Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Grpkta said:

Either of the i5's with '10' at the beginning of the model number are going to be about as good as you're going to get at the moment in that price range. I'd recommend a Ryzen 4500U laptop but they seem to be out of stock or overpriced everywhere currently. It can handle 4-5 leagues, but don't expect wonders in terms of speed. I think the 3D match engine might struggle, although it will probably work if you turn most of the options off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grpkta said:

Does it have to be John Lewis?

If I had to pick it would be https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-vivobook-14-x413fa-ek529t-laptop-intel-core-i5-processor-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14-inch-full-hd-black/p5085491

 

My suggestion for best bang for your buck is below - it's a little over your budget but I would recommend this over any other in your price range.

https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Does it have to be John Lewis?

If I had to pick it would be https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-vivobook-14-x413fa-ek529t-laptop-intel-core-i5-processor-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14-inch-full-hd-black/p5085491

 

My suggestion for best bang for your buck is below - it's a little over your budget but I would recommend this over any other in your price range.

https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Thanks mate, can I ask why the one you linked?

future proof? Faster?

and would the one you chose from john Lewis still handle 5/6 leagues with 3d match highlights do you think?

I don’t know much about computers I’ve run fm for about 10 years on various laptops etc but just what I have had about not one I have specifically chosen 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grpkta said:

Thanks mate, can I ask why the one you linked?

future proof? Faster?

and would the one you chose from john Lewis still handle 5/6 leagues with 3d match highlights do you think?

I don’t know much about computers I’ve run fm for about 10 years on various laptops etc but just what I have had about not one I have specifically chosen 

It will handle it and will be ok - but with no dedicated graphics card it might be best for low-medium settings for 3D.

 

The one I suggest has a better processor and a graphics card that will do what you want even better.

Here's the comparison on the processors - with my suggestion that is ranked higher.

image.thumb.png.c39d3a92b1a98f26b84c1c750db8a482.png

 

Completely up to you - but I would be inclined to get the extra 50 quid together and buy the one for 599.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

It will handle it and will be ok - but with no dedicated graphics card it might be best for low-medium settings for 3D.

 

The one I suggest has a better processor and a graphics card that will do what you want even better.

Here's the comparison on the processors - with my suggestion that is ranked higher.

image.thumb.png.c39d3a92b1a98f26b84c1c750db8a482.png

 

Completely up to you - but I would be inclined to get the extra 50 quid together and buy the one for 599.

Perfect mate I will by the box one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gents,

 

hoping you can help. Buying a new laptop, really just going to be playing FM on it and browsing etc.

 

happy to spend up to 800-850 to ensure I can play at decent settings for the next few games. 
 

can anyone advise best laptops around at the moment for this price range?

 

Currys local to me has these on offer, any a good deal?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cs3503sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198516-pdt.html
 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a514-52-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10203794-pdt.html
 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-k403ja-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-blue-10208161-pdt.html
 

thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macktheknife said:

Hi gents,

hoping you can help. Buying a new laptop, really just going to be playing FM on it and browsing etc.

happy to spend up to 800-850 to ensure I can play at decent settings for the next few games. 

can anyone advise best laptops around at the moment for this price range?

Currys local to me has these on offer, any a good deal?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cs3503sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198516-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a514-52-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10203794-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-k403ja-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-blue-10208161-pdt.html

thanks

None of those

https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q87EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-Gaming-A715-75G_2934480.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Better graphics card

Perfect I will get this the

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Johnsey said:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood! 

Yea I'm more than happy with your suggestion, thank you very much. 

@Smurf

Sorry, pal, last question. Just been linked to this one (quicker delivery) 

Is it the same specs as the one you recommended from Box? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-A715-75G-i5-9300H-Display-Windows/dp/B089BN7HVW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=230H9HFHVW3G0&dchild=1&keywords=gaming+laptops&qid=1596892377&refinements=p_89%3AAcer&rnid=182781031&s=computers&sprefix=Gaming+%2Ccomputers%2C165&sr=1-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi, looking for some advice for a new laptop.

Currently I have an ASUS Zenbook UX305FA and it's pretty terrible for FM, I'm currently only really able to play FM17 on the lowest graphics setting possible. I even have to make the crowd invisible to get it running somewhat smoothly. 

