[FM17] Maltese and it's not a poodle - Europe's new love affair

ifinnem

Inspired by many great posters on here (nod to @Jimbokav1971, @BoxToBox, @Jupjamie, etc) and something I've tried on previous versions...

Join me for a youth challenge on the sunny shores of Malta. Taking over a team with rich history but one that hasn't won the title since 2004/2005. Dom Mintoff is the new manager of

c86d528965c6eef54770ab43e6c289c3.png

Here is how the club shapes up on Day 1, no big surprises. We are of course semi-Pro. I can't remember but I think I bumped up the Youth Recruitment a notch in the pre-game editor knowing the issues with it on FM17 to date.

43679bc94bcc58084bf4a9282ae40b7e.png

And here is the squad, not terrible and as usual a few guys on loan who should be playing for us (and will be recalled!)

b3cb5ddb5072a1d22c3c1711b42dd59f.png

Aims and rules

• Win the league
  • Make enough money via Europe to turn Pro
  • Qualify for European group stages
  • Upgrade facilities
  • Progress to European knockout stages
  • Win European competition!

• I will rely (almost entirely) on players from the academy with the following exceptions
  • Allowed to sign anyone to act as a tutor but they cannot play competitive fixtures
  • Allowed to bring back anyone produced by our academy to play for us
  • If I decide its necessary, will be permitted 1 signing per season to help us progress (so I don't get fed up when I don't get a GK for 100 years :) )
  • Caveat on the signings is that I will not be allowed to manually scout regen lists or clubs lists, the players must come from known players my scouts find as I build out my knowledge and have regular assignments (mainly for the purposes of enlarging my staff and tutor pool)

Onwards and Upwards!!

I was midway through your aims and rules before I realised I'd just read this exact post over on FMN. I always enjoy reading these youth only (or as close to) in these tiny countries.

Good luck, I've a feeling you're going to need it.

(6 years later and I've finally made my second post!)

Season 1 - 2016/2017

Gonna keep these short, as this is obviously a long term challenge and the aim is to get through many seasons to develop the club and hence the quality of youth. Will have a separate post on intake day every season and probably do 5 year reviews also for key players and their progress

League

Never now quite what to expect in year 1 but very happy to exceed expectations and give us a shot at European cash as early as season 2!

3ed61e4da73a3e345b7d33854d2cc1eb.png

Squad performance

Ciantar was someone we recalled from loan so very happy with that. Overall pretty well rounded bunch which is fortunate for this kind of save

4268f24775eebe51c7d7be5cc11118df.png

Progress Tracker

b93ed5e95d21c1988ff6a1758fb91348.png

So what's the plan?

Just a few quick notes on my priorities for this stage of the save. Pretty simply really

1. Pray for unexpectedly good youth intakes :)
  2. Find a solid tactic and try to regularly qualify for Europe, ideally of course the Champions League qualifiers
  3. Upgrade junior coaching as fast as possible (raise CA of intakes)
  4. Start to improve personality of squad overall and especially key youths we get
  5. Save all our cash to enable us to turn Pro as soon as possible
  6. Start to invest in facilities once we are Pro

Turning Pro is really the big first milestone as it allows us to scout further afield, and hence attract better staff, train full time to speed development, offer longer contracts to retain players, etc.

Sounds very interesting, and a good start too. I think your plan is pretty solid - junior coaching is definitely the main thing to improve at the start, and after that it's all about just getting the cash together to turn Pro.

Good luck! I'll be following :) 

21 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

I love this type of save, and Malta is a great destination for it. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

On 3/21/2017 at 14:21, BoxToBox said:

Sounds like fun, love the list of aims, rules and exceptions. Good luck!

15 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Sounds very interesting, and a good start too. I think your plan is pretty solid - junior coaching is definitely the main thing to improve at the start, and after that it's all about just getting the cash together to turn Pro.

Good luck! I'll be following :) 

Thanks for the support!

Intake Season 1 - Feb/Mar 2017

19aead2c8cd57486384c83f28dfcc550.png.

