Transfer rumours and the introduction of newspapers

In real life football neither clubs or fans can go without transfer rumours who eventually might sparkle a player to ultimately sign for a club. I know that there has been some advancement in FM17 but it´s not enough. We need transfer rumours to even have a sole whole own listing for a manager (you) to read. Transfer rumours are what make fans and clubs happy or even sad when they don´t go through. The so called silly season flux that lasts each summer and each winter needs to be upgraded vastly in FM18 i hope. What´s the benefits? You can actually read a column in the game where rumours are dedicated an own listing and therefore you easier get the sense of players looking to move on without even being transfer listed or in fact being transfer listed. As an optional you can have the newspaper writing the story printed next to the rumour (s). 

The newspaper option should also be vastly upgraded for future FM´s. Ok so we all love to read our inbox but we would love to read a newspaper too with facts about matches, players, fans, rumours, issues. Each country would have it´s own newspapers just like IRL. It would also be a hugely important way of keeping up to follow with what´s happening in your league and especially in other leagues. You would also get a sense of dealing with journalist (specific ones). In fact newspapers are always asking question from IRL managers so why this isn´t added more in FM i don´t know. Instead of clicking around to follow another league you would just go to the newspapers icon and click on a newspaper and then start following whatever you want. 

And the mix of two worlds colliding is of course transfer rumours + newspapers. Here they both could fill an ultimate role with papers writing storys during silly season years or World Cup years with players wanting/not wanting to move clubs. These rumours could of course both be true or false but it would give you a sense of what´s going on. 

Like per example this would eventually be what a newspaper is consistent of in the game:

-Transfer rumours

-Check up on the league in which country the newspaper comes from

-Spotting the next Maradonas of the football world

-Stories about club management both yours and others

-Financial details about your and other clubs

-Breaking storys

-Players resumes from journalists praising players or not praising players

But ultimately the biggest issues is to deal with rumours in FM, this is an area that is unexplored, yet both in IRL and in the game it´s a hugely important aspect of the game. And you would want to read each transfer rumour that is of interest to you. SI have done a great step in introducing pre-contract details in the game, therefore it would make sense if they took a step and hugely updated transfer rumours or even manager rumours for that fact. 

1 hour ago, Marabak said:

I've always thought a Match of the Day-esque highlight reel would be a good thing to watch every gameweek :)

I'll second this. Been wanting something like that for a while, especially for watching other leagues.

1 hour ago, Marabak said:

I've always thought a Match of the Day-esque highlight reel would be a good thing to watch every gameweek :)

15 minutes ago, Carlito85 said:

I'll second this. Been wanting something like that for a while, especially for watching other leagues.

But you can already do this when you have the league on full detail. Clicking the tv box icon next to the score, or clicking to see all highlights, will give you your highlight reel for each match. 

3 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

But you can already do this when you have the league on full detail. Clicking the tv box icon next to the score, or clicking to see all highlights, will give you your highlight reel for each match. 

Yea I'm aware we can do that, but it would be nice to get a bit of a presentation overhaul into a mini-highlights show, with some analysis on each team and season predictions from hosts/pundits and post-match interviews from managers/players etc. It might also be more helpful if we're playing on a computer that can't handle the full details of each league.

13 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

It might also be more helpful if we're playing on a computer that can't handle the full details of each league.

My pc is poor in comparison to many. I decided to whack all top division European leagues on full detail. In chugs along but I don't mind as I prefer the in depth feel of the game world. 

6 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

My pc is poor in comparison to many. I decided to whack all top division European leagues on full detail. In chugs along but I don't mind as I prefer the in depth feel of the game world. 

Yea I'm pretty much the same. I'm playing in the lower leagues in England right now, but I have the top leagues from almost every nation in Europe, MLS, J-League and China running because I love the idea that my career could take me anywhere, instead of being confined to 5 or 6 different places.

14 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

Yea I'm pretty much the same. I'm playing in the lower leagues in England right now, but I have the top leagues from almost every nation in Europe, MLS, J-League and China running because I love the idea that my career could take me anywhere, instead of being confined to 5 or 6 different places.

It also gives a more realistic transfer market I find, and where one nation won't necessarily dominate the game world. 

On 24/02/2017 at 21:33, Carlito85 said:

Yea I'm aware we can do that, but it would be nice to get a bit of a presentation overhaul into a mini-highlights show, with some analysis on each team and season predictions from hosts/pundits and post-match interviews from managers/players etc. It might also be more helpful if we're playing on a computer that can't handle the full details of each league.

The problem with this is many users struggle to watch their own matches at anything more than key highlights so they aren't going to spend the time watching other matches from a different league.

3 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

The problem with this is many users struggle to watch their own matches at anything more than key highlights so they aren't going to spend the time watching other matches from a different league.

