These Weans Get Right on my Wick

Wavelberry

April 2019 Update

So this topsy-turvy season draws to a close. We couldn't do the unthinkable and make up five points to clinch the title could we?

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-16_zps0hcjp2tz.png

We certainly gave it a damn good go. A nice solid win against Inverurie with Big Gaz getting both goals was first up. That broke his records for goals in season from last year and were his first goals since the end of January. It was a good time to get into form.

Next up were our arch-rivals Brora and what a game it was. They went 1-0 up early on but a stunning free-kick from Sam Finnis right before half-time got us back in. Macadie scored a screamer at the start of the second-half and then it got cagey. I was literally on the brink of bringing on Ciaran Begg for Big Gaz to shore it up at the back in the 78th minute when Brora equalised. Deciding that we had nothing to lose I took of a defender and shoved Robbia Armstrong on and blow me if he didn't score the winning goal. A very sweet victory and another goal for Robbie who may just be rescuing his Wick career.

The champions came to Harmsworth for the last game of the season and we played out a 0-0. They went 1-0 up in the first half and we looked pretty rubbish actually. I rang the changes and Craig Charlesworth got the equaliser but we couldn't push for a win. But was seven points enough?

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-11_zpszewq7ai2.png

No. No it wasn't. I'm comforted by the fact that our goal difference meant that we wouldn't have won the league anyway and to be honest given the topsy-turvy nature of the season 3rd is pretty creditable. Annoying Brora won it though. Hopefully they'll get twated in the play-offs.

Home_%20My%20History%20Press%20Conferences_zpshmvv5hhs.png

Of course despite our goal difference this was a question I was asked in the press-conference. He's lucky I didn't set Kieran on him...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wick Academy 2018/2019 Season Review

Wick_zpsuxzkvy9g.png

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-31_zpsdvkaojss.png

Another season draws to an end and this was a really strange one. Sometimes it's hard to see the big picture when you're in the middle of a campaign and stupid defeats occur especially when they didn't happen in the years before. Sometimes though you have to accept that your team is evolving and when all is said and done we had a pretty decent end to the season. I'd agree with all the games mentioned I think although the 3-2 win against Brora in the penultimate game of the season was probably my personal favourite.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-11_zpszewq7ai2.png

Third place then and we finished with a point more than last year. Given the evolution of the side this season and the fact that the team was in transition I'll take a third place finish and a two point improvement on last year when we had a more settled side. I think we were only in the hunt this year due to how close the league was and I suspect we've had our opportunity now for a few years as the team moves on to the next generation. Still, this was a pretty decent season and something to build on.

Squad_%20Players%20Players_zpsinaxafm4.png

As you can see this season was a bit different from last season as there was a lot more changing. Some of last season's performers did not turn up this year and in the end most of the class of 2018 ended up in and around the first team squad. There was a big change this season as far as the make up of the first team is concerned and despite the fact that old stagers such as Big Gaz, Macadie and Sam Mackay are integral parts of the team we're certainly moving towards a youth oriented future as Michael Steven, Darren Mackay and Ross Allan all found themselves being pushed to the periphery this year.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-30_zpsqe4npfu0.png

The team award went to Sam who had a stormer again (although was a bit rubbish towards the end, I'm hoping that's a end-of-season check-out thing rather than a terminal decline) and claims it for the fourth year in a row. This year's youth award went to Declan Campbell which seems fair but what is not is the fact that Kieran is overlooked for the best XI again despite averaging over 7 for the fourth year on the bounce and kicking everyone in the North of Scotland. I'm beginning to wonder what it will take for the footballing connoisseurs of Wick to appreciate possibly our greatest ever watercarrier. Probably him booting them all. Other than that I think you could give the wings to those players selected just but I think both Finnis and Stephen will be there next year.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-32_zpsymsecrhz.png

Sam Mackay was selected for the team of the year. Obvs. Our worst showing since I've been here. I think this is due to the rotation rather than the rubbish.

As for the stats awards I thought I'd screenshoted them but it turns out I haven't. It won't be a surprise to know that we claimed the fouls and possession stats along with Macadie claiming the key passes one. No clean sheet stat this year but that's due to the very changeable nature of our defence. We also won this.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-28_zpsz3jtyfhf.png

Yeah. Take that us!

A decent season then for one that turned out to be transitional with us getting more points than last year and being only two points away from the title. Next year I expect us to get around the same points tally again and I also expect to see the end of Macadie. Whether that happens or not we shall see.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-34_zpsrkmh1wmx.png

FOUR IN A ROW!

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-35_zpsczzt3ntm.png

And credit our chairman who is clearly a man who knows how to bargain...

Around Scotland 2018/19

Another season draws to a close and not just in the Highlands but all around this fair country of Scotland. Like the Tunnocks' Lion we will now sit solemnly in remembrance of it...

Scottish%20Lowland%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zpstz2tdwc5.png

First off the Lowland league and it was Selkirk who came from nowhere to claim the title. Well I say nowhere, but last year they finished on 59 points to come second. This year with 58 points they won the title as there was no stand-out side condemning Stirling to another season trawling the Lowlands. East Kilbride finished fourth in their first season back amongst the small fry while Whitehill Welfare got dropped into the extremities of non-league. This of course set up the Higland-Lowland League play-off between Selkirk and Brora.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-12_zpskprhmq1b.png

Which of course the Lowland League side won although it took a pelanty shoot-out to do it. I would love to have seen the faces on the Brora supporters after the loss as they cried themselves to sleep with their league trophy and Highland cu... Never mind. Lowland league sides are now 4/4 in these showdowns which is bringing much shame to the north of the country. Mutterings of a revolution are afoot.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-13_zpsvqsghtug.png

Didn't matter ultimately though as East Stirlingshire survived their second play-off in four years by bitch-slapping Selkirk back from whence they came. Would it have been funnier if this had happened to Brora? I'm not sure...

Ladbrokes%20League%202_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zps2j5qvvir.png

What did that mean happened in League Two this year then? Well the first major surprise was that newly promoted Stirling Uni shot through the league like some kind of slippery and shooty simile I can't even think of yet. They lost two games all season and left all the established teams in their wake. The students of Stirling will be matriculating in a higher league next year. They will be joined by Stenhousemuir who sealed play-off victory. Brechin and Clyde finished top half in their first season down but will need an improvement if they are to mount a challenge next year. East Stirlingshire finished bottom but live to suck another day.

Ladbrokes%20League%201_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zpsw8rhibc9.png

Elgin returned to League Two as their first campaign in League One ended in ignominy. East Fife joined them finishing just a point ahead of them and losing to Stenhousemuir in the play-offs while Berwick survived comfortably in mid-table. Dumbarton and Ayr finished in the top four but alas it was not enough to return them to the Championship and instead Forfar took their place in next season's second division by claiming the title; Stranraer won the play-off to join them.

Ladbrokes%20Championship_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zpsfbkzkddf.png

Last season's promotees both did well. Queens Park survived which is all you can ask of an amatuer club in the second biggest division in Scotland while Raith finished second and nearly did the unthinkable. This meant that the two relegation spots were handed over to Morton (who clearly never recovered from me terminating the link we had with them in pre-season) and Dunfermline who drop down after two seasons in the division. They hammered League One when they were last there though so will be hoping for a repeat. At the top end of the table Kilmarnock returned to the Premiership at the first attempt by claiming the title while fellow relegation partners Motherwell could only finish third. They lost in the play-offs to St Mirren but it mattered not as they lost the promotion play-off to stay in the Championship for another season.

Ladbrokes%20Premiership_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zpsbkwlmguo.png

In the Premiership on the bottom side of the split Hamilton survived just the traditional three seasons of Autumn, Winter and Spring (or actually the one rainy season there actually is up here) while Super Cally survived to fight another day. St Johnstone won the battle of the Saints to stay in the division. Meanwhile on the upside of the split Aberdeen finished sixth behind Brendan's outstanding group (who finished second last year FYI Brendan). Rangers finished fourth but got no European football through the league (although they did win the Scottish Cup) while Dundee and Hearts finished ahead of them. Hearts actually were in a title race but no-one can stop the incessant march of the Green Machine as Ronnie's boys claim another title. Must be a shoo-in for Manager of the Year then...

