Confused about scouting

Hi,

I am in my 2nd season with Tottenham and I have 23 scouts with 63% scouting knowledge. When ever the youth intakes happen, I will send the appropriate scout to that country to scout for young players.

I have all scouts assignements set the same: Unlimited transfer fund, players aged between 15-17 and PA of 3.5+. The english regens have just come in and I have sent my UK scout to scout England, and he has finished his assignement but no regend are showing in the "all known players". This is happening with every country that has just produced the regens.

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to find the regens?

Thanks guys

8 hours ago, newcomers said:

Hi,

I am in my 2nd season with Tottenham and I have 23 scouts with 63% scouting knowledge. When ever the youth intakes happen, I will send the appropriate scout to that country to scout for young players.

I have all scouts assignements set the same: Unlimited transfer fund, players aged between 15-17 and PA of 3.5+. The english regens have just come in and I have sent my UK scout to scout England, and he has finished his assignement but no regend are showing in the "all known players". This is happening with every country that has just produced the regens.

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to find the regens?

Thanks guys

You're sending scouts to an entire country to find 15-17 year olds with no reputation to speak of? That's where you're going wrong. They're nobodies at this point. Scout some youth competitions or something.

But he's selected he wants to find players from 15-17 :/

Why is it unreasonable to suggest your scout should come back with players if you tell him 'go to England and find the best young players you can'? That's how it probably works in real life. As a manager I don't care what competitions my scout uses to do this I just want him to find the players. 

10 hours ago, newcomers said:

I have all scouts assignements set the same: Unlimited transfer fund, players aged between 15-17 and PA of 3.5+.

1 hour ago, DP said:

But he's selected he wants to find players from 15-17 :/

That's the other issue. He hasn't. At that age and with no reputation yet, what scout will already know that they're 3.5+ stars? At that age there are huge unknowns in terms of potential.

If he scouts competitions, at least a scout will watch matches and gain proper knowledge and be able to narrow down PA more. Even so, that setting is restrictive for players that young.

So you're saying the scout will not have an idea of a player aged between 15-17 who has above average potential?

Nonsense. 

There are probably 100's of scouts who can name 100's of players in this country that 'have potential' at the age of 17. Whether that potential is realised is another question but that mechanic is in the game I believe. 

19 minutes ago, DP said:

So you're saying the scout will not have an idea of a player aged between 15-17 who has above average potential?

He's looking for players who just arrived in the game world, has little to no rep yet and no matches played. The settings he's used will cause scouts to look for 15-17 year olds who will definitely be top, top premier league players or even world class. The scouts may find players with 2* "definite" potential but the other 3* are black, which means they may be top players, but the overly restrictive settings have now ruled them out.

How many 17yo Odegaards do you know of right now in the world (nevermind a specific country) who will definitely be a future Real Madrid first team calibre player?

How many 19-21 year olds? Now it's more certain, isn't it?

I think another factor would be the amount of scouting done on the individual players.

Lets assume for a moment that you have the set the best scout (20/20 JCA/JPA) to scout the newgens for a given country.  How much time will that scout actually spend looking at all of these newgens?  Enough to draw a good idea of their potential and so line up who those few gems might be?  Unlikely.  Now lets assume you do actually receive some scout reports for individuals.  How complete are those reports anyway?  10%?  15%?  Still not enough for a firm idea of someone's potential.  And all of that assumes you have sent the perfect scout (who still won't be infallible btw).

So when you say something like 

45 minutes ago, DP said:

Nonsense.

Given enough scouting, yes of course they will.  But based on what the OP is up to, it's not enough scouting to draw such conclusions.

Scout youth leagues and cups (and reserves matches) so that your scout(s) can start to build up a roster of youngsters that might be of high enough potential. When his (their) list of potential targets starts to fill up, scout those that looks the best more thoroughly, individually, untill 100% knowledge. Then decide whether to buy or not to buy. Finding gems isn't and shouldn't be easy.

17 minutes ago, newcomers said:

Ok, so rather than setting the PA to 3.5, am I best off just leaving that as 0.5?

How do you guys go about scouting regens?

You are getting too hung up on scouting newgens tbh.

I scout countries & some competitions randomly looking for players and then add any I find to my shortlist.  I plan in advance with an idea of what positions I need players for and then individually scout the ones on my shortlist that look the part.  Its not strange for my shortlist to contain thousands of players, I think my current one has just over 2000 players on it.  The other night I was looking for a striker, I fully scouted the top 25 prospects and after looking through them I was down to three good options.

In terms of settings I use for scouting assignments it varies.  You have the unlimited cost down but if I'm at a lower league club I'll set a limit depending on what the club can afford.  Min CA I'll set to probably 1.5* with 3* PA.  This generally gives you the sort of player who is a decent target.

The bottom line is you can't scout everyone and you shouldn't expect to.  Do what you can and work from there.

34 minutes ago, newcomers said:

Ok, so rather than setting the PA to 3.5, am I best off just leaving that as 0.5?

How do you guys go about scouting regens?

Lets just go back to your OP for a moment:

14 hours ago, newcomers said:

I have all scouts assignements set the same: Unlimited transfer fund, players aged between 15-17 and PA of 3.5+. The english regens have just come in and I have sent my UK scout to scout England, and he has finished his assignement but no regend are showing in the "all known players"

The "PA" that you are looking for is not an indication of how good each individual player may become.  It's an indication of how good that player may become in relation to other similar players at your club (and division).  So if you already have an excellent fullback (for example), the likelihood of you finding a 4 or 5 star PA newgen fullback in England with only a minimal amount of scouting is very small.  The likelihood will still be quite small if you scout in 23 different countries.  On the other hand, if your fullback is rubbish, the chances of finding a 4 or 5 star PA newgen improves - not because the newgens are better, but because the rubbish player you are comparing the newgens to is worse.

As others have said above, broaden your net a bit - reduce the star criteria and/or look at youth competitions.  Then refine your search further by selecting likely looking individuals, fully scout them to 100% knowledge and read the scout report in full - don't just look at the star ratings.  If the scout report says "potential to be a leading top division player" (or similar) then you might be on to a winner (regardless of what the star rating says).

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

He's looking for players who just arrived in the game world, has little to no rep yet and no matches played. The settings he's used will cause scouts to look for 15-17 year olds who will definitely be top, top premier league players or even world class. The scouts may find players with 2* "definite" potential but the other 3* are black, which means they may be top players, but the overly restrictive settings have now ruled them out.

How many 17yo Odegaards do you know of right now in the world (nevermind a specific country) who will definitely be a future Real Madrid first team calibre player?

How many 19-21 year olds? Now it's more certain, isn't it?

I'm not a scout though. 

I think it's quite obvious there are scouts that know of 16 year old players who look like they have potential. They would possibly have known about these from an even younger age. 

And I'm not sure where 'definitely' fits in as it's possible in the game that a 4star potential youth player won't fulfil it.

Archived