Too many offsides due to the PPM "Likes to try to beat offside trap"?

Is this the worst PPM in the game?

The end of the 2023/2024 season in my current save:

59007cee99adb_Offsides2023-24.thumb.JPG.0652d372c75db1c21230b0897e16b89f.JPG

Kane offside 181 times in 35 games? :lol:

Premiership stats can be found here but to quickly highlight the recent seasons:

2016/17 - Zlatan - 37
2015/16 - Defoe - 43
2014/15 - Benteke & Lukaku - 36
2013/14 - Suarez - 33
2012/13 - Benteke - 50
2011/12 - Adebayor - 52

The key point here?  PPM "Likes to try to beat offside trap.  Of the top 15 in my game, who has that PPM?

1) Harry Kane
2) Mauro Icardi
3) Maximiliano Romero
4) Ben Woodburn
5) Saido Berahino

That is likely PPM, likely also ME/defending weakness (plus attacking movement weakness). Mix it all and then it might be exaggerated by AI tactics (lone isolated forward making Kane the sole focal point of play for basically every attacking move). ;-) I.e. whilst it is true that teams in real football typically don't need 20 attempts on average to score (a 5% shot conversion in the team reports), that happens on FM for AI and human player long-term alike in the game for sure. At least some of that also may be ME-related, but it sure isn'T scripted to happen. It's just that teams in real football typically don't compress the attacking space against teams sitting ducks (extreme human player tactics) or keep half their team behind the ball for prolonged minutes of a season with 4 isolated players trying to construct attacking moves in the opposition final third for the bulk of matches (extreme AI tactics typically used when going all down the tables) likewise. ;)

The PPM seems the main culprit here, mind. Still Kane's in particular seems off the charts, suggesting AI tactics of Tottenham AI manager highlighting this further. Wonder what the individual record for a match was like. :D It's hard to find current numbers as SI don't publish this anymore, but for older iterations the average amount of offsides per match was hovering at about 5-6, basically what Kane averages alone. If Tottenham largely where on the attacking/dominating end (they most likely are) in the bulk of matches, and most attacking moves ended up targeting Kane as suggested in the above, that would roughly fit. That's still all a tad extreme, mind. :D

Yes you can, picking a role to mitigate against the trait is also worth considering.

TBH I'm not sure Kane should have that trait anyway but that's one for the Data forum.

8 minutes ago, Barside said:

Yes you can, picking a role to mitigate against the trait is also worth considering.

Pretty old in fact, doesn't always work though,;) (always makes me laugh this. :D )

SQPxcBs.jpg

At which point you have the option to a) sell the player who doesn't fit your system b) make up for that in some other way like building/adapting your system around his traits, ie Robben one-trickery,  I wish there was more of this whilst at the same time I wish the research was much more laid back with some of those (in particular forward run PPMs) but that's another matter...

@Fosse Interesting report this, likewise you posted you had Vardy on an Advanced Forward role (as a lone forward presumably?) In the above cases, that didn't keep Kane and company at least not from scoring pretty shedloads of goals so for every failed attempt he may have slipped an additionally time. I would still report this too.

Be interesting to see what mentality you are playing as well.  I find offsides are far more common when I am chasing a game, especially bizarrely the last 10-15 minutes when I start to throw men forward. It always confuses me because real life logic would suggest if a team is leading with 10-15 minutes to go they may drop deeper but I find the AI rarely seems to do this and if I have an attacking mentality I will just keep being offside.

2 hours ago, Svenc said:

@Fosse Interesting report this, likewise you posted you had Vardy on an Advanced Forward role (as a lone forward presumably?) In the above cases, that didn't keep Kane and company at least not from scoring pretty shedloads of goals so for every failed attempt he may have slipped an additionally time. I would still report this too.

IIRC he was an AF upfront with a DLF S, that game was an extreme case but he'd regularly be offside 4 or 5 times a game whereas in reality he's usually offside once a game at the most.

21 hours ago, herne79 said:

I'd raise it here for SI to take a look at, along with a copy of your game save uploaded https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/.

Are SI monitoring that forum?  I updated this thread with another example on the 7th April - no reply.  I also created this thread on 13th April and it's not been responded to either.

I appreciate SI staff have lots to do other than sit on the forum but if bug reports are requested, I find it very rude not to get any response in two or three weeks when you've taken the time to upload a PKM, provide screenshots etc.

As for this thread, this is the formation Spurs played against me.

5901d1ed463ed_SpursFormation.thumb.JPG.3a5e23655eebbd172dc895e09301e52c.JPG

Almost all the teams in the Premiership in my save play this shape.  In my two league games against Spurs, Kane was offside 6 times and 10 times

5901d4a77b4a9_HKOffisdes.thumb.JPG.068ad6db1503264f983205fc0f44fc23.JPG

45 minutes ago, Harpoon76 said:

Are SI monitoring that forum?

Yes of course they are, as you well know.

I have no idea why SI didn't respond to your other threads (I've also raised threads which went without response, as have many others), all I'd say is don't let it stop you raising issues.

Archived