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-33_zpswwqh9k76.png

Ha ha ha. The relentless trollery continues or Micky Mellon has paid off several players. Incandescent East-enders are working round the clock to bring Rangers to justice. Again.

Summer 2019 Youth Update

Another season down and a big one for the younglings of Wick as they began so surpass their old masters and claim first team places. An evolution of the squad is happening and some are beginning to show whether they are going to make it or not...

2015 Intake

Brian Petrie (YP 0.1): A quiet wee season for Brian who continues to be the go-to player off the bench despite the high turnover in the centre of defence this season. He looks like he is headed for the life of the eternal back-up but that ain't so bad. If the problems continue next year he could get a chance to establish himself but at the moment he's my bench man for a crisis and that's how it's gonna stay outside of the cups.

Jordan Evans (YP 0.2): A bit of a breakthrough season for young Jordan in the end as he usurped Danny Mackay to take the LB spot for the last ten or so games and he made it his own. With the emergence of Cammy Mackay (YP 4.1) as a potential RB of quality it will be at LB where Jordan will make his mark on the team. He has signed a part-time contract. He's in.

Keiran Forbes (YP 0.3): Another decent season for Kieran. He fouled less than last year and accumulated four less yellow cards than last year but still averaged over 7 and is as dependable and as brilliant as ever. The Wick fans or the game engine don't seem to appreciate the general brilliance of an all-fouling, all-tackling pure defensive midfielder but I do. He is a legend.

Kevin Shearer (YP 0.4): Doesn't look like he's gonna make it. One sub appearance in the cup was all he had this year. There are just simply better options in the squad. May get a loan to see if he can develop. If not he won't be around much longer.

Craig Charlesworth (YP 0.5): Started to get the feeling he was on his way out as he dropped down to fourth in the RM pecking order at one stage but due to injuries in the run-in he got some game time and he scored a couple of crucial goals. Could still have a future at the club but a lot depends on his performance next season.

Darren Hendry (YP 0.6): Some early decent performances in the cups but that was as far as it went as he dropped down to third in the LW pecking order as the season progressed. Not sure he has what it takes to make it at the club now. Next season could be his last.

Ross Nairn (YP 0.7): Spent all season in the U20s (where he mostly played DM). Has gone on loan to St Cuthberts for the upcoming season where we will either show he's got some talent or disappear into nothingness.

Jamie Hendry (YP 0.8): Less of a chance this season but never let anybody down. He's first choice back-up for the LB spot and that's how it will stay but if Jordan Evans doesn't perform he will get an opportunity.

Eric Campbell (YP 0.9): Played one game and kept a clean sheet. He's still third choice and I don't really like the cut of his jib. Think he'll be off before too long.

Ross Little (YP Weirdo): Terminated in June 2018.

2016 Intake

Chris Morrison (YP 1.1): A topsy-turvy season for Chris who started as first choice CB but ended up at fourth choice. Too many mistakes and a low average rating saw him dropped from the first team and he isn't an automatic choice for the first team now. Will have to earn his chance and work his way back-up but he still has potential to be as good as the rest.

Robbie Armstrong (YP 1.2): It looked all over for poor old Robbie. He scored no goals last year and was well on his way to matching that tally but in February he netted the first goal in our game against Buckie Thistle in the Highland Cup and scored twice more in the run in (including the winner against Brora) to suggest that he might have something to offer after all. I'll be well chuffed if he makes it but he has to kick on this season.

Lewis Cowie (YP 1.3): Terminated July 2019

Jordan Campbell (YP 1.4): Terminated July 2019

David Jackson (YP 1.5): One Scottish Cup sub appearance. A back-ups back-up. May look to loan him out but with Mackay and Macadie entering their 30s he may get more game time if they ease off their form.

2017 Intake

Ciaran Begg (YP 2.1): A decent season for Ciaran the Younger who filled in well when Kieran wasn't available through injury, tiredness or suspension. Scored his first ever goal, averaged over 7 and picked up five yellow cards. Tidy work.

Eric McCafferty (YP 2.2): So much early promise from Eric who played well in the cups and a league game but then got a season-ending injury. He's back next year and is still first choice back-up. Hopefully his injury won't hold back his development too much.

Jamie Vance (YP 2.3): One start and three sub appearances as the early season quest for a RM happened. Didn't really take his opportunity though and is well down the pecking order now. Suspect he won't have long left at the club unless something miraculous happens.

Kenny Charlesworth (YP 2.4): Only played U20s games and didn't score. Think I've sent him to St Cuthberts and he is in the last chance saloon next season.

David Allan (YP 2.5): Looks decent potential wise but is not going to get any game time at the moment. Has gone to St Cuthberts to continue his development. I still have hopes he will make the first team.

Billy Carroll (YP 2.6): Started the season at LM/LW and did averagely. Eventually lost his place due to inconsistent performances but he looks like he could still do a job for us. Will be first choice back-up for that position this year.

2018 Intake

Greig Stewart (YP 3.1): Started as a back-up but nailed a first team place at the end of the season. The best of our CBs and the best rated now too. He will start as first choice this season and hopefully he will continue to improve and won't regress like Chris Morrison.

Declan Campbell (YP 3.2): Announced himself with a bang scoring seven goals in twenty-nine appearances. Filled in for Macadie well when he was injured and is waiting for any decline in the veteran AM's form. Could well be a first team player by the end of the season and is already rated better than Macadie. Was our Young Player of the Year.

Sam Finnis (YP 3.3): Part of the mid-season revolution. Took his chance as IF on the left and didn't look back. Turned in some important performances for us and will be first choice on the left for the upcoming season.

Stephen Martin (YP 3.4): Another member of the mid-season revolution and was very good indeed. Goals and assists and an average over seven catches my eye. I'm giving Ross Allan one more chance at RM this season but if he starts poorly Martin will be in and able to make that position his own.

Sean Tobin (YP 3.5): Sam Mackay's earmarked successor. Five starts and seven sub appearances and he looks like he can play the role as well as Sam can. Scored a really good free-kick as well to get his first goal for the club.

2019 Intake

Cammy Mackay (YP 4.1): A very tasty looking RB and will be first choice back-up. Got some games in our run in and performed very well in two difficult games. could have a very big future at the club.

Youth Analysis

Could the class of 2018 be spoken in the same tones as the Class of '92 soon? It's a possibility. Each of those players improve the team and look very exciting. Quite a few players are in their last chance saloon but there was time last season where my entire backline was youth prospects in first team games. I think we're probably two or three seasons away from an all youth first XI. A lot will depend on how long Big Gaz keeps going as there is really no-one who can replace him yet. There are a few more defenders earmarked from the 2019 intake but they are yet to be tagged.

A little more consistency and you'd have done it.

Nature of the beast I think in a youth career. That elusive consistency. Saying that it was the senior players who were the less consistent ones. Maybe I give them too much trust.

Pre-Season 2019 Update

So I enter the 5th pre-season of my Wick career and I see no reason to change my pre-season routine of friendlies against teams several divisions above us mixed with friendlies against teams several divisions below us because if it ain't broke right?

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-171_zpsakkkbils.png

Not much to say about pre-season really. It went pretty much as I expected it would. I was fairly pleased with the Ayr and Falkirk results and we were good value for our draw against Elgin but we lost the games we were expected to and we won the games we were expected to. We gave Macadie a testimonial as he could have one and I'm fairly certain this may be his last season as a Wick player but we'll see. Happy with Declan Campbell and Big Gaz's pre-season form though. Steady away.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-36_zpsh9mhoful.png

You may have noticed one friendly result well out of sync with the others and this is why. For some stupid reason our chairman decided to give us another feeder club even though I got rid of Morton ASAP. Unfortuntately we couldn't turn down the friendly so I let Gary Manson take the U20s for the game. I don't think my job is in danger from within any time soon. I'll be getting rid of this link as soon as I can which means that if I were an Alloa fan I'd be worried about relegation next season.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Season%20Preview-2_zps8dnpbl0z.png

We're predicted mid-table again despite not finishing outside the top 4 yadda yadda. Nairn, Brora and Formartine are the favourites which is no surprise given that they are the last three teams to win the title but again Turriff United are inexplicably rated ahead of former champions and other teams who have finished above them. Not sure why Strathspey continue to be so unfancied though. Maybe their manager shanked a bookie or summat.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-39_zpstmmxa2ke.png

Expectations are the same as ever which seems to suggest that as long as I finish in the top ten and don't kill anybody I could have a job for life which is quite something in the topsy-turvy world of Highland League management given that no other manager lasts over a year.