Current specs: RAM: 8GB RAM, SSD Hard Drive, CPU: Intel Core M-5Y10, 13.3" screen, 1.2kg weight - link 

 

Looking for something a lot better obviously so I can play FM20. I like playing on 3D so preferably something that is able to play 3D with the crowd etc. visible (not worried about how detailed they are though). Don't play any other games, so will only really be used for FM, YouTube, Netflix etc. From what I can tell I'd want:

- 16GB RAM (unless 8GB is enough? I generally don't run any other apps when I play FM)

- an SSD Hard Drive

- a good CPU (my current laptop's CPU is ranked 590th on that website on OP, which I assume is pretty ****)

- similar size and weight to my current one (willing to get slightly bigger if it means a better performance).

Budget I had in mind was about $1,500NZD (£750), but willing to go up to $2,000NZD (£1,000) if it makes a signficant difference. Quite like my ASUS laptop so if there's a good ASUS one that would be good, but I'm not particularly worried about brands.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Fargerov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Johnsey said:

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fargerov said:

Current specs: RAM: 8GB RAM, SSD Hard Drive, CPU: Intel Core M-5Y10, 13.3" screen, 1.2kg weight - link 

- 16GB RAM (unless 8GB is enough? I generally don't run any other apps when I play FM)

- an SSD Hard Drive

- a good CPU (my current laptop's CPU is ranked 590th on that website on OP, which I assume is pretty ****)

- similar size and weight to my current one (willing to get slightly bigger if it means a better performance).

Budget I had in mind was about $1,500NZD (£750), but willing to go up to $2,000NZD (£1,000) if it makes a signficant difference. Quite like my ASUS laptop so if there's a good ASUS one that would be good, but I'm not particularly worried about brands.

Thanks! :)

I emboldened and underlined your biggest issue here.

You have a portable laptop spec - which keeps it light - but no good only except very basic tasks.

FM is a processing game - it needs a good processor. 

You processor is ranked 590 (I'd be looking at something in top 100) and it's speed is 800-2000.

image.thumb.png.d044e695f08a0178bde40e86dfe4821f.png

FM requires at least 2.2ghz processor speed (2200) for the first number.

 

When you go to small form factor laptops like a 13 inch - you're sacraficing for portabiltiy over performance. 

 

What sites do you look at in New Zealand for a laptop - I'll take a look - but you can't expect performance from a laptop built for mobility. 

It's like buying a light weight bicycle designed for road racing and then wondering why it won't work for downhill rough mountain biking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I emboldened and underlined your biggest issue here.

You have a portable laptop spec - which keeps it light - but no good only except very basic tasks.

FM is a processing game - it needs a good processor. 

You processor is ranked 590 (I'd be looking at something in top 100) and it's speed is 800-2000.

image.thumb.png.d044e695f08a0178bde40e86dfe4821f.png

FM requires at least 2.2ghz processor speed (2200) for the first number.

 

When you go to small form factor laptops like a 13 inch - you're sacraficing for portabiltiy over performance. 

 

What sites do you look at in New Zealand for a laptop - I'll take a look - but you can't expect performance from a laptop built for mobility. 

It's like buying a light weight bicycle designed for road racing and then wondering why it won't work for downhill rough mountain biking.

Thanks for the reply!

If size is the issue holding me back I'm willing to get a bigger laptop (would 15-16" be enough?) to help performance. I don't really take my laptop anywhere, so it's not a huge issue, I've just only really had lightweight ones in the past so I'm used to them :)

Generally it'd say Jbhifi.co.nz and pbtech.co.nz is where I'd usually buy stuff like that, but I'm not an expert. I'm sure most major brands are available somewhere if there's one that stands out

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fargerov said:

Thanks for the reply!

If size is the issue holding me back I'm willing to get a bigger laptop (would 15-16" be enough?) to help performance. I don't really take my laptop anywhere, so it's not a huge issue, I've just only really had lightweight ones in the past so I'm used to them :)

Generally it'd say Jbhifi.co.nz and pbtech.co.nz is where I'd usually buy stuff like that, but I'm not an expert. I'm sure most major brands are available somewhere if there's one that stands out

Cheers!

Your options definitely open up then

By far this is the best option on one of the sites

In descending price order

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKASU506057/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15-TUF506II-HN251T-GTX-1650-Ti-Ga
This would be my pick.