It would still be a great option to have though. If it's not your style personally then it's not something you have to watch. In my opinion though, which I've mentioned before is that it could open up avenues for us to appear as a guest on the show from time to time and answer questions from the host and pundits. Kind of an interesting extension to press conference mechanic.

16 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

It would still be a great option to have though. If it's not your style personally then it's not something you have to watch. In my opinion though, which I've mentioned before is that it could open up avenues for us to appear as a guest on the show from time to time and answer questions from the host and pundits. Kind of an interesting extension to press conference mechanic.

Have you seen the Press Conferences on FM? The same old questions over & over again, the Twitter thing almost as boring as the real thing and appears to be a pi$$ take of SI Forum contributors, they have a deadline day option to take part in even if you manage a minor club who's transfers are not even of interest to the Managers own Mother.. Neither are great and as said you are able to watch any match and the Press will ask you about other games. When it comes to Match of the Day Sky+ has been a godsend as I can now fast forward the dull presenters.  From  examples currently in the game I cannot see this being any different. Sit through a highlight package of up to 12 games a division( more in on Cup weekends) and make the same comment on each one over and over again

Perhaps we should have ''606'' too where dull twats who know sod all about Football get their 5 mins of fame with Robbie Savage.

6 hours ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Have you seen the Press Conferences on FM? The same old questions over & over again, the Twitter thing almost as boring as the real thing and appears to be a pi$$ take of SI Forum contributors, they have a deadline day option to take part in even if you manage a minor club who's transfers are not even of interest to the Managers own Mother.. Neither are great and as said you are able to watch any match and the Press will ask you about other games. When it comes to Match of the Day Sky+ has been a godsend as I can now fast forward the dull presenters.  From  examples currently in the game I cannot see this being any different. Sit through a highlight package of up to 12 games a division( more in on Cup weekends) and make the same comment on each one over and over again

Perhaps we should have ''606'' too where dull twats who know sod all about Football get their 5 mins of fame with Robbie Savage.

I'm not saying we should necessarily get full post-match analysis from Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon, but rather there's room for improvement. Yes, the press conferences and social media features are repetitive but they're a foundation in place that can be built on. What's to stop them expanding the dialogue and questions/answers in general, regardless on whether or not this kind of feature was added? All of these things are optional so if you don't like them, simply end your conference early, or decline the invite to take part in something or whatever, but in my opinion it would add to the experience and would be welcome if it came hand in hand with a media interaction revamp.

24 minutes ago, Carlito85 said:

I'm not saying we should necessarily get full post-match analysis from Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon, but rather there's room for improvement. Yes, the press conferences and social media features are repetitive but they're a foundation in place that can be built on. What's to stop them expanding the dialogue and questions/answers in general, regardless on whether or not this kind of feature was added? All of these things are optional so if you don't like them, simply end your conference early, or decline the invite to take part in something or whatever, but in my opinion it would add to the experience and would be welcome if it came hand in hand with a media interaction revamp.

You cannot end Press Conferences early without affecting your team as they are part of the game you are playing. Being on Match of the Day isn't and what would it be?  You can already watch any game in highlight mode. You can watch games a transfer target is playing in, you can run through the highlights of the weekend fixtures. There is nothing on real life Match of the Day you cannot do now apart from the talking bit which bore the pants off the viewer and given the limited amount you can say on FM. Features like this will not be worthwhile until you can use a full vocabulary in the game.

31 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

You cannot end Press Conferences early without affecting your team as they are part of the game you are playing. Being on Match of the Day isn't and what would it be?  You can already watch any game in highlight mode. You can watch games a transfer target is playing in, you can run through the highlights of the weekend fixtures. There is nothing on real life Match of the Day you cannot do now apart from the talking bit which bore the pants off the viewer and given the limited amount you can say on FM. Features like this will not be worthwhile until you can use a full vocabulary in the game.

Fair enough you can't end conferences early without affecting your team, but you can at least send your assistant to handle them if you don't want to be totally hands-on.

It's a revamp to the presentation, but it can still bring the game forward. You could group aspects like the monthly awards in there such as goal of the month, player of the month and manager of the month etc. Even have goal of the month displayed as a competition like it is on MOTD with social media being able to give their opinions on which goal should win. As a guest on the show, you could be asked questions by the host and pundits about how your team is currently doing, if you have any transfer targets, and yes, the odd question in regards to rival teams and how they're performing or manager sackings. Additionally, the host and pundits, as well as social media could give their views on your pre/post-match interviews. Like I said it would be an extension but there's still room for it in my opinion rather than have everything separated with limited questions. Laying out the media interaction like that would be much better in my view, instead of being asked one-of questions at random through the week.

It gives the game and presentation more depth. Would you honestly rather things stayed as they were, even though you've shown in your posts that all of the areas discussed lack depth?

Archived