Tactics_%20%20Overview-3_zpsu566p9q2.png

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed a slight change in formation with the IF swapping flanks. The first team still boasts Ross Allan and Michael Steven but both are under pressure from those in the second XI. This will be the first XI for the start of the season though.

Tactics_%20%20Overview-4_zpse9oekiry.png

Such talent in the Second XI as most of the class of 2018 are in it and it's not inconceivable that all of them could make the step up into the first XI by the end of the season.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-17_zpsfmmqru7v.png

We start against the traitor's side but guess what...

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-37_zps0w19e5jr.pngInbox_%20%20Inbox-38_zpsjkdu86w8.png

Oh dear, what a shame. Karma is a bitch. It's good anyway as Kieran is suspended for the first game so he wouldn't have got the kicking he deserved.

We take on Lossiemouth twice in the next month with one of them being in the North of Scotland cup. We've still not been invited back into the Aberdeenshire Cup and I'm beginning to worry that we'll never have a chance to defend our title. Still, there a worse things that could happen.

Inbox_%20%20News-4_zpsragfexb4.png

Like that. Nothing personal Hibs fans but I now hate you, your club and your degenerate and immoral board for hiring this *******. Scotland doesn't want him and I hope we get a chance to send him back south of the border as soon as possible.

July/August 2019 Update

Off we go then. Year five of this stupid project and I regret nothing.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-19_zpst4tqzncx.png

A pretty slow starting month in the league. Two draws: one rescued and one thrown away followed by a defeat and win. The first game of the season saw us nearly lose to Buckie sans Steve Harrison but Robbie Armstrong jumped off the bench to save the day and it was really heartening to see him score in the first game of the season. The next game was against Forres and despite goals from Ross Allan and Gaz Weir we drew.

We played Lossiemouth away next and just couldn't hold out. The defence had a rubbish game and despite hitting back twice through Gaz and Ross Allan we fell to a late winner and a 3-2 defeat. We managed to rescue the month with victory against Turriff. Sam Mackay got us off t a good start before Turriff equalised at half time. Changes were rung and we grew into the second half before Billy Carroll came off the bench to grab then winner. An average month in the league then but made slightly better by cup exploits.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-18_zps1ilhbnkz.png

And we're into the North of Scotland Cup semi for the first time. The second team played both games with Billy Carroll grabbing a brace against Lossiemouth in the first round (although it took extra-time) and Tobin and Stephen Martin easing us through the quarters. We might have a chance of silverware here and I'll be chasing it early on as we're just one game away from the final.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-14_zpsxavuweqi.png

Five points from four games is a slow start and we certainly don't seem consistent or solid yet. The backline is still a major concern.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-20_zpsihsk98tg.png

Next month sees six games with four in the league, our semi vs Inverurie in the North of Scotland and our yet to be drawn tie against Gretna in the Scottish Cup. The big draw being the derby against Brora at the end of the month.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-40_zpsqozn3gwk.png

We'll go into it having changed our Youth Development coach as he wasn't actually as good as I remember. He's been replaced by a better one (which is good as I'm hoping for more attacking talent).

Inbox_%20%20News-5_zpszvazcdkr.png

Speaking of attacking talent. Look who has turned up. I'll have salsa with mine...

September 2019 Update

Two cup games; four league games; the chance of a second final for Wick Academy. A heady month for those associated with Harmsworth Park...

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-22_zpstrkgolnt.png

And we start with the North of Scotland Cup semi-final. We took on Inverurie away and I swapped things around due to the way the games were this month so it was a full first XI that took them on and we got a very good 1-0 win with Ross Allan scoring. We're through to our first ever North of Scotland cup final and have a chance to see whether winning it means we'll never play it again like the Aberdeenshire Cup. We'll be facing Nairn next month in the showdown for the trophy.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-21_zps6mlo47uh.png

The league month was another inconsistent one. Sam Mackay nailed a well worked brace against Keith at home before Huntly came to Harmsworth and shut out the second XI. The second XI were on duty against Deveronvale as well and despite a pretty decent performance an early goal for them was enough to give them the win. We took on champions and arch-rivals Brora in the last game of the month and the old stagers Macadie and Big Gaz struck to give us a comfortable and well deserved 2-1 win to end the month's league campaign on a high. Unfortunately it came at a cost as Big Gaz is out for a month with a chest injury while youngster Sean Tobin who was in for Sam Mackay in this match and played well is out for two. Big losses.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-23_zpsvamxxsy1.png

The Scottish cup saw us hosting early league leaders Forres and I put out the second XI plus Sam Mackay to take them on. It was a good display with Declan Campbell grabbing his first of the season and Robbie Armstrong getting his second. He has already equaled last season's goal tally and with Big Gaz out for a few weeks he has a real chance to prove he belongs here.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-15_zpsf0bnxymn.png

We're five points back at the moment and firmly in midtable. I'm beginning to feel that we lack the consistency still for a challenge so another season of up and down awaits I think. Still, no-one looks like running away with it so far so if we can stay in touch we can always see what we can do.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-24_zpsotvahaql.png

Another six games in October with four league games and two cup games crammed into just 21 days. We have our cup final against Nairn after a visit to Formartine and then face Cove, Strathspey and Clachnacuddin to round off our league programme. The Scottish Cup gives us higher league opposition as we take on perennial losers East Stirlingshire in what is a great test of how far away from the bottom of League Two we really are.

Inbox_%20%20News-6_zpsmw1rwgcm.png

Of course all of us pale into insignificance compared to the goings on in Glasgow. We'll pray for him.

October 2019 Update

A big month. Possibly one of my biggest months in the four and a half years I've spent here with a cup final and everything. How would we fare?

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-25_zpso8apkvmq.png

Let's start at the end of the month shall we, as I like to flip a narrative on its head, and our game against perennial League 2 strugglers East Stirlingshire. We played our game and if I hadn't have gone gung-ho because I hate replays so much I'm sure we'd have got a draw and a replay. As it was we lost but we were the better team and I'm not so fussed about going out in the 2nd round.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-26_zpsligtylg4.png

An unbeaten month in the league and I think we scored all our goals in one match. The second XI played the Wednesday matches as I rotated to keep the team fresh for cup game and wouldn't you know they did pretty well. The Cove result was a stunner with Robbie Armstrong getting a well deserved brace and almost looking like a decent striker. Shame that after he had his two worst games of the season. The problem with kids eh? Still, what is heartening is the fact that McCafferty has kept several clean sheets now and seems to have suffered no ill effects from last season's lengthy lay-off. He looks very decent...

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-16_zpsno42lcyb.png

We only sit six points adrift and with all the cup games gone and our priorities shifting that is a decent place to be at this stage. We're level on points with the defending champions anyways so it can't be all bad. I feel like I'm missing something out though...

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-27_zpst7vdiyzq.png

YYEEEEOOOOOOOOOO. We took on Nairn in the North of Scotland cup (a cup I wasn't even part of when I started here) and we won our second cup final of my tenure. We were the better side throughout but as time ticked on it got more and more tense. Big Gaz was passed as not fit for the game but with ten minutes to go in normal time I shoved him on anyway. It wasn't his day though and instead it was young Greig Stewart who nailed a header in extra-time to write himself into Wick Academy history.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-41_zps5gyis5zd.png

The trophy is ours which probably means we'll never play in this tournament again. Still, I'll savour this result especially as it's one of my young 'uns who scored the winner. This is a good result and good progress for a young side. Happy days.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-28_zpsbylfrfkx.png

Onwards to the bulk of the season now as we look to put a run together in the league. Some big games coming up this month if we want to climb the table and 'll be targeting ten points at the very least. We'll probably get four to bring me back down to Wick.

Inbox_%20%20News-8_zpswjq6lrvb.png

Still, it could be worse. I could've been sacked by Dundee United after comissioning a giant painting of me for Tannadice and dumping my new wife for an even younger model and getting my teeth oranged for Scotland. The group was so outstanding as well. Let's hope Jurgen gets the job and turns it around (he does get the job).

