[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys,

The save isn't going anywhere, but I need to do something about the season reviews. They're taking me nearly an hour to do, and I just don't have the time for that, so I need to cut that down considerably. My question to you is what are the things that you want to stay, and what kind of things would you not mind being cut out? I think I might cut out the player section, and only post our key players rather than every single youth player we have at the club, but let me know your thoughts.

Yeah, you probably don't need to upload screenshots of every single player. Maybe you could cut down on that by just putting up one screenshot of your whole squad which shows all their appearances, goals and assists for that season. Then maybe just post a top three key players as you say, instead of everyone.

I finished my season a few days ago, but I just haven't had the motivation to post a review. I want to move on, so I'll just quickly do a roundup rather than a proper season review. For the future seasons, I'll do season reviews like you guys suggested, cutting out most of the player section.

Cup: Wow. I'm not really sure what to say here. We didn't even make it out of our group. Worse, our group was three teams, so we actually came bottom. We picked up seven points from our six games and were knocked out on head to head with Virtus, who also had 7 points. We just collapsed, basically.

League: Somehow this was even worse. We dominated the entire season, winning 15 of our 20 games and drawing 2, comfortably coming top of our group. We won the fourth round 1-0 against Folgore and the Semi Final 3-0 against Cailungo. The final would also be against Cailungo. Easy, right? Well, we missed a boatload of sitters, suddenly forgot how to defend, and lost 4-2. I'm so, so frustrated with this save right now, because we're by far the dominant team in San Marino and began to make progress in the Champions League, but we just keep choking in the League final for seemingly no reason. Onto next season, I suppose...

1d94e632185efe0c4e628a84677beac1.png

One of our club legends is gone. 297 games played for the club over 16 seasons, he was a real stalwart for us, but I'm honestly glad he retired. He wasn't playing much anymore, and he'd strained his ankle ligaments roughly 10 times near the end of his career, so it probably makes sense for his long term health.

aaca2e0467020fa95d3e824642e636f0.png

One of the best players to ever come through the club's youth academy is gone at just 19 years old. He refused to sign a new contract two years ago, saying that he was too good to play for us, and he followed through with it. His contract expired with him still unwilling to enter talks, and he's become a free agent. It's so frustrating to lose someone of his ability, especially because we can't get a single decent player through the youth intakes at the moment. With him leaving and a lot of key players ageing, we're taking a lot of steps in the wrong direction.

Not sure how I've missed this thread, but it's absolutely amazing. Just read it all at once. :thup:

Praying you get a good intake sooner or later, seems like you're treading water at the moment.

Thanks for the kind words!

We really need to start getting in players who can at least be serviceable first teamers, because we're in sort of a transition stage, where a lot of our team are declining due to age. I'm hoping for an intake with three or four solid players rather than one really good one, because our depth is looking nefariously thin and there's a few positions that we don't have much talent at.

Not a good start in the season without applying the away goals rule. So, how's the away goals rule says?

Unfortunately, the away goals rule still counts after extra time. We were level after 90 minutes and then went 2-0 up, which had us going through 2-1 on aggregate. They scored, however, making it 2-2 on aggregate - but they now had an away goal, meaning that we had to score again. We couldn't, and we were knocked out on away goals after extra time :(

Youth Intake Day!

ce84522000f519c0347ae4ac358ab2ec.png

Holy...

bedadce72f3ac352e7b6d6bad48e4456.png

Meet our new RB. With Pier Marino Valentini (YP19) starting to age it was a position that we were going to need, and boy did we hit the jackpot. His mentals are off the charts! His technicals aren't terrible for a 16 year old, and he's got a decent amount of pace on him, so I'm really happy with this one. He's the only player worth tagging, but it's the best intake we've had in years, so I'm not going to complain.

Forza San Giovanni!

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Another year where we f***ed it up, and we'll be in the Europa League again. Sigh.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

At least we won this back.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Battistini (YP34) - 8.11

Eight years in a row. What a player.

