[FM18] E22 - England to Level 22

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:28, phnompenhandy said:

Yes, that's the dilemma. You want to tie your best players down, but you'll inevitably give out more and more contracts to keep your best players, causing your balance to go chronically into the red. First time you have to make tough decisions in your career! Remember of course, the increased training will make a salient difference to your more professional players, including youths.

I am not losing as much money as I expected, its staying around the 50000 to 60000 at the moment. I have managed to replace some of the players that left but they are not as good as the ones left.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

You'd think Hassocks (sans Keymer) would be a local rival. You could add them with the IGE.

I have my version of C&M. Promoted behind me every season and we meet in every cup competition.

I'm going to let the rivalries develop naturally.  I just don't know what it takes to get one started.

I checked the Rival Clubs tab in the IGE and I actually do have one rivalry:  AFC Uckfield Town IV.  They are only at 31/100 though.  I guess that's not enough to show up in game.  I don't know how that rivalry started and I haven't played them since my first or second season.

2 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

I'm going to let the rivalries develop naturally.  I just don't know what it takes to get one started.

I checked the Rival Clubs tab in the IGE and I actually do have one rivalry:  AFC Uckfield Town IV.  They are only at 31/100 though.  I guess that's not enough to show up in game.  I don't know how that rivalry started and I haven't played them since my first or second season.

I think you need 50+ for the rivalry to show up. At least that's the figure for favourite people/teams. Down there in Mid Sux you've got your Fields of Ucks, Cucks, F.... airwarp ..... :stop:

By the way, in my Fairwarp save I noticed Uckfield (III) used to get all the best intakes. I drove my Ford fiesta up the road and filled the back seat with 2 or 3 each year!

3 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

By the way, in my Fairwarp save I noticed Uckfield (III) used to get all the best intakes. I drove my Ford fiesta up the road and filled the back seat with 2 or 3 each year!

I did something similar in FM17.  There was a university team - all players were under 23 I think - that had some great players.  Occasionally, I could lure one away.  They were so good, that just signing them caused my club rep to increase!  Once my rep went up, it got a little easier to sign more.  Eventually, I was at L12 with a club rep around 3000.  Not realistic, but it's how my fantasy football world developed.

12 hours ago, lionel messi said:

Mid Sussex League Premier Division & a cup won.

Capture.thumb.JPG.24bbb698e33f2701607e542d8248aedc.JPG

Ahead of 2 of my favourite club names - Dynamo Chicken Kiev, and Rottingdean!

I set myself a policy of only recruiting during youth intake week. Problem is steady leakage over the season. 3 defenders have just left, leaving me to call up 16 year old DCs to play in FB positions. Only 27* sods on the books at the moment, praying I don't lose any more defenders.

EDIT: Into December and lost 2 more. Full squad of 25 and falling .....

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Ahead of 2 of my favourite club names - Dynamo Chicken Kiev, and Rottingdean!

I set myself a policy of only recruiting during youth intake week. Problem is steady leakage over the season. 3 defenders have just left, leaving me to call up 16 year old DCs to play in FB positions. Only 27 sods on the books at the moment, praying I don't lose any more defenders.

I lost a lot of key players towards the end of the season but I drafted my youngsters in to replace them, most were 16 years old but the goalkeeper is only 15 years old.

1 minute ago, lionel messi said:

I lost a lot of key players towards the end of the season but I drafted my youngsters in to replace them, most were 16 years old but the goalkeeper is only 15 years old.

Yeh, I'm in November and I've lost 2 full backs in a week. My policy is not to recruit until March, intake day. Could be tricky.

32 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yeh, I'm in November and I've lost 2 full backs in a week. My policy is not to recruit until March, intake day. Could be tricky.

I have  been lucky to call upon my youths when needed, well the ones that have not been poached to other clubs lol 

image.thumb.png.58f33ac9e422bffe7c1c33d337bd524f.png

Do any of your amateur players have agents?  Gallagher has left 4 agents in the past two seasons. Earlier in the season, this agent demanded a new contract for Gallagher after a particularly good match performance.  I had to sign him to a new amateur contract as a Key Player.

If you read it all, you'll notice that agent Luke Morris is also the agent for Harry Kane and others. I'm sure he had lots of time for a player like Gallagher.

Here's the player in question:

image.thumb.png.fa20592b980deb10505cf86e53366d6f.png

He signed with another club recently and I was able to re-sign him back.  That's why his league appearances only shows 1 match.

