Strained wrist goalkeeper

Had a strange moment in a game against OGC Nice recently. Their goalkeeper got a sprained wrist in the first 2 minutes without me even having a single shot on goal. That in itself is strange but the goalie stayed on for the full 90 minutes doing some insane saves with his hands.

Is it possible to stay on with a sprained wrist as a goalie? Checking his history he was out for 8 days after that game.

16 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I've played a lot of games IRL with sprained fingers etc, so I'm sure it'll be possible with a sprained wrist too.

Quite a difference between a strained wrist & a strained finger when you're asking the wrist to hold form when saving a shot from a professional footballer or catching a high ball above your head & often under pressure, then there's the issue of additional damage caused by continuing playing for a full match.

I'd be calling this one as a probable bug in the injury code or poor base data that is being fed into the ME.

4 minutes ago, Barside said:

Quite a difference between a strained wrist & a strained finger when you're asking the wrist to hold form when saving a shot from a professional footballer or catching a high ball above your head & often under pressure.

When I say sprained finger, the worst one I had was a sprained thumb. Half the hand was blue/purple and swollen to twice as thick as usual. Was very painful, but still battled through it. Was able to do everything required, but there was pain every time though. I imagine a sprained wrist to be on that level. Happy to be wrong on that though, as I've not experienced it myself.

The level of pain will probably be on a par but with more shock events happening & you have to think of the knock on effects, I'd imagine that a strained thumb is probably not going to cause much restriction of movement in the other 4 digits (you'll be able to speak more on that) & you'll still have full articulation of the wrist, with a strained wrist you've instantly limited the range of movement in the wrist joint & probably restricted articulation of digits so spreading the hand, gripping a ball or making a fist are likely to range somewhere between uncomfortable to impossible.

in the 90's, Berger hit a shot so hard the German keeper (can't remember his name, did the cool Keeper of Dreams book), sprained his wrist. Still stayed on, kept a clean sheet too :(

might be an odd occurence, but in my opinion depends on the quality of the replacement coming on. i have a bigger problem with players playing on after head injuries. get a concussion, finish the match and then a couple of days off training. thats it. real life, theres a big fuss of if to sub a player, how long they are out etc. would like more news articles questioning a managers decision rather than forcing the decision itself

On 7/16/2017 at 23:18, Barside said:

The level of pain will probably be on a par but with more shock events happening & you have to think of the knock on effects, I'd imagine that a strained thumb is probably not going to cause much restriction of movement in the other 4 digits (you'll be able to speak more on that) & you'll still have full articulation of the wrist, with a strained wrist you've instantly limited the range of movement in the wrist joint & probably restricted articulation of digits so spreading the hand, gripping a ball or making a fist are likely to range somewhere between uncomfortable to impossible.

As someone that strained their wrist (playing golf actually) it hurt to even move my wrist for around 6 weeks [sleeping was a bitch btw]
I'd like to think I wasn't as badly affected had I have injured my right wrist (as a right handed person)

Thinking about it, it would only really affect you when diving for saves - otherwise you'd be able to pick yourself up and move on (particularly with a backpass, like why would this affect your wrist?)
If you're playing as Celtic [where they're overly dominant domestically] then your keeper is less likely to be as effected by this than the likes of [insert poor team here who concede 10+ SoT per game] - surely working on a logical perspective

edit: that said... pretty much my FM15 Juventus demo save had Buffon go down with a wrist/thumb injury after colliding with the post ingame, ruling him out instantly [and for 6+ months]

• SI Staff

It is possible to play on with a sprained wrist. Obviously once the heat of the match has died down and the injury has been assessed you would then expect the GK to be out for a period of time recovering. See Kasper Schmeichel this season for an example - he fractured a finger. Some injuries it is possible to play through (and then be out for a time recovering), some it is not and some are simply knocks that can be "run off".

• SI Staff
On 16/07/2017 at 20:26, lemeuresnew said:

might be an odd occurence, but in my opinion depends on the quality of the replacement coming on. i have a bigger problem with players playing on after head injuries. get a concussion, finish the match and then a couple of days off training. thats it. real life, theres a big fuss of if to sub a player, how long they are out etc. would like more news articles questioning a managers decision rather than forcing the decision itself

This is something we are aware of and reviewing for future versions.

As a goalkeeper at school level I saved a shot from close range where the impact caused a badly strained wrist. I can tell you there's no way you could carry on AND still make saves using the affected hand. I ended up with my arm in a sling for a week and then 6 weeks with a splint on before I could even consider trying to save any shots with that hand again. 

I appreciate that some hardy souls might brave it out and continue the match, my issue wouldn't be with that. The issue is their performance would be greatly hindered, certainly for any shots on the injured side.

• SI Staff
20 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

As a goalkeeper at school level I saved a shot from close range where the impact caused a badly strained wrist. I can tell you there's no way you could carry on AND still make saves using the affected hand. I ended up with my arm in a sling for a week and then 6 weeks with a splint on before I could even consider trying to save any shots with that hand again. 

I appreciate that some hardy souls might brave it out and continue the match, my issue wouldn't be with that. The issue is their performance would be greatly hindered, certainly for any shots on the injured side.

This of course depends on the severity of the sprain. Grade 1 and 2 (to a lesser extent) are playable through, but of course each case should be taken on its own merits. We currently don't differentiate between grades so this injury can cover a number of different scenarios. However it would certainly be worth logging anything you consider to be a bug here in our bugs section, for example a GK's performance not being at all hindered by injury.

22 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

everyone is different mate. and at school level, i think everyone would be weaker than they are as an adult right?

also, not every sprain is the same. ive worked construction, or more swinging a sledge hammer through brick walls with a sprained wrist. hurt, for sure, but i was fine. footballs and brick walls feel kinda similar right?

ive seen videos of players going on with a brake in there leg. obviously not a clear snap, but should put you down. adrenaline can make you do stupid things

7 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

everyone is different mate. and at school level, i think everyone would be weaker than they are as an adult right?

also, not every sprain is the same. ive worked construction, or more swinging a sledge hammer through brick walls with a sprained wrist. hurt, for sure, but i was fine. footballs and brick walls feel kinda similar right?

ive seen videos of players going on with a brake in there leg. obviously not a clear snap, but should put you down. adrenaline can make you do stupid things

Yes, school Level will be weaker than adults, certainly professionals. I agree with what you are saying, and which is why I put that I've no problem with some players playing on. Adrenaline will play a part in this like you say. However, in the modern game, there are also players who go down with the slightest contact and you see players being subbed with seemingly minor injuries. 

What I was getting at is that it should affect performance whereas the OP says the keeper went on to make lots of saves.

6 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

What I was getting at is that it should affect performance whereas the OP says the keeper went on to make lots of saves.

but have you ever met a mentally stable keeper? they enjoy getting kicked around when they go down for balls, they enjoy flying around. they laugh when they 'forget' there is a post there and whack into it... they are not your typical striker that flops around half the game :)

10 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

but have you ever met a mentally stable keeper? they enjoy getting kicked around when they go down for balls, they enjoy flying around. they laugh when they 'forget' there is a post there and whack into it... they are not your typical striker that flops around half the game :)

This made me laugh! Yep, you're spot on and for anyone who likes reading, the book Only The Goalkeeper To Beat is brilliant and looks at the psychology of goalkeeping (crazy, lonely, anti-football). 

Just now, BuryBlade said:

This made me laugh! Yep, you're spot on and for anyone who likes reading, the book Only The Goalkeeper To Beat is brilliant and looks at the psychology of goalkeeping (crazy, lonely, anti-football). 

will look that up, cheers :)

Archived