Top Goalscorer:

Mattia Bacciocchi (YP43) - 34

You know you're in San Marino when your top scorer doesn't have a single technical attribute in the double figures...

Manager's Player of the Year:

Filippo Ugolini

This is a new award, and I'll be giving it to a player of my choosing who didn't win either of the other two awards. Filippo Ugolini wins it this year for exploding out of nowhere at a position we desperately needed. The decline of Nicola Rattini meant we needed a new winger badly, and Ugolini massively stepped up to the mark.

San Marino NT players:

Marco Podeschi - He looks great for someone from San Marino, but I'd have hoped he'd be developing better.

Pietro Bonfiglio - Likewise. He's fantastic, but he's not really growing as a player.

Aims for next season:

This save is turning into a real grind, constantly dominating domestically only to throw it away when it matters. We had set ourselves up in a position to be a shoe-in for the Third Qualifying round of the CL every year, but we've screwed up so much I'm not even sure we'll be seeded for the First Round of Europa qualifying. If we don't win the league next season, my laptop is probably getting smashed to pieces.

Other teams:

League Winners: Juvenes Dogana won the final 3-2 against Tre Penne.

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: Cailungo lost 5-1 to Linfield in the First Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We lost to Banants in the First Round, while Cosmos lost 4-1 to Anorthosi of Cyprus and Folgore lost 6-0 to Vaduz.

San Marino National team:

2039 Results --- 2040 Results

We did well against Asian sides, but really poorly in European Qualifying.

f7ec0e254a53b0613a5efc25f7c5e013.png

This is a sad day. A club legend, and my favourite ever player to come through the youth academy, Nicola Rattini has decided to hang up his boots after 356 club appearances. He had 125 goals and 250 assists in those games, meaning he featured in more than a goal per game on average. A speed demon and the first player we ever had who looked capable of playing outside of San Marino, Rattini stuck with us throughout his entire career spanning 18 seasons. With an average rating of 7.71, he truly was a legend.

01fe22d53615420e80afedd178bcde5c.png

We were so, so close to getting a result against a Spanish powerhouse. We hit them on the counter attack perfectly, going 2-0 up and stunning Spain. Their quality shone through, however, and they were ultimately able to claw their way back for the win.

Still, to nearly beat one of the better Spanish teams...

Fantastic read so far, shame about the intakes but with these games, it's usually the years of rough that makes the years of success all the more sweeter.

Thank you! I agree with you, but I do wish we'd start to move out of the rough a little bit faster :D

I expected Celta Vigo to be worse.

I was surprised that they'd made the Europa League over some of the other Spanish powerhouses, but at the end of the day them managing to come in the Top 7 in one of the best leagues in the world makes them a formidable force, especially for little San Giovanni :D

Just a side note here, I'm currently snowed under with coursework, meaning that updates will be pretty slow for a couple of weeks while I rush to try and get it finished. Sorry :(

A bit of a spoiler, but our Cup Final was pretty interesting...

16951293ec1119333003021961f69eaa.png

We were 5-0 up after 21 minutes, and each goal was exactly the same - Filippo Ugolini picked the ball up on the left, beat his marker for pace and whipped in a ball low for Mattia Bacciocchi (YP43) to tap home. Bacciocchi was on a 10.0 rating after 21 minutes, something that I've never seen done before. Things kept going from there, although I was a bit annoyed to concede one.

e36ae393550ecae0fc05082f631f45bb.png

A job well done.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We were so, so close to f***ing this up, but we just about managed to win it this time.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

A great campaign, capped off with the biggest win in San Marinese history in the final.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Battistini (YP34) - 8.12

An astonishing NINTH time running.

Top Goalscorer:

Mattia Bacciocchi (YP43) - 39

39 goals in 37 games is superb.

Paolo Tessarin (YP31)

I could have given this to Filippo Ugolini again, but Tessarin wins it this year with an average rating of 7.77 for making a great comeback after scoring just one goal in the past two years.

