[FM18] E22 - England to Level 22

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Turean said:

Right, the clubs I've tried this on are all semi-pro (Combined Counties League and others at that level).

Just looking at the editor - part-time contracts are coded at the league level for key players and 1st teamers at level 7.  Below that, the contract types are all left blank at the league level.  The individual clubs could have options set, I didn't look at them.  My guess is that if it is left blank, the game's logic uses some combination of chairman profile and club finances to determine if you are allowed to offer part-time contracts.

You'll probably have to play and grow your finances a bit before you're allowed to offer part-time contracts.  Us amateur players probably have a while yet before we have to worry about it.

3 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

Just looking at the editor - part-time contracts are coded at the league level for key players and 1st teamers at level 7.  Below that, the contract types are all left blank at the league level.  The individual clubs could have options set, I didn't look at them.  My guess is that if it is left blank, the game's logic uses some combination of chairman profile and club finances to determine if you are allowed to offer part-time contracts.

You'll probably have to play and grow your finances a bit before you're allowed to offer part-time contracts.  Us amateur players probably have a while yet before we have to worry about it.

So if I wanted to add part-time contracts to the database for those leagues, what is the best way to do that?  I am looking at this thread but cannot get that setting to appear like they have in the screenshots.  Unfortunately I've got zero experience with the db editor.

11 minutes ago, Turean said:

So if I wanted to add part-time contracts to the database for those leagues, what is the best way to do that?  I am looking at this thread but cannot get that setting to appear like they have in the screenshots.  Unfortunately I've got zero experience with the db editor.

If you're desperate to offer your players contracts, you can do it via the IGE instead.

I'm not sure which part you're having trouble with, but I'm guessing it's the same thing that took me a couple minutes to figure out.

Under Advanced Rules, open the league of interest in the left drop-down.  Then double click on the name circled in red:

image.thumb.png.58a9ec0ce3a4480bfe2c4b1739081f6c.png

Then, select Contract Types:

image.thumb.png.2facb641dba1068d834cb94d10ec5e96.png

You shouldn't have any issues finding the same screen for each individual team.

Although, you may still have to edit finances to improve them.  It may be that setting it to part-time just means that is the maximum type of contract you can offer at the start of the game.  Your board may still not actually let you do it if you don't have the financial support.

12 hours ago, Dan BHTFC said:

Just been reading up about the 'Super Play-Offs' for being promoted into the National League North and South, only 6 teams get relegated from North and South, from this new season there will be 4 leagues below, instead of 3 so 4 champions are promoted and then only 2 of the 4 playoff winners will go up based on highest average points. I think this will be hard to replicate in a database!!

I thought the rule of the new play off system was for the 4 play off teams to be randomly drawn against each other and the winners of the ties went up...

3 minutes ago, lionel messi said:

There is also a extra league at level 7&8

Capture.thumb.JPG.f997dc86656258018fbea46cbb492428.JPG

I knew about the extra leagues at level 7 and 8 but it is the play offs that are complicated...

I was sure it was as simple as the top 4 teams went up and the 4 teams in second played off for the final 2 positions...but from my reading, it sounds like more than second place hit the play offs to get to the final 2 places to get promotion

My only club legend player - Chris Allen (real player too) - now 35yrs old, signed by me when we were in L22 and has been a fan favorite every year, just comes back from a short injury the day before our last cup final match of the season: and RETIRES.  One more match.  Come on, man!  I was going to play him too.  He hadn't even hinted at retirement before that.

I forgot to update my progress last season (L18) so here's a quick summary:

Best FM18 season I've ever had.  Won every single match except for one friendly draw in the pre-season.  Outscored the opposition 69-9 in 20 matches of league play.  Won all 6 cups.  To be honest, it got quite boring mid-season.  The only real excitement came in the first three cup finals where I (1) came from behind in the 2nd half, (2) won on penalties when my GK blocked 3 shots, and (3) won in extra time.  Had very little injury trouble in my starting XI or subs, and no players left the club to sign with other clubs.

Now, current progress (L17):

image.thumb.png.804723a4d4a0652419dd02d4fbe3bb1f.png

I found league play quite a bit more exciting this season.  Probably due to increased injuries and that C&M club which seems almost as good as my K&H side.  Two players signed elsewhere, including my club legend, but I was able to immediately lure them back.  Currently sitting on £90k, but the board still won't let me improve my youth facilities.