1 minute ago, jwchriste said:

image.thumb.png.58f33ac9e422bffe7c1c33d337bd524f.png

Do any of your amateur players have agents?  Gallagher has left 4 agents in the past two seasons. Earlier in the season, this agent demanded a new contract for Gallagher after a particularly good match performance.  I had to sign him to a new amateur contract as a Key Player.

If you read it all, you'll notice that agent Luke Morris is also the agent for Harry Kane and others. I'm sure he had lots of time for a player like Gallagher.

yes I have had many players who have sacked their agents.

1 minute ago, lionel messi said:

yes I have had many players who have sacked their agents.

I haven't checked my other players.  The only reason I noticed was that this one player kept sacking his agent.

4 hours ago, jwchriste said:

I haven't checked my other players.  The only reason I noticed was that this one player kept sacking his agent.

Yes, a few including an agent for a very low-ability kid who demands a new contract every time he gets a shot at the first team. Whenever he sacks his agent at my request he hires an even nastier one the same day!

The daft thing is they insist on "contracts" for zero quid with no dates.

I suspect this element of the game is like premier level referees rocking up on our parks. The SI-coded game can't 'see' our sub-level 6.

I am in the Southern Combination League Division 2 now, Have to play slightly more league games now, I thought I might have been in the FA Vase this season, it might have helped me clear a little of the debt that we have got, maybe next season I should be in it if I get promoted.

L15 done

image.thumb.png.741245a63014a574351dbbd0add5bf52.png

I originally started this save with a 4123DM wide formation.  I couldn't find many suitable DMs but I could find quite a few center mids, so I have been playing a 433 wide.  After hearing all this talk about three strikers, I decided to drop the AML/R and add some more strikers for a 433 narrow formation.  Found three winners to accompany the good one I already had.  They scored quite a bit, but the beginning of the season was an adventure on defence at times.  Things tightened up as the season wore on.  My team was playing by the motto: "The best defence is a good offence but good goalkeeping helps."

And, C&M failed to follow me on promotion.  They missed by two points.  I'm going to miss them.

Yeah, I've found the 3-striker combo guarantees wins at this level no matter how vulnerable your defence is.

You'll miss your friendly rival - mine is poised to be runners-up to us yet again and meet us in most of the cup finals. The manager absolutely hates me - love it!

I'm having a 'mare of a transfer window - you'd think they don't affect us but league clubs have started calling and Barnet and Northampton have waved cash at my teenager key players. I've lost 4 this January - 2 strikers and 2 defenders, and my squad is down to 24. Praying for no more injuries until March.

Aargh - lost 5; 23 left :-(

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yeah, I've found the 3-striker combo guarantees wins at this level no matter how vulnerable your defence is.

You'll miss your friendly rival - mine is poised to be runners-up to us yet again and meet us in most of the cup finals. The manager absolutely hates me - love it!

I'm having a 'mare of a transfer window - you'd think they don't affect us but league clubs have started calling and Barnet and Northampton have waved cash at my teenager key players. I've lost 4 this January - 2 strikers and 2 defenders, and my squad is down to 24. Praying for no more injuries until March.

Aargh - lost 5; 23 left :-(

League clubs are approaching my players nearly all the time now, I have also been getting management offers from a few league clubs as well.

Now going into my 3rd season with back-to-back promotions - will be in Northern counties east league div 1. I've lost my best players over this season and am looking for some replacements and possible improvements, going through the released players from slightly higher leagues. Most are willing to come but my board are allowing a max appearance fee of £25... Most of these players are wanting £150+. 

Struggling to sign any barring youngsters, which is okay but they're just not good enough for the league im coming into - what can i do to get the board to increase the max wage? I've asked for a wage improvement and they accepted but this only changed the max wage from £20 to £25 which is shambolic. Also can't offer any other contract apart from £0 p/w with appearance fees etc. Assuming this is down to our finances but can anyone give me any tips on this?

14 hours ago, TerrenceG17 said:

Now going into my 3rd season with back-to-back promotions - will be in Northern counties east league div 1. I've lost my best players over this season and am looking for some replacements and possible improvements, going through the released players from slightly higher leagues. Most are willing to come but my board are allowing a max appearance fee of £25... Most of these players are wanting £150+. 

Struggling to sign any barring youngsters, which is okay but they're just not good enough for the league im coming into - what can i do to get the board to increase the max wage? I've asked for a wage improvement and they accepted but this only changed the max wage from £20 to £25 which is shambolic. Also can't offer any other contract apart from £0 p/w with appearance fees etc. Assuming this is down to our finances but can anyone give me any tips on this?