November 2019 Update

November was a month that would tell us whether we'd gone all out for the cup and a midtable season or whether we were in a title race.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-291_zpskd5kdytp.png

In a title race then. I'd said that I wanted ten points and we got eleven and maintained the unbeaten run. We started against Fraserburgh and despite going behind early in the second half we got a well deserved win with goals from Macads and Billy Carroll nailing a late winner. We took on the league leaders next and saw Big Gaz lead us to victory and then had Ross Allan seal us a 3-0 win against Rothes.

We couldn't get another win in the last two games but Sam Mackay made sure we were undefeated with a decent equaliser in the game against Inverure. A decent month though.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-17_zpsfjtkhurw.png

So we're up to third and just four points off top. A very good month for us although I worry about whether we can stay unbeaten. Feel like we're due a run of bad. Here's hoping we stay alive though.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-29_zpsvz35haiv.png

Four games in December and we start against the league leaders Buckie with everybody's favourite traitor in their midst still. I'll take 3 points and 3 defeats if we can hammer them.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-42_zps630ukrfp.png

I got manager of the month. Doom absolutely follows...

December 2019 Update

It's nearly 2020. Already. Doesn't time fly when you're managing a side buried in the topermost part of the Highlands...

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-30_zpsudp52n6h.png

WTF. I'm starting to feel slightly uncomfortable. First of all we started by beating the traitor's side with a brace from Big Gaz. He got injured in that game and I thought maybe what I'd said in the last update would come to pass with him being out of the picture. Instead glory happened.

Two late goals against Forres were followed by Robbie Armstrong getting the only goal of the game against Lossiemouth. We finished the month against Turriff with Sam Mackay scoring a pearler and Macads coming off the bench to seal the deal. Four wins from four. OMG WTF LOL!

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-18_zpsohrafy7s.png

We're top. And I don't know how to deal with this. The added expectation and the pressure. I'm hoping for a run of defeats in January so I can just continue to meander and not have to deal with title-winning pressure. As it is though we're top and looking pretty bloody solid.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-31_zps8zq55drw.png

January sees two winnable games at the start followed by two more difficult games to end it. At this stage I'm not sure what to think. Maybe we can do it...

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-43_zps8wzz2csf.png

As we go into a new year the silly Highland League managerial merry-go-round begins again with another no logic move...

Inbox_%20%20News-9_zps4kxnnb4y.png

At least we can all rest easily in our beds now though. This was the news we were hoping for...

Sam Mackay as always. Grant Campbell has been good in an overpowered FB in the match engine kinda way and young Declan Campbell has overtaken Macadie as expected. We're not stand-out and we're not ripping up the league but we're up there.

January 2020 Update

Probably getting dizzy all the way up there! :D
Good to see you up on top.

We enter January of 2020 in a strange place. Expectation. People taking notice. PRESSURE. How would we deal with the fact that we seem to be good this year? Would we implode or would we keep the dream alive for a little bit longer (to make the inevitable collapse even worse)?

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-321_zpsgnfawr37.png

Well then. This was the month of Ross Allan as he went on a 3 game scoring run while my defence has gone back to its 2017 heyday. The result has been four huge wins that keeps us on track. Pleased to see Robbie Armstrong pick up another goal as well and we've survived Big Gaz's injury with the minimum of fuss with the big man himself getting back to scoring ways at the end of the month in one of those games where all you need is one goal to calm your nerves but it never comes. Eventually it did and then it was easy but until then we were looking a bit shaky. Will these young 'uns be able to continue to play without fear or will they start to realise what they are on the brink of achieving and fall apart?

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-19_zpsmsoezmse.png

The job is not made easier by the fact that Buckie, of course it had to be them, are right on our tail and have matched us blow for blow. Title looks a two horse race now with Cove slipping well back and Brora showing Chelsea levels of title defending. With 9 games to go we're definitely going to beat our highest points score but you just know it's not going to be enough as Steve Harrison, the traitorous *******, takes Buckie to the title. It's just so obvious where this is headed...

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-32_zpsbwhwb1ur.png

February sees three league games and the Highland Cup. It's clearly going to be the Second XI for the cup. I have no interest in it especially with a huge derby and a game against Cove this month. This could be a banana skin of a month and we will be without Sam Mackay for the run in. Our captain is out with injury for the rest of the season. A big blow.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-44_zps3fvccu2u.png

Managerial merry-go-round update. This move almost makes sense. Almost.

Just found this thread, loving every post and typically finish with the cliffhanger :eek:

Come on man, win the league and end that awful play-off curse!

I'm a big Heelan' League fan here in Cambodia. When I lived in the UK I used to follow Inverness Thistle, and now ICT are SPL big boys I look out for Caley Old Boys aka Brora - your rivals. I'm also a Scottish non-league manager in FM but as I use the dreaded editor (to make my challengers harder, making all my boys start aged 14 with CA1) I'll not be making any thread about it. But I'm loving yours so keep going until you knock Celtic of their perch! :thup::cool:

February 2020 Update

Just found this thread, loving every post and typically finish with the cliffhanger :eek:

Come on man, win the league and end that awful play-off curse!

I'm a big Heelan' League fan here in Cambodia. When I lived in the UK I used to follow Inverness Thistle, and now ICT are SPL big boys I look out for Caley Old Boys aka Brora - your rivals. I'm also a Scottish non-league manager in FM but as I use the dreaded editor (to make my challengers harder, making all my boys start aged 14 with CA1) I'll not be making any thread about it. But I'm loving yours so keep going until you knock Celtic of their perch! :thup::cool:

Big game against Cove coming up - I'm sure Buckie will have that game circled as they play catchup.

See how they come? Suddenly the world and his wife want a bite of Wick and we are there to be shot at. Before I deal with that though there was some respite from the relentlessness of a title tilt in the shape of these little babbies.

Wick%20Academy%20Youth%20Candidates_%20Squad%20Players-2_zpshlxiuav3.png

Yes indeedy it's time for the annual 'let's see my U20s get schooled by a bunch of 15 year olds' day and again I seem to be loaded with defenders. I thought changing my HOYD would help ease the flow of DCLs into my youth team but it didn't. Maybe the PE teacher at the High School was a budding utility defender and is now churning out players by the bucketload. Anyways. How did this ragtag bag get on?

Wick%20Academy%20Under%2020s%20v%20Wick%20Academy%20Youth%20Candidates_%20Stats%20Player%20Ratings-2_zps3sbvoswl.png

Well of course they won. I signed five up to the U20s. The top 3, the goalscorer and the MC with high potential. The rest can get tae ****.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-33_zpseawruxqx.png

For the ones that sign up the prestigious honour of playing in tournaments like this will be their reward. We made it past Fraserburgh thanks to Robbie Armstrong and Sam Finnis but came up short in the QF against Lossiemouth. I'm not too bothered about it because I have bigger fish to fry but I did give two more YPs their debut in this competition from last year and another from the class of 2018 which was exciting. However this wasn't the main event this month by a long shot. The league was.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-341_zpskbfggbiy.png

Oh dear. It finally happened. First our winning run falling to those bloody Brora ******** and then Cove hammering me to end our unbeaten run. We were lucky to draw against Brora too with Declan sparing our blushes with a 75th minute equaliser but there were no blushes to spare at Cove as we were outplayed. It was my 200th game in charge as well and given that my 100th game in charge was a 3-0 hammering against Brora we seem to be setting some sort of milestone precedent. Anyway we didn't have long to dwell on it and we absolutely needed to beat Strathspey at the end of the month and when we went 1-0 down in the 3rd minute I feared the worst but we seem to have character this season and came back with Big Gaz grabbing two and then Declan putting the icing on the cake. A decent end but a pretty poor month.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-20_zpsqgdywhxn.png

Luckily for us Buckie had the same month we did so we maintain our two point lead. Cove beat both of us to give themselves a sniff of the title and cannot be discounted from the shake up. It's still all in our own hands although we've looked a lot more defensively suspect this month which is a cause of concern.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-46_zpstddowk9i.png

We were given another boost this month in the shape of Macadie agreeing to be a scout and signing on as a player/scout. He is only 32 but his decline has been rapid this season. He's not rated at all now and he's certainly not first choice. I could see him retiring next year so to get him on staff is good despite his crap scouting ratings. It's not that much of a problem though as I don't scout any players anyways.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-34_zpsez3lkzx7.png

Six games left and three of them are in March. A tricky away trip to Nairn is in there and I'm pretty sure Fraserburgh won't be a picnic either. If we're going to win the title I think we'll need seven points from these three games.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-45_zpscyrxpn4l.pngInbox_%20%20Inbox-48_zpsk9i9diyb.pngInbox_%20%20Inbox-47_zpsre0xzdd2.png

Clearly February was job swap month in the Highland League. I'm just waiting for Buckie's manager to go Clachnacuddin or something now to do us a favour.