This processor is good too - but the graphics card isn't as good - but if it's just for FM it's fine.
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKGBM155801R/Gigabyte-Remanufactured-Sabre15-GTX1050-Superior-G
Also a personal contender for me - it is refurbished though... so basically 2nd hand but in full working order

 

Next would be (going down in price in order)

  1. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKMSI81363/MSI-GF63-GTX-1650-Gaming-Laptop-156-FHD-Intel-i5-9
    This has a very good processor and graphics card (if you play other games)
  2. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKASU505511/ASUS-TUF-FX505DT-HN511T-GTX-1650-Gaming-Laptop-156
    This is similar performing processor (slightly less in my opinion) and a similar graphics card
  3. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKACN515463/Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-43-GTX-1050-Gaming-Laptop-156-F
    The above as a better processor than no.3 below - but a slightly lesser graphics card (but fine for FM)
  4. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKMSI80832/MSI-Alpha-15-AMD-RX-5500M-Gaming-Laptop-156-FHD-12
    This one has a slightly lesser processor than 1 and 2 above - only 1 has a better graphics card

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Your options definitely open up then

By far this is the best option on one of the sites

In descending price order

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKASU506057/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15-TUF506II-HN251T-GTX-1650-Ti-Ga
This would be my pick.


This processor is good too - but the graphics card isn't as good - but if it's just for FM it's fine.
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKGBM155801R/Gigabyte-Remanufactured-Sabre15-GTX1050-Superior-G
Also a personal contender for me - it is refurbished though... so basically 2nd hand but in full working order

 

Next would be (going down in price in order)

  1. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKMSI81363/MSI-GF63-GTX-1650-Gaming-Laptop-156-FHD-Intel-i5-9
    This has a very good processor and graphics card (if you play other games)
  2. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKASU505511/ASUS-TUF-FX505DT-HN511T-GTX-1650-Gaming-Laptop-156
    This is similar performing processor (slightly less in my opinion) and a similar graphics card
  3. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKACN515463/Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-43-GTX-1050-Gaming-Laptop-156-F
    The above as a better processor than no.3 below - but a slightly lesser graphics card (but fine for FM)
  4. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKMSI80832/MSI-Alpha-15-AMD-RX-5500M-Gaming-Laptop-156-FHD-12
    This one has a slightly lesser processor than 1 and 2 above - only 1 has a better graphics card

 

 

Thanks so much mate, that's a massive help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there guys. 

Needing some advice about upgrading my PC after coming back to FM since 2013.

Currently setup is around 7-8 years old.

i5 2500k@ 3.30Ghz

DDR3 16GB

GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3P

AMD 6800 Radeon HD

FM20 runs fine has i dont play with many leagues selected, and use 2D.

But after a couple of seasons into a save game it does become abit slow in processing. (around 65c temp)

Can anyone recommend a decent upgrade for a new build, I only play FM and use it for work (programming visual studio code/selenium/sql developr etc), I guess it would be better to replace the whole tower since its been quite a long time and IT has evolved greatly since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g-sandhu said:

Hi there guys. 

Needing some advice about upgrading my PC after coming back to FM since 2013.

Currently setup is around 7-8 years old.

i5 2500k@ 3.30Ghz

DDR3 16GB

GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3P

AMD 6800 Radeon HD

FM20 runs fine has i dont play with many leagues selected, and use 2D.

But after a couple of seasons into a save game it does become abit slow in processing. (around 65c temp)

Can anyone recommend a decent upgrade for a new build, I only play FM and use it for work (programming visual studio code/selenium/sql developr etc), I guess it would be better to replace the whole tower since its been quite a long time and IT has evolved greatly since then.

Sure - so it's a desktop you're after and not a laptop, is that correct?

And what is your budget?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Sure - so it's a desktop you're after and not a laptop, is that correct?

And what is your budget?

Yes that’s right a desktop. Just the tower, I have all the preps and monitor. 
would probably only require a SSD with about 500gb storage for now. 
budget is flexible but start off around 400-500, maybe more if for something that I won’t have to touch for the next 5 years.

i have seen the Box website links in previous posts that would be helpful has its very local to me.

Thanks

Edited by g-sandhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Looking for some advice please over which CPU to choose.

Doing a PCSpecialist laptop build and its between the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H or Intel Core i7-10875H?

Going for a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 16gb 2666mhz Ram, 512 PCS M.2 SSD (will probably add a big HDD later for file storage) , arctic compound, don't need windows so saving some money there.

Thanks in advance.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g-sandhu said:

Yes that’s right a desktop. Just the tower, I have all the preps and monitor. 
would probably only require a SSD with about 500gb storage for now. 
budget is flexible but start off around 400-500, maybe more if for something that I won’t have to touch for the next 5 years.

i have seen the Box website links in previous posts that would be helpful has its very local to me.