37 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

Best FM18 season I've ever had.  Won every single match except for one friendly draw in the pre-season.  Outscored the opposition 69-9 in 20 matches of league play.  Won all 6 cups.  To be honest, it got quite boring mid-season.  The only real excitement came in the first three cup finals where I (1) came from behind in the 2nd half, (2) won on penalties when my GK blocked 3 shots, and (3) won in extra time.  Had very little injury trouble in my starting XI or subs, and no players left the club to sign with other clubs.

I found league play quite a bit more exciting this season.  Probably due to increased injuries and that C&M club which seems almost as good as my K&H side.  Two players signed elsewhere, including my club legend, but I was able to immediately lure them back.  Currently sitting on £90k, but the board still won't let me improve my youth facilities.

try upgrading your junior coaching budget and youth coaching budget, you will get some good youths come through.

37 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

try upgrading your junior coaching budget and youth coaching budget, you will get some good youths come through.

1 hour ago, lionel messi said:

I know what "junior coaching budget" is and have increased it twice to average.  What do you mean by "youth coaching budget"?  Do you mean youth recruitment, or youth level, or something else?

11 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

I know what "junior coaching budget" is and have increased it twice to average.  What do you mean by "youth coaching budget"?  Do you mean youth recruitment, or youth level, or something else?

yes I meant youth recruitment, my junior coaching budget is at exceptional now and my youth recruitment is at extensive.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:33, D_LO_ said:

The restructuring is a bit of a nightmare. I've nearly completed a file to step 9, kinda. Took me a while trying to work out the inter-divisional play-offs but the real killer is allocating the correct prospective divisions to each team, what with the new central premier division and other added leagues throughout the pyramid. The new boundaries have changed a lot, so getting accurate promotions/relegations is so much work. I think I'm going to stop at step 8 re. that particular aspect as there's another 14 divisions at step 9 I'd have to go through on google maps.

Anyway if you want to have a look at my file or if it might be of some use/interest, let me know and you can have it (I'm not sure if it will be compatible with FM19 though). I've also found an excel spreadsheet online with the league allocations to step 10.

I appreciate you plan on going further but it might help with the initial leagues... 

Can I have a look at your file please? can I also see the excel spreadsheet.

17 hours ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I knew about the extra leagues at level 7 and 8 but it is the play offs that are complicated...

I was sure it was as simple as the top 4 teams went up and the 4 teams in second played off for the final 2 positions...but from my reading, it sounds like more than second place hit the play offs to get to the final 2 places to get promotion

It's not too complicated.

The playoffs happen as normal in each league, giving you four playoff winners. These winners are then matched up against each other based on geography. It's a single leg, and whoever has the best regular-season record plays at home. The winners go up to Level 6.

There was an article in Sunday's Non League Paper where it said put of the 4 play-off winners the 2 teams with the best points per game would gain promotion, which you cannot recreate in the editor, my only way round it is to have 4 teams relegated from National North/South but then this wouldn't be a true database

5 minutes ago, Dan BHTFC said:

There was an article in Sunday's Non League Paper where it said put of the 4 play-off winners the 2 teams with the best points per game would gain promotion, which you cannot recreate in the editor, my only way round it is to have 4 teams relegated from National North/South but then this wouldn't be a true database

There is 4 teams relegated from each division anyway isn't there? that's how it looks for the 2018-19 season anyway.

4 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

What step are you referring to here, 3? (i.e. the 4 premier divisions). I'm certain there are inter-divisional play-offs at this level.

@lionel messi No there's 3 relegated from each. The Vanarama is king in non-league football. 

BTW I tried all of yesterday to insert regular play-offs with the 4 winners going into additional play-offs (at step 3 again) for the remaining 2 promotion spots but I'm really struggling to make it happen. So I might just go with the inter-divisional play-offs in my file between the four 2nd placed teams.

According to the league tables for next season there are 4 teams relegated from national league north and 4 teams relegated from national league south.

2 hours ago, D_LO_ said:

Another extra league at level 8 isn't coming in this season, it's too late now the allocations have been made.  They've already added an extra league to bring it up to 7 divisions as it is (please see the spreadsheet I provided above). It's pretty much spot on barring any withdrawals (Shaw Lane effected about 6 divisions by withdrawing). 