San Marino NT players:

Marco Podeschi - I think he's reached his potential.

Pietro Bonfiglio - He moved to Roma and played regularly, which should tell you everything you need to know about how good he is.

Aims for next season:

We finally won the league, but we still nearly choked away the final. I want a dominant win next year, but more than that we need to get some better intakes.

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: Cailungo lost 5-1 to Linfield in the First Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We gave Celta Vigo a real go in the Second Round, while Libertas lost 7-0 to Lechia of Poland in the First Round and Tre Penne lost 9-1 to AaB from Denmark.

2040 Results --- 2041 Results

We actually did really well this season.

1fc02db570138eabcd8d8f5937d0a7ea.png

This is so frustrating. Possibly the best player technically to ever come through our Youth Academy, he left because he wanted bigger and better things. Those things didn't happen for him, and he retires at 21, having never kicked a ball since leaving us. What a waste.

abaa7c75cb9d05238319f7f77d102517.png

Another legend is gone. He might not have played much for us near the end of his career but he was absolutely instrumental in our rise to the top of San Marino, bagging 97 goals in 166 appearances to finish with an average rating of 7.53 for his career.

Bad ending form saving the Cup and losing a youngster before the cup! I have two hints:

-Denis Bacciocchi became a politician after retirement.

-San Marino would need more help from winning the European competitions.

I hope the next season would more better.

Bad ending form saving the Cup and losing a youngster before the cup! I have two hints:

-Denis Bacciocchi became a politician after retirement.

-San Marino would need more help from winning the European competitions.

I hope the next season would more better.

There's probably less corruption in politics these days, so who knows :D

Youth Intake Day!

d660b65cf2e01992e3bdbac2235ad01f.png

1f0cf475d63b5aa786a25b1863587f5e.png

He doesn't look anything special, but it's good to get a depth RB.

89682a5b2d88c9c135866411bd601163.png

His technicals aren't fantastic, but he's got great size, great mentals, and he's extremely versatile, so I'm very happy to have him on board.

92dd072544a4f979d96db43e78b87389.png

He's only a backup for now, but our wingers are getting old, so we'll see how he develops.

This is our best intake in many, many years, which is absolutely fantastic. None of the three are superb, but we badly needed some fresh talent in. Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We started slowly but exploded in February, going on a great run to get our first back to back title win for a stupid ELEVEN years.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

No 11-1's this year, but it was a comfortable cup victory.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Battistini (YP34) - 7.91

He's been our best player for ten years in a row, from 18 years old all the way till 28 years old now. Far and away the best player to ever play for the club, at least in terms of rating.

Top Goalscorer:

Mattia Bacciocchi (YP43) - 26

Not as prolific as last year, but still a good season for him.

Simone Lazzari

Manuel Gentile (YP16) aged badly, meaning we needed a new winger. His stats aren't the greatest, but Lazzari stepped up big time.

San Marino NT players:

Marco Podeschi - Currently a free agent after being released by Genoa, I really hope someone picks him up.

Pietro Bonfiglio - Didn't really see any gametime this season.

Aims for next season:

We had a good intake this time around, so the aim next year is to repeat that. I'd also think that we might be good enough to sneak into the Third Round of the CL qualifiers, but that depends largely on the draw.

Other teams:

How the team in CL qualifying did: We should have done better against Trencin in the second leg.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Cailungo lost 6-0 to Staebek from Norway, Tre Fiori lost 4-0 to Valerenga also of Norway, and Faetano lost 5-1 to Omonia from Cyprus.

2041 Results --- 2042 Results

Not a great year.

53feb9435f5918d7f635ffd34c56ca8d.png

I'm pretty sure Israeli teams usually don't enter in the Second Round, but this is really bad for us. They've made the Group Stages twice recently, and usually make the playoffs. One thing does give us hope, though - they lost to Aktobe in the Second Qualifying Round in 2034/2035. It might have been eight years ago, but I don't have much else to hold on to.

