night shift as I am.

No ignorance, my friend. I couldn't hope to know England's national songs.

Alicia looks good but geez. Just sing the song and get it over with :)

From what I can gather (and not just because of the scoreline) the 49'ers have been terrible. Their defence has been awful and the Ravens have taken advantage of that, also the 49'ers quarterback has made some pretty poor decisions. /shrug I am probably not seeing a lot of things, and in fact the 49'ers have been good and the Ravens have been terrible :p

Here's what I'm seeing:

1) The Niners are having trouble establishing a ground game, which is problematic. They are running what is known as a 'read-option' on about 75 percent of their running plays, where the quarterback reads the flow of the defense at the snap and decides where and how the ball should be run. Vernon Davis is a difference maker though. The Ravens have to get him accounted for. Kaepernick's athleticism has been nullified so far.

2) The Ravens are doing a good job of attacking the Niners where they are weaker, which is when their defense is spread out. Sets with three or four receivers give San Francisco trouble -- including on their touchdown. Defensively the Ravens are bending but not breaking. The fumble recovery was huge and should lead to points.

I'm no expert either Manxie, but the way I'm seeing it, the 49ers are playing the more indisciplined football and are being punished for it. They are also not getting the breaks. On the other hand Joe Flacco is having a bit of an MVP day, hasn't made a bad call yet.

So much time and space for that second touchdown o_O

That's a good observation. Like real football that we love, American football is all about time and space. Inside the ten-yard line, giving up that much space to a receiver is a cardinal sin.

I'm no expert either Manxie, but the way I'm seeing it, the 49ers are playing the more indisciplined football and are being punished for it. They are also not getting the breaks. On the other hand Joe Flacco is having a bit of an MVP day, hasn't made a bad call yet.

Turnovers kill. The Niners fumble was a potenial 14-point swing.

I think he's in trouble. He's the flavor of choice at the moment but the fact of the matter is that he was only 5-2 in the regular season. He had a huge post season especially against the Packers (which is good since they're the rivals of my Vikings and I detest them) but he has yet to earn his big-game spurs.

He's got a huge gut check coming up. The Niners were actually farther behind in the NFC Championship against Atlanta but this game is completely different.

I admire the guts too. What it lacked was common sense. The Ravens will get the second half kickoff and if they get a FG there and hold the Niners as they just did they have a shot for 20-3 or 24-3 at half. With the ball to start the second half another score would be very hard to overcome.

Jacoby Jones is incredible. But with a FG there it would be 24-3 with the Ravens getting the second half kickoff.

Again, a spread-out defense and a burner that goes deep and gets behind the safety. Flacco throws one of the best deep balls in the league so that was trouble from the moment the receiver made his cut. Meanwhile, the Ravens are about to pay for their decision not to settle for points before half.

A two-score game at half. If the Niners come out energized in the second half as you would expect they might, get a stop on Baltimore's first series and then score, they are more than in the ball game.

24-6 at half is a three-score game and is a lot different. Since I'm pulling for the Ravens, I am hoping the fake field goal doesn't hurt them in the ultimate way.

I'll get the hang of it eventually, I think. If anything watching this has made me want to watch more, one of my friends has described the game as "chess with force." and I totally see where he is coming from, tactically it's fascinating.

It is quite interesting. But unlike chess, the pieces can do different things depending on how they're aligned. The game can be vastly complicated and immensely simple at the same time. Glad you're enjoying.

As for me, though, looking at the grass being greener on the other side, I see passion in real football that I don't see even in the NFL, and I see rivalries in Europe that the NFL could only dream of having.

Yes, it'll be a late night over there. Beyonce is part of the half time show that is about half an hour too long. Give me the football.

NOTE: Of course, when Jones runs the kickoff back 109 yards for a touchdown, it may all be academic :D

Archived