Thanks

Ok ran over budget slightly...


Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9600 (3.1GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF H310M-PLUS GAMING R2.0: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1 - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1500MB/sR | 1000MB/sW)

Price: £540.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/intel-home-office-pc-II/SE7SEeuRbn/

1 hour ago, crghurst said:

Hi,

Looking for some advice please over which CPU to choose.

Doing a PCSpecialist laptop build and its between the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H or Intel Core i7-10875H?

Going for a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 16gb 2666mhz Ram, 512 PCS M.2 SSD (will probably add a big HDD later for file storage) , arctic compound, don't need windows so saving some money there.

Thanks in advance.,

The 4800H is slightly better.

Both are excellent no real way to choose one over the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Ok ran over budget slightly...


Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9600 (3.1GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF H310M-PLUS GAMING R2.0: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1 - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1500MB/sR | 1000MB/sW)

Price: £540.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/intel-home-office-pc-II/SE7SEeuRbn/

 

Thanks for this. 

Few questions: Why Intel and not the Ryzen that everyone raves about?

Would the integrated graphics card be good for my dual monitor setup (hdmi & display port full HD 1080p)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, g-sandhu said:

Thanks for this. 

Few questions: Why Intel and not the Ryzen that everyone raves about?

Would the integrated graphics card be good for my dual monitor setup (hdmi & display port full HD 1080p)?

Because the only AMD processor with integrated graphics (as you said you only play 2D) and to keep the price down was the Ryzen 5 3400G.

Other AMD Processors need a dedicated graphics card.

Adding a dedicated graphics card reduces your CPU selection to a weaker processor.
You need the processor for FM - you don't need the graphics card as  you only play 2D.

Everything else on the AMD range was way out of budget.

image.thumb.png.c7fb3dcc76b58cb8d1fa967dacb9000d.png

 

Ok on the surface the Ryzen 5 3400G has a higher clockspeed.

It's up to yourself - you can review the Ryzen 5 3400G on many sites.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-3400g-review

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, g-sandhu said:

Thanks for this. 

Few questions: Why Intel and not the Ryzen that everyone raves about?

Would the integrated graphics card be good for my dual monitor setup (hdmi & display port full HD 1080p)?

 

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Everything else on the AMD range was way out of budget.

OK found a compromise


AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.25GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 - HDMI
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1500MB/sR | 1000MB/sW)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
 

Price: £566.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/amd-am4-home-office/b4shmenVRW/

image.thumb.png.376c21c041962b403892ca9966363698.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

 

OK found a compromise


AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.25GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 - HDMI
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1500MB/sR | 1000MB/sW)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
 

Price: £566.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/amd-am4-home-office/b4shmenVRW/

image.thumb.png.376c21c041962b403892ca9966363698.png

Ah yes I get it now. Forgot to add I watch key highlights on 2D but the goals using 3D. Again shouldn't make much difference should it.
What kind of PSU would fit either the Intel or AMD?

Appreciate the info. 

(ah its ok just seen the rest of the package)

Edited by g-sandhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Football Manager XY: How much better is Intel 10th generation compared to Intel 9th generation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smurf

What about this one ?

 

LENOVO LEGION Y540-17IRH-PG0

 

17.3 inch, 1920 x 1080 Pixels, IPS, Full HD
16 GB DDR4
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
Dedicated 4 GB DDR5
Intel Core i7 9750H

 

Price:  1199 euro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going against what I said earlier after finding out how good xbox game pass it

Have decided to treat myself and get a more expensive one, am thinking this one

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

Only fear is, is the storage big enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, g-sandhu said:

Ah yes I get it now. Forgot to add I watch key highlights on 2D but the goals using 3D. Again shouldn't make much difference should it.
What kind of PSU would fit either the Intel or AMD?

Appreciate the info. 

(ah its ok just seen the rest of the package)

Best bet is to put it together on PC Specialist - I'd go with the AMD one with the dedicated card - as you watch some in 3D. And who knows what FM brings in 5 years.

You can then have a chat with PC Specialist about PSU and other things - they are very helpful.

12 hours ago, Groom84 said:

For Football Manager XY: How much better is Intel 10th generation compared to Intel 9th generation?

It's like solving an equation in a 100000th of a second comapred to 200000th of a second.

You wouldn't really notice the difference.

There are some architectural changes which might benefit in the long run with updates etc. in the future.

But typically - the performance of 10th gen vs 9th gen (same model numbers) are only slightly higher in the new versions

45 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

@Smurf

What about this one ?