When they do have 8 divisions, which has been mooted for the season after next, there will still be play-offs however anyway. There will be 4 premier divisions with 3 relegations each. Therefore the 8 champions and again inter-divisional play-offs to decide the last 4. I'm afraid there's no avoiding it at that level either.  

I meant to say it'll be for the 19/20 season hence why relegations will be weird once again, looks like my file will be slightly fantasy next edition

7 minutes ago, Dan BHTFC said:

I meant to say it'll be for the 19/20 season hence why relegations will be weird once again, looks like my file will be slightly fantasy next edition

I would say.....take a year off

Let the league's settle and figure things out for the FM20 release than worry about the weird stuff going on. 

You deserve a rest 

1 minute ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I would say.....take a year off

Let the league's settle and figure things out for the FM20 release than worry about the weird stuff going on. 

You deserve a rest 

I probably do need a rest, but I get the editing bug.......

1 minute ago, D_LO_ said:

Yeah I can't even replicate a normal playoff leading to an inter-divisional playoff (I reckon it could be possible, I'm just not capable...that's the way a lot of leagues will be moving though long-term). The PPG decided play-off winner is just crazy but hey I improvised and had fun with it so you might think up something better than the real thing (if you choose to next year). 

4 relegation places from the National League North/South might be the only way round it

7 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

I don't think the Premier divisions are the biggest problem but I'm content with the inter-divisional play-off only. For something more orthodox you're probably right. 

The Regional First divisions though, 7 into 4, now that's where the fun starts. :D

Ah.....hadn't thought of that.....

Quick question. If you get promoted from L11 to L10 does it take a year before you enter the cup draws like FA Vase? Because I noticed that other clubs in my current league are in it but I am not. Just wondering if this is normal or I messed something up.

1 hour ago, Turean said:

Quick question. If you get promoted from L11 to L10 does it take a year before you enter the cup draws like FA Vase? Because I noticed that other clubs in my current league are in it but I am not. Just wondering if this is normal or I messed something up.

Exactly the same for me mate, started in Humber Prem Division 1 (L11) and in my second season up to Humber Prem (L10) still no cups - will have to wait a season for me to tell you :lol:

1 hour ago, TerrenceG17 said:
  • My club turned semi-pro this summer and i have a wage budget now but can only offer non-contracts to players, so not allowing me to tie them down and them be worth money. Anyone know why this is?

My club have just turned semi-pro, going up to level 12 after the summer break, I think I could lose a lot of money now.

2 hours ago, TerrenceG17 said:
  • My club turned semi-pro this summer and i have a wage budget now but can only offer non-contracts to players, so not allowing me to tie them down and them be worth money. Anyone know why this is?

Scroll up a few posts.  I literally had the same exact problem.  Basically, you will need to make a few small adjustments to the database file.

8 hours ago, TerrenceG17 said:

Semi-pro doesn't automatically mean you can offer part-time contracts.  It means you can now offer money in the form of non-contract or part-time contracts, but it's ultimately up to the board which they let you offer and for what player status (key, first team, etc.).  You'll probably just have to play for a while yet with non-contracts until the finances improve or the level of competition demands part-time contracts.

7 hours ago, lionel messi said:

My club have just turned semi-pro, going up to level 12 after the summer break, I think I could lose a lot of money now.

Yup, remember my experience. At this level, as soon as you start forking out for wages, there will be a significant shortfall between income and expenditure. You be wholly reliant on the board bailing you out monthly and there'll be no money for upgrades. It'll be a challenging transition to manage after years of coasting through the seasons.

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yup, remember my experience. At this level, as soon as you start forking out for wages, there will be a significant shortfall between income and expenditure. You be wholly reliant on the board bailing you out monthly and there'll be no money for upgrades. It'll be a challenging transition to manage after years of coasting through the seasons.

Already had 3 of my players go to football league clubs.

2 minutes ago, lionel messi said:

Already had 3 of my players go to football league clubs.

Yes, that's the dilemma. You want to tie your best players down, but you'll inevitably give out more and more contracts to keep your best players, causing your balance to go chronically into the red. First time you have to make tough decisions in your career! Remember of course, the increased training will make a salient difference to your more professional players, including youths.