4a28962e964ea95985384c0ade1d30c4.png

This one really hurts. We played really well, and probably outplayed them in truth. We couldn't take our chances and we defended poorly, and what could have been a win by a couple of goals turns into almost certain elimination.

Youth Intake Day!

a1ce966193e4fd30c046ef7881c532b4.png

2f8e0fa37783b0f70d91b7ae4e355054.png

I don't see how he's been given 3* CA by my assistant. I've only tagged him because my LBs are both old and useless, and so I'll be retraining him to play there where he'll hopefully be slightly less useless.

ccc7141051d438e4087f80f0de54bc51.png

You're probably wondering why on earth I've decided to tag him, so I'll explain. No Sanmarinese player coming through here is going to have good technical stats, and it's either about finding the ones with bearable stats, or ones with talent elsewhere. He's a striker who's 6'6 and he's only 16, so he may even grow another couple of inches. He's also got very good Jumping Reach and Strength for his age. His mentals aren't the best, and his potential is pretty low, but if he can develop even just a little bit, he could be the best striker we've ever had, and could turn into a real force for us both domestically and continentally.

Or he could be terrible. Who knows. I can't really make my mind up about this intake - it's definitely not the best, but at the same time I'm really excited to see what Michele Battistini (YP53) can do.

In the European Champions League, there is only one spot, right? Then, it would possibly lose spots in the Europa League.

That's right, we have one Champions League spot, which currently starts in the Second Round. We then have three Europa League spots, although so far not one Sanmarinese team except from us has ever made it past the First Round.

Sensational read, I feel very inspired to have a go at it at a slightly easier nation. I'll definitely be keeping up with your thread! :D

Thank you for your kind words :)

It's definitely a really interesting save to do, it's definitely the save that I've had the most fun with over the years. If you are going to do it, I'd suggest maybe not doing a youth only policy, because it can become a real drain to be dominant nationally, but so, so weak continentally.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

The playoffs were nervy, but it looks like we're finally fully back on top.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

We weren't great here, and Tre Fiori took full advantage of that.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Battistini (YP34) - 7.74

Even torn knee ligaments couldn't stop him making this eleven years running.

Top Goalscorer:

Mattia Bacciocchi (YP43) - 27

The best striker to ever play for the club.

Matteo Ugolini (YP42)

We needed someone to step up when Marco Battistini (YP34) got hurt, and he delivered.

San Marino NT players:

Marco Podeschi - I didn't expect him to move to England, but it'll be interesting to see how he does next year at Middlesbrough after a fairly poor start this year.

Pietro Bonfiglio - Moved to Udinese, but still not playing much.

Aims for next season:

We're in a bit of a tough situation here, as now the best youth players that the club are producing are adamant that they're too good for us, and are going to leave on frees when their contracts expire. Marco Stolfi (YP49) and Marco Gatti (YP47) are on their way out in summer, which leaves a big hole in our defense.

Other teams:

Cup Winners: Tre Fiori beat us 3-1 in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: We did fairly well against Maccabi Haifa, but were still on the end of an expected battering.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Murata lost 7-1 to Belarussian side Dinamo Minsk, Domagnano lost 4-2 to Irish Cork City, and Faetano lost 3-1 to Flora from Estonia. The losses are getting smaller, although they were easy ties, and they're still losses.

2042 Results --- 2043 Results

This was a pretty good year, although we should be beating Luxembourg twice.

cb8424b87fbfd4f560981100e89a9445.png

I almost prefer playing in the First Round (at least I get to see the draw for the Second Round that way) but it's concerning that we're dropping down so often - our league has been on a steady decline in the rankings for the past few years, massively reducing the amount of TV money I get from it. In honesty, it's probably because I keep failing to make the CL - as the other teams are almost guaranteed to lose straight away, that really hurts our coefficient.

Archived