LENOVO LEGION Y540-17IRH-PG0

17.3 inch, 1920 x 1080 Pixels, IPS, Full HD
16 GB DDR4
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
Dedicated 4 GB DDR5
Intel Core i7 9750H

Price:  1199 euro.

Yes, it's good.

No idea where you're buying from or if another deal is out there for you. But looks good.

 

37 minutes ago, Redwinevino said:

Going against what I said earlier after finding out how good xbox game pass it

Have decided to treat myself and get a more expensive one, am thinking this one

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

Only fear is, is the storage big enough?

Looking good. 

The SSD is a bit small - but an external drive would work well.

Upgrading the SSD isn't simple.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-ssd-your-acer-nitro-5

But a qualified technician could do it - so you can make the decision when needed to upgrade the SSD at a small price.

 

If you get a USB C SSD drive it will be fine - something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT500X8SSD9-Portable-USB-C-Black/dp/B07YD62982/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?adgrpid=59913249778&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwAL8V8S1i6OT8-ePx68NTTbB6jYoOiAqSRyZAPPBl1RjQ3kWNAM9mPqBoCDoYQAvD_BwE&hvadid=291284094183&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9696875641930613250&hvtargid=kwd-310586744771&hydadcr=2443_1754204&keywords=usb-c+external+ssd&qid=1597045426&refinements=p_72%3A419153031&rnid=419152031&sr=8-2-spons&tag=googiehydra-21&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOEIxUEgyRk1TVU43JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzMxOTg1TUIySU4yS0ZEMVYmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDg2NzgxM0NaWVo3QTFSUk5aOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Looking to get back in to FM after a few years out means I'm in need of a new laptop. I've had a look through the recent posts here and I'm looking to spend a maximum of £650.

I've seen the Acer Nitro linked above from Currys PCWorld and found this HP Pavilion on Argos for the same price - 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8440710?clickSR=slp:term:hp%20laptop:7:89:1

What are your thoughts on these? Should I be looking at anything else in that price bracket?

Thanks for any advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frank Edwin Wright III said:

Hi,

Looking to get back in to FM after a few years out means I'm in need of a new laptop. I've had a look through the recent posts here and I'm looking to spend a maximum of £650.

I've seen the Acer Nitro linked above from Currys PCWorld and found this HP Pavilion on Argos for the same price - 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8440710?clickSR=slp:term:hp%20laptop:7:89:1

What are your thoughts on these? Should I be looking at anything else in that price bracket?

Thanks for any advice!

Not bad - if you can swing a slightly larger hard drive it would be better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Owenr said:

Hi there, my current HP laptop is dying on me, i have a budget of up to £500

I need a laptop that can run FM efficiently, and be able to be used to my business. 

Any help will be appreciated, currently looking at a ACER Aspire 3 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 128 GB SSD but maybe thinking an i5 intel core might be better 

£500 is a low budget - but you went with a £350 laptop?

There's not enough RAM or hard drive on that for FM. Plus the processor is pretty bad for FM.

You really have to be looking at the 600 quid range.

Or try Google Stadia. It's subscription based - so probably cost more in the long run.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/google-stadia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smurf said:

Not bad - if you can swing a slightly larger hard drive it would be better.

 

Thanks for that. Using Nectar points I can get it for £600. I've got an external hard drive which I can use for storage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Frank Edwin Wright III said:

Thanks for that. Using Nectar points I can get it for £600. I've got an external hard drive which I can use for storage. 

Good to go so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smurf said:

£500 is a low budget - but you went with a £350 laptop?

There's not enough RAM or hard drive on that for FM. Plus the processor is pretty bad for FM.

You really have to be looking at the 600 quid range.

Or try Google Stadia. It's subscription based - so probably cost more in the long run.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/google-stadia

Yeah that makes sense, i will have another look. Is up to 700 decent budget? 

 

What would you recommend for that price 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi all, I’m looking to swap my knackered old HP Pavilion for a decent fairly priced prebuilt desktop PC that can play the new game (and potentially older titles) with 4/6 leagues fully loaded and just 2D graphics. 

My budget is max £400, and I’m happy to consider refurbished PCs too. I found this refurb bundle but would I be right in saying that the graphics card falls well short of minimum spec? There is an option to add another graphics card for £37.99 (GT710) but I think that is also way off what is required.

EDIT: Since posting I've also found this on Amazon and this on eBay - will either do the trick?

Hope you can help!

