How do I use defensive forwards?

I very rarely use the DF on defend duty but I guess that could be utilised when you're expecting to be dominated. He basically drops into midfield and chases them all. I regularly use the Support duty and get plenty of goals and assists out of him. Shadow Striker works well with a DF. Basically you need midfielders running forward to act as a striker because the DF will chase defenders and end up out of position. Inside forwards on attack duty work well, as does a CM on Attack duty. I would recommend having at least one of those to make up for the DF. That's all for playing one up top.

I tend not to use a DF with another striker but Target Man attack or a Poacher can work. Also Complete Forward on Attack can be effective.

One question for the OP... What sort of system are you looking to use one in?

None really yet. It was more of a generalist question so I could learn some things about roles I rarely use. I like the idea of DF's but I've never been able to make them work

I currently have a good DF(S) and DLF(A) combo.

Don't be misled by thinking the DF(S) is purely a supporting act, they can get goals.

Have played Rooney as DF(S) in a single striker system and scored frequently for me.

In my current LLM save, I'm using the aforementioned DF / DLF combo, my DF has 14 goals in 15 games and is my main threat.

Generally re. DF(D), very useful if you're playing a side where they are using a DLP that you need to shut down - though to gain a goalscoring threat you will need other players running ahead of them - there are lots of ways you can do that though.

I have been tinkering with a 4-4-2 (two DM's which seems popular) and a 4-2-2-2-1 (two DMs, two WMs with PIs that turn them into IFs and two narrow AMs) with a defensive forward support. It's surprisingly effective, he drops deep, creates good movement and gets goals as well.

I have been tinkering with a 4-4-2 (two DM's which seems popular) and a 4-2-2-2-1 (two DMs, two WMs with PIs that turn them into IFs and two narrow AMs) with a defensive forward support. It's surprisingly effective, he drops deep, creates good movement and gets goals as well.

???? Is this supposed to mean 3-2-2-2-1?

Archived