Does the players preferred foot matter in central midfield?

On 20/02/2019 at 14:09, ollieshrews said:

My AP is left footed. Will he perform better left of the central three?

Like everything else, it depends on a number of factors, not just his stronger foot and position. What's the formation? What are the other roles and duties? Team instructions, mentality, player instructions?

I saw how much being BOTH footed can help in the FM engine a few years ago when I had two SS's. They'd often get into those tight situations centrally where they've got an opposition player all over them like a rash, sometimes forcing them backwards and limiting their passing options. Agility REALLY helps when that happens, but I also noticed how my players that can use both feet could get out of trouble a lot easier too compared to the more single footed players. Other than that I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes?

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:09, ollieshrews said:

Does the players preferred foot matter in central midfield?

My AP is left footed. Will he perform better left of the central three?

He'll discernibly only perform better left of the central three if that's the best place to position your AP in relation to your other player's requirements, regardless of his footedness.  It's pointless sticking him on the left if the rest of your team need an AP on the right.

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

He'll discernibly only perform better left of the central three if that's the best place to position your AP in relation to your other player's requirements, regardless of his footedness.  It's pointless sticking him on the left if the rest of your team need him on the right.

Can you share an example?

2 hours ago, ollieshrews said:

Can you share an example?

Of having a formation set up with the correct roles and duties in the right places so everyone combines well?  Any decent tactic is an example of that :thup:.

If you want to see something with an AP positioned at MCL which combines well with the other roles around it and plays perfectly well whether it's a left footer or a right footer as the AP, check out my "Developing my 4123DM "Tiki Taka" thread.

@ollieshrews

In my tactic i have the AP playing in the MCL position, and i prefer that way because the AP is right footed. I think that the AP usually play to the inside of the pitch and less to the wide, so i think it favors him if he plays more on the left.

So in your case, i would mirror the tactic so that you left footed AP would play on the MCR position.

IMO in that position (LCM) if the player is left-footed he'll be slightly more likely to pass to the left wing, and more likely to dribble to the left wing when pressed (although APs on support duty don't dribble an awful lot). The other way around if he's right-footed, he'll be slightly more biased towards the middle of the park and the right wing.

Should it make a huge difference? Not really. Will he play "better"? Also no unless you expect one of these two behaviours over the other in particular from him.

He should play slightly better if he's either footed though. On the other hand, either-footedness cuts his attributes relative to CA so I'm always very suspicious of either footed players. They're particularly bad defensively as it's often a waste of CA when I'd rather have higher defensive attributes.

3 hours ago, ollieshrews said:

I dont see how it does. I am asking simply if the foot is a factor the game engine takes into account. In real life it does...

Of course the ME takes everything into account, including the preferred foot. But your initial question was something else.

Archived