MacBook Air Quick Enough?

Thanks for the replies Gents

The big problem you'll have is that the cooling on them is pretty awful. Whenever they are running anything intensive they'll heat up very quickly and throttle their own performance very heavily in order to avoid overheating.

So if you keep the number of leagues very low, and the player count right down, then you should be fine. But if you even attempt to push the laptop hard you'll see your performance drop off a cliff after a short while as the laptop desperately attempts to prevent itself overheating.

Looking at buying a new laptop this week,Will the MacBook Air 11" screen be quick enough to run FM2016? Will only want to watch games in 2D and run 3-4 leagues?Any help will be great Many Thanks

If you're buying a laptop primarily to play FM, then I wouldn't bother with a Mac. I've got a Macbook Pro, thinking it would (and should) easily run FM, but as soon as it loads up, it gradually gets hotter and hotter before eventually the fans kick in.

I have a late 2015 MacBook Pro and it runs FM16 like butter! Very pleased with it.

My previous MBP was a 2007 model, I ran every edition of FM on it including FM16. My wife has a MacBook Air, but..... I'm not allowed to go anywhere near it with Football Manager!

I have the latest 11inch MacBook Air, top spec processor with 8gb ram. It runs the game comfortably, even 3D match engine on one of the higher graphics settings, not the top one though. The fans can kick in during a match but nothing too loud and my current game is only running the full English leagues but that was by choice rather than limitation.

Just edited to say it will run the 3D engine on the high setting but it gets much hotter and noisier, there is a noticeable jump between that setting and the medium in terms of heat and noise.

The game runs and looks great on medium settings so have no worries about that.

If you're buying a laptop primarily to play FM, then I wouldn't bother with a Mac. I've got a Macbook Pro, thinking it would (and should) easily run FM, but as soon as it loads up, it gradually gets hotter and hotter before eventually the fans kick in.

A Mac is not specialized for gaming... No, you read that right, I don't agree with the statement of some people here and across the World Wide Web, that macs are not for gaming. Well that depends interelly what kind of games that each person play. There is plenty of games (not the lastest and most demanding games, but those indie games run quite well) that play well in macs.

I think the latest macbook air would run the game, but don't take my word for it, check the minimal requirements and see if Macbook Air, you want to buy meets those specs.

A Mac is not specialized for gaming... No, you read that right, I don't agree with the statement of some people here and across the World Wide Web, that macs are not for gaming. Well that depends interelly what kind of games that each person play. There is plenty of games (not the lastest and most demanding games, but those indie games run quite well) that play well in macs.

I think the latest macbook air would run the game, but don't take my word for it, check the minimal requirements and see if Macbook Air, you want to buy meets those specs.

I'm sure it would run the game, but you might have to scale down the settings.

I play on a Macbook Pro from 2011, and I run the ME in 2D classic, playing with about 12 active leagues. It runs really hot even with the fans at full. I have however played probably 2000 hours of FM since 2011 so it's fair to say it's had a lot of FM related abuse which has likely caused a fair bit of wear and tear.

Lots of differing opinions here.

I have a 2012 MBP (2.6 GHZ, 16GB, Nvidia GT650M 1024) and I run 5 leagues and on highest graphics settings.

Runs fine. Fan comes on and definitely gets hotter but sits on my lap no problem.

I am sure the MBA will not be able to run the highest graphics settings with a built in graphics chip but can probably run on a lower setting.

I have a base 2014 13" Macbook pro played fm14,15 and now 16 on it. My wife also plays the Sims and we have never had a problem with overheating/slow processing. And its not like I was trying to keep it quicker seeing as I am running with all the European leagues and South American leagues and even some I've added through Editor in South/Central America and I'm also playing with the highest 3d match engine and large database. Ran smoothly for 3 years now only problem I have found is the screen is a bit small but I knew that might be a problem when I got it.

Archived