Well I guess given my squad makeup, quality over quantity is probably not bad. Can't see anyone except Micallef making the grade. (Not in the pic but he is designated "17-A")
Nice attribute spread and also a good spot given our best DC is in his mid 30s

3fa70e95467adc315672df5ddaa56547.png

Season 2 - 2017/2018

Towards the end of the first season things didn't quite feel like they were clicking and I saw a people having success with narrower formations (@BoxToBox notably)  with multiple strikers. The switch to a 433 (literally 3 up top) brought immediate dividends and is being adopted moving forward.

League

Wow that was an unexpected impact. Credit to the tactic change inspired by the community and our first of (hopefully) many titles and tickets into the Champion League

dd6d8504be7896950f5d2dbd141b45fe.png

Europe

Yeah, I was as stunned as you are probably... A nice boost to get the finances rolling (the youth team nearly mucked it but in the 2nd round tho :stop:)

7f1cd9d2d9de44b2a2818b2f6ef71ac8.png

Squad performance

Lots of goals from the front 3 and stellar ratings from the FBs

be2d2fe58fd02029a960a675e07aa7c4.png

Progress Tracker

First coaching upgrade approved and expect to see the league get a bump next year after our European exploits

f8207eb7acb8bae21e19e86d90cbac6d.png

Don't think you are getting away without explaining the 7-1 away defeat to Flamutari in the Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round! :herman:

Imagine how they must feel. They won 7-1 on the night and lost on away goals. :lol:

Interesting colour coding for the different attribute levels. :thup:

5 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Don't think you are getting away without explaining the 7-1 away defeat to Flamutari in the Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round! :herman:

Imagine how they must feel. They won 7-1 on the night and lost on away goals. :lol:

Interesting colour coding for the different attribute levels. :thup:

Haha, yeah that was a little crazy. The drop off from 1st team to youth/reserves is pretty steep apparently!!

I change all my skins like this 1) Highest attribute being green then blue -> orange -> red 2) Make accomplished in a position show blue instead of just lighter green

Intake Season 2 - Feb/Mar 2018

8c55a02d3c816d4634d28594f14d520d.png.

Very happy with this for my squad. All my FBs are old so the position is a definite need, plus same for MC, especially an allrounder type. Less sure about Zerafa but perhaps I'll try make him a DLF striker. Vella will be 18-A and Zammit 18-B of course

1a6823fd822006ef86759a08406c9d65.png

8214f2de345c4d7ac293d9a8da01717a.png

Season 3 - 2018/2019

Good times here in Malta. Really getting into things now, especially with tactic settled.

League

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the league changed after year one from 12 teams and 3x11=33 games to 14 teams and 2x13=26 games which actually suits this save perfectly. We retained the tile but it was pretty close!!! We lost our penultimate game meaning we had to better their result on the final day. Phew! Bonus we rubbed it in winning the cup final against them too :brock:

639b5856c221768de5c18592bcf65949.png

Europe

Much less interesting that last time. Made it thru the first round of qualifying then tough draw against Ludogorets saw us lose both ties. Good news (is it?) that from next season the Maltese champions join the competition from the 2nd round of qualifying

Squad performance

Less goals all round pretty much but still a solid year. Our top two prospects from last season (Vella 18-A, Zammit 18-B) get into the team and show they're not out of their depth. Vella has also been nicely tutored away from his Temperamental personality

943df46112f43d79acd96394ef8a0ee8.jpg

Progress Tracker

Another coaching upgrade approved and the league rep is progressing nicely as can be seen from the 50-60% rise in TV money

3ee148a4e06fdb6ad51d7abd3ea26b48.png

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Quickly taking control of the domestic scene, lovely stuff.

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

This looks promising, @ifinnem

Good luck going forward!

Thanks lads. Don't quite feel we are dominant in Malta but probably not too far off that either. Figure I need £2m+ in the bank to go pro, feel a ways off right now! (We have almost £800k)

Forgot to look at team of the year, gonna try do that after every couple seasons

Here was the crew for season 2... I think the big error is that Ciantar is not accomplished at STC so doesn't show up even tho his average rating and goals far exceed Friggieri

60755796e36bd09770464ac3497529ad.png

Archived