March 2020 Update

March follows February as sure as tick follows tock and the bum is definitely starting to squeak.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-36_zpspdoe702b.png

I said I wanted seven points and we delivered although not quite in the way I'd forseen. In fact in the 85th minute against Clachnacuddin at home I was all ready to burn Harmsworth to the ground with every useless ******* player of mine still in it but by the end of the Nairn game my frown had flipped turned upside down. Football eh?

We gave it away against Fraserburgh. Declan's early goal had us in charge but a set-piece give away and then a backs to the walls job from the Fraserburgh defence meant we left with only a point. Lowly Clachnacuddin were next: they won the league four years ago but are nowhere near now but they nearly cost us dear. Big Gaz gave us an early lead but again we slacked off and allowed an equaliser. I threw everyone and everything forward and then in the 86th minute Stephen Martin scored only his second goal of the season but sometimes it doesn't matter how many you score it just matters when. We won the game and headed to Nairn with a hint of optimism.

Again we took an early lead and again we then let a team back into it but my words of encouragement at half-time and slight tactical tweak were enough to undo them. They're a good side and were still right in it throughout but it was a great away performance and once Big Gaz scored a minute after Ross Allan had made it 2-1 we were safe. In the end Big Gaz could've had a hattrick but instead settled for just the two and a 4-1 win. What an end to the month.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-21_zpshygrxjcc.png

And it extends our lead by two more points. It seems Buckie are playing the team's we've just played in their next games so it really is a head to head and they could only draw with Clachnacuddin where we won. Cove are out of it now and I'm hoping Nairn will do us a favour as they look to bounce back from the thrashing we've just given them. We need just two wins to seal a most unlikely title.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-35_zpsvyt6wc24.png

So to the final three games. We have two home games against bottom of the table sides which is what you'd want. If we come away from Inverurie with a win I think we're pretty much there but I'm more than prepared for a sting in the tail...

Inbox_%20%20News-10_zpsx0pu7dbd.png

Someone else who seems delighted to get a loan move this month. Look at his face, just look at his face.

April 2020 Update

I. Hate. This. Game.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-37_zpsiuajod2c.png

Well, that's how you do a run-in innit. A defeat and two draws as we fizzled out with nary a whimper. The Inverurie game was our best performance but they were more clinical. The Rothes game was ridiculous as we could've won the title with a victory. Instead the absolutely suckered us at half-time and then defended resolutely. We managed an equaliser through Big Gaz and then played like drains up front against Fort William. What. A. Bloody. Choke.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-49_zpsy6mozbjc.png

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-22_zpsxr2vgord.png

Except it wasn't. WE DID IT!!! After five years and much shouting and gesticulating at this bunch of losers, journeymen and children we have somehow, SOMEHOW, managed to bring glory and the Highland League to Harmsworth Park. Buckie lose the title on goal difference which is a pisser for them but if they were any good they'd have taken advantage of our rubbishness. They didnae and we claimed the title.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-50_zpsaxdq7rrj.png

And a double. After seeing Brora do a double last year this was a very pleasing season. But it's not over yet as we've now got to do something no other Highland League team has done since I've been in Scotland: beat a Lowland League side. The fight for Promotion has only just begun.

Highland/Lowland League Playoff 2020 Update

Having secured the title with a whimper we had to dust ourselves off and do something no other Highland League side had done and that was beat their Lowland League counterparts.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-51_zpshzzt9kyn.png

We were drawn against Spartans who had won the league finally after several years of coming in second and coming very close. They would want it and went into the first match as favourites with their home crowd and history behind them.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-381_zpsh7vomffr.png

And it meant diddly squat as we suffocated the game with sterile possession. Declan Campbell grabbed a goal in the 49th minute and Spartans had no answer. I hadn't been expecting it to be that easy to be honest and was delighted to be taking a one goal lead back to Harmsworth. But it was only a one goal lead...

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-38_zpsf4i1tss3.png

And it nearly wasn't enough. Spartans took a lead just before half time in an even first half. I gave the team a rocket and changed from my counter strategy to my usual control home strategy. We grew back into the game as the second half continued and when a free-kick was awarded in the 61st minute Greig Stewart stepped into the box and powered the ball home. After that I expected a backs-to-the-walls job but it never happened. We dominated the rest of the game and the ball and Spartans just gave up. We'd done it. We'd beaten the curse of the Lowland League and are now two games away from League football. The dream is in touching distance. But who stand in our way?

D

Next thing you'll be winning the league, beating the Lowlands League Champions and handing East Stirling an ass whopping.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-52_zpsgjxyfzlu.png

It had to be and it'll be a tough assignment. East Stirlingshire are the Kings of doing just enough to suck another day. Will their luck finally run out or will the gap between us and League 2 be too big to bridge? In two games time we'll know for sure.

League Two Relegation Playoff 2020

Thirty-six games; one title; one rival already downed. Now, it's all down to this. Whatever happens we've made great progress both this year and in the five years I've been here. That's what I'll tell myself when we head to Lossiemouth for the first game of next season anyway but really that title will be scant consolation if we fall at the final hurdle and don't get promotion to League 2. The time to seize the day is here and make it third play-off unlucky for an East Stirlingshire side who have already beaten us this season. Let's do this...

We start at Harmsworth Park and a first leg lead is absolutely vital.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-57_zpsp7mumuzb.png

We. Were. Good. I decided not to be cautious and just go and play our natural, forward-thinking possession based game and we dominated them. Sam Finnis picked a hell of a time to score only his 2nd and 3rd goals of the season and we could've and should've had a lot more. 2-0 is a great lead to take to East Stirlingshire but the worry is that an early goal conceded there could still see us fall at the final hurdle. We've given ourselves a great chance though. Here we go.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-58_zpsve5unayu.png

We did it! We did everything! We conceded an early goal (bloody stupid set-piece rubbish) but we bloody hammered them again. To be fair we'd done the same to them in the cup earlier in the season and they jammed a similar win but it wasn't enough. We could've put it to bed several times over but missed a load of gilt edged chances and instead had to play out increasingly nervy minutes as the clock ticked around to 90. It didn't matter in the end though as East Stirlingshire's luck ran out and at the third time of asking they dropped through the trap door while we, our first shot at the play-offs, waved them by as we ascended to League 2.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-59_zps1acfr8t8.png

Promotion. With this lot. Can you bloody well believe it?

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-61_zpsjtd9xhet.png

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-60_zpshtmvt9dw.png

Looks like I broke their manager as well. I don't feel guilty though. Guilt is for the weak. Instead we are about to make all of the Scottish Football League fear us. There's a new northern destination for you fancy pants boys of League 2. Welcome to Wick bitches! Kieran - take their coats...

and the next lottery winning numbers are!!!! :cool:

I commend you for believing because I certainly didn't...

My cat saw the results

OPb1rwo.jpg

He lost a life

His death will not be in vain! I will find something to name after him this season. Even if it's changing a staff member's name through deedpoll

2019/2020 Season Review

Wick_zpsuxzkvy9g.png

Well now. What a bloody season.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-22_zpsxr2vgord.png

Top of the League. Promoted. North of Scotland Cup. Most eligible Englishman in Wick award for 2019. Was there anything we couldn't do this season?

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-65_zpsnbaoxng5.png

The press are rightly effusive as we marched towards a title, spluttered and choked like a two year old munching on a Kinder Egg toy before staggering over the line. Once we had staggered over the line however we coughed up that damned Kinder Egg toy and then punched the two older children in our way before stealing their Kinder Eggs and running off down the street. I agree with the two results as well. My 200th game hammering by Cove was a sickner but that Nairn result was the moment I believed we could do it. I still can't believe that we did it.

