Last Minutes Thriller In The Game and Overload

Now just after the Atletico-Barcelona match, i have been thinking, despite playing control possesion football, i am not satisfied for applying that kind of concious pressure in the last minutes of a match when i need goal. I don't even bother to select "overload" for a while because it ends with players trying ridiculous shots and having awful decisions, even if they are technical, good decision players. Working the ball into box doesn't work if you overload.

I would like to overload and take more risks but also avoid ridiculous tight angle shots in FM. It would be a joy to watch even if hadn't manage to score.I play control and possession but what i can do is only changing formation and philosophy to "attack". I never had any benefit from overload and it is not beneficial to me so i keep on with my tactics but it doesn't feel like "end game action".

Overload is like pressing the 'stupid' button. 

I understand that you're probably only using Overload when you desperately need a goal, but I struggle to understand why it seems to overrule almost all Player Instructions.

My goalkeeper starts punting it aimlessly downfield, even straight from defending a set piece (i.e. when I have no players forward); throw-ins are hurled down the line, irrespective of if there's even a player in that direction; players throughout my team start shooting as soon as they get within 35 yards of the goal, and regardless of whether there's a player in a better position.

I'm sure there's a way to set up so that going Overload is beneficial to your team, but I've never managed to get it to work. I just end up swearing at my players more.

Never had joy with overload either - in fact, l've often switched to standard/structured, pump into box, get stuck in, route one, early crosses, very high tempo with three up front. I've found this to be much more likely to yield a scruffy goal than anything with an attacking mentality.

Never had any luck with either attacking or overload when trying to get a goal.  In fact most games I lose are when a team gets the first goal and you just know it's going to be one of those games.  I have tried everything, direct passing, route one, going wider, nothing works.  In fact I find going on overload or attacking in the last minutes creates more off sides for your team which I find slightly bizarre considering you would think some opposition at least would play deep and defensive holding on to what they have.  That's part of the problem I think is that AI teams in FM don't really sit back and defend a lead as they might do IRL in my opinion.

IMO, Overload should only really be used in conjunction with a change of tactical positioning of your players. Too many people just click 'overload' and maybe alter a couple of instructions and are then perplexed when the game peters out with no other highlights. I've only ever found overload to be effective when I've, for example, stuck four people up front, moved the fullbacks to the wide midfield are etc. Of course, you're more at risk of losing more goals but that's the chance you take. 

22 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

IMO, Overload should only really be used in conjunction with a change of tactical positioning of your players. Too many people just click 'overload' and maybe alter a couple of instructions and are then perplexed when the game peters out with no other highlights. I've only ever found overload to be effective when I've, for example, stuck four people up front, moved the fullbacks to the wide midfield are etc. Of course, you're more at risk of losing more goals but that's the chance you take. 

Exactly.

Overload makes your team play with an ultra high tempo and risk, playing fast direct football.  It changes your team instructions.  Unless you have properly positioned players to take advantage of this, you'll be gifting the ball back to the opposition.  This will be exaggerated if the opposition have tightened up at the back (which they probably have done) - you'll be throwing a rock against a wall.

It's pointless just punting the ball forwards if you haven't got players there to use it.

Nothing is fool proof, but I've had some success with 'overload', as I use it in conjunction with a change of formation from one up top to an aggressive 4-4-2.  I never overload with just one up top because as previous contributors have pointed out, no point lumping the ball up field with no-one to receive it. I also make sure I have at least one strike in my squad who is good in the air and over 6'0" tall.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Exactly.

Overload makes your team play with an ultra high tempo and risk, playing fast direct football.  It changes your team instructions.  Unless you have properly positioned players to take advantage of this, you'll be gifting the ball back to the opposition.  This will be exaggerated if the opposition have tightened up at the back (which they probably have done) - you'll be throwing a rock against a wall.

It's pointless just punting the ball forwards if you haven't got players there to use it.

Despite the defensive blunder, one of the type of goal I enjoyed from a kept long-term save off prior releases (overload, both fbs on reckless pushing, pump ball into box, 3 central players in the box, one of which a makeshift target man consisting of an aerially dominant CB who would produce the flick-ons, gololol). Was even more effective lower-league, as it is easier to get physically far superior players for those respective levels. Not a guarantee for goals and shouldn't be. It's a numbers game of chance. Still pretty decent. Same as that run where my side didn't concede a goal past the 75th minute mark for like 4-5 months in-game time on I think 16 (pressing contain isn't enough, as it visibly doesn't suddenly cause a team's shape to change magically itself).

Archived