Edited by griffo94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, griffo94 said:

Hi all, I’m looking to swap my knackered old HP Pavilion for a decent fairly priced prebuilt desktop PC that can play the new game (and potentially older titles) with 4/6 leagues fully loaded and just 2D graphics. 

My budget is max £400, and I’m happy to consider refurbished PCs too. I found this refurb bundle but would I be right in saying that the graphics card falls well short of minimum spec? There is an option to add another graphics card for £37.99 (GT710) but I think that is also way off what is required.

EDIT: Since posting I've also found this on Amazon and this on eBay - will either do the trick?

Hope you can help!

Do you need a monitor?

https://www.box.co.uk/Lenovo-V55t-15API-11CC0009UK-Business-_2961996.html

As it's a desktop - upgrading storage and adding a graphics card down the road might be possible. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smurf said:

Do you need a monitor?

https://www.box.co.uk/Lenovo-V55t-15API-11CC0009UK-Business-_2961996.html

As it's a desktop - upgrading storage and adding a graphics card down the road might be possible. 

 

Yeah I'll need one, though I'm not too fussed on getting a really high-end one. If I got one for say £50 it means I could get a full setup for £350~ (the discount on the eBay listing knocks the Lenovo down to just shy of £300). 

Are you saying that the existing specs will be ok but will need an upgrade in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, griffo94 said:

Yeah I'll need one, though I'm not too fussed on getting a really high-end one. If I got one for say £50 it means I could get a full setup for £350~ (the discount on the eBay listing knocks the Lenovo down to just shy of £300). 

Are you saying that the existing specs will be ok but will need an upgrade in the future?

I didn't spot your other links. It's same Lenovo one I found on Box.

Should be good to go.

You can pick up a monitor handy enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I didn't spot your other links. It's same Lenovo one I found on Box.

Should be good to go.

You can pick up a monitor handy enough.

Great stuff, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Macktheknife said:

Hi, I’ve just ordered this. 
 

I’ve also bought FM20 but I’ve just realised it doesn’t look as though this has a cd drive, is that the case?

Thanks

Download it on Steam and enter the CD code.

Most computers don't come with CD/DVD drives anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Download it on Steam and enter the CD code.

Most computers don't come with CD/DVD drives anymore.

I’ve bought the disc, 

Will this still work or will I need to buy again on steam? 
 

apologies for the silly questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Macktheknife said:

I’ve bought the disc, 

Will this still work or will I need to buy again on steam? 
 

apologies for the silly questions!

No - download the game on Steam as the Demo. Then activate it on Steam with your code from the disc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm from Germany. I would buy a business laptop, that I want to use also for FM2020. 

I could buy ThinkPad T14 AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750u for campus price. Is it suitable? 

I read on different websites, that Ryzen 7 Pro 4750u is even better or equal than/like i7-8750H/i7-9750H. Is that correct? I doubt, therefore I'm asking here. 

If not I'm thinking to buy a Laptop with Ryzen 7 4800H or i7-9850H/i7-10850H. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Color said:

Hello, I'm from Germany. I would buy a business laptop, that I want to use also for FM2020. 

I could buy ThinkPad T14 AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750u for campus price. Is it suitable? 

I read on different websites, that Ryzen 7 Pro 4750u is even better or equal than/like i7-8750H/i7-9750H. Is that correct? I doubt, therefore I'm asking here. 

If not I'm thinking to buy a Laptop with Ryzen 7 4800H or i7-9850H/i7-10850H. 

This is how they are currently ranked for your selection

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

image.thumb.png.3fe3eaf2d008ea0019f812f0c80db765.png

 

The 4750U is the lowest of them.

Now that's not the whole story - the TDP is 15 - which means it's an ultra-low power processor (as denoted by the U).

This means that it draws less power (good for battery life). But it also means that the processor will throttle when under heavy load as it is not designed for this purpose. It's designed for slim/ultra light laptops for on the go. 

This is not favourable for FM.

The 4800H is quite good on paper - and it has 2.9ghz  up to 4200ghz and 8cores/16 threads. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi

I'm off work next week and hope to buy a PC off the shelf and take advantage of the 12mth Int.Free.Credit promo at Currys - I'm looking for something that will perform at a decent speed (running a decent number of Leagues for Journey Man type saves)- with a fair graphics capability, for other Sim Type games. (SimCities etc)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs-317-c.html

A Desktop is my current preference. 

Circa £1k -£1.2k is my budget range.

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by TheMadMonk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...