Squad_%20Players%20Players-4_zpsa3enbrzf.png

Here's the roll call. Some new faces, some faces establishing themselves and some old faces in their way out.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-64_zpswki9tu6n.png

Declan Campbell rightly won Player of the Year and by extension Young Player of the Year. The people of Wick continue to just flat out ignore Kieran Forbes and put Sean Tobin in his place despite the fact he has never played there. They'll only realise how much they loved him when he's gone. He captained the side during Sam Mackay's injury and led us to the title and was an ever-present in the side but we'll be damned if we're going to acknowledge him. Philistines. Goal of the season was a good shout though and Billy Carroll may well have deserved his place at LW over Sam Finnis.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-53_zpspzpcjd3t.png

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-54_zpsguubspqa.png

Declan didn't just impress our fans as he got the Highland League Player of the Year and made it (along with Ross Allan) into the team of the year although the Highland League seem to have a Fight Club style policy for naming their awards. Anyway that's not bad for an 18 year old. He really is an exciting talent.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Team%20Overview-5_zpszu5hj1jp.png

Onto the stats and this year we dominated the team stats claiming six of the ten including the best defence for a third year I believe.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Team%20Overview-6_zpsrlhc42vp.png

This one was a new one and a surprising one as we don't tend to cross given that we 'work the ball into the box'. Still, I'll take it.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Team%20Overview-10_zpsl1p11wtt.png

We also claimed the most shut-outs although McCarthy's time out with an injury meant he didn't claim the individual award.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Team%20Overview-8_zpsy6h5y8vp.png

Possession as always is key to the way we play and we dominated that.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Team%20Overview-7_zpsvelthize.png

We also dominated the passing but had company in the shape of Lossiemouth. It seems that the 'Mouth are looking to emulate our style of play. Might be worth keeping an eye out on how they get on next season.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Team%20Overview-9_zpskquuacci.png

And no silky and smooth Wick side is complete without it's midfield kick-merchants and they didn't let me down claiming nearly a hundred more fouls than our nearest competitors.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Player%20Overview-7_zpsaqtlf7uh.png

Player stats and three main ones as well as the two highest rated players, Declan claiming the most MOTM awards and Kieran coming top of the yellow card list (obvs).

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Player%20Overview-5_zpsdoiqhw6q.png

Ross Allan comes from nowhere to win his first running award since he claimed the 400m during third year sports day. Amazing how much difference he makes when he can be arsed.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Player%20Overview-2_zpsccyf5dzd.png

Declan Campbell claims Macadie's key passes award. He has truly claimed his mentor's mantle. Sam Mackay's injury prevented him from taking his customary 2nd place in this table.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Stats%20Player%20Overview-6_zpsnwopspt4.png

And Sean conceded the least goals in the league. Phew.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-66_zpsqqyyld73.png

FIVE TIMES. WE CAN KEEP THE TAX RECEIPT. Pride of place next to that Highland League Trophy.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-67_zps6hzzvqee.png

And bloody hell. Promotion has suddenly made our Chairman play hardball with the sponsors. Well, one of 'em anyways. What a time to be a Wick fan.

Around Scotland 2019/2020

Suddenly these updates mean a little bit more as Wick drag themselves out of the Highlands to the start of National recognition and the opportunity to be mentioned in the pools. Let's see what kind of Scotland we're going to emerge into.

Scottish%20Lowland%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-3_zpsmbwzikhm.png

Spartans obviously won the Lowland League by just a point from Selkirk and Stirling who remain in the Lowland League. It's the closest they've been since their relegation though and they'll be looking to to take us on in the relegation play-off next season. Gretna's constant flirt with the bottom of the table ended in full on intercourse as they were relegated.

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-23_zpsufnlvhe3.png

Highland%20Football%20League_%20Overview%20Stages-24_zpsijbwbiny.png

And of course, we all know what happened next...

Ladbrokes%20League%202_%20Overview%20Stages-3_zpsxjmjoqav.png

Onto League Two, the league we'll be in next year (have I mentioned it?), and Clyde won't have to the honour of having to visit Harmsworth as they return to League One after an absence of two years. East Fife couldn't get back up at the first time of asking failing in the play-offs while Elgin were well off the pace. At the bottom East Stirlingshire's luck finally ran out and they will drop into non-league.

Ladbrokes%20League%201_%20Overview%20Stages-3_zpsyjtxtv9d.png

A team who will be visiting Harmsworth Park next season are Berwick who are relegated by a point in what was a very close bottom of the table. Last season's promotees both did well with Stenhousemuir well clear of relegation and Stirling Uni (the only league side with Stirling in the name now) getting into the play-offs. They weren't promoted though as Alloa claimed the play-off win and Dunfermline bounced back with the title. Morton couldn't do much and stay another day.

Ladbrokes%20Championship_%20Overview%20Stages-3_zpsbcrknfn4.png

The Championship proved a more difficult jump for the promoted teams from League One with Forfar dropping straight back and Stranraer escaping the relegation play-off by just a point condemning Queen of the South to League One next year. Hamilton return to the Premiership at the first time of asking winning in the play-offs while Motherwell return after a two season absence by winning the title.

Ladbrokes%20Premiership_%20Overview%20Stages-3_zpsxntclwyc.png

Onto the Premiership then and at the wrong end Ross County and Partick Thistle drop down into the Championship allowing Kilmarnock to survive their first season back by the skin of their teeth. St Johnstone and Super Cally do the decent thing and don't go on a run but the same can't be said for Dundee who ruin the table by having more points than sixth place. Doesn't everyone love the split? On the other side of the divide Hibs got less points than 7th place but got into 5th probably due to the fact that Steve Evans is a dodgy *******. Aberdeen and Hearts join champions Celtic who win again and leave Rangers in no man's land. I imagine that won't stop Micky Mellon claiming Manager of the Year though...

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-55_zpstvzdgzsw.png

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-62_zpsvg2c32uy.png

Nope. Turns out his royal dodginess has got both awards for cheating his way to fifth and luckily winning the cup. Looks like it's up to us to draw Hibs in the cups and get rid of him ourselves. Nice to see Jurgen get some recognition and nice to see Ronnie get some too. It's only his seventh consecutive title or summat like that...

Summer 2020 Youth Update

A coming of age season for some and an end of the line season for others (although they are still here at the moment). Let's see how the alumni of the Wick Youth Academy are getting on.

2015 Intake

Brian Petrie (YP 0.1): Three sub appearances and one start in a season where I was searching for a partner for Greig Stewart suggests that Brian's time is coming to an end. They're are just far too many better options now for CB and LB. On his way soon I feel.

Jordan Evans (YP 0.2): A steady season for Jordan at LB but he does have a tendency to go missing in some games and given the way fullbacks are rated a rating of 6.98 isn't as impressive as it could sound. He's growing into the roll though and will still be first choice next season although they're could be some competition coming from the 2019 and 2020 intakes so he will need to up his game.

Kieran Forbes (YP 0.3): Captain, leader, legend and best of all he's not gonna shag your bird or park in two disabled places coz he's a decent bloke. Despite another +7 season from Kieran he is still denied a place in the team of the year or the best XI despite being an ever present for four years now. He doesn't care though and he's looking forward to nobbling the first League Two strikers who think they can have the run of Harmsworth Park when they come a-visiting.

Kevin Shearer (YP 0.4): Pretty much over for Kevin. He's not going to make it here. Like Brian there are just too many players ahead of him and he's not kicked on.

Craig Charlesworth (YP 0.5): He'll get another year but is very much battling for third choice RM. Might send him to St Cuthberts next season to get some game time or he is just gonna stagnate and go.

Darren Hendry (YP 0.6): Another who is going to go on the scrap heap I think. Too many players ahead of him and his low determination has seen him not kick on. Hope he's got a job lined up.

Ross Nairn (YP 0.7): Are you still here?

Jamie Hendry (YP 0.8): Had some games early on but got a bad injury halfway through and that was his season over. He's going to have some stiff competition for the LB second XI berth and his ratings have seriously dropped but he's earned a chance. I hope he can comeback

Eric Campbell (YP 0.9): Will be gone soon. We never really liked him anyway.

2016 Update

Chris Morrison (YP 1.1): Bit of a comeback season for Chris who was part of the backline during our good shut-out run but he has a tendency to go on some poor runs and was the player at fault for both Cove goals in THAT defeat. Still an important member of the squad and is probably a second XI starter at the moment.

