[FM16] The Saints Go Marching In (On Top of Everyone)

Keano16

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/4/2017 at 20:11, Keano16 said:

That sends conflicting messages. :lol:

Hmm.. I've stayed tuned for a long time now it feels. Haven't vomitted yet. It's closing in though!

24 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Hmm.. I've stayed tuned for a long time now it feels. Haven't vomitted yet. It's closing in though!

Keep holding on! I haven't properly gotten back into FM as I thought I would be. Hoping to get a good session in tomorrow however!

4 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Keep holding on! I haven't properly gotten back into FM as I thought I would be. Hoping to get a good session in tomorrow however!

My vomit-o-meter is at 7 already!

f411396cdbaa0e2cf6e882bb883a14f8.png

I couldn't pass this opportunity up. Instantly our best centre back alongside Skriniar. Obviously he might have his injury issues but that's a gamble I'm willing to take on a free.

20e6c1ad04107398931c6ce1f10f3a2c.png

In his prime with excellent all round stats. Just hope he stays fit.

8 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Absolutely incredible deal! Also an absolute tank of a right back.

I couldn't believe it when he popped up. I just pray to God that he stays fit. Scalera has bags of potential, a great personality, is 21 and ready to challenge for a first team spot, what's not to like? Oh and he's also Italian! 

781dc8498f5f2d0df540c5f5b460f7c0.png

Preseason went well aside from the blip against Triglav Kranj, a real unlucky loss with the goal being an own goal. Hoffenheim was an even game that could have gone either way so I'm not too disheartened. Marseille were arguably the better team but I'm delighted to win.

51e63dbbbd0ed0a1ac0c155c5572388b.png

First game of the season was an early cup game against a Serie B side. We dominated but we couldn't get the crucial goal thanks to a combination of woeful finishing and a beast in goal. Youngster Granata however came off the bench for the ineffective Bonazzoli to score tens minutes from the end. What a debut! Main man Soriano finished as Man of the Match, supplying the assist.

I will post my slightly adjusted tactics later on when I have a bit of time.

27 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

To be honest, signing him was a complete no brainer.  Great deal.  :thup:

IIRC he's only played 6 times for United over the last two seasons so that's why he was released. Their loss is certainly our gain.

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

Tremendous signing!  To be honest, I half expected your "his first match" update to include an injury...

Thankfully that did not happen, especially with his lack of match sharpness. He should be great for us as the right sided centre back of a three.

Speaking of the back three, I'm unsure whether to have a BPD in the centre flanked by two CDs or the other way around. 

612b13e25b402c82882f992751da0743.png

Another loan signing. This time Jordan Ayew from Inter. I didn't have enough funds to bring him in permanently so the loan was the next best thing. £25k a week and a £75k monthly fee. I wanted a more experienced forward for depth and another option. He should be great.

1c149897a858a231ae53b5ad5c67395f.jpg

Anymore signings I expect to be players for the future or replacements if a big player is sold.

Just now, trman73 said:

Just spent the last hour or so avoiding work and reading this story. Really enjoying it Keano.

Anything is better than work! Who needs to read a story filled with success anyway, failure is where it's at! Cheers man. :thup:

22 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Ayew looks a handy signing, got a bit of everything about him.

It helps when you score on you're debut too;

3d3ec9be039f09620057b1e8ceaba108.jpg

Solid win in our first game of the season against newly promoted Chievo Verona. Soriano was outstanding, as was Bonazzoli with a goal and an assist. Jones even got involved, finding Bonazzoli with a long ball forward and the striker nodded it down to Soriano on the edge of the area for an emphatic finish. We need to win our home games and this gets us off on the right foot.

6f303106181f5eba2f6583e737ffb36d.gif

I have no idea how this was not a goal. Renan certainly earned himself some grapefruit.

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

That's how you start a season! Ridiculous saves from Renan.

Those death threats words of encouragement really helped. I feared the worst when I saw the ball palmed out into the six yard box, usually they're knocked in.

12 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Those death threats words of encouragement really helped. I feared the worst when I saw the ball palmed out into the six yard box, usually they're knocked in.

Unless it's your team attacking, my strikers never seem to tap in rebounds. Well, not in FM17 anyway.

57 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Unless it's your team attacking, my strikers never seem to tap in rebounds. Well, not in FM17 anyway.

Seems like more target practice is in order. Just stick some Bobby Manc heads in the goal and all your problems will be solved!

32 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Renan just proved his worth! Massive. Ayew is good too

Indeed. And indeed. 

fb2af10d45bbb36249f9ca398e761ccf.jpg

Not the next game I had in mind. We conceded off a corner and then from a 25 yard strike. I switched to Counter which didn't really work so I should have stuck with our game plan. The worst news in that Renan Ribeiro broke his arm and will miss 5-6 weeks.

63326213d12a1ed40f76e9f746164fad.png

And the end of September we sit in 8th position after one win and one loss. Not the worst of starts and it's something to build on. Sassuolo are in fact the early leaders but their other game was against Hellas Verona so we'll see how the do going forward. Lazio is up next for us in two weeks time.

782441e3676df191b3742ae6e63e97d5.jpg

20 hours ago, Keano16 said:

"And if you run out of balls kick the heads."

