Game runs slow (anyone else having this problem?)

Hi guys, 

I've noticed that fm19 is running slower than fm18, I have an intel i7 - 36100 @ 2.3ghz machine, 16bgb ram and nvidia GeForce 635m graphics card, but on fm19 i'm only getting to play maybe 2-3 games per hour, where as on fm18 I was getting 6-7 per hour.

When in game, some times the graphics on the 2d match engine can stutter a bit, I usually play with 5 nations, but its the same whether I play with 1 nation or 7 nations running.

Is this just down to fm19 having more detail in it? 

Has anyone else been having a similar problem?

Its been recommended to get a ssd drive which could speed things up, or is it worth getting a new machine? But £1000 for a decent laptop is a bit steep at the moment and the laptop runs everything else fine, again its a little slow booting up and a little slow opening programmes.

Have also done all the usual clean up programmes etc, which made a slight improvement.

Just wondering if anyone can advise me or if anyone is having similar problems? Any help would be much appreciated.

@Neil Brock Can't answer for OP but personally I also feel a lot of slowness and slugishness compared to previous FM's. It's neither in the match nor in processing but just the UI itself is often chugging along and response times are low with lengthy pauses between clicking on say a player and the profile coming up. This is most noticeable with the tactics screen which takes a good 2-3 seconds to come up I think, I also saw that this acknowledged by SI but it's not just the tactics screen, it happens with most UI elements only to a lesser extent. A good example is the inbox, there's an annoying little pause when clicking space to go to the next unread message.

19 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

So what aspect specifically seems slow to you? The speed of matches or the processing between them? 

Thanks for replying, I think it’s just the general running of the game, I’d say it’s more during matches. I only use 2d and on key highlights. I don’t know if the new match engine generates more highlights which makes the games longer?  It’s just the game itself feels slower. But that is why I put the spec of my laptop up as I wasn’t sure if maybe because it was a 4 or 5 year old machine that maybe it’s that slowing not the game.

Another example could be during the team talk display when I’m moving the curser over which talk to give the bar doesn’t light  up as i hover over it, there’s like a 2 or 3 second delay.

On average I’m playing 2 maybe 3 games per hour, when I used to get more done on previous versions, but again I dm not sure if it’s because of the level of detail or a slow machine?

5 hours ago, daveygravy84 said:

Hi guys, 

I've noticed that fm19 is running slower than fm18, I have an intel i7 - 36100 @ 2.3ghz machine, 16bgb ram and nvidia GeForce 635m graphics card, but on fm19 i'm only getting to play maybe 2-3 games per hour, where as on fm18 I was getting 6-7 per hour.

When in game, some times the graphics on the 2d match engine can stutter a bit, I usually play with 5 nations, but its the same whether I play with 1 nation or 7 nations running.

Is this just down to fm19 having more detail in it? 

Has anyone else been having a similar problem?

Its been recommended to get a ssd drive which could speed things up, or is it worth getting a new machine? But £1000 for a decent laptop is a bit steep at the moment and the laptop runs everything else fine, again its a little slow booting up and a little slow opening programmes.

Have also done all the usual clean up programmes etc, which made a slight improvement.

Just wondering if anyone can advise me or if anyone is having similar problems? Any help would be much appreciated.

The issue is that FM tends to rely more on single core performance for the most part, rather than multi-core performance like many other games. This means that while your processor (which is nearly 7 years old at this point) may be good for other things due to the number of cores, it isn't especially good for the requirements for FM19, which requires a minimum of a 2.2GHz processor. The GeForce 635M graphics card is also nearly 7 years old, and so may not be able to keep up with the match engine without stuttering unless you reduce the graphics settings in-game.

An SSD will help with your PC booting up, but not with the running of FM really. You're only likely to get it running better with a better PC or laptop, and you don't need to spend £1000 for that, you can get one that runs FM well for £600-800, depending on deals.