Robert Armstrong (YP 1.2): What a difference a year makes. Back in February 2019 his career was going nowhere and he was looking at over a whole season without a goal. Fast foward a year and you've got a player who has really grown in stature. Eight goals and six assists in fifteen starts is pretty good going. Didn't finish the season so well but I'm hoping it's a corner turned.

David Jackson (YP 1.5): One start and three sub appearances. He's very much a back-up's back-up and doesn't look like progressing any further than that. I'll keep him around though for now as he's not awful by any stretch.

2017 Update

Ciaran Begg (YP 2.1): Eleven starts and a +7 rating. The other Ciaran continues to be an able deputy to his namesake. A key member of my bench and is of first team level.

Eric McCafferty (YP 2.2): Eight games and five clean sheets including three out of three in the league. Very impressive from a player who I think can easily make the step up to the first team if Sean McCarthy gets injured, annoyed or sold from under me.

Jamie Vance (YP 2.3): Fighting Craigy C for the 3rd choice RM berth. That's his lot at the moment. Easily bench worthy if injuries hit but other than that he's waiting his turn.

Kenny Charlesworth (YP 2.4): Supremely underwhelming. No reason to pick him at the moment but Big Gaz isn't getting any younger so he may have a chance to come again. He waits though.

David Allan (YP 2.5): Well down the LB pecking order. May have a shot if Jamie Hendry can't recover his form from his injury but there are still much better options ahead of him.

Billy Carroll (YP 2.6): Made fifteen starts and fourteen sub appearances which is indicative of how neither he nor Sam Finnis managed to nail down the LW starting spot. Four goals and two assists was apparently enough to get him into the fan's team of the year but those idiots won't pick Kieran so what do they know. Very much a first team squad player though.

2018 Intake

Greig Stewart (YP 3.1): Best defender in the team and played the most games of any CB this season. Pretty solid and dependable and is rated as someone who can perform at League Two level. Our survival chances will very much depend on him taking the lead and gaining a higher level of consistency though he is the most consistent of an inconsistent CB bunch.

Declan Campbell (YP 3.2): What a bloody season from him. If we're going to survive a lot rests on his young shoulders but if his dominating performances at Highland League level are anything to go by the step up should be doable. Took the fans and the League's gongs. A very good return.

Sam Finnis (YP 3.3): Favoured as the first choice LW but was very inconsistent and didn't score as many goals as he did last year. Did score possibly two of our most important goals so he clearly has talent but I'll be looking for much more from him next year.

Stepen Martin (YP 3.4): Could've been a first XI player but Ross Allan clearly knew he was waiting in the wings and produced his best ever season. When Ross was suspended, injured or rested Stephen performed admirably though. He may have only scored one goal but it was a vital winner during our shaky period towards the end which shows his got the temperament. An important player moving ahead I think.

Sean Tobin (YP 3.5): Just a sub and a second XI starter at the start of the season but Sam Mackay's injury meant he played every game from February onwards. Averaged over 7.5 and performed pretty much as Sam would have which meant we didn't feel his absence and he didn't get dropped when Sam returned to fitness in time for the play-offs. May start back in the second XI and bench next season but has proved that he is Sam's heir apparent.

David Charlesworth (YP 3.6): Was tagged and on the bench last year but broke through this year having stints as Greig's partner before sealing the berth towards the end of the season. Will probably start as Greig's first choice partner next season but will need to be more consistent if he is going to stay there.

Adam Kellacher (YP 3.7): Not tagged in the initial sweep of the class of 2018 but he looked promising in the U20s and went on loan to St Cuthberts where he performed pretty well. On his return he became the back-up CM when Sam Mackay was injured and played three games for the club. Depending on how Sam recovers from his injury he could well see more game time next season.

Sean Charlesworth (YP 3.8): Another not tagged in the initial sweep. Looks as promising as Eric McCafferty does and went on loan to St Cuthberts. He'll probably go again next season but he's definitely ahead of Eric Campbell in the pecking order but then so am I.

2019 Intake

Cammy Mackay (YP 4.1): Back-up RB. Played most of his games early season in the cups and league but Campbell is one of our best players so is a hard player to dislodge. A season of promise for Cammy though and he will continue to get game time next year.

Steve Reilly (YP 4.2): One of several promising DCL who have appeared in the last two intakes. He's tagged for now but I'm not sure how likely he will be to develop into a first team regular yet. May get a loan next year.

Dan Mathieson (YP 4.3): More promising looking than his classmate which led to him making some early season starts in the cups. Didn't disgrace himself. One to keep an eye on anyways.

2020 Intake

James Nairn (YP 5.1): Very rated by my coaches and can play at LB too. Due to this he went straight onto the bench in the run in and more often than not came on to replace which ever CB was underperforming in that game. Did pretty well considering and will definitely be part of the second XI preseason. Could well find his way into the first team by the end of next season.

Youth Analysis

A season full of intrigue. The class of 2015 begin to drift away with only two of the nine having established themselves and a third only being a maybe. The class of 2018 continue to provide the highest quality to the side with most of them playing a large part in our promotion while the classes of 2019 and 2020 offer us strength in defence. I fully expect some of the class of 2017 to disappear in the next year and am hoping that some non-tagged players make themselves known. Either way we're going to have to hope that the 2018 backbone can make the step up otherwise we're destined for a brief stay in League Two.

Oh and bad news...

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-68_zpssjndwtgn.png

He has NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE NOW!

Wick Academy 2015-2020, a Retrospective

Wick_zpsuxzkvy9g.png

I thought it might be time for a little look at the club and how we and I are looking given that it's been five years since I got the job and we've now ascended to the promised land of League 2.

Wick%20Academy_%20%20General_zpse3wbrilb.png

We start by looking at the club itself. We've gained another half a star of reputation to become a one star team which is almost worth a trophy in itself. Everything was pretty much a blank slate when I took over apart from our rivalry with Brora so I've added about 30k to the value of the club, around 13 more season ticket holders and given the team players to idolise. Sam Mackay and Ross Allan have qualified for legend status while Declan Campbell is already an icon. Grant Campbell has become favoured personal but I'm not sure what I have to do to get on that list. After all...

Wick%20Academy_%20History%20Overview_zpsgpkbuceq.png

I've filled the trophy cabinet. Three trophies in my first five years isn't too bad for a non-league side. The Aberdeenshire Cup win in 2016 was followed by this season's double of the North of Scotland Cup and the Highland League. We'd never finished below 4th in the league with a runner's up spot and two third places to our name before the title this season.

Home_%20My%20Profile%20Profile_zpsj7ojhvwo.png

How does that make me look then? Well I've certainly got a lot better at attacking and defending coaching which is nice to see. I find it hilarious that this is a Give Youth a Chance challenge yet my youngsters stat is 1. I've asked every season to go on a coaching course but they either say they don't want me to go or can't afford it. I am the least qualified member of staff at the club and that includes my scouts.

Let's have a look at the squad then and compare it to when I started

Tactics_%20%20Overview_zps21tj5n0g.png

Ha, will you look at this hilarious XI?

Tactics_%20%20Overview-5_zps39skl8xo.png

As you can see only Big Gaz, Grant Campbell and Ross Allan remain from that original out-field line-up and to be fair to them they have been ever-presents for the past five years and will all play a big part next year. Macadie is obviously still at the club and will be a back-up from the bench while Manson didn't really play that many games before becoming a full-time coach and then my Assistant Manager a few years later. Of the rest Grant Steven, James Pickles and (spoiler alert) Danny Mackay have left the club, Steve Harrison doesn't exist and Michael Steven has dropped down the pecking order. Sam Mackay didn't even start playing till halfway through that first season and nor did Kieran but once they broke in they, along with the other ever-presents, formed the backbone of our Highland League years.

Squad_%20Squad%20Depth%20Overview_zpsop3r7lja.png

Squad_%20Squad%20Depth%20Overview_zpspsdqjfpd.png

A very interesting comparison here. It definitely looks like we've strengthened and we're obviously League Two level now. The weans have certainly turned this team around in the five years I've been here.

