I've been using this with Everton (and a few transfers in) with great success.

One thing that has worked for me, since I had Baines (now Galloway retrained as a WBL since Baines retired) and Coleman, who are both very attacking; was to make the WBs Complete Wingbacks with Attack duty. I also experiment some with the middle CD as a BPD. That has made the tactic significantly more attacking.

It is still *very* strong defensively. So (2018-19 season) far in 16 EPL games, using this tactic 60% of the time and the Pep tactic 40%, I've only conceded 7 goals. 2 from corners, 1 from an indirect FK, and 3 penalties. So that's one actual in game goal, and that was on opening day against Chelsea and Lukaku scored it, which was painful as an Everton fan. But I digress.

Anyway, I've found myself drifting more and more towards this tactic and less and less towards the Pep one as the season has progressed. If I'm ahead at all at halftime, I switch to this, if I'm not already in it. If I am playing a team with a 4-2-3-1, I start with this. If I'm on the road against one of the big teams, I start with this. It's worked out very well. Obviously my players are not quite up to the Pep tactic level just yet.

Smaller rated teams have not solved it at all, not a single clear cut chance allowed yet (7 for). With the Pep tactic over the same time against smaller rated teams I have just an 8-4 edge. So it really has made sense to just close up shop with this once I score a goal, definitely once I am up 2.

I have some questions around the Bale variations posted, with him lined up outside on either flank. What types of things make you decide to switch to those? Is it simply targeting the opponents worst defenders? Or is there more to it than that, i.e. certain formations the AI throws at you? Or things you'd notice in the game that make it a mid-game change? I'd love to start incorporating those now that I'm comfortable with it. I typically have Barkley or Klaassen in that role, sometimes Alex Iwobi, Louis Schaub or Christian Pulisic too.

One more question for @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! I have much more technically talented and attacking strikers available than Vokes. Is the Defensive Forward-Support role key in some way? Or was that just the best you could do with an ok player who works hard? If you had some more talent available, would it makes sense to give this player a more positive role? Or would that in some way get in the way of Bale and Ramsey working their magic? If so, what type of role do you see as a good fit for a more talented striker in the same system, while still having outstanding players at AMCL and MCR?

Thanks for any help.

19 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I've been using this with Everton (and a few transfers in) with great success.

One thing that has worked for me, since I had Baines (now Galloway retrained as a WBL since Baines retired) and Coleman, who are both very attacking; was to make the WBs Complete Wingbacks with Attack duty. I also experiment some with the middle CD as a BPD. That has made the tactic significantly more attacking.

It is still *very* strong defensively. So (2018-19 season) far in 16 EPL games, using this tactic 60% of the time and the Pep tactic 40%, I've only conceded 7 goals. 2 from corners, 1 from an indirect FK, and 3 penalties. So that's one actual in game goal, and that was on opening day against Chelsea and Lukaku scored it, which was painful as an Everton fan. But I digress.

Anyway, I've found myself drifting more and more towards this tactic and less and less towards the Pep one as the season has progressed. If I'm ahead at all at halftime, I switch to this, if I'm not already in it. If I am playing a team with a 4-2-3-1, I start with this. If I'm on the road against one of the big teams, I start with this. It's worked out very well. Obviously my players are not quite up to the Pep tactic level just yet.

Smaller rated teams have not solved it at all, not a single clear cut chance allowed yet (7 for). With the Pep tactic over the same time against smaller rated teams I have just an 8-4 edge. So it really has made sense to just close up shop with this once I score a goal, definitely once I am up 2.

I have some questions around the Bale variations posted, with him lined up outside on either flank. What types of things make you decide to switch to those? Is it simply targeting the opponents worst defenders? Or is there more to it than that, i.e. certain formations the AI throws at you? Or things you'd notice in the game that make it a mid-game change? I'd love to start incorporating those now that I'm comfortable with it. I typically have Barkley or Klaassen in that role, sometimes Alex Iwobi, Louis Schaub or Christian Pulisic too.

Hey Joey.

This is very interesting. How do you evaluate your reputation? Do you find hard using this tactic against teams that are confortable to sit back and defend? I've tried to use this with Liverpool (for example) and didn't have much success.

In the Analysis section on the tactics page it will show your chances created against higher, equal and lower reputation teams for each tactic.

I am not sure how many teams just sit back and defend against me, I finished 3rd last season, 6th the season before that. I have won a few 1-0 games with it this year, but I'm fine with that. I have only 3 draws in 17 games this season, 12 wins and 2 losses. So it's not like I've had a lot of 0-0 games where I outshoot everyone 20-3 but with 17 long shots or anything.

But like I said, I've been mixing it with the Pep tactic too. So probably not a perfect test case just yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
22 minutes ago, RMcD said:

I'm using Football Manager 2017, same as what he was.

"Football Manager 2017."

You can see that by the date on my calendar in the top right.

O-Zil didn't play with Wales at the 2016 Euros, he played the World Cup

Funny this popped back up. I went back to the well on this today (independently, I have it bookmarked), as a 'close out the game' and 'play against a weaker team with an AMC and two strikers' tactic today. I've been trying to be really tight in back and this tactic is a great tool to have in the box, even if you don't use it full time.

Archived