Unless there is some magical formula that's in play, surely the points per game is as simple as most points :idiot:

@Dan BHTFC if you swapped the points per game to just most points, would that make the super play offs easier to build??

3 hours ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Unless there is some magical formula that's in play, surely the points per game is as simple as most points :idiot:

@Dan BHTFC if you swapped the points per game to just most points, would that make the super play offs easier to build??

There's not always the same number of teams in those league is there?

Rothesay_Bay_L21_2019.jpg

Second season finally done and dusted after delays due to the World Cup in the real world. With a settled squad and tactic that is overwhelmingly dominant at this level, I’m a bit miffed not to finish with a perfect record.  My one draw and cupset loss was to the same team who happen to be our closest rivals, who got promoted with us last season and have again this season after hassling us for 5 competitive matches, so they’ll continue to follow us around like a bad smell.

I do need to work out a solution to a repeated problem. When bad weather wipes out all the February fixtures, even though I arrange friendlies to keep the boys fit, they’re always rusty on their return and we crash out of cup semi-finals. Hmm, what’s the answer?

Only a couple of my academy kids were worth retaining, and I’m still looking for decent centre-backs and full-backs (they have pace but nothing else), but I can afford to wait 2 or 3 – or even 6 or 7 years without my current ones’ limitations affecting us. The reason is my one simplistic tactic is just too ridiculously good. I now have 8 strikers in my 31-man squad all with pace/acceleration of 11+. They are all short, weak, cowardly and a dim, but none of that matters when 3 of them are charging down a through ball past a pair of lumbering centre backs. There’s always a short pass and shot into an empty net on. Managers at this level don’t think to press or drop deep. I wonder how long I’ll get away with it.

5 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Oh you beautiful taxpayers! This should see me sweet for about 15 seasons

Rothesay_Bay_new_stadium_plans.jpg

Nice.  Since the database starts K&H (and most teams it seems) with 1000 capacity stadiums, I didn't want my board to build a new one too soon so I edited Adastra Park to make it brand new - gave it a "build date" of 2017.  I think I meant to increase the expansion capacity as well but forgot.  Hopefully, by the time I'm 20 years in, a 5000 seat stadium will still be sufficient.  If not, at least it will be a challenge to overcome.

Fun note:  I also changed the name of the stadium to "The Pub" (I thought it suited the club logo) and gave the club a nickname - "The Misfits."  So my supporters can go down to The Pub and cheer on The Misfits.

3 hours ago, jwchriste said:

Fun note:  I also changed the name of the stadium to "The Pub" (I thought it suited the club logo) and gave the club a nickname - "The Misfits."  So my supporters can go down to The Pub and cheer on The Misfits.

That's why we love the editor. Nice one!!

I don't know why my "stadium" had a capacity of 50 - I didn't touch that part. Still, I dare say the board will find me another piece of waste-ground to play on over the next 2 years. Then, a 5000 capacity stadium should take me to League Two and an increase to 7400 up to the Championship, maybe.

Update: over the close season a smattering of my squad have chosen to move onto pastures new, leaving me a little threadbare in a couple of positions. If I lose any more I might have to reduce training to minimise the risk of injuries. Really bummed to lose my top striker, but that's why I have heavy cover up top. All my 'senior' players have moved on - presumably they need to start earning money to support families; now my oldest players are currently 18 years old!

Finished L16:

image.thumb.png.50efd1fa310c1583d711656e501fa22f.png

The only loss was the Mid Sussex Senior Cup Semi-Final to Crawley Panthers.  We had to match up with them again for Edgar German Challenge Cup Final where we trailed 0-1 until we finally broke through in the 93rd minute in stoppage time, then proceeded to outscore them in extra time to win 3-2 in a nail-biter.

C&M were promoted with me again.  Between league matches and cups, I've played a lot of matches against them the last few seasons.  I'm surprised they haven't become a competitive rival.  I don't currently have any rivals.  K&H must be like Switzerland.

4 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

C&M were promoted with me again.  Between league matches and cups, I've played a lot of matches against them the last few seasons.  I'm surprised they haven't become a competitive rival.  I don't currently have any rivals. 

You'd think Hassocks (sans Keymer) would be a local rival. You could add them with the IGE.

I have my version of C&M. Promoted behind me every season and we meet in every cup competition.

Archived