Wick%20Academy_%20History%20Best%20Eleven_zpsmxb7uagk.png

The best XI is a shambles however. I imagine it'll take another year for the formation to swap to the one I'm using now but even so this is an awful XI even if you weren't discussing Craig Charlesworth's bizarre appearance. Personally my best XI would maybe swap Greig Stewart with Chris Morrison in at CB, move Ross to RM, move Harrison (the traitorous *******: it hurts coz he was good) to LM, Sam to CM and place Kieran in his rightful spot. I'm going to be absolutely livid if this doesn't right itself in a few years and Kieran doesn't get into it.

Wick%20Academy_%20History%20Records1_zpsxlf1gplt.pngWick%20Academy_%20History%20Records11_zpsjbcyiq24.pngWick%20Academy_%20History%20Records_zps91yodses.png

Finally some history. Big Gaz leads our goalscoring charts with 70 league goals. I don't see him breaking a hundred as he scored around 15 a year in the league below and I'm not sure he has two more years at the top. We'll see though. Appearance record has swapped around a lot as my ever-presents all start dropping out or being injured. Big Gaz, Sam Mackay and Michael Steven all held it at some stage and Sean McCarthy has it at the moment. Long-term I expect Kieran to claim it but McCarthy is still only in his mid-twenties so could go on to set a good mark.

Ciaran Begg holds the record for our youngest ever player and looks like being a core member for years to come; Gary Manson is still our oldest player but I expect either Macadie or Big Gaz to surpass him at some point. Not surprising that Macadie is our oldest scorer and Big Gaz holds our goalscoring records. Robbie Armstrong is our youngest scorer so far (shame it took him another two years or so to get another goal after) and that's clearly down to the lack of decent strikers we've had coming through.

Strangely all our game records are from my first season although I expect we may be about to break our biggest defeat next season. The sequence records are no surprise with our best ones being set this season and our worst being set in the season we finished fourth. Our highest attendance so far came from last season's cup final. Which was nice.

So, what do we expect from the next five years? Well if the previous five are anything to go by lots of inconsistency, lots of stupidity and maybe a chance of establishing ourselves as a decent League Two side. Also I would like Kieran Forbes to get some form of recognition by his fans at some point as well.

2015-2020 Awards

Best Player: Richard Macadie - made us tick the last five years and we're very lucky that Declan Campbell looks like he can do a job for us. Sean McCarthy deserves a shout-out here.

Favourite Result: That Annan cup game does still live long in the memory but the 2-0 home win against East Stirlingshire was so delicious I could eat it.

Least Favourite Result: The stuffing we took off of Brora in my 100th game in charge. The worst result in my worst season to date against our arch-rivals. ********.

Favourite Goal: Brilliant passing around the box and then twenty-five yards out Kieran Forbes curls a beauty into the top corner. Don't think he's scored since and to be fair if you've score the perfect goal why would you?

Favourite Player from each Intake:

2015 - Kieran Forbes (YP 0.3) - I promised myself I wouldn't go on about him too much in this update so...

2016 - Robbie Armstrong (YP 1.2) - He was rubbish for years and I thought I was gonna have to get rid of him but then he did a goal last season and scored nearly ten this.

2017 - Ciaran Begg (YP 2.1) - I might have a thing for DMs...

2018 - Declan Campbell (YP 3.2) - Appeared at just the right time and burned through the Highland League. Here's hoping for some more next season.

2019 - Cammy Mackay (YP 4.1) - it's a rule that you must have a fullback called Mackay in your team at all times.

Biggest Wastes of Spaces: Ross Narin (YP 0.7) and Grant Steven. Talent but couldn't be arsed.

Predictions

Big Gaz to score 89 league goals and that record to still be standing in 2025

Kieran Forbes still not selected in Team of the Year or Best XI

Sam Mackay to leave and play for someone else

Us to still be in League 2

No striker to have still come through

Grant Campbell to be my physio

Ross Nairn to still be stealing a living at the club

If you can think of an award or a prediction feel free. Here's to five more years!

Pre-Season 2020 Update

After the madness of May and promotion (I'm still pinching myself) we head into my sixth pre-season and our first as a League Club. Before we got into friendlies and stuff I tried to get the following from my board.

An increase in junior coaching budget

Better training facilities

A chance to go and get my first coaching badge

more coaches

Better youth facilities

Turn professional

A contract that wasn't half of what I was on now.

And how many do you think I got out of those? Go on, have a guess. I'll wait...

Have you guessed? If you guessed none of the above then you are dead wrong as they did agree to increasing the junior coaching budget but everything else was a big fat no. As for my contract, I didn't even want to renew but they offered me the chance and then offered to halve my wage. I tried to negotiate them to what I'm on now and they wouldn't have it so in the end I decided not to bother renewing. I'm hoping the board aren't about to do something very stupid and were assuming I was still drunk from the promotion party but I wasn't impressed with the offer.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures1_zps0xof7ilz.png

Onto the friendlies then and you know the drill. Lose to sides a few divisions above us to earn money and then beat up on sides in the leagues below us (except for Forres who clearly hadn't read the script). The Peterhead result along with St Mirren results were the stand-outs as was the Falkirk one due to me playing my U20s. My players had come back super knackered from pre-season so after giving them halves each in the first two games and seeing them still cream-crackered I rested them for that game and allowed my youth side to impress me and to be fair a 2-0 defeat away to Falkirk isnae too bad. It also served the purpose of allowing my players to catch their breath but I'm not sure why they were so tired especially as there was that one summer they didn't even go on holiday. Anyway it looks like their are no long lasting detrimental effects and we seem ready for the beginning of the season.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox_zpslw30mljf.png

Preseason also saw the debut of a new cup honouring the cat who believed too much. This will now be a consistent part of our pre-season and there was a minute's silence in the semi-final followed by a minute's applause in the final.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-6_zpsdaeqnexw.png

Which we won. Sam Mackay did a very touching speech in the clubhouse after the match and everyone there was moved to horrible tears.

Tactics_%20%20Overview_zpssdy3rwpn.png

This is the first XI for the season and Sam Finnis will have a chance to impress first up on the left again as he seems to have a higher ceiling than Billy Carroll. Declan has earned his place in the first XI as has David Charlesworth. Sam Mackay obviously has to come back in but if that injury has had an affect on him then Sean Tobin might find himself in the first XI again before the end of the season.

Tactics_%20%20Overview-2_zpshnvbwwj4.png

No real surprised in the second XI with Richard Macadie very much a back-up now. James Nairn starts as first choice CB in the second XI which means that Michael Steven's time at the club will probably be drawing to an end. He's already moaning about lack of game time so he could go before the end of August.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-5_zpsnjcjps9i.pngInbox_%20%20Inbox-3_zpsgocdvs2t.pngInbox_%20%20Inbox-4_zpskv66eu6z.pngInbox_%20%20Inbox-2_zpskjfc0dfg.png

A culling occurred and the class of 2015 bore the brunt. None of these players have developed as well as they should and none of them would have been in and around the third XI let alone the first. I reckon Eric Campbell might get picked up by someone else but that would be about it. Darren Hendry is our most memorable YP to leave with his 81 appearances and a fair few goals (especially in the first season) but he just wasnae good enough. Craig Charlesworth (YP 0.5) stays for now but I did seriously consider dropping him.

Danny Mackay also left and I forgot to screenshot it (will try and do it later when I load up the game). He was a very good player and got into the Highland League team of the year in 2017 but lost form in the 2018/19 season and then was overtaken by Jordan Evans and Jamie Hendry. He should get another club and leaves with our thanks. He'll be welcome back unlike that ******* Steve Harrison.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures_zpsza7q6yea.png

A very busy late July/August then as we have our debut in three different competitions. We go back to Falkirk in the Challenge Cup 1st round to see if our First XI can do better than our U20s and then we have a trip to Motherwell in the League Cup (which is a ******* of a draw). I'm pleased that our first game in League 2 is at home as we welcome Brechin to Harmsworth before trips to Elgin and East Fife. Montrose will be the second side to see Harmsworth before we make the long-arse trip to Berwick at the end of the month. No chance to ease into it then. Let's do this.

Schrodinger would be very proud of the honour you bestowed upon him :cool:

I am sure there was many a glass raised after Sam Mackays speech

A more prestigious cup than Arsenal's Emirates Cup.

The trophy is shaped like a cat too. The first statue outside Harmsworth may be of Schrodinger.

Archived