Winning Champions League as underdog

Was wondering if anyone had any experience winning CL with teams from outside of the Big Five leagues. And what tactics and advice you would have. I would really like to hear if someone was able to do it in first couple years with original squad more or less intact without major influx of wonderkids. Is it even possible?  I have a dream that with a right set of players who while not world class one can be successful if they have right set of attributes. For instance while looking at Besiktas in Turkey I see some great players for their level.

I got to the final with Benfica on my first 2018 save, but lost agonizingly to Barcelona in the final, in extra time, after having a man injured in the 89th minute and an equalizer in the 91st. That was heartbreaking. We absolutely smashed PSG in the group stage 6-1 that year, it was a wonderful season. I did not get close with them again.

I won it with Everton in FM17, but by the time I did I had one of the best squads in the competition so I would not call it underdog.

Got to the CL final with Bournemouth in my third season, good team but certainly nowhere near one of the best in the world. Lost to, you guessed it, Real Madrid :D tight game but we had the better of it, undone by a goal from a throw in. In fact, that season, we finished 2nd in the league,  and were runners up in the FA Cup too. Almost stopped playing after that 😂

Lost the CL-final with Dortmund in the first season against Juventus. Had a reasonable easy route to the final, which might be the reason as I had bought no players. Went up 1-0 in the first 10 minutes, then Dybala destroyed me in second half with two goals. Gutted. :(

I usually win it with Porto in the first or second season. Last save i won it on the second when actually not expecting it since we lost many key players. You need luck and a solid system going and also understand how you can nullify certain AI systems.

I found it very easy to beat Barcelona and Madrid on the way to the final but, on the other hand, Spurs proved much more difficult with their 3421 (2 amcs) so we had to change tactics from our usual 442.

On 13/09/2018 at 21:54, KyleHyde said:

I usually win it with Porto in the first or second season. Last save i won it on the second when actually not expecting it since we lost many key players. You need luck and a solid system going and also understand how you can nullify certain AI systems.

I found it very easy to beat Barcelona and Madrid on the way to the final but, on the other hand, Spurs proved much more difficult with their 3421 (2 amcs) so we had to change tactics from our usual 442.

I might try it with Porto. Just realized that they have some great players for 4-4-2. And they have some beastly strikers!

Archived