"And then, when they're lying on the ground covering their head with their hands, that's when you kick them in the...you know what, this conversation never happened."

"Right, boss.  Are you winking at me, or having a seizure?  Boss?"

3 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

"And then, when they're lying on the ground covering their head with their hands, that's when you kick them in the...you know what, this conversation never happened."

"Right, boss.  Are you winking at me, or having a seizure?  Boss?"

"Conversation? What conversation?...."

"Exactly. Now where's that grapefruit?...it's the only thing that controls this twitch..."

4 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Bummer with Renan. How ready is your backup? 

Edit: Just realized he broke his arm due to a shot. That's... brutal lol. 

He's about the same in quality, just a little less so we should be fine as long as he doesn't get injured too as we're bare after that. I'll throw up a screenshot later.

I have no idea what they are feeding those Sassuolo lads.....

3 hours ago, Keano16 said:

He's about the same in quality, just a little less so we should be fine as long as he doesn't get injured too as we're bare after that. I'll throw up a screenshot later.

I have no idea what they are feeding those Sassuolo lads.....

That's at least some relief, hopefully you won't meet that Sassoulo lad anytime soon.

Haha, maybe it's one of @BoxToBox's steroid boys on loan? :lol: 

34a7ef1abcaf1e6db114c5eb18f2ae9a.png

Just the one signing on deadline. Radosevic for cheap as a rotation option with MIkel leaving for Norwich. Erkin also left as I wanted some cash for January and we had enough left wing backs. Sold for under his value but I wanted him gone. Unfortunately I couldn't offload Durmaz, even on a free to other clubs. I've no place for wingers and he's not good enough anywhere else. He complained when he was transfer listed and then again when Mikel was sold. Whinging bastard.

d9872e7a92060b6b009b20342814a03e.jpg

Good for the defensive central midfielder role or as a box to box.

8ab13655624de109b690416205e709a7.png

Overall I'm quite happy with the window. Guys who weren't good enough left on frees while overpaid, overage players went out the door. I feel like we've strengthened everywhere we've had to and now the priority is to find young players for the future to bring in in January.

29b4ed38e09e532eb65fd7991d352c5d.png

535fcb0dd227bb136c6b496d4b693d84.png

Fairly happy with my squad, should be more than enough to finish midtable at least.

f161831ac9c0c2613386274e39a19aca.png

And here are the league's major transfers, Bobby Manc splashing my cash on Suso. Juve spending big to retain the title after not winning it in 2016/17 or 2017/18.

Anything else you guys want to see just ask.

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Fine deal for Radosevic.

Cheap and efficient which is what we need. Made a small net profit in the window which is good for the state of finances when I arrived.

f1be630647a8345b82fbb2593a9ad15d.png

So this is what we've been rolling with. Nothing too complicated, Play out of Defence and Shorter Passing to retain the ball better, Hit Early Crosses to aim for Bonazzoli as an AF. The CWBs give us our width and the B2B gives us legs in midfield. The CM (d) sits and protects while mopping up loose balls. The CF (s) is the one I want to roam around looking to link up. The AM (a) aims to run at the defence from deep and play off the AF. 

The only thing I'm considering changing is having the two CDs possibly as BPDs as well. And having the two outside centre halves on Stopper while the middle one is on Cover. What do you guys think?

I can't remember, do they get that playmaker ball attraction where players look to get them the ball? I don't think they do, but if they did, I'd be concerned that they'd tap the ball back and forth too much.

On the flip side, I adore the idea of any of the defence being willing and able to ping one forward to launch a counter attack.

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

I can't remember, do they get that playmaker ball attraction where players look to get them the ball? I don't think they do, but if they did, I'd be concerned that they'd tap the ball back and forth too much.

On the flip side, I adore the idea of any of the defence being willing and able to ping one forward to launch a counter attack.

I'll do some digging and find out, either way, the best way is to try it. The thought of having three quality passers in the back three is mouth watering. It would add an entire dimension to the attack.

@BoxToBox, @Keano16, when I tried my sweeper 1-2-4-3 formation with Celta I had 2 BPD's in front of my sweeper and didn't experience the forth and back passes that often. We also played quite aggressively to utilize the three strikers, but still. Of course you've added a third which could make it even more distinctive, I'm not sure. However, I feel that maybe you could benefit from having the middle man dropping deeper in a CD(c) role as he in theory wouldn't take the ball forward and leave his spot but rather be ready to cover his teammates when they do exactly that. As there is no midfield type who I'd expect to stay open for passes (I would expect both the cmd and btb to close down and run around chasing which could drag them out of central positions or further up the pitch at times) so my guess would be that your BPD would occasionally take that ball a bit forward or slam a direct ball forward - which could of course also create a counter.

I don't know if what I just spurred out makes sense or if I'm just babbling. Anyways, I like the transfers, could you, however add 'Age' to your squad filter? :D  Also never new, that Angelo Palombo was a 'Model citizen'!

@Benjoe That makes sense and sounds practical. They'll basically be the ones to make the incisive passes forward.

I completely didn't realise the age wasn't on it, that shall be rectified.

It was a nice surprise to find one in the squad when I arrived. He is 38 however.

Archived