I think that's just part of the growing pains of lower league management. It's a challenge - your finances aren't good enough to splash on better players but, in order to improve your finances, you need to win as much as you can and get promoted but, your finances aren't good enough to splash on better players but,...

There's really not much you can do except win more to attract more fans and go as far as you can in cup competitions for prize money plus additional gate receipts.  Are you big enough to schedule pre-season friendlies against well known clubs which will fill the stadium?  You could try that, it's worked on previous iterations of FM.  Probably not worth it though if your stadium isn't very big - you'll pay more to attract a big name club to play than you'll make at the gate.

17 hours ago, TerrenceG17 said:

Totally agree with what jwchristie said. I'll add a further observation though. At this level you don't actually need the best players. When all the teams are low quality, what matters more than anything is your tactics. By having superior tactics to your AI opponents you still have the upper hand.

At the moment down in level 20 my players are vastly superior to the opposition, so that even losing half mt first team and having to promote new intake kids to play competitive matches, the squad is still superior to any opposition; as a result I can fire up one tactic and keep going relentlessly. However, when I get to the point - in the odd cup competition or later league when I meet opposition who are stronger than me I will pay attention to opposition reports, OIs, tweak tactics to maximise small advantages/minimise disadvantages and make constant adjustments during matches. The point is, your human mind is vastly superior to the AI in making the most of tactics.

So scout carefully (this is very time-consuming), look for young players with the right personality and ability to follow your instructions.

32 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

So scout carefully (this is very time-consuming), look for young players with the right personality and ability to follow your instructions.

I don't even scout!  I've only signed players that I've invited to trials and those are the players that offer their services to me through the scouting report.  I do have a scout (one) but he is only scouting the next match.

Hi dan and everyone haha. I know dan not long done this file. But had a idea (if someone already suggested this fair enough sorry but I’m not going to look at all pages 👍).

im not sure if anyone knows the league structure for the lower leagues this season but if so then why not start on FM19 level 22 now (if you doing one). 

All going well in theory it’ll be ready for FM19.

you don’t need to start from prem to level 22. If I remember from level 12/13 the change is from? 

So why not use current file and change from level 12 (for example down) 

i would do it my self but it a little to advance for me haha. I know we had problems with this file for so long but in the end we found the problem and this time IF there was one we can all help like we did.

it just a thought maybe we could have the file ready and with the game months away to be released no one will ask we’re you at when will you release it.

please don’t bombard me with stupid msg. Like I said if I knew how to do it I would start now and try have it ready.

ps I’m on my 7 season won 7 promotion and won all cups well except each season knocked out in one cup each season and just got free transfers and youth

3 hours ago, jwchriste said:

I don't even scout!  I've only signed players that I've invited to trials and those are the players that offer their services to me through the scouting report.  I do have a scout (one) but he is only scouting the next match.

Yeh me too. By scouting at this level I mean take a good look at all the players that are presented to you. Set up dozens of U18 friendlies for triallists, scrutinize your coach reports etc.

2 hours ago, Howie8217 said:

Hi dan and everyone haha. I know dan not long done this file. But had a idea (if someone already suggested this fair enough sorry but I’m not going to look at all pages 👍).

im not sure if anyone knows the league structure for the lower leagues this season but if so then why not start on FM19 level 22 now (if you doing one). 

you don’t need to start from prem to level 22. If I remember from level 12/13 the change is from? 

i would do it my self but it a little to advance for me haha. I know we had problems with this file for so long but in the end we found the problem and this time IF there was one we can all help like we did.

it just a thought maybe we could have the file ready and with the game months away to be released no one will ask we’re you at when will you release it.

please don’t bombard me with stupid msg. Like I said if I knew how to do it I would start now and try have it ready.

ps I’m on my 7 season won 7 promotion and won all cups well except each season knocked out in one cup each season and just got free transfers and youth

Dan's well ahead of you there - he's already doing research for what's needed in FM19. You can assume he knows what he's doing! I expect to still be playing this file until about February though.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Dan's well ahead of you there - he's already doing research for what's needed in FM19. You can assume he knows what he's doing! I expect to still be playing this file until about February though.