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

The issue is that FM tends to rely more on single core performance for the most part, rather than multi-core performance like many other games. This means that while your processor (which is nearly 7 years old at this point) may be good for other things due to the number of cores, it isn't especially good for the requirements for FM19, which requires a minimum of a 2.2GHz processor. The GeForce 635M graphics card is also nearly 7 years old, and so may not be able to keep up with the match engine without stuttering unless you reduce the graphics settings in-game.

An SSD will help with your PC booting up, but not with the running of FM really. You're only likely to get it running better with a better PC or laptop, and you don't need to spend £1000 for that, you can get one that runs FM well for £600-800, depending on deals.

Thanks for the reply,

i had no idea the tech was almost 7 years old, but I’ll definitely look for a bigger ghz rate on the processor, would you know anywhere decent for a new laptop as all I know is pc world?

1 hour ago, daveygravy84 said:

Thanks for the reply,

i had no idea the tech was almost 7 years old, but I’ll definitely look for a bigger ghz rate on the processor, would you know anywhere decent for a new laptop as all I know is pc world?

If you head over to this thread, and give what sort of a budget you'd be working with for a new laptop or PC, myself or one of the other people who help there will be able to take a look for you.

On 03/01/2019 at 22:04, FrazT said:

I would also suggest that you go into preferences and reduce the graphics quality as this may help as well.

Would that affect the 2d match engine? I do have badges and face packs added too, if I removed them would that increase the speed? As well as shifting about 10gb of files off my laptop

I’ve noticed it’s slower. Got a pretty powerful Mac and it runs much slower than FM17 ( last version I played). 

Roughly speaking I would get through maybe a game every half hour on FM19 but can do two, maybe three games on FM17 in that time which I’ve gone back to playing.

No doubt some of this is due to the extra, and unnecessary, bells and whistles in FM19 but the game itself just feels slower when clicking between menus and whatnot, even when I close all other open tasks running in the background. 

2 hours ago, Iutbsco said:

I’ve noticed it’s slower. Got a pretty powerful Mac and it runs much slower than FM17 ( last version I played). 

Roughly speaking I would get through maybe a game every half hour on FM19 but can do two, maybe three games on FM17 in that time which I’ve gone back to playing.

No doubt some of this is due to the extra, and unnecessary, bells and whistles in FM19 but the game itself just feels slower when clicking between menus and whatnot, even when I close all other open tasks running in the background. 

How many leagues/players do you have active? If its every division and 200k+ players then all the background computing will take its toll, if its a small database with a couple of leagues then your understanding of "pretty powerful" in FM terms is incorrect

1 minute ago, Brady84 said:

How many leagues/players do you have active? If its every division and 200k+ players then all the background computing will take its toll, if its a small database with a couple of leagues then your understanding of "pretty powerful" in FM terms is incorrect

About 12 divisions from 7/8 leagues. Nothing too OTT. No point running the Indian second division if I don’t plan on managing outside Europe!

If you play in window mode (not fullscreen), try to close Internet Browser. 

You can restart browser after minute, but sometimes its load processor too much. Google Chrome at least. Me helped

On 03/01/2019 at 16:48, bar333 said:

@Neil Brock Can't answer for OP but personally I also feel a lot of slowness and slugishness compared to previous FM's. It's neither in the match nor in processing but just the UI itself is often chugging along and response times are low with lengthy pauses between clicking on say a player and the profile coming up. This is most noticeable with the tactics screen which takes a good 2-3 seconds to come up I think, I also saw that this acknowledged by SI but it's not just the tactics screen, it happens with most UI elements only to a lesser extent. A good example is the inbox, there's an annoying little pause when clicking space to go to the next unread message.

I have a post in the UI section of bugs forum re. tactics screen.  It definitely has a lag when you try to enter the panel, between clicking it and the screen loading is easily 2-3 seconds.  Sent a save over and the SI staff member said it was definitely noticeable and had been passed onto someone to look at

Archived