Hi ye I do remember him saying something lol had a light bulb moment lol plus he did say he was not going to do a level 22 so was a bit courisos if he is or not. God ye i can imagine he knows what he doing

3 hours ago, Howie8217 said:

Some levels are  unlikely to be replicated perfectly, i.e regional firsts won't be promoting all play-off winners only the best judged on points per game. (I've done a 20 team play-off system across the 7 divisions on my personal file for the 5 promotion spots). It's been a ton of work and I've only gone down to step 8.

I can see the inability to truly replicate acting as a discouragement. I don't know how Dan felt about it after our previous discussion (a page or two back) though. 

2 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

Some levels are  unlikely to be replicated perfectly, i.e regional firsts won't be promoting all play-off winners only the best judged on points per game. (I've done a 20 team play-off system across the 7 divisions on my personal file for the 5 promotion spots). It's been a ton of work and I've only gone down to step 8.

I can see the inability to truly replicate acting as a discouragement. I don't know how Dan felt about it after our previous discussion (a page or two back) though. 

I think many of us will tolerate minor imperfections of authenticity, particularly those who start at level 22 and might never get that high up the pyramid!

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

I think many of us will tolerate minor imperfections of authenticity, particularly those who start at level 22 and might never get that high up the pyramid!

:thup: I personally think the license it allows for creativity could result in some fun formats. 

I would be happy just to have the layout correct even if the aforementioned promotion issues required a little creative license to work out.

What with the changes in place for the next 2 seasons, I would not expect a more faithful creation until FM20. 

1 hour ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I would be happy just to have the layout correct even if the aforementioned promotion issues required a little creative license to work out.

What with the changes in place for the next 2 seasons, I would not expect a more faithful creation until FM20. 

Yeah, it's definitely a transitional period. 

Rothesay_Bay_L20_2020.jpgupload an image

Germany out!!!!! Meanwhile, at the other end of the universe ….

For the first time in all my 25 years of CM/FM campaigns I managed a clean-sweep, 100% record for a season. Got a bit hairy towards the end when my comfortable league victories turned into last-minute single-goal wins due to my having to fast-track new intake kids into the first team to cover for the continuous haemorrhage of first team regulars (I had one versatile (i.e. useless everywhere) squad player have to retrain in new positions 5 times over the season and became a first team midfieldish regular until he too buggered off). To more than compensate, I begged six defectors to rejoin us and whilst 3 looked down on us, 3 – including 2 fan favourites – returned just in time for starring roles in the three cup finals.

I've have a starting XI I use for league matches, generally my best players.  I have a second starting XI I use for the cup competitions (until I get to the quarter/semi finals) which are all my subs + other senior team members that would otherwise not get any starts.  Every other match I'm swapping all my players in/out.

I just realized that there is an option in one of the drop-downs to save my team selections. All that time I wasted swapping out all my players every other game...  I should probably pay more attention to the other options in all the drop downs.  Probably some other useful stuff in there.

On 28/06/2018 at 10:13, jwchriste said:

I just realized that there is an option in one of the drop-downs to save my team selections. All that time I wasted swapping out all my players every other game...  I should probably pay more attention to the other options in all the drop downs.  Probably some other useful stuff in there.

Ha ha, thanks for the heads up. 25 years and I never knew that either!

Mind you, I keep having to alter my line-ups due to poachers. Level 19 and bloody Swansea City and West Brom came snooping. Obviously my lads weren't gonna say no.

I've finally met a worthy opponent - a team a level above us who also get comfortably promoted as champions every season, but more to the point, is the team that constantly nicks our best players – eight over the last 2 seasons – 2 of whom returned, but 5 others who lined up against us in a cup tie and totally rumbled our tactics. Took 118 minutes in the pouring rain to make the breakthrough. I’m sure we’ll meet again to renew our rivalry.

Just now, phnompenhandy said:

I've been in situations when this has dragged on for 6 months with transfer embargo only for the deal to break down.

I had a similar situation in FM17.  Just wondering if any of the lower league managers using Dan's database ever had a successful tycoon takeover, while still in the very low levels.  I'm only L14 at the moment.

1 minute ago, jwchriste said:

I had a similar situation in FM17.  Just wondering if any of the lower league managers using Dan's database ever had a successful tycoon takeover, while still in the very low levels.  I'm only L14 at the moment.

Well in my last save I went professional, so I guess any random things can happen!

Mind you I abandoned that save because I thought it was too unrealistic, but in my new save I'm finding i'm over-dominating like Leo Messi anyway. I'm looking to you guys to find